• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Have you used these NAS products? [comment or suggest]

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
Nope, ran WD greens in it and it was cool and cozy, but there was always the 20W or so of power being drawn with mine. Just swapped out for a Seagate model to see if that one works correctly.

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Motherboard AsRock B650 HDVM.2
Cooling CPU : Corsair Hydro XC7 }{ GPU: EK FC 1080 via Magicool 360 III PRO > Photon 170 (D5)
Memory 32GB Gskill Flare X5
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 TI
Storage Samsung 9series NVM 2TB and Rust
Display(s) Predator X34P/Tempest X270OC @ 120hz / LG W3000h
Case Fractal Define S [Antec Skeleton hanging in hall of fame]
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Xense with AKG K612 cans on Monacor SA-100
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores FFXIV ARR Benchmark 12,883 on i7 2600k 15,098 on AM5 7600x
First thing I am going to do is purchase a stand alone FTTC modem, as the popular Asus N66U and Draytek 2850 series routers are not full VDSL compatible. Once that's in, I'll think about replacing the home hub with a better router.

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Cooling CPU : Corsair Hydro XC7 }{ GPU: EK FC 1080 via Magicool 360 III PRO > Photon 170 (D5)
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
Thanks again all for pointing my in relevant directions.

For anyone in a similar situation I ended up on :

• A used Netgear ReadyNas Duo V2(please note that a lot of the later produced V1 models had a sticker on the bottom saying 'V2' Therefore on sales, people would be V2. There are simple signs on how to tell the difference. Just make sure you buy the right one!)
You can find these for not much more than the products I listed on the front page, and it's well worth that little extra. These newer generation network storage devices have fast enough CPUs to give you the network throughput that only jumbo frames was able to achieve on older hardware.
My speeds for normal sized files on default settings and latest firmware are 50mb/s writing to the NAS, and 80mb/s writing to another device.
It's GUI includes many hardware and application options. Of particular interest was the Transmission P2P web interface and the Transmission Remote GUI. With either of these tools I am able to que downloads and also schedule them to run when required. Other applications exist, including an automated Usenet and NZB scanner to search and snatch any media that might interest you.

• A used Asus RT-N56U
This router is called the Black Diamond and was a predecessor to the popular Dark Knight RT-N66U. I got it for half the cost of what the N66U goes for now. Other than some different firmware options and faster wireless, the N56U is the essentially same product. It's been extremely easy to use, has plenty of standard options and all ready has made a significant difference to my internal network by giving more stability and throughput.

One of the reasons I went after this line of Asus routers was for the Download Master. Please let me use this as an opportunity to warn any potential buyers three important things about the router(s) and in particular using the Download Master.
A) Any of the applications/tools/utilities that can be run on the router itself, have to be installed and access via an externally connected USB device.
B) Due to the above, the Download Master can only select the external USB device as the storage destination.
C) The Download Master is an ok utility, however lacks important P2P options such as queing, bandwidth limitation, ordering, traffic priority etc.

When I started looking at these products, I had been instructed that the router would allow me to choose any attached network device as a destination, and sadly that wasn't the case.
Therefore in this scenario it's very fortunate that I got the ReadyNas with Transmission.

• A used ECI Open Reach modem
Since I have had this connected, my line has not dropped. Combined with the Asus router it's a great relief to not have to worry about waking up and finding that the connection reset(after several days, eventually putting me back on interleaved /banded profile).

The Duo now acts as my media vault and my overall networking and internet experience is much better.