• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Imation Acquires TDK Brand Recording Media Business

malware

Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 VID: 1.2125
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3P rev.2.0
Cooling Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme + Noctua NF-S12 Fan
Memory 4x1 GB PQI DDR2 PC2-6400
Video Card(s) Colorful iGame Radeon HD 4890 1 GB GDDR5
Storage 2x 500 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 32 MB RAID0
Display(s) BenQ G2400W 24-inch WideScreen LCD
Case Cooler Master COSMOS RC-1000 (sold), Cooler Master HAF-932 (delivered)
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic + Logitech Z-5500 Digital THX
Power Supply Chieftec CFT-1000G-DF 1kW
Software Laptop: Lenovo 3000 N200 C2DT2310/3GB/120GB/GF7300/15.4"/Razer
Imation Corp. and TDK announced today that they have reached a definitive agreement under which Imation will acquire TDK brand world wide recording media business and use of the TDK brand name for recording media products, for $300 million in a combination of Imation common stock and cash with potential for payment of up to an additional $70 million based on future financial performance of the acquired business. TDK will retain its R&D, manufacturing and OEM business. The boards of directors of both companies have approved the transaction.

Highlights of the proposed transaction include the following:
  • Imation will acquire TDK brand recording media business and use of TDK brand name for current and future recording media products including magnetic tape, optical media, flash media and accessories.
  • At closing, TDK will receive approximately $280 million in Imation common stock, representing approximately 17 percent of shares outstanding, and $20 million in cash subject to certain conditions. This transaction will make TDK the largest shareholder of Imation and TDK will have the right to nominate a representative to serve on the Imation Board of Directors. By agreement, TDK's ownership stake will not exceed 22 percent of Imation common stock on a fully diluted basis.
  • TDK brand recording media business operates globally, with major operations in Europe, Japan, the United States, and Asia. A number of TDK brand recording media employees are expected to transfer to Imation upon close. The transaction is expected to close in the third calendar quarter of 2007, subject to customary closing conditions.
  • TDK will continue R&D and manufacturing operations for recording media products including audio, video and data storage tape, and Blu-ray optical discs. TDK will supply Imation as well as its other OEM customers.
  • The transaction includes a Supply Agreement providing uninterrupted and continuing supply of TDK brand products to the market.
Frank Russomanno, Imation President and CEO said: "With this transaction Imation expands our portfolio of brands and builds on our four pillars of storage. Imation is bringing the well known TDK brand into our growing portfolio of strong consumer brands as well as adding the highly respected TDK brand recording media products to our commercial and consumer product portfolio."

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

WarEagleAU

Bird of Prey
System Name Pandemic 2020
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 "Gen 2" 2600X
Motherboard AsRock X470 Killer Promontory
Cooling CoolerMaster 240 RGB Master Cooler (Newegg Eggxpert)
Memory 32 GB Geil EVO Portenza DDR4 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS Radeon RX 580 DirectX 12 DUAL-RX580-O8G 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video C
Storage WD 250 M.2, Corsair P500 M.2, OCZ Trion 500, WD Black 1TB, Assorted others.
Display(s) ASUS MG24UQ Gaming Monitor - 23.6" 4K UHD (3840x2160) , IPS, Adaptive Sync, DisplayWidget
Case Fractal Define R6 C
Audio Device(s) Realtek 5.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RMX 850 Platinum PSU (Newegg Eggxpert)
Mouse Razer Death Adder
Keyboard Corsair K95 Mechanical & Corsair K65 Wired, Wireless, Bluetooth)
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Well, at least they keep the ODD making part and R&D. I have mixed reviews on Imations, though most of my burns at various speeds (around 80% of burns, so not bad) were working, 20% were coasters. I dont like Coasters. However, I have never had a problem with TDK media, in fact, I believe they are Taiyo Yuken (SP?) media made, I think, which is considered the best. Im not sure if Imation will make the media or, as it states, TDK will supply them with the media and Imation gets the money under the TDK brand name. Thanks for the information.