• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows vista-basic operation problems

radioraheem

Hi There,

I was looking for some advice on how to fix my laptop. It is running Windows vista. I had a problem where i was trying to download a video file using a Firefox extension and the PC completely crashed and the user profile became corrupted. It wouldn't even log on in any mode so I got some help to create another profile.

Although I have created a new profile, given it admin rights and transferred the key files from the old desktop across to the new one; certain basic functions are not working.

For instance, it is not producing sound.
I open a sound file and it is playing in the player on the screen but the speaker image in the bottom right corner has an 'x' (mute) sign next to it. When I scan over it with the cursor, it says 'the Audio Service is not running'.

I right click it and go to sounds and a window pops up saying:
'This computer cannot play audio because the Windows Audio Service is not enabled. Would you like to enable the Windows Audio Service?'

I click Yes and the Volume Control Applet alert comes up seeking permission to continue. When I click continue the Sound window opens showing the speakers listed as 'working' with a tick next to them. So I click OK and it closes, but nothing changes....

In addition to this the wireless connection finder is failing to start in a similar way.

Guidance would be much appreciated....

Thanks.

Kursah

Super Moderator
Staff member
System Name Kursah's Gaming Rig 2018 (2022 Upgrade) - Ryzen+ Edition | Gaming Laptop (Lenovo Legion 5i Pro 2022)
Processor R7 5800X @ Stock | i7 12700H @ Stock
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming BIOS 6203| Legion 5i Pro NM-E231
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S Push-Pull + NT-H1 | Stock Cooling
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 32GB (2x16) DDR4 4000 @ 3600 18-20-20-42 1.35v | 32GB DDR5 4800 (2x16)
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 4070 JetStream 12GB | CPU-based Intel Iris XE + RTX 3070 8GB 150W
Storage 4TB SP UD90 NVME, 960GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD | 1TB Samsung OEM NVME SSD + 4TB Crucial P3 Plus NVME SSD
Display(s) Acer 28" 4K VG280K x2 | 16" 2560x1600 built-in
Case Corsair 600C - Stock Fans on Low | Stock Metal/Plastic
Audio Device(s) Aune T1 mk1 > AKG K553 Pro + JVC HA-RX 700 (Equalizer APO + PeaceUI) | Bluetooth Earbuds (BX29)
Power Supply EVGA 750G2 Modular + APC Back-UPS Pro 1500 | 300W OEM (heavy use) or Lenovo Legion C135W GAN (light)
Mouse Logitech G502 | Logitech M330
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Core RGB | Built in Keyboard (Lenovo laptop KB FTW)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 | Windows 11 Home x64
go to start, run. CMD, run that as admin. Do SFC /Scannow

Have you run a scan disk with repairs? HDD's are the most common failing part on a laptop (I replace dozens weekly)...and issues like this tend to happen prior to a total failure. Maybe download HDTach, or an HDD SMART utility to verify the integrity of the SMART reporting.

If the disk checks out good, hopefully System File Checker can replace the corrupted files. Have you tried re-installing the audio device drivers? Same thing with other device issues?

Do you have a Vista DVD? How about the original key? If not, get Belarc or Magic Jellybean and get your Vista Key off of that install ASAP so you can download the correct ISO and re-install of a new HDD if necessary.

I take it you don't run backups? Might be a good time to run to Costco and get a cheap 2TB USB drive and start running backups. I recommend Macrium, but I'm pretty partial to it...and it costs $$$...Windows Backup works quite well too. You can also look up Windows Easy File Transfer if you do get your profile back up to par...and do a fresh install and transfer most of your stuff over...or you can copy the Users folder over and start semi back to where you were.

I guess let's start with finding out if you have a failing hard drive...if not run system file checker...if checks out...re-install your device drivers...if still fails reinstall OS and start over.

radioraheem

Thanks for the response. I ran a chkdisk and I take it it went ok because it didn't prompt me to do anything-the computer started up straight away once it was complete.

I tried to run a SFC/scannow but I got a message saying:
'Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service'.

Do you know the significance of this (assuming there is)? Can I run scannow via the vista disc?

Thanks!

radioraheem

I wanted to do a repair from the Vista disc.

I went to the boot menu and selected the CD/DVD drive which contained the Vista disc. It ran and it came up with the message:

media test failure check cable
then
Exiting SiS191 PXE BootROM
operating system not found

It's a Fujitsu Siemens computer...

Not sure what next step should be

System Name RemixedBeast-NX
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2690 @ 2.9Ghz (8C/16T)
Motherboard Dell Inc. 08HPGT (CPU 1)
Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Nvidia RTX2060 6GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD//2TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Case Dell Precision T3600 Chassis
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 // Fiio E7 Amp/DAC
Power Supply 630w Dell T3600 PSU
Mouse Logitech G700s/G502
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P
What did you burn the disc with??

Try the windows store windows 7 USB DVD tool and it will burn it to bootable format.

radioraheem

What did you burn the disc with??

Try the windows store windows 7 USB DVD tool and it will burn it to bootable format.
I wanted to repair the system files from the Microsoft Vista disc itself. I thought this was how it was done, no?

Could you tell me what the messages mean?
('Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service'.)
(operating system not found)

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Sounds like drivers got corrupted when the person went to the malicious site. Honestly id grab 7 and replace vista completely

radioraheem

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=23510#AffinityDownloads

Download and run this if you can still boot to windows.
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...-default/9da312d2-c99b-4283-a275-e74d93dcc366

Follow the listed directions to reset permissions for your system, you may need to include the following lines in the reset.

subinacl /subdirectories ********* /grant=system=f

substitute the stars with any extra named or mapped hard drives on the machine.

Thank you.

I placed it on the desktop and tried to run it and I got an alert which said :

"The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if Windows Installer is not correctly installed...."

I guess I should just copy out stuff I want to keep and reinstall Vista altogether?

I take it guides like this are ok:

My only concern is getting hold of the appropriate drivers.

I guess I could try to download them and put them on USB before I start (but I'm not sure how many I would need to get)?

Cheers!

System Name PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 3600
Motherboard MSI B450 Mortar Max
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC12DX, 3 x NZXT FN 140mm, 1x NZXT FV V2 120mm
Memory 32gb DDR4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) ASUS R9 290 DCII-OC 4GB
Storage corsair mp600 1TB
Display(s) LG 27MB85Z 27" 1440p
Case NZXT Source 340
Power Supply Thermaltake 675w
Mouse Logitech G500S
Keyboard Logitech G510S
Software Windows 8.1 64 bit
Thank you.

I placed it on the desktop and tried to run it and I got an alert which said :

"The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if Windows Installer is not correctly installed...."

I guess I should just copy out stuff I want to keep and reinstall Vista altogether?

I take it guides like this are ok:

My only concern is getting hold of the appropriate drivers.

I guess I could try to download them and put them on USB before I start (but I'm not sure how many I would need to get)?

Cheers!

Normally you'd only need the networking ones if any, but if you're going to pre-download one might as well pre-download all of them

System Name PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 3600
Memory 32gb DDR4 3200mhz
Case NZXT Source 340
Mouse Logitech G500S
Keyboard Logitech G510S
Where do I find the networking ones?
I was reading that Windows update can locate the drivers for hardware automatically......is this legit?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/...d-windows-vista-drivers-for-all-your-hardware

Yes it can, but you need a functioning network for it to be able to find drivers, and theres no guarantee(although it is very likely) the network will work out the box

You will be able to find any drivers you need from the manufacturers website

radioraheem

Hmm. I couldn't find much on the fujitsu siemens website at all. I assume it is the drivers for the wireless device listed in my device manager that you are referring to when you say network drivers? In that case I'm looking for the 'Atheros AR5007EG Wireless Network Adapter' drivers. It is difficult navigating the numerous sites which appear dubious and knowing which might be legit as Atheros don't seem to have it online....

System Name PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 3600
Memory 32gb DDR4 3200mhz
Case NZXT Source 340
Mouse Logitech G500S
Keyboard Logitech G510S
Hmm. I couldn't find much on the fujitsu siemens website at all. I assume it is the drivers for the wireless device listed in my device manager that you are referring to when you say network drivers? In that case I'm looking for the 'Atheros AR5007EG Wireless Network Adapter' drivers. It is difficult navigating the numerous sites which appear dubious and knowing which might be legit as Atheros don't seem to have it online....

you should be able to find them by typing in your serial number here

http://support.ts.fujitsu.com/download/index.asp?lng=EN&Level1=&LNID=5566

radioraheem

Thanks for that!!! Spot on.
I had problems running the Vista disc, but I managed to get it working with a USB image of it done with Rufus. I was going to download all the drivers that are there just in case, but looking at the subsections of that site there are a lot. I will post one for example. I hope that since it seems to be different versions of the same software that I only need to download one? Does it matter which? Presumably the most recent is best.......And because I'm not putting it on disc I guess it would be the non Iso version I download?

drivers example.jpg

System Name PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 3600
Memory 32gb DDR4 3200mhz
Case NZXT Source 340
Mouse Logitech G500S
Keyboard Logitech G510S
Thanks for that!!! Spot on.
I had problems running the Vista disc, but I managed to get it working with a USB image of it done with Rufus. I was going to download all the drivers that are there just in case, but looking at the subsections of that site there are a lot. I will post one for example. I hope that since it seems to be different versions of the same software that I only need to download one? Does it matter which? Presumably the most recent is best.......And because I'm not putting it on disc I guess it would be the non Iso version I download?

View attachment 59004

don't download any of the bios ones for a start you don't need those

apart from that it looks like fujitsu are giving you drivers for every possible spec of the laptop which is reasonably common and makes life difficult, if you could find out what network adapters etc your pc has in the "Device Manager" you should be able to figure out which ones you need

radioraheem

don't download any of the bios ones for a start you don't need those

apart from that it looks like fujitsu are giving you drivers for every possible spec of the laptop which is reasonably common and makes life difficult, if you could find out what network adapters etc your pc has in the "Device Manager" you should be able to figure out which ones you need
It worked!!!!