• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ACCC Sues Valve

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
Some of this shit is due to lack of or false info from the game company's too. About a year ago me and a friend picked up a rugby game ( think it was called Rugby challenge which the Steam front page claimed that it had coop.

So when we got in to dropping $100 all to find that the game only had coop if you played local cool, the company did not give a dam about the misleading details and the info was correct. How ever Steam did refund but all so included i would not be entitled to another refund. O yea they change the details soon later to just local coop.

If your sold the game that's printed\reported in some way to be some thing that it's not i think you should get a refund regardless of other bullshit as it's false advertising.

D

Deleted member 67555

I hope the ACCC wins and I hope people everywhere say "Fuck This Shit" as well...

I know I'm sick of getting bad software that was knowingly falsely advertised.

Sure it doesn't happen all the time but it does happen...

and it really really pisses me off when it does....

To me it's no different from stealing and like any thief that steals from me it makes me wanna do violent things to them.

System Name Night Rider | Mini LAN PC | Workhorse
Processor AMD R7 5800X3D | Ryzen 1600X | i7 970
Motherboard MSi AM4 Pro Carbon | GA- | Gigabyte EX58-UD5
Cooling Noctua U9S Twin Fan| Stock Cooler, Copper Core)| Big shairkan B
Memory 2x8GB DDR4 G.Skill Ripjaws 3600MHz| 2x8GB Corsair 3000 | 6x2GB DDR3 1300 Corsair
Video Card(s) MSI AMD 6750XT | 6500XT | MSI RX 580 8GB
Storage 1TB WD Black NVME / 250GB SSD /2TB WD Black | 500GB SSD WD, 2x1TB, 1x750 | WD 500 SSD/Seagate 320
Display(s) LG 27" 1440P| Samsung 20" S20C300L/DELL 15" | 22" DELL/19"DELL
Case LIAN LI PC-18 | Mini ATX Case (custom) | Atrix C4 9001
Audio Device(s) Onboard | Onbaord | Onboard
Power Supply Silverstone 850 | Silverstone Mini 450W | Corsair CX-750
Mouse Coolermaster Pro | Rapoo V900 | Gigabyte 6850X
Keyboard MAX Keyboard Nighthawk X8 | Creative Fatal1ty eluminx | Some POS Logitech
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 | Windows 10 Pro 64 | Windows 7 Pro 64/Windows 10 Home
Valve cannot fix broken games (unless it is theirs). Publisher: developers don't deal with distributors (like Steam) unless it is self-published.

Exactly!! Just like ever other shop. Its still there responsibility to get the issue fixed no matter if its there's or not, this doesn't mean fixing the game or product but giving the customer back there money or getting it fixed some other way. Thats how the law works here in AUS, dont get it mixed up with other countries.

Because digital goods are infinite. There is virtually no cost to reproduce it and forgeries are just as easy to produce. It is about selling access to intellectual property and not something tangible. That's why virtually all countries distinguish between tangible and intangible goods.

No your not getting it, it makes no difference what so ever. It has nothing to do with been digital or not or how its produced or how its brought to the public, the law is the law and it states that ANYTHING that is sold here in Australia that the customer is not pleased with or seems to not work or whatever it may be can be returned for a refund or fixed, period, no if's or but's or anything, thats the law!

Define "faulty." Games, music, movies, etc. are all considered works of art. A game can be, therefore, be "faulty" by design. If Microsoft Word had something designed in a way you didn't like, is that "faulty?" All software is not without "faults." Where do you draw the line between something that is truly broken and something that is merely buggy? I, and most countries, say law cannot define that; the courts must on a case-by-case basis and usually on the premise of more concrete consumer protection law like false advertising. Because ACCC isn't bringing forward a specific case nor can they prove they were damaged, this rabbit hole leads nowhere.

I think your looking to deep into this and now grasping at straws, faulty in any terms is a product that doesnt work correctly as what is stated. Im not sure what these guys are saying whats wrong with there product and it doesnt matter either, if there is indeed a problem with the product then by LAW they can ask for a refund in this country for the item they have paid for, thats that. They have two choice to fix the issue in this county and thats either a refund or a replacement.

I hope the ACCC wins and I hope people everywhere say "Fuck This Shit" as well...

To me it's no different from stealing and like any thief that steals from me it makes me wanna do violent things to them.

I have to agree, software these days needs to catch up, its getting beyond a joke buying a product that is no where near finished and then wait for patches or whatever to be released for the software to work correctly. Didnt have this issue yrs ago as the internet wasn't available as it is now for people, they had to make sure it was finished and working correctly back then, now they do a half ass job, get it out the door quickly and then fix there issues later with an update, its just lazyness honestly, id like to see them get away with it now if we didn't have the internet hey? lol and the funniest thing is they sometimes charge for the update LOL like wtf?

Last edited:
System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
Exactly!! Just like ever other shop. Its still there responsibility to get the issue fixed no matter if its there's or not, this doesn't mean fixing the game or product but giving the customer back there money or getting it fixed some other way. Thats how the law works here in AUS, dont get it mixed up with other countries.

No your not getting it, it makes no difference what so ever. It has nothing to do with been digital or not or how its produced or how its brought to the public, the law is the law and it states that ANYTHING that is sold here in Australia that the customer is not pleased with or seems to not work or whatever it may be can be returned for a refund or fixed, period, no if's or but's or anything, thats the law!

I think your looking to deep into this and now grasping at straws, faulty in any terms is a product that doesnt work correctly as what is stated. Im not sure what these guys are saying whats wrong with there product and it doesnt matter either, if there is indeed a problem with the product then by LAW they can ask for a refund in this country for the item they have paid for, thats that. They have two choice to fix the issue in this county and thats either a refund or a replacement.

While I entirely agree with you that a product that is broken, not working correctly, or otherwise entirely different as otherwise stated, should be allowed for a full refund. This applies to everything in most countries except digital stuffs (except mp3's and movies, which can be refunded). What Valve is doing is slightly shady, but well within their rights.
Simple answer, download a "demo" of the game, play it, if you like it, buy it, if it's broken, uninstall it. Alternatively, buy from GoG instead.

You need to bare in mind though, this is valve. They don't care. What will they do about this lawsuit? Nothing, nothing at all. They don't have to, and prefer silence above all else. Valve are like China. They don't care what anybody thinks, they are driven only by profits.

System Name The FlaMING Flogger
Processor Devil's Canyon i7 4790k @ 4.7
Motherboard Asus Maximus VII Ranger
Cooling Corsair H100i (CPU) Kraken G10 with Corsair H55 (GPU)
Memory 16 GB G Skill Trident 2400
Video Card(s) Galaxy GTX 970 Reference running at 1500MHz Core / 1950MHz memory
Storage OCZ 248 GB SSD X 2 in RAID 0
Case NZXT H440 Red / Black
Audio Device(s) Supreme FX On board
Power Supply OCZ-ZT 650W Bronze Rating
Software Windows 8.1 Pro
and the Australians can go back to riding a kangaroo to a store to buy a physical copy that would suck I hear the aussie choice of entertaining media is pretty slim..

Troll much ?

Aussie choice = The Pirate Bay :laugh:

Processor Intel Core 2 QX6850
Motherboard ABIT AB9 Pro
Cooling Zalman CNPS-9900 MAX-R
Memory Patriot PDC24G6400LLK (4x 2 GB)
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce GTX 560 Ti Twin Light Turbo
Storage Not Enough!
Display(s) Samsung T240HD
Case NZXT Zero
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro
Power Supply Thortech Thunderbolt Plus TTBPK00G 1000W
Mouse Elecom M-DUX70BK
Keyboard CM Storm Trigger (Cherry MX Brown)
Software NOT Windows 10
So... basically there's a clash because the Australian expectation of consumer protection/rights isn't being met by the much weaker American standard of consumer protection/rights?

Software Windows 8.1 Pro
So... basically there's a clash because the Australian expectation of consumer protection/rights isn't being met by the much weaker American standard of consumer protection/rights?

ROFL :roll:

To miss-quote Tony Abbot, " American consumer law is a witches brew of complexity and danger".

Last edited:
System Name Night Rider | Mini LAN PC | Workhorse
Processor AMD R7 5800X3D | Ryzen 1600X | i7 970
Motherboard MSi AM4 Pro Carbon | GA- | Gigabyte EX58-UD5
Cooling Noctua U9S Twin Fan| Stock Cooler, Copper Core)| Big shairkan B
Memory 2x8GB DDR4 G.Skill Ripjaws 3600MHz| 2x8GB Corsair 3000 | 6x2GB DDR3 1300 Corsair
Video Card(s) MSI AMD 6750XT | 6500XT | MSI RX 580 8GB
Storage 1TB WD Black NVME / 250GB SSD /2TB WD Black | 500GB SSD WD, 2x1TB, 1x750 | WD 500 SSD/Seagate 320
Display(s) LG 27" 1440P| Samsung 20" S20C300L/DELL 15" | 22" DELL/19"DELL
Case LIAN LI PC-18 | Mini ATX Case (custom) | Atrix C4 9001
Audio Device(s) Onboard | Onbaord | Onboard
Power Supply Silverstone 850 | Silverstone Mini 450W | Corsair CX-750
Mouse Coolermaster Pro | Rapoo V900 | Gigabyte 6850X
Keyboard MAX Keyboard Nighthawk X8 | Creative Fatal1ty eluminx | Some POS Logitech
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 | Windows 10 Pro 64 | Windows 7 Pro 64/Windows 10 Home
While I entirely agree with you that a product that is broken, not working correctly, or otherwise entirely different as otherwise stated, should be allowed for a full refund. This applies to everything in most countries except digital stuffs (except mp3's and movies, which can be refunded). What Valve is doing is slightly shady, but well within their rights.
Simple answer, download a "demo" of the game, play it, if you like it, buy it, if it's broken, uninstall it. Alternatively, buy from GoG instead.

You need to bare in mind though, this is valve. They don't care. What will they do about this lawsuit? Nothing, nothing at all. They don't have to, and prefer silence above all else. Valve are like China. They don't care what anybody thinks, they are driven only by profits.

Agreed a big company like valve will ignore it because they can afford to, it is indeed all about money and it could also back fire for us Aussie's also, but at least someone is fighting for the customer I guess? as there is an issue there and it should be addressed and maybe improved in the future? For me been a Aussie customer I have excepted that if I buy a game and it runs like shit then I know it should be fixed later with an update, just how it is everywhere, I dont like it, but I the customer cant do anything about it. I have never spent more then $30 for a game on steam and I dont bother buying the big titles till yrs later till the price has dropped and the bugs are fixed.

Software Windows 8.1 Pro
Agreed a big company like valve will ignore it because they can afford to, it is indeed all about money and it could also back fire for us Aussie's also, but at least someone is fighting for the customer I guess? as there is an issue there and it should be addressed and maybe improved in the future? For me been a Aussie customer I have excepted that if I buy a game and it runs like shit then I know it should be fixed later with an update, just how it is everywhere, I dont like it, but I the customer cant do anything about it. I have never spent more then $30 for a game on steam and I dont bother buying the big titles till yrs later till the price has dropped and the bugs are fixed.

Agree. I can't envisage the ACCC pursuing Valve unless it's legally viable to do so, and to provide a favorable outcome to those consumers in Australia who have reported the issues in question to them.

Last edited:

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Enermax ETX-T50RGB
Memory CL16 BL2K16G36C16U4RL 3600 1:1 micron e-die
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3070 Ti GAMING OC
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Display(s) LG Ultra Gear 32 1440p 165hz Dell 1440p 75hz
Case Phanteks P300 /w 300A front panel conversion
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus+ Platinum 750W
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Software Windows 11 +startisallback
it doesn't matter what your law's say the mighty Gaben operates above your insignificant rules and regulations should he so chose he can close all of steams operations in .AU with a mere glance

seriously if ACCC takes it to court this is exactly where its gonna go. so once again the Australians shoot them selves in the foot and lose yet another entertainment media and then complain about it
try being a smart consumer for a change Australia instead of making your government do it for you

Last edited:

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
I think pretty much true but the opposite is what will likely happen. ACCC will go through with their case in Australia, Valve won't send legal consul to represent Newell, et. al., Valve will lose the case and be ordered by the Australian court to cease Steam services in Australia, and Valve will comply by closing the store down to all Australian IPs.

The reason: Valve's contracts with publishers don't allow them to hand out refunds left and right. Valve would have to renew contracts with clauses for processing refunds as the contracts come up for renewal. In other words, Australia is liable to lose access to the Steam Store for years.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)

But exactly how is bad software or an unfinished or buggy game Steam's fault? They are merely the store that a publisher is using to distribute their product. The publisher says "look what my developer just finished. We are selling it now. Please sell for us and we'll give you a percentage."

I agree that we should stop accepting buggy games or broken games, but the anger should be directed at the publisher. Let's say the piblisher also produces physical copies, and small mom and pop game store sells it. Do you hold mom and pop liable for the game being buggy, or unfinished, and expect them to fix the game code? This is effectively what ACCC is saying...that the seller is responsible. That's nonsense. The true seller is the publisher.

And what if the unimaginable happens? What if by some miracle ACCC wins, and a huge monetary judgement is enacted against Steam? Anyone who is hoping for that on here must not like PC gaming. Thanks to Steam, PC gaming not only has survived, but is flourishing! It would not be an overstatement to say Valve has been a crucial part of the revival of PC gaming. Do we really want to see what would happen if Valve and it's Steam service had a big financial judgement against them AND no longer had the income from Australian consumers?

Just food for thought.

Software Windows 8.1 Pro
it doesn't matter what your law's say the mighty Gaben operates above your insignificant rules and regulations should he so chose he can close all of steams operations in .AU with a mere glance

seriously if ACCC takes it to court this is exactly where its gonna go. so once again the Australians shoot them selves in the foot and lose yet another entertainment media and then complain about it
try being a smart consumer for a change Australia instead of making your government do it for you

You're right !!!! There you go, feel better?

Now, back to reality.........:slap:

Smart consumers pursue their legal rights within their given country they purchase within. I can't see a business like Valve/Steam withdrawing from the Australian marketplace due to being sued. That's FAR more costly in the long run vs changing their refund policy to match consumer guidelines in Australia.Even if they cop a fine. That's if the "mighty Gaben" has any business sense at all.

Last edited:

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Only read some of the first page here, and people are missing the point.

Valves EULA goes against Australian law - so it doesn't matter if you read or agreed to the EULA, by selling it to an Australian, on an Australian variant of their online store in Australian dollars, they've agreed to follow Australian law.

Clearly this issue is not black and white and needs some good legal definitions - and that's exactly whats being sorted out now.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Smart consumers pursue their legal rights within their given country they purchase within. I can't see a business like Valve/Steam withdrawing from the Australian marketplace due to being sued. That's FAR more costly in the long run vs changing their refund policy to match consumer guidelines in Australia.Even if they cop a fine. That's if the "mighty Gaben" has any business sense at all.
But that's the problem. Valve doesn't own most of the games they sell. They can't change policies other publishers have set unless there is a clause in the agreement that lets them. It isn't clear how quickly, if even possible, Valve can change the policy. They might not have a choice. They might have to close parts of the store to Australia to comply with a ruling because they don't have an immediate alternative available.

Software Windows 8.1 Pro
But that's the problem. Valve doesn't own most of the games they sell. They can't change policies other publishers have set unless there is a clause in the agreement that lets them. It isn't clear how quickly, if even possible, Valve can change the policy. They might not have a choice. They might have to close parts of the store to Australia to comply with a ruling because they don't have an immediate alternative available.

Yeh, will be interesting to see how it pans out.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Only read some of the first page here, and people are missing the point.

Valves EULA goes against Australian law - so it doesn't matter if you read or agreed to the EULA, by selling it to an Australian, on an Australian variant of their online store in Australian dollars, they've agreed to follow Australian law.

Clearly this issue is not black and white and needs some good legal definitions - and that's exactly whats being sorted out now.
It isn't an EULA. It is a subscription agreement. I do agree on the last line. Australia needs to clarify if their police extends to digital subscription services which are very different from physical or even licensed digital goods.

Perhaps a court could rule that Valve's payment structure isn't in line with typical subscriptions so they shouldn't be able to behave as a subscription service when it comes to refunds either.

It's not even clear Newell will try to defend Steam in this case.

D

Deleted member 67555

A company doesn't enter into a market and dictate the rules..
It's up to Valve to obey the law if they don't it is their fault...

The logic I'm hearing here is like this..
It's not Wal-Mart's fault the manufacturer made a defective product.
All that matters here is the point of sale...It was up to Valve to follow the laws of the market.

I think this needs done worldwide...Most publishers won't even deal with you unless you purchased from them again putting the responsibility at the point of sale...which is 100% reasonable.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Valve does remove and refund titles that falsely advertise:
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/va...rs-refunds-after-fans-speak-out/1100-6419451/

AsRock gave an example as well (also false advertising). Again, it's not even clear what ACCC is talking about because as far as I can tell, they can't claim damages. We're arguing about stated Valve policies and ideologies. Without something specific ACCC can site, it isn't even clear Valve violated Australian law.

Remember, some games on Steam can literally be beat in an hour (e.g. Dear Esther). Steam can't reasonably allow a refund on games like that because everyone could buy it, download it, beat it, and demand a refund regardless of whether or not they actually felt they got their monies worth. That would effectively make Steam a free service for any title that can be completed in whatever arbitrary guidelines are required by law (e.g. 30 days typical). With digital, physical goods at brick and mortar stores, the condition for refund is that the product still be in its factory shrink-wrap. On Steam, if you so much as start the game, you've technically broken the seal. Even by physical goods standards, you wouldn't be able to return it because it sucks. It falls on consumers to research before they buy, not sellers to accommodate to customer's every whim.

Last edited:

AsRock

TPU addict
Cooling D15
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Ok, if it's down to the publishers what probably happen is Valve will ask each of them for a yes \ no and those who say no refunds will have their games restricted from selling there as i cannot steam backing out of AUS completely unless they all say no refunds.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Valve can always sale their games (Portal, Half-Life, Counter-Strike) because they can change that policy almost immediately. It's other publishers that would likely vanish for a time anyway.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
But exactly how is bad software or an unfinished or buggy game Steam's fault? They are merely the store that a publisher is using to distribute their product. The publisher says "look what my developer just finished. We are selling it now. Please sell for us and we'll give you a percentage."

I agree that we should stop accepting buggy games or broken games, but the anger should be directed at the publisher. Let's say the piblisher also produces physical copies, and small mom and pop game store sells it. Do you hold mom and pop liable for the game being buggy, or unfinished, and expect them to fix the game code? This is effectively what ACCC is saying...that the seller is responsible. That's nonsense. The true seller is the publisher.

And what if the unimaginable happens? What if by some miracle ACCC wins, and a huge monetary judgement is enacted against Steam? Anyone who is hoping for that on here must not like PC gaming. Thanks to Steam, PC gaming not only has survived, but is flourishing! It would not be an overstatement to say Valve has been a crucial part of the revival of PC gaming. Do we really want to see what would happen if Valve and it's Steam service had a big financial judgement against them AND no longer had the income from Australian consumers?

Just food for thought.

I am sure they have recourse against the publisher, for example if a planetary drive on a machine breaks in the warranty period, we get paid for the parts, plus profit, plus service rate and accessories, diagnostic time.

If Steam sells game A for $10 and gives 7 to the publisher, keeps 3, and the game is broken, the publisher should give steam back their $7 plus whatever their contract allows, for most its 80% of MSRP, less cost, or cost plus 20%, list less 10% or whatever to pay the overhead for handling it. If steam isn't smart enough to do this I feel bad for them, but not bad enough to let them keep my money for selling a broken game.

System Name X99
Processor 5930K @ 4.7GHz @ 1.323v
Motherboard Rampage V Edition 10
Cooling EK
Memory Dominator Platinum 32GB
Video Card(s) 2x Gigabyte xtreme gaming 980ti
Storage Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 850 Pro & WD320
Display(s) Tempest X270OC @100Hz
Case Thermaltake Core P5
Audio Device(s) On-board
Power Supply 120-G2-1600-X1
Mouse Mamba 2012
Keyboard K70
Software Win10
Benchmark Scores http://www.3dmark.com/fs/6823139

AsRock

TPU addict
Cooling D15
I agree they should but there is no chance in hell they would, they have no reason to do so unless sales drop but that's not going happen.

I believe the idea is to charge as much as possible but pay as little as possible. Over the 10 years steams been running it's head has gotten pretty big and there is not one else really to get your games from.

People are not going stop buying from steam as good games out way bad ones due to the pricing so even if you did lose $60 on a game chances are you saved more than that over the last year.

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Enermax ETX-T50RGB
Memory CL16 BL2K16G36C16U4RL 3600 1:1 micron e-die
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3070 Ti GAMING OC
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Display(s) LG Ultra Gear 32 1440p 165hz Dell 1440p 75hz
Case Phanteks P300 /w 300A front panel conversion
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus+ Platinum 750W
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Software Windows 11 +startisallback
this thread is going in circles /unsubbing