• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

VLAN problems on managed Cisco switch.

So, I'm having a weird issue with a Cisco switch. I am using Aerohive APs and they use different SSIDs that communicate over several VLANS. For some reason, they are only able to communicate over one SSID on one VLAN. It doesn't even recognize the others. It appears as though the ports on the switch are setup the same as other switches that also have those VLANS/APs. Has anyone else experienced this?

Here is an example of the configuration of an AP port:

switchport mode trunk
switchport trunk allowed vlan (lists VLANs allowed here)
switchport trunk native vlan (VLAN number here)

The VLANs themselves are also configured on the switch along with the helper IP addresses that correspond to them.

The switch is using VTP version 2 with the correct domain listed. The switch is showing that it was configured by the correct VTP server, but not since March.

Model: WS-C2960S-24PS-L

Anyone have any thoughts?

System Name RemixedBeast-NX
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2690 @ 2.9Ghz (8C/16T)
Motherboard Dell Inc. 08HPGT (CPU 1)
Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Nvidia RTX2060 6GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD//2TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Case Dell Precision T3600 Chassis
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 // Fiio E7 Amp/DAC
Power Supply 630w Dell T3600 PSU
Mouse Logitech G700s/G502
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P
There's your problem. Aerohive. Those are terrible with VLANs. rarely ever heard anyone actually properly get VLANs to work on those things...

try making the native vlan untagged and only tag the guest/secondary and other VLANs and set default route to your main VLAN.

I have to have the main VLAN untagged in my two aruba APs and it works. I only tag the other VLANs in the AP interface.

does yours do it like this:

For example:

Cisco Meraki Z1: two VLANs: main=vlan10, guest=vlan 3 all ports trunk and allow all vlans (default=10)
Aruba RAP109s: main ssid:networks assigned:untagged guest ssid:network assigned:tag=3

instant.arubanetworks.com_2014-09-20_17-51-30.png

instant.arubanetworks.com_2014-09-20_17-51-54.png

and it works... but when I tag the first one in the AP config clients don't obtain IPs... aruba support told me that that is how it needs to be done.

you can try that on an aerohive but good luck even getting that to work.....

Last edited:

brandonwh64

Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!
When you are trunking you are making sure the equipment on the other side of the trunk is accepting and passing VLAN tags.

My first suggestion is to draw this out on visio and post it here. This will give us some things to work with. Also get more techincal with the description of the network layout.

Are the AP's connecting to 1 VLAN per node? Is each node set to a specific number of SSID's that are set in the controller with the appropriate VLAN?

Try this.

switchport mode general
switchport general allowed vlan add (vlans here) untagged.
switchport general native vlan add (should be your management VLAN)

Here is an example of a trunk port I build the other day

interface ethernet 1/24
switchport allowed vlan add 1 untagged
switchport native vlan 1
switchport acceptable-frame-types tagged
switchport allowed vlan add 4-5,10,16,18,20,4093 tagged

Last edited: