• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Water Loop Algae build up

System Name Unknown
Processor AMD Bulldozer FX8320 @ 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asus Crosshair V
Cooling XSPC Raystorm 750 EX240 for CPU
Memory 8 GB CORSAIR Vengeance Red DDR3 RAM 1922mhz (10-11-9-27)
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Storage Samsung SSD 254GB and Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
Display(s) AOC 23" @ 1920x1080 + Asus 27" 1440p
Case HAF X
Audio Device(s) X Fi Titanium 5.1 Surround Sound
Power Supply 750 Watt PP&C Silencer Black
Software Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
So I drained my loop tubing is pretty green but I was able to rub the ends off. So how do I go about this? Clean or replace tubing? Clean cpu block and rad? How?

Athlon2K15

HyperVtX™
Processor Intel Core i9 11900K
Motherboard MSI Z590 Carbon EK X
Cooling Custom Water
Memory Team DDR4 4000MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF RTX 3080 OC
Storage WD WN850 1TB
Display(s) 43" LG NanoCell 4K 120Hz
Power Supply Asus Thor 1200w
Mouse Asus Strix Evolve
Keyboard Asus Strix Claymore
vinegar works good on copper. put silver kill coil in your loop next time and keep it away from sunlight :)

System Name Unknown
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Storage Samsung SSD 254GB and Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
Case HAF X
vinegar works good on copper. put silver kill coil in your loop next time and keep it away from sunlight :)
I added Biocide but I guess not enough. I 'll like twice the amount. I guess more is good in this case?

System Name The Endless Road.
Processor R9 5900X under EKWB Quantum Velocity2 block.
Motherboard asrock x570 phantom gaming 4
Cooling EK-XRES 100 Revo D5, EK Quantum Surface 420M (case roof) with 3x140m.m. case fans, pull config
Memory 32Gb DDR4 3600/14 cas
Video Card(s) Zotac RX4080 Trinity, waterblock cooled.
Storage 2 Tb WD Black sn770
Display(s) 32" Gigabyte M32UC 4K/144 Hz
Case Corsair 7000D airflow
Audio Device(s) MB audio feeding a HyperX Cloud 2 wired headset
Power Supply Koolink Continuum 850
Mouse one
Keyboard also one
Software Win 11 Home 64 bit
Benchmark Scores I don't play benchmarks.
Try boiling the water you use first, use a saucepan and boil it for 10 mins or so, remove from the stove, cover and allow to cool for 10 minuets then mix with you coolant concentrate/biocide.
Store the excess in a sterile bottle, sterilise with 1/2 teaspoon bleach per litre (quart), leave in for 15 minuets, rinse with clean water.

System Name Unknown
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Case HAF X
Try boiling the water you use first, use a saucepan and boil it for 10 mins or so, remove from the stove, cover and allow to cool for 10 minuets then mix with you coolant concentrate/biocide.
Store the excess in a sterile bottle, sterilise with 1/2 teaspoon bleach per litre (quart), leave in for 15 minuets, rinse with clean water.

Is this to clean the tubing or or just what to do before adding water?

I ordered new tubing and a kill coil. Is it ok to have a kill coil and biocide in the loop together?

I'm using distilled vinegar and water to clean all the parts this ok ?

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
Kill coils are a gimmick IMHO as I've used them before with no such luck. I even resorted to buying a gram or pure 99.9999% silver and still no luck. Your best bet is to toss the tubing and get a scrubbing tool that fits the blocks and such and clean by hand. After that If you use distilled water and say half a fluid ounce of colidial silver ( you can get it from health food stores) and I garrentee you will have zero problems with any typy of growth in your water loop.. Despite some saying it turns the water a slight yellow color I have had no such problem. I can take a picture of my water tank with the above said running for over a year if you like to show you the water is crystal Clear as it was a year ago.

Once alge takes hold it will keep growing back.. I have a salt water reef tank with live rock and after sitting in a shed outside dry for a few years in the summer and winter it didn't take long for the shit to start growing back so don't bother with vinegar unless its for the block but the tubing just toss it and buy new stuff.

System Name Unknown
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Case HAF X
Kill coils are a gimmick IMHO as I've used them before with no such luck. I even resorted to buying a gram or pure 99.9999% silver and still no luck. Your best bet is to toss the tubing and get a scrubbing tool that fits the blocks and such and clean by hand. After that If you use distilled water and say half a fluid ounce of colidial silver ( you can get it from health food stores) and I garrentee you will have zero problems with any typy of growth in your water loop.. Despite some saying it turns the water a slight yellow color I have had no such problem. I can take a picture of my water tank with the above said running for over a year if you like to show you the water is crystal Clear as it was a year ago.

Once alge takes hold it will keep growing back.. I have a salt water reef tank with live rock and after sitting in a shed outside dry for a few years in the summer and winter it didn't take long for the shit to start growing back so don't bother with vinegar unless its for the block but the tubing just toss it and buy new stuff.
Just for some clarity you want me to scrub the blocks, rad and pump using colidial silver or use colidial silver in my running loop with the water or both? Also since I bought can I just have the silver coil in my loop as an added benefit or just don't use it at all because risk of metal contamination with copper or what have you...

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
No just clean the parts however you want then add the liquid colidial silver to the new water.. Fill the loop and leave some free space in the res and like I said add the colidial silver about half a fluid oz and then forget about it.. You can also add the kill coil sense you already have it.. Thing is a kill coil doesn't have much surface area but colidial silver floods the water with silver ions and that's your best defence ;)

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Enermax ETX-T50RGB
Memory CL16 BL2K16G36C16U4RL 3600 1:1 micron e-die
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3070 Ti GAMING OC
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Display(s) LG Ultra Gear 32 1440p 165hz Dell 1440p 75hz
Case Phanteks P300 /w 300A front panel conversion
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus+ Platinum 750W
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Software Windows 11 +startisallback
use distilled water and add a teaspoon of bleach per gallon of water no need for fancy things like bio drops or silly kill coils good old bleach is fine and completely harmless in low concentrations

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
The rad just fill it up with vinegar and let it sit all night then flush with lots of water and then fill with distilled water... Shake the crap outa it over the kitchen sink and repeat till your happy there isn't any vinegar left in the rad then assemble the unit and you'll be golden for a long time.

System Name Unknown
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Case HAF X
No just clean the parts however you want then add the liquid colidial silver to the new water.. Fill the loop and leave some free space in the res and like I said add the colidial silver about half a fluid oz and then forget about it.. You can also add the kill coil sense you already have it.. Thing is a kill coil doesn't have much surface area but colidial silver floods the water with silver ions and that's your best defence ;)

Are their different types of colloidal silver I should look out for or any one I find will be good? Also If I do this I guess I can skip out on the biocide? And again no metal corrosion will result from this?

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
Nope just the colidial silver from a heath hut where you buy all sorts of vitamin and minerals.. Colidial silver is just that.. Distilled water with a high concentration of silver ions.. You can mix it in water and drink it lol.. Actually that's what its for haha.. But no issues just using it and distilled water.. Don't need that biocide shit because how silver ions work is.. Algae is alive and eats.. It eats the silver and it plugs up its bum hole so it can't crap and this dies lol.. Really its the best solution to never having a white film cover your acrylic parts or any parts actually.

System Name Unknown
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Case HAF X
Nope just the colidial silver from a heath hut where you buy all sorts of vitamin and minerals.. Colidial silver is just that.. Distilled water with a high concentration of silver ions.. You can mix it in water and drink it lol.. Actually that's what its for haha.. But no issues just using it and distilled water.. Don't need that biocide shit because how silver ions work is.. Algae is alive and eats.. It eats the silver and it plugs up its bum hole so it can't crap and this dies lol.. Really its the best solution to never having a white film cover your acrylic parts or any parts actually.
Since I read vinegar can be bad for plastics think I can also soak my pump in colloidal silver to sanitize?

Thanks tons btw.

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
NP and no go ahead and soak the pump in vinegar, its good for hard water build up and has such a low level concentration of acidity it won't hurt..
The colodial silver is just the preventative for crap growing in the loop.. Use any cleaner yo want to but I personally use vinegar..

You can drain the loop of water and fill it with vinegar and run it all day... Its not going to hurt anything.. If anything the constant flow will break up tiny hard water deposits in the rad.. I did that trick a year ago or so and after telling you what to try I've never needed to pull my loop apart for service at all.. Like I said its as clean as the day I cleaned it and its been well over a year already.

Edit: the kill coil on its own I was cleaning a few times a year until I added the colidial silver

System Name Unknown
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Case HAF X
Well ICDiamond also stained my bran new block in about 3 months. Sigh...

CPU is a bit stained not as bad as the block though.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64

Someone recommended that to me years ago, but when I went to buy it it was soooo expensive! I found an alternative that works just as well, cooper based pool algaecide. It works in exactly the same way as silver, but you can get a 1gt jug for about $15 from your local pool supply and have enough to last you a lifetime. You just have to make sure it is the cooper based kind, not one of the chemical based algeacides. The fluid will be a deep blue color, but when you add it to your loop, you add so little it doesn't change the color of the water.

Well ICDiamond also stained my bran new block in about 3 months. Sigh...

CPU is a bit stained not as bad as the block though.

Yeah, IC Diamond is junk. They sent me a free sample, it stained the base of my Ultra-120 in just a few days of use. I threw it away.

IIRC, Mussels had issues with it pitting one of his coolers. IC Diamond asked him to send them the heatsink so they could see what the issue was, and then promptly lost his heatsink and then tried to lie and say they never receive it. Then they tried to lie and say the pictures of all the pitting blocks were all photoshopped and multiple members of TPU and other forums was conspiring against them to make them look bad...

Then newegg pulled IC Diamond because of all the customer complaints.

Moral of the story: Throw that junk in the trash.

Last edited:
System Name MoneySink
Processor 2600K @ 4.8
Motherboard P8Z77-V
Cooling AC NexXxos XT45 360, RayStorm, D5T+XSPC tank, Tygon R-3603, Bitspower
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600C8
Video Card(s) GTX 780 SLI (EVGA SC ACX + Giga GHz Ed.)
Storage Kingston HyperX SSD (128) OS, WD RE4 (1TB), RE2 (1TB), Cav. Black (2 x 500GB), Red (4TB)
Display(s) Achieva Shimian QH270-IPSMS (2560x1440) S-IPS
Case NZXT Switch 810
Audio Device(s) onboard Realtek yawn edition
Power Supply Seasonic X-1050
Software Win8.1 Pro
Benchmark Scores 3.5 litres of Pale Ale in 18 minutes.
use distilled water and add a teaspoon of bleach per gallon of water no need for fancy things like bio drops or silly kill coils good old bleach is fine and completely harmless in low concentrations
I'd second that opinion.
Not a big fan of kill coils - the surface area is minimal to say the least. I personally use pure silver plated fittings (Bitspower) and a silver bar.
The biggest issue is the maintenance schedule. If you wait until there are obvious signs then it's too late. By the time the reservoir/lines show signs of needing attention the waterblock pins/channels will be clogged. I'd recommend flushing and refilling the system every 6 months - it also helps with checking O-ring conditions.
There is no substitute for elbow grease on a far-gone loop, but in future it's a good idea to drain the system at six monthly intervals, refill with de-ionized water and run the loop then flush it and refill ( if you have a radiator leaking solder flux residue I'd recommend a reverse flushing also - just swap inlet/outlet hoses on the pump(s)). A few drops of household bleach in 1-2 litres of distilled water should maintain the system between maintenance cycles.

For possible interest I had posted a guide at Techspot - Any help with radiator chassis compatibility for mainstream cases I haven't listed is greatly appreciated.

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
Price on the colidial silver is cheap now a days..
Copper sulfate is pretty much what they use in pools.. We use it in marine fish tanks when fish get parasites.. It kills the bugs as well as algae and biological system but turns the water a slight yellow in color.

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Audio Device(s) onboard
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
a bromine tablet in the res would also do the trick you don't need any speciality "water cooling snake oil cure alls" just the same stuff people have been putting in there pools for years

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
i use antibacterial soap, car antifreeze and deionized water. never had an issue

System Name Unknown
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Case HAF X
Someone recommended that to me years ago, but when I went to buy it it was soooo expensive! I found an alternative that works just as well, cooper based pool algaecide. It works in exactly the same way as silver, but you can get a 1gt jug for about $15 from your local pool supply and have enough to last you a lifetime. You just have to make sure it is the cooper based kind, not one of the chemical based algeacides. The fluid will be a deep blue color, but when you add it to your loop, you add so little it doesn't change the color of the water.

Yeah, IC Diamond is junk. They sent me a free sample, it stained the base of my Ultra-120 in just a few days of use. I threw it away.

IIRC, Mussels had issues with it pitting one of his coolers. IC Diamond asked him to send them the heatsink so they could see what the issue was, and then promptly lost his heatsink and then tried to lie and say they never receive it. Then they tried to lie and say the pictures of all the pitting blocks were all photoshopped and multiple members of TPU and other forums was conspiring against them to make them look bad...

What paste should I use?

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Audio Device(s) onboard
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
personally I use MX4 I gave that icy diamond the benefit of the doubt and its frankly crap

Athlon2K15

HyperVtX™
Processor Intel Core i9 11900K
Motherboard MSI Z590 Carbon EK X
Cooling Custom Water
Memory Team DDR4 4000MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF RTX 3080 OC
Storage WD WN850 1TB
Display(s) 43" LG NanoCell 4K 120Hz
Power Supply Asus Thor 1200w
Mouse Asus Strix Evolve
Keyboard Asus Strix Claymore

It was @sneekypeet

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
Stay away from transparent tubing. Water (just water) in my loop is clear and is about a year old.

System Name Unknown
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Case HAF X
you guys think I've damaged the performance of my block because of the stain/scratches or does it merely just look bad? I'm going go out and get some MX4 though. Thanks for the input.

Stay away from transparent tubing. Water (just water) in my loop is clear and is about a year old.

Wait clear tubing is bad? I ordered me some more clear tubing, I thought it would be better to go with clear so I can see if algae builds up again.