• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA Cuts GeForce GTX TITAN-Z Price by 37 Percent, But for OEMs Only

System Name MoneySink
Processor 2600K @ 4.8
Motherboard P8Z77-V
Cooling AC NexXxos XT45 360, RayStorm, D5T+XSPC tank, Tygon R-3603, Bitspower
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600C8
Video Card(s) GTX 780 SLI (EVGA SC ACX + Giga GHz Ed.)
Storage Kingston HyperX SSD (128) OS, WD RE4 (1TB), RE2 (1TB), Cav. Black (2 x 500GB), Red (4TB)
Display(s) Achieva Shimian QH270-IPSMS (2560x1440) S-IPS
Case NZXT Switch 810
Audio Device(s) onboard Realtek yawn edition
Power Supply Seasonic X-1050
Software Win8.1 Pro
Benchmark Scores 3.5 litres of Pale Ale in 18 minutes.
NVidia felt that the R9-295x, AMD Dual GPU solution for gaming, was going to be a Frame Time Variance Flop like the AMD 7990....
I think the scenario is somewhat simpler than what you've postulated. The HD 7990 had power-to-heat-to-performance issues (evidenced by basically everyone on the net). The previous HD 6990 also suffered from the same issue and needed some jiggery-pokery with dual BIOS switches to somewhat conform to the PCI-SIG. Nvidia likely felt that AMD would suffer the same heat/power/perf quandary with the 295X2 - what they obviously didn't account for was AMD going for broke - adding a hybrid watercooled solution and thumbing its nose at not just the PCI-SIG but the electrical specification guidelines for PSU cabling. Probably safe to say that the 295X2 if saddled with air cooling would have performed to a much lesser degree. In that scenario the Titan Z would outperform it, and as top dog, command the halo pricing.
As if history was going to repeat itself a 2nd time for AMD, and that's the error NVidia made with the pricing of the GTX Titan-Z. You see, in NVidia's mind, they felt AMD was going to fail, AMD Consumers would face-palm, NVidia Consumers would call AMD on their fails, and NVidia could reap the benefits of AMD's 2nd failure at producing a properly functioning, dual GPU card. Sadly for NVidia, it didn't happen, and they basically over-priced a GTX Titan Black x2 on one video card at 2x the Price for 2x the revenue returns.
Basically yes I think, and as the54thvoid alluded to, Nvidia doesn't undermine the brand by excessive price cutting (especially for new SKUs) - it's never been their way. A small percentage of people will work themselves up into hysteria, but the vast majority of consumers just tend to concentrate on the models within their budget.
If the competition (AMD) couldn't produce a functioning product, consumer from both sides would flock to the NVidia Dual GPU Flavor of the Year, and pay outrageous prices for it.
I don't know if "flock" is the right word. The Titan Z (and the 295X2 for that matter) are more marketing tools than any significant sales factor. The 295X2 is supposed to be all that and a bag of chips according to its admirers - what's not to like? two $550 video cards selling for $1500, yet you don't see any meaningful sales penetration.
Sadly, a GTX 780 Ti SLI setup is cheaper and performs better than a GTX Titan-Z on 1080p, and in some cases, GTX Titan-Z does better at 4K resolutions to an extent. R9-295x does about the same or better than GTX Titan-Z on both 1080p and 4K for roughly 1/3 of the price. GTX Titan-Z, GTX Titan Black, and GTX 780 Ti all have the same Cuda Cores Count.
...and two factory OC'ed R9 290X for $1100 (or less) would run rings around all of them on a price-performance basis ( or two 290 (non-X) for ~$800). Even comparing like-for-like how does a $1500 295X2 justify its premium - is an AIO worth $400? Is the world full of deep pocketed people with SFF systems?
Pricing at the high end seldom makes sense at a performance PoV - or depreciation for that matter considering we're only 6-8 months from seeing a new lineup from both companies. FWIW, 16nmFF already has production underway, and the follow-on 16nmFF+ will be qualified next month - from TSMC's Q2 2014 earnings transcript (PDF)
Mark Liu - Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company Ltd - President & Co-CEO
Okay. 16 FinFET plus will be qualified in September. But remember, we and our customer work on 16 FinFET design one and a half years before. So all the customer already design -- the design is on 16 FinFET, okay. So the customer -- for those customers when the product tape out -- for example, we have a first product tapeout this month, it will ride on 16 FinFET process. And for those customers taped out in the second half, mostly, I would say mostly, will be riding on the 16 FinFET plus. So I would think majority of our process customers will run on 16 FinFET plus. And looking into the volume for the next year, I would say that most of the product will be run on 16 FinFET plus.
Does any kind of major high-end graphics expenditure now make that much sense?
Again, I believe this card should have been advertised and made as a Quadro successor, or an in-between-er before a K7000 Quadro card.
According to some sources, the dual GK 110 will be offered as the Quadro K80

Last edited:
Processor AMD FX-8320
Motherboard AsRock 970 PRO3 R2.0
Cooling Thermalright Ultra120 eXtreme + 2 LED Green fans
Memory 2 x 4096 MB DDR3-1333 A-Data
Video Card(s) SAPPHIRE 4096M R9 FURY X 4G D5
Storage ST1000VX000 • SV35.6 Series™ 1000 GB 7200 rpm
Display(s) Acer S277HK wmidpp 27" 4K (3840 x 2160) IPS
Case Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus Black + Red Lights
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek
Power Supply OCZ ProXStream 1000W
Mouse Genius NetScroll 100X
Keyboard Logitech Wave
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Go and denigrate Intel, they've just released another $1000 chip.

Sick, confused minds everywhere ("smart" in the meaningless, and bad in the meaningful), it is said not to argue with idiots because they will lower you to their level and beat you with experience but at this time I will make an exception.

Intel is the monopolistic, anti-democracy crap ever existed. You with your western culture are supposed to create some type of opposition. Isn't this exactly what you always pretend? Why do you send someone else to do what you are supposed?

So, now go and you do something but aggressively because aggression is the way for success in these cases! :D

Anyways, this 1k$ chip will last you a lot longer than that 3k$ joke of nature.

System Name MoneySink
Processor 2600K @ 4.8
Motherboard P8Z77-V
Cooling AC NexXxos XT45 360, RayStorm, D5T+XSPC tank, Tygon R-3603, Bitspower
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600C8
Video Card(s) GTX 780 SLI (EVGA SC ACX + Giga GHz Ed.)
Storage Kingston HyperX SSD (128) OS, WD RE4 (1TB), RE2 (1TB), Cav. Black (2 x 500GB), Red (4TB)
Display(s) Achieva Shimian QH270-IPSMS (2560x1440) S-IPS
Case NZXT Switch 810
Audio Device(s) onboard Realtek yawn edition
Power Supply Seasonic X-1050
Software Win8.1 Pro
Benchmark Scores 3.5 litres of Pale Ale in 18 minutes.
Intel is the monopolistic, anti-democracy crap ever existed.

BTW, John D. Rockefeller says thanks for not thinking of him, as do a slew of other companies. I guess History isn't taught at the School of Moral Outrage.:laugh:
It's not even the most contentious in recent tech history - Microsoft's antics are a hard act to follow, as was IBM's 41 years under the DoJ's consent decree.
You with your western culture are supposed to create some type of opposition.
Like ARM ? Technically, a free market economy - I presume that's what you meant by "western culture", breeds plenty of competition - it is also ruthless in removing those who make bad decisions. ;)
Isn't this exactly what you always pretend? Why do you send someone else to do what you are supposed?
Rod Serling called...he wants his Twilight Zone back :eek:
Anyways, this 1k$ chip will last you a lot longer than that 3k$ joke of nature.
Your Biology teacher needs a swift kick. Man-made machines aren't considered a class of the natural world. :confused:

Last edited:
System Name PC.
Processor i7 2600K 5.0Gh,i7 3770K 5.00Gh. EK, Liqed Coooleng
Motherboard P67A-UD7-B3 Gigabyte T.,ASUS,P8Z77-V PREMIUM,MAXIMUS V EXTRIME..
Cooling Liqed Cooleng ,EK Suprime LTX Nickel,EK for Motherboard,Aqua computer (WGA), Thermaltake .... 0i,
Memory G.SKILL F3-17600CL7-2GBPISG. 16GBSkill Sniper F3-17000CL94GBSR on 2400Hz 10-12-11-29 1
Video Card(s) GTX590 ,SLI ,POV TGT best 691Hz ,LiqedCoold,GTX480.....GTX1080MSI SeaHawkEK SLI
Storage OCZ-REVODRIVE 3-240GB,2xCrucialMX100.512.R-0,1x LMT-32L3m,3x 1TB-WD,1x;1x2TbSEAGATE1x2Tb Seagate
Display(s) DELL-U2412Mb,Samsung Synkmaster245B,HP ENVY 34c
Case Thermaltake, NZXT SWITCH 810SE
Audio Device(s) CREATIVE BLASTER X-Fi Titanium HD , AUNE T1MK2 TUBE USB
Power Supply ENERMAX Platimax 1500W,Thermaltake 1500W
Mouse VIPER V560,FUNC MS-3, Prestigio, R.A.T.E.7 and 5,LogitechG502,RAZER,Inperator.,dead...a.s.o.
Keyboard Trust ....LogotechG410
Software Windows7 64....
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Fire Strike 21.385 (37.234,11.828,7.176)
What is FCWB?

No offense man, but as HumanSmoke said: 10% of all topics are devoted to TitanZ. In my opinion leave people be. It's their free will, their money, end of story.
Are you really so blind. 9800 GX2, GTX295, GTX590 stood in issuing at 600 $ and there is now 3000$ normal price at issue is the enormous inflation or someone is very greedy. giwen games are console crap . 4 x Titan Black edition you geth for 3,000$. The card is issued before the end of Kepler production and not at least a year before .The main purpose is ti sell stocks processors at the end. It was not expensive for production or development !
So fetish ! Dont geth me rong I want them buth i cannot afford them Price is still abnormal !
Cheering for nVidia and pey to made foll of your self .:shadedshu:

Last edited: