• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Violent video games blamed for Virginia Tech slaughter

Status
Not open for further replies.
System Name Towly's Midrange Menace / Home File Server
Processor Intel Core2Quad E9550 2.83Ghz / Pentuim 4 3Ghz HT
Motherboard MSI G31TM-P25 / Gigabyte GA-945G Pro
Cooling Cooler master V6 / Intel Stock
Memory 4 gb 800mhz DDR2/ 2gb 800mhz DDR2
Video Card(s) MSI Geforce 460 GTX 768MB / Intel onboard
Storage 1x 120 gb 1x500gb / 2 x 1TB sata,1 x 160Gb,1 x 80Gb, 2 x 500Gb sata
Display(s) 19" HANNS-G LCD
Case Jeantech Achilles Mid Tower / Standard atx
Audio Device(s) Onboard HD / Onboard HD
Power Supply Vantec ION2+ 600Watt / XGR 450W
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit / Windows XP Pro
Benchmark Scores 3D Mark 03 = 42483 Unigine v2.5 = 1555 http://www.techpowerup.com/gallery/2982.html
Today they are blaming violent games and it has been all these years with metal music as well. And that the "killer" who was listening to the music/game was the cause of it so the society/goverment will never stop. Now here is a very good example of this guy at VA tech that he was on anti depression pills. Those are to blame people who can't control themself should not be given any narcotics/alcohol what so ever cause now you see what happens to that kind of person.
Just because his girlfriend dumbs him doesn't mean that had to shoot down a whole class of students.
Why didn't he shot himself in the first place.
That would save the world from 1 raging gun slinging lunatic.

newbielives

100% agreed

Problem is that violent videos and violent games DO affect 90%+ of the population BUT not to an extent other than the person becoming "desensitized" to what they see. It doesnt make them act differently. The question is that if an "at risk person" - who responds in action to how they perceive things - is desensitized, do they become more "at risk". And the answer is, probably, and unfortunately, yes.

It's very tricky. It's not affecting you or me. But it IS affecting somebody out there. And so it's a game of odds... and politics.

Benpi

Processor AMD X2 4400+
Memory 2G
Video Card(s) 7950 GX2
Storage 2x 74g 10000rpm Raid:0
Display(s) Dell 1920x1200 widescreen
Software 3dmark06 score: 7650
Violent slaughtering has been going on since the beginning of time. There were no video games 65 years ago when Hitler decided it'd be a good idea to try to exterminate the Jews.

WarEagleAU

Bird of Prey
System Name Pandemic 2020
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 "Gen 2" 2600X
Motherboard AsRock X470 Killer Promontory
Cooling CoolerMaster 240 RGB Master Cooler (Newegg Eggxpert)
Memory 32 GB Geil EVO Portenza DDR4 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS Radeon RX 580 DirectX 12 DUAL-RX580-O8G 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video C
Storage WD 250 M.2, Corsair P500 M.2, OCZ Trion 500, WD Black 1TB, Assorted others.
Display(s) ASUS MG24UQ Gaming Monitor - 23.6" 4K UHD (3840x2160) , IPS, Adaptive Sync, DisplayWidget
Case Fractal Define R6 C
Audio Device(s) Realtek 5.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RMX 850 Platinum PSU (Newegg Eggxpert)
Mouse Razer Death Adder
Keyboard Corsair K95 Mechanical & Corsair K65 Wired, Wireless, Bluetooth)
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
I dont have time to read through all these long posts. But I will say one thing: Video games do not turn folks into killers. Anyone who thinks this, is just an idiot. If you cant handle the difference in the two, then you have problems and need professional help. To those who are thinking it causes it, has problems. There hasnt been a documented case, legitimately (and I know better than the GTA stuff San Diego was reporting on) where someone thought video games were real. Anywho, this just pisses me off to no end. Just my two cents worth.

System Name HAL
Processor Core i9 13900k @5.8-6.1
Motherboard Z790 Arous master
Cooling EKWB Quantum Velocity V2 & (2) 360 Corsair XR7 Rads push/pull
Memory 2x 32GB (64GB) Gskill trident 6000 CL30 @28 1T
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 Gigagbyte gaming OC @ +200/1300
Storage (M2's) 2x Samsung 980 pro 2TB, 1xWD Black 2TB, 1x SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB
Display(s) 65" LG OLED 120HZ
Case Lian Li dyanmic Evo11 with distro plate
Power Supply Thermaltake 1350
Software Microsoft Windows 11 x64
I WISH TO GOD YOU PEOPLE WOULD GET YOUR SHT STRAIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!! the girl he shot first had nothing to do with him,,..... she didnt date him she didnt know him the first two was random and so was the other people ... he didnt get dumpd he didnt date any one. and as for video games, check again yes most of you are right its not because of games, he wasnt a gammer either. and 3rd wtf did you post this here??? im sick and tired of hearing about it. read the newspapers and or watch the boob tube and STFU cause most of you have no idea what happened or why except of what might get you reps. god ddmn. your not from here, you dont need to know why it woulnt help you and your not going to benifiet from talking about it. so sriously back off the assumptions.

(oh and to let you know before you act retarted and ask yes i am a few minutes away from VT and yes i did know 2 of the people that was killed and yes i do know they had nothing to do with this fck , and yes you are pissing me off)

I mean to offend you.. stfu and leave the forum asshat.. no one needs or wants your tone..
to friggin bad you don't want to hear about it.. no one is catering to your needs, they post whatever the hell they feel like.
go rant somewhere else.. Just because you went there or knew someone don't mean you know a single thing.. it just means your a person who lived there.. Did you talk to him? did you know him personally? i doubt it.. so stop acting like your all knowing... it's world news dude.. you think stuff like this only affects where it happens? this affects everyone who sees it.. including us.. maybe next you can tell us not to talk about the war in iraq because it pisses you off..

I'm sorry for your loss but we're not here for you to vent on..

as for video games.. lol... thats really all i can.. just lol.. sounds like another shrink trying to cover up the fact that their incompetent..
remember the bully game? that moron ranted about how bad it was for weeks, then they asked him if he had even seen or played it.. and he said "no" lol.. people just talking like they know something.. well if it was a game, what game was it? honestly the shreer ignorance of the statement is just aggravating.. people blame everything but the obvious.. the guy was missing what makes normal people.. he had some personal defect in his very genetics that made him incapable of dealing with issues.. he was a defective human being.. like dhamer or any of the other sick o's.. video games.. man, when will they stop blaming the games.? at least our "games" don't involve millions of american lives like they play with all the time in government.

whos this guy think he is coming into our forum and telling us all to stfu?

Last edited:
System Name Monolith
Processor Intel Xeon E3110 Wolfdale@3.5GHz
Motherboard MSI P35-Neo
Cooling Active Air
Memory 4GB DDR2 800
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD 3850 512MB PCI-E
Storage 1 x 80GB Internal, 1 x 250GB Internal, 1 x 40GB External
Display(s) Acer X203w
Case Generic black case with locking front bezel
Audio Device(s) Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS
Power Supply 500 Watt Seasonic M12
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Hey people, calm it down.

newbielives

What is the root cause of this problem?
hmmm
Better gun control laws?
or
Video games?

Oh yes, I've GOT IT! It must be those pesky video games.

System Name HAL
Storage (M2's) 2x Samsung 980 pro 2TB, 1xWD Black 2TB, 1x SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB
Sadly, I think the kid is getting exactly what he wanted... infamy. Thanks to the media, the killers ALWAYS get more attention then the victim(s).

As for video games causing people to go on killing sprees... I do not buy it. Back in my youth, I remember teens getting blasted for playing D&D (Dungeons and Dragons). I spent a LOT of time playing it, and none of my friends or myself had any negative emotions or desires because of it. :) I also remember playing cops and robbers... cowboys and Indians... and that never led to anything more then having fun.

Maybe... just maybe, these violent games can actually help people quench those negative feelings in a virtual world, rather then the real one??? Now, that I would believe. :)

I so agree with this... allowing this to air this much only encourages more people to do exactly the same thing.. things like this make people look at him as if he was some kind of hero. so all the people who feel like "loosers" are now one step closer on deciding to go on a killing spree and become a martyr..

you think it's a coincidence this is happeneing more and more? after the last school shooting and how they publicised it they all but put out an invitation for infamy.. they offer people a chance to die and become immortalised as some kind of dam savior to the loosers.. you want to blame something.. blame the media for making this info so readily available and shoving it in everyones face. blame them for going "aww the poor kid was messed up and had no friends" no awwww.. skrw awwww.. he was scum , he was a murderer.. he deserved the worst sort of death and a tombstone with no name and no markings..

stories like this need more careful editing.. they need to say more "he was a scumbag" and less "aww poor guy".. feeling sorry for him only encourages the belief that he was some kind of martyr.. he said " i do this for my brothers" and yada yada.. you do what? he didnt even make sense.. he thought he was doing something.. all he did was kill a bunch of children.. god says, better it be for a man that he was never born than to lay a hand on one of gods children.. he's burning in hell and he deserves it..

i know my words tend to be strong but this is a strong subject.. the media should be held accountable..

EDIT: you guys should really check out the link wazzle posted.. it is a really good story.. I am in heaven at the way they hardballed this guy lol.. made him look like a total fool from the way I see it, which is just what he is for saying something as ridiculous as "games make people kill people"

Last edited:
UK-small Village in a Valley Near Newcastle
Processor I9 9900KS @ 5.3Ghz
Motherboard Gagabyte z390 Aorus Ultra
Cooling Nexxxos Nova 1080 + 360 rad
Memory 32Gb Crucial Balliastix RGB 4.4GHz
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 3090 (Bios and Shunt Modded) 2.17GHz @ 38C
Storage NVME / SSD RAID arrays
Display(s) 38" LG 38GN950-B, 27" BENQ XL2730Z 144hz 1440p, Samsung 27" 3D 1440p
Case Thermaltake Core series
Power Supply 1.6Kw Silverstone
Mouse Roccat Kone EMP
Keyboard Corsair Viper Mechanical
Software Windows 10 Pro
I WISH TO GOD YOU PEOPLE WOULD GET YOUR SHT STRAIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!! the girl he shot first had nothing to do with him,,..... she didnt date him she didnt know him the first two was random and so was the other people ... he didnt get dumpd he didnt date any one. and as for video games, check again yes most of you are right its not because of games, he wasnt a gammer either. and 3rd wtf did you post this here??? im sick and tired of hearing about it. read the newspapers and or watch the boob tube and STFU cause most of you have no idea what happened or why except of what might get you reps. god ddmn. your not from here, you dont need to know why it woulnt help you and your not going to benifiet from talking about it. so sriously back off the assumptions.

(oh and to let you know before you act retarted and ask yes i am a few minutes away from VT and yes i did know 2 of the people that was killed and yes i do know they had nothing to do with this fck , and yes you are pissing me off)

Its awful they died, but freedom of speech dude, get used to it

System Name Ma Biatch
Processor i7 860
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3A
Cooling Noctua
Memory 8gb (4x2gb) G-Skill
Video Card(s) GTX 470
Storage WD5000aaks raid0
Display(s) Sony Bravia 37" 1080p
Case CM 690
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX520
Software Windows 7 Ultimate
well ive seen the (partial) videos on the news and i have some things to say. i dont know how any politician can blame this on anyone aside from the authorities who let this person get to such a state of physchosis/paranoia without any kind of formal intervention/detention. the warning signs were there for years according to the news and no one bothered to intervene, then a crisis of this scale errupts and the blame is shifted (to avoid competence suits? ), maybe if his college tutors/friends/counsellors insisted to the higher authorities that this person needs help/some form of detention this massacre would have been avoided.

the signs were there and nobody done anything, yes he was reported a couple of times by 2 girls he stalked and a tutor but thats as far as it went (unless you call the 24 hours he spent with mental health officials addequate). it myths me how an individual of this state of mind can go into any gun shop in america and walk out with all manner of firearms/assault wepaons less that half an hour, now this isnt aimed at those die hard gun supporteres who think its there right to carry firearms but more at the laws regarding the aqquisition of firearms or the lack of. what im saying is, its too easy to purchase guns, i understand some people feel its their right to own them fair enough, but for any physco to walk into any gunshop in the usa and purchase a "DIY killing spree kit" in 20 minutes is apalling and somthing needs doing.

shmig

counter-argument: there are many people who either directly or indirectly use video games as a means of releasing stress, anger, and even violent behavior. The simple fact that people's mindsets do change as they play *any* video game is a clear sign that video games can function as a means of escape from reality. This in no way implies that this escape will envelope or in any way become confused with real-reality. And under this premise, video games could easily reduce violent bahavior.

There are exceptions of course. And if the proposed theory has any grounding at all, it is likely one of these exceptions (in my opinion).

On a completely different point: I am senior in college myself, I'm not entirely social, and I am also unusually creative (though not morbid or violent). While discussing this with my father he went so far to blame the college itself on this behavior. I came to realize this probably has more grounding than it first appears. It is shocking the contradictions professors make when dealing with students. They are more than willing to tell us we are adults, but are just as likely to tell use to grow up and be responsible. Seating arrangements and attendance are actually more common now than it was for me when I took my first college courses in 2000.

Rather than expand further I'll simply explain why my father made the comment in the first place. I had to miss two days of class recently to go to my grandfather's funeral. I informed my professors immediately, and gave documentation to one of them as he requested. When I get back I found out my absence was not excused at all. The missed classes will in-fact affect my "participation points" (of which is also a childish joke) accounting for 25% of my grade, as well as a missed quiz (quizzes being worth 15% of my final grade. Though 2 missed classes and one quiz isn't much, it may account for as much as 2-3% of my final grade. For those of you not in school that could drop the grade from an A to B+, or C+ to C. When a life-long career is at stake, thousands if not tens of thousands of dollars are invested in such an education, and because a student has next to no recourse to fix such problems in an environment where you are paying for a service, I can easily see how someone might just flip out. Fortunately I'm just spiteful, and not violent.

In case you didn't want to read my rant, I'll simplify and sumarize. Perhaps this kid just got a bad grade, or better yet just had to deal with just another bad professor. If he did get screwed by a professor it's not like he ever had any path for recourse in the first place.

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
no no it's because as he was beat as a kid and didn't ever get a bike

Processor Intel C2D E6420 (3.2 gHz @ 1.365v)
Motherboard Gigabyte 965P-DS3
Cooling Zalman CNPS9500 LED
Memory 4 x 512mb Corsair XMS2 DDR2 667
Video Card(s) Visiontek HD 4870 512mb
Storage 200gb Maxtor SATA, 400gb WD SATA
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2 ZS
Software Windows XP Pro SP2

The care cup is empty \_/. You're sick and tired of hearing it? THEN DON'T LISTEN. Just because we're not from there, we're not allowed to talk about it? Sounds like you've got sand in your vagina. Cry yourself a river. Build a bridge. Get over it. An incident as big as this is bound to be discussed everywhere by people from all walks of life; you being connected to some people that were there doesn't make you any more important than the common man/woman.

In any case, blaming violent video games is retarded. Dr. Phil = fail. Jack Thompson = fail. If anything is to blame here it is his teachers and roomate(s) for not warning someone official, and possibly the medicines he was taking.

System Name HAL
The care cup is empty \_/. You're sick and tired of hearing it? THEN DON'T LISTEN. Just because we're not from there, we're not allowed to talk about it? Sounds like you've got sand in your vagina. Cry yourself a river. Build a bridge. Get over it. An incident as big as this is bound to be discussed everywhere by people from all walks of life; you being connected to some people that were there doesn't make you any more important than the common man/woman.

In any case, blaming violent video games is retarded. Dr. Phil = fail. Jack Thompson = fail. If anything is to blame here it is his teachers and roomate(s) for not warning someone official, and possibly the medicines he was taking.

lmfao @ cry yourself a river, build a bridge and get over it" omg thats perfect lol.. I hope you don't mind if I steal it..lol.. I'm so using that...lol...:laugh:

little geek

Processor pentium d 930 3ghz 2x2mb cache
Motherboard sg-95 abit
Cooling stock with 4 case fans
Memory 2gb 667mhz cheap kingston stuff
Video Card(s) x1600pro pci-e stock 500/500 oc 600/650 on evercool turbo 2
Storage 3 hdd's pata, 320gb diamondmax, maxtor dm plus 9 80gb,seagate 80gb
Display(s) dell big crt m9990 & mesh thingy
Case air box case
Audio Device(s) ac97
Power Supply 400watt akasa
Software xp professional service pack 2
i think it would be kind of funny if they found messages in this kids place written by himself telling him to kill those kids from DR.Phil lol if that happens will Dr phil blame games still no,personaly i find games realy stress relieving, this kid obviously didnt play enough:slap:

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
I like playing GTA:SA and busting down on other gangs, busting a cap in some fool on the street is just as absurd as it was before I got into gaming.

I still dislike to kill anything, haven't gone hunting since I was a kid playing pac man or Oregon Trails. I feel it is better to shoot through the lens of my camera than with a rifle. And I would much rather watch a bear through binoculars than through a scope.

Everyone is ranting and raving about how someone else should have turned him in, but what if they did? Then he would be on about how his rights were infringed upon, just like you would if someone said you were a loon. So either get ready to give up some personal rights, or be ready to put up with the actions of others, as it effects their personal rights.

Rejectcase

BLah blah blah. dude stick to the post im glad you took out the extra time to feel better by bashing me. thanx (like i reallllly needed you to tell me what i already knew captin obvious)

Thanx for your.... well what ever you wanna call feed back, on a little bit of an outburst .. here im sorry for pissing on your 1st amendment rights.. does it make you feel better now. and durrrrrrrrrr before you start bitching about other people voicing thier openioin and saying you can ,,, well dumb ass i was doing the same thing.

O and sure wtfever games have nothing to do with it, blah blah, seriously. its already shown that playing games like F.P.S can improve hand eye cordination, and consentration, but i really dont think they look at the fact that people have been slaughtering people since before the atari came out or D&D, (which was the whole thing with the two kids that raped and killed some little girl in the 70's but back then it was D&D to blam. They pretty much have to have some reason to blame a person for snaping and going A-Wall aside from the fact that people arent perfect and some people are fn nuts from the start.

Last edited:

zekrahminator

McLovin
Processor AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Brisbane @ 2.8GHz (224x12.5, 1.425V)
Motherboard Gigabyte sumthin-or-another, it's got an nForce 430
Cooling Dual 120mm case fans front/rear, Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro, Zalman VF-900 on GPU
Memory 2GB G.Skill DDR2 800
Video Card(s) Sapphire X850XT @ 580/600
Storage WD 160 GB SATA hard drive.
Display(s) Hanns G 19" widescreen, 5ms response time, 1440x900
Case Thermaltake Soprano (black with side window).
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Live! 24 bit (paired with X-530 speakers).
Power Supply ThermalTake 430W TR2
Software XP Home SP2, can't wait for Vista SP1.
And watch as this thread slowly spirals down the toilet....right into the lock.

Status
Not open for further replies.