• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Help reviving my Corsair Force GT 240GB :(

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
I just want to point out that the oven is a very sane solution if the problem is solder joints. I've revived motherboards and 8800GT's that way.

Yes, that assumes that the solder is the problem in the first place though. Considering how SSDs don't run very hot in the first place as their power usage is incredibly low, so I doubt solder was running. nVidia had some issues a while back because they switched the kind of solder they used and between the temps and the new solder, it wouldn't stay completely solid. Either way, I doubt that is the problem here.

The heatgun method I mentioned is basically a less crude version of putting it in the oven.

And while SSDs don't consume a lot of power, the controllers(especially Sandforce for some reason) can get very hot. I've taken SSDs part and seen discoloration from heat around the controller on the inside of the case. So a solder issue isn't out of the question, IMO.

System Name Project Evolv mATX V2
Processor 5800X3D
Motherboard ASRock B550M Steel Legend
Cooling AK400 Zero Dark Plus
Memory 32gb (4x8) G.SKILL 3200 C14 / 1T running at 3400
Video Card(s) Sapphire 6800XT Nitro
Storage Samsung 980 pro NVMe 2TB
Display(s) Dual Samsung 27" G50A's
Case Phanteks Enthoo Evolv mATX in Silver
Audio Device(s) To many to list - generally a modified E-MU 0404 combined with a Project Ember for my desktop use
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 750W
Software Win 11
If there is no other option with it but trash, send it my way to the states and I will see if I can revive it. I have a little background in things that can help IF it is in fact solder related.

System Name Alienware m15
Processor Intel® Core i7 8750H
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB
Case Space black anodized aluminum
Software Windows 8.1 Pro x64
Many thanks for offering to help out Garage1217, much appreciated. Your advice from before has helped me more than enough already.
When you suggested I get in contact Corsair even after going just over my warranty I did just that. Corsair were kind enough to offer a replacement, and even keep the RMA active until I sort the data recovery part out which is fantastic!

The problem now is trying to recover data without voiding the warranty (although effectively it is out of it). After already trying the safest methods (enclosure, sata, USB 2/3, esata, 'power cycle' etc), I have a feeling the only thing that will be left is to open up the SSD by a professional service to look at.
I'm just waiting on Corsair's response to see if they will allow me to recover data by opening up the SSD.

Corsair do not offer data recovery services. They will diagnose to determine if the drive is faulty and then send a replacement, assuming they simply dispose/destroy the faulty SSD.
However I have asked as an alternative solution if the faulty drive can be sent back with the replacement drive, even at an extra cost. That way I wouldn't have to then worry about using a service that will open up the SSD for data recovery. Waiting on a response to this also.

Externally it is in very good condition - I guess all it has been doing is sitting the in the laptop since day 1.

BTW anyone with Force GT's have these lights showing when powered on?
Left side is red, right side is green. Can only really notice these lights in the dark. SSD was being powered up in a docking station.

J.C. Reid

If your device is not being detected it is likely that there is a failure of the processor or firmware (microcode) of the device. Recovery of the data involves either reprogramming the microcode, interfacing with the SSD via an engineering mode, or removal of the NAND chips and emulating the processor chips. For the latter there are real limitations with error control checking (ECC) and getting a good read-out.

Regarding your specific model. The model of SSD you have use a SandForce SF-2282VB1 processor. This encrypts data to the flash NAND chips. At the moment it is not supported by either of the manufacturers of the data recovery equipment used for SSD recovery - AceLabs PC3000 SSD or SoftCenter. This means that currently no data recovery company will be able to recover the data if the processor chip has failed. This issue has been covered on our SSD data recovery website, for the earlier Sandforce processor models (including the notorious OCZ vertex range which had a very high failure rate).

It is possible that there is a another sort of failure, which relates to other components on the printed circuit board (e.g. a failed capacitor, resistor, or broken solder joints). If this is the case then it should be possible to recover the data from the SSD.

System Name Alienware m15
Processor Intel® Core i7 8750H
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB
Case Space black anodized aluminum
Software Windows 8.1 Pro x64
Thanks for the informative reply J.C. Reid. Sounds like some serious work might have to go into recovering data, which depending on costs I might have to leave in the end.

Fingers crossed that its just an electronics fault.

I am still waiting for Corsair to respond; Still need to find out if I'm ok to send the SSD for data recovery before getting a replacement as they have issued a RMA for it. Once I know what is happening with Corsair I'll be sure to get in touch.

Apologies for not replying sooner. Been busy networking up computers (on a thread elsewhere :d) all day.

Last edited: