• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need Help to pick a right gaming x99 motherboard

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
Knowing the demands of CPU encoded streaming I'd still recommend X99 or X79... The quad cores don't cut it for 1080p... BUT, that is assuming the OP is going to be streaming at 1080p, and therefore has the bandwidth. Now, if he's going with 720p, I'd agree with @Aquinus and go with a 4790k.
You shouldn't even be having the CPU handle that, you should be using dedicating recording software between the GPU and the display if you *really* care about streaming your game play and not impacting your gaming experience. The simple fact is that encoding 1080p on the fly can be a bear along side a video game, not to mention hosting it live.

If you're just recording, I would get a lot more disk space and I/O and just record raw video. It will result in the smoothest playback and then you can encode it on your own watch, granted that isn't live.

I'm questioning the purpose of doing this. Are you a "professional gamer"?

System Name Indis the Fair (cursed edition)
Processor 11900k 5.1/4.9 undervolted.
Motherboard MSI Z590 Unify-X
Cooling Heatkiller VI Pro, VPP755 V.3, XSPC TX360 slim radiator, 3xA12x25, 4x Arctic P14 case fans
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 4000 16-19-19 (b-die@3600 14-14-14 1.45v)
Video Card(s) EVGA 2080 Super Hybrid (T30-120 fan)
Storage 970EVO 1TB, 660p 1TB, WD Blue 3D 1TB, Sandisk Ultra 3D 2TB
Display(s) BenQ XL2546K, Dell P2417H
Case FD Define 7
Audio Device(s) DT770 Pro, Topping A50, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, Røde VXLR+, Modmic 5
Power Supply Seasonic 860w Platinum
Mouse Razer Viper Mini, Odin Infinity mousepad
Keyboard GMMK Fullsize v2 (Boba U4Ts)
Software Win10 x64/Win7 x64/Ubuntu
Haven't tried NVenc, but i've heard good from that, which would be leaning to your argument. But I've used QuickSync, and personally think it's crap quality wise. That said, I'd say for a non-5k+ LoL stream it would probably be OK, at least bearable. But x264 video encoding is far better quality wise.

Recording wise, I've used DXTory, which has very limited CPU load, but is extremely taxing on I/O. In this case you'd have to do the rendering/compression afterwards, which is more time consuming, but keeps it separate from interfering with ingame performance.

I'm not a professional gamer as one that earns money off it. But I'd consider my self a competitive gamer in the same way that a professional plays to win. Therefore I demand a lot from my system in regards to smooth gameplay experience and keeping it from limiting my performance in game. I have also talked a lot with streamers who have played cometitively in regards to their performance requirements.

Well, I think I will go for msi x99s gaming 9 ac (becasue the streaming engine)
but wait for the new 9 series graphic card now lol

also, I just want to make sure, is that possible to intall the OS on the Ramdisk?

System Name Blackwidow/
Processor Ryzen 5950x / Threadripper 3960x
Motherboard Asus x570 Crosshair viii impact/ Asus Zenith ii Extreme
Cooling Ek 240Aio/Custom watercooling
Memory 32gb ddr4 3600MHZ Crucial Ballistix / 32gb ddr4 3600MHZ G.Skill TridentZ Royal
Video Card(s) MSI RX 6900xt/ XFX 6800xt
Storage WD SN850 1TB boot / Samsung 970 evo+ 1tb boot, 6tb WD SN750
Display(s) Sony A80J / Dual LG 27gl850
Case Cooler Master NR200P/ 011 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) On board/ Soundblaster ZXR
Power Supply Corsair SF750w/ Seasonic Prime Titanium 1000w
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate wireless/ Logitech G Pro X Superlight
Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL/ Logitech G915 Wireless
Software Win 10 Pro

also, I just want to make sure, is that possible to intall the OS on the Ramdisk?
Great board @GhostRyder has that board(not to volunteer his services lol) but I guess you would want user opinion as well. I believe Dave @cadaveca does too, you could ask him about the features, he did the review on the gaming 7 if you wanna check that out.
For me, if you ever decide to change your mind I have the Asus deluxe ask away if you need to know anything.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1

You can't install anything on volatile storage and expect it to always be there. You need to reload data into a ram disk every time the machine is turned on. Therefore you would need something to copy the data into the RAMDisk before boot and then you need a BIOS (and OS) that supports booting off a ram disk, which is practically none.

Also are you trying to ignore me? It's like you're already hell bent on spending a lot of money all the while ignoring everyone who says you might not want to go that way. I have to agree with @the54thvoid on this one.
In my most excellent and experienced opinion :roll: - Don't waste your money unless you actually simply WANT to have a very expensive computer.
Buy a Z97 and a Devil's Canyon CPU and be done with it. 4Ghz is 4Ghz. 8 cores is overkill for your requirements. It's not future proofing, it's just silly.

Also you said...
i am planning to build a high-end gaming/streaming pc
wiht will play some game like Watch-dogs, or do the live streaming with League of legends/dota2/diablo3

None of those games use more than 2 full threads while running. skt2011 in any way, shape, or form is overkill for your purposes and you'll only be wasting money.

High-end gaming and a list of games like "LoL, DOTA, and Diablo 3" is actually quite laughable considering how light all of these games are on resources. (My machine with two 6870s runs LoL at 120FPS, very light CPU load and the GPUs don't even max out.)

Once again, I think you have a goal to spend a lot of money, not to built a decent costing computer that fits your needs. That's all.

Knowing the demands of CPU encoded streaming I'd still recommend X99 or X79... The quad cores don't cut it for 1080p... BUT, that is assuming the OP is going to be streaming at 1080p, and therefore has the bandwidth. Now, if he's going with 720p, I'd agree with @Aquinus and go with a 4790k.
I don't. Quads are plenty and my 3820 has proved that to me in the past even more so with games that hardly touch your CPU. Read above and tell me how you disagree with me. Also I did see you agreed with Devil's Canyon, I think it's still the better option when encoding. Cheaper and just as well because more cores doesn't help with encoding on the fly. You need *fast* cores for that. Not more.

Edit: Also, why are all of you people egging the OP on for investing in skt2011-3 where all it will do for the OP is cost more? I don't think you people are thinking through the problem. How the heck can you say he needs 6c+ with that kind of game list? There is zero benefit. An i5 will perform just as well.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
About the only feature he can use on X99 is MSI's Streaming hardware on the Gaming 9.... otherwise, I agree with you Aquinas. :)

I am in the middle of reviewing the Gaming 9 as well. Solid board so far. :)

System Name Blackwidow/
Memory 32gb ddr4 3600MHZ Crucial Ballistix / 32gb ddr4 3600MHZ G.Skill TridentZ Royal
Software Win 10 Pro
You can't install anything on volatile storage and expect it to always be there. You need to reload data into a ram disk every time the machine is turned on. Therefore you would need something to copy the data into the RAMDisk before boot and then you need a BIOS (and OS) that supports booting off a ram disk, which is practically none.

Also are you trying to ignore me? It's like you're already hell bent on spending a lot of money all the while ignoring everyone who says you might not want to go that way. I have to agree with @the54thvoid on this one.

Also you said...

None of those games use more than 2 full threads while running. skt2011 in any way, shape, or form is overkill for your purposes and you'll only be wasting money.

High-end gaming and a list of games like "LoL, DOTA, and Diablo 3" is actually quite laughable considering how light all of these games are on resources. (My machine with two 6870s runs LoL at 120FPS, very light CPU load and the GPUs don't even max out.)

Once again, I think you have a goal to spend a lot of money, not to built a decent costing computer that fits your needs. That's all.

I don't. Quads are plenty and my 3820 has proved that to me in the past even more so with games that hardly touch your CPU. Read above and tell me how you disagree with me. Also I did see you agreed with Devil's Canyon, I think it's still the better option when encoding. Cheaper and just as well because more cores doesn't help with encoding on the fly. You need *fast* cores for that. Not more.

Edit: Also, why are all of you people egging the OP on for investing in skt2011-3 where all it will do for the OP is cost more? I don't think you people are thinking through the problem. How the heck can you say he needs 6c+ with that kind of game list? There is zero benefit. An i5 will perform just as well.

I understand where you're coming from but how can you say for him to just z97...It sends to me that if he chose the x99 gaming ac he would probably go about a similar price point on a mobo for a z97...this leaves just memory being a tad more expensive and the cpu around the same pricing. I can't recommend for him to go anything but x99 and there are a neck of a lot more reasonably priced x99 board than there are expensive ones. If you haven't seen the new crucial ddr4 then all I have to say is they aren't that more expensive especially being a new standard. I remember my first ddr2 build a dual channel 1gig kit cost me 140, ddr3 1st build for 4gig cost me the same and these were the cheapest corsair/crucials at the time. An 8 gig w/ heat spreader 8 gigs cost 115 I believe. The platform is not as expensive as everyone is making it out to be. I for one rather go all out and not have to do incremental updates, it seems the OP feels the same. The x99 judging by previous cycles shouldn't have an upgrade to it until 2 years time, z97 on the other hand update is next year. By the way don't you have a 2011?
Anyways have you played with an x99 system, for one it runs a whole lot smoother than any z97/87 system that is out, two overclocks just as good as any Devils Canyon, Haswell or even Ivy...both my chips hit 4.6 with the same voltage as my z8/97 and run a heck of a lot cooler than both. Don't downplay something unless you actually have it please.

About the only feature he can use on X99 is MSI's Streaming hardware on the Gaming 9.... otherwise, I agree with you Aquinas. :)

I am in the middle of reviewing the Gaming 9 as well. Solid board so far. :)
He can use everything on the platform it's up to him to utilize every feature there. I'm just picking on your statement but I don't think he plans on upgrading for quite some time so I do believe he can't go wrong on the x99.

Yeah, if that isn't splitting hairs.......LOL! Im sure you get my point though that the Streaming Engine he can utilize... otherwise, Z97 would do.

Ive use it (reviewing Gaming 9 AC atm)... feels the same to me honestly outside of multi-threaded apps... but that is just my 'butt dyno'!

That said, its our job to inform. What/How the user spends his money is not our business. We lay it out, they choose what they want, for better or worse.

Last edited:
System Name Blackwidow/
Software Win 10 Pro
Yeah, if that isn't splitting hairs.......LOL! Im sure you get my point though that the Streaming Engine he can utilize... otherwise, Z97 would do.

Ive use it (reviewing Gaming 9 AC atm)... feels the same to me honestly outside of multi-threaded apps... but that is just my 'butt dyno'!

That said, its our job to inform. What/How the user spends his money is not our business. We lay it out, they choose what they want, for better or worse.
Not denouncing anything, but overall the platform is not that expensive. The only expensive piece is the ram.
My z97 mobo cost 50 less than the x99, the cpu cost about 130 less and that is only because I chose the 5930 due to adding a 3rd 290. The memory cost about 70 more. My initial x99 build mobo+cpu+mem cost roughly 800 bucks, that is not a bad price at all considering my z97 build of the same 3 cost around 20 dollars more.

Well, here is the thing. You didn't remotely need an MPower ($240). An Extreme 6 would have been fine for any ambient air clocking and cost ~ $80 less. The CPU (4770K) is $50 less than a 5820K. The DDR4 quad channel ram is bawls more expensive (~$80 difference for say 2x8GB or 4x4GB DDR3/4 2133. The math here with comparable parts shows it to be around $210 difference. While $210 may not be much to some, when using $800 as a base, that is nearly 25% more. Its the OP that needs to figure out if paying that premium is worth it to him. to me 25% or $200+ is a heck of a chunk and can EASILY go up more with getting the 5930K or faster DDR4 ram. While the Z87/97 platform tops out there as the 4790K is what, $5 more than the 4770K?

System Name Blackwidow/
Software Win 10 Pro
Well, here is the thing. You didn't remotely need an MPower ($240). An Extreme 6 would have been fine for any ambient air clocking and cost ~ $80 less. The CPU (4770K) is $50 less than a 5820K. The DDR4 quad channel ram is bawls more expensive (~$80 difference for say 2x8GB or 4x4GB DDR3/4 2133. The math here with comparable parts shows it to be around $210 difference. While $210 may not be much to some, when using $800 as a base, that is nearly 25% more. Its the OP that needs to figure out if paying that premium is worth it to him. to me 25% or $200+ is a heck of a chunk and can EASILY go up more with getting the 5930K or faster DDR4 ram. While the Z87/97 platform tops out there as the 4790K is what, $5 more than the 4770K?

True but as I was in the process of building another computer(z97) not realizing that the x99 was around the corner. My board was the Gigabyte g1 wifi bk edition which cost roughly the same as my current x99 deluxe. I look at my purchases this way...I waste money on silly things every week possibly around $150, so in my eyes that ~$210 can easily be justified. Which is why I went the route I chose.

You are right though the OP must know what his/her threshold is in this regards and ultimately make a choice.