• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Lockheed says makes breakthrough on fusion energy project

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
So basically you're arguing that there should be more govt funding of research. No argument here.
Only in fields that are too expensive for private research which basically encompasses only two fields: health research and space research. Fusion fits under space. Private industry doesn't need incentive to research the rest.

There's a ton of research going on all of the time that is never accounted for when compared to government funding for research. Case in point: Intel developing smaller fabs is all research and they don't get a dime for it from the government. They may get tax incentives for building in a specific place but they aren't getting paid to make circuits smaller. Another example is fast food chains expanding their line up of foods. They have to research what foods people want, design a means to mass produce it, and ensure their logistics system can handle it. They see virtually no government funds for this. Or how about GE designing more efficient turbine engines. The only way they get funds is because of a government contract to buy the engines, not because the government set aside research funds for it. As TheMailMan said, most of the research is going into projects that are crony at best, fraudulent at worst. The government is notoriously bad at delegating funds for research because it's based on political favors, not what American society requires.

Last edited:
System Name Darkside
Processor R7 3700X
Motherboard Aorus Elite X570
Cooling Deepcool Gammaxx l240
Memory Thermaltake Toughram DDR4 3600MHz CL18
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RX Vega 64 Gaming OC
Storage ADATA & WD 500GB NVME PCIe 3.0, many WD Black 1-3TB HD
Display(s) Samsung C27JG5x
Case Thermaltake Level 20 XL
Audio Device(s) iFi xDSD / micro iTube2 / micro iCAN SE
Power Supply EVGA 750W G2
Mouse Corsair M65
Keyboard Corsair K70 LUX RGB
Benchmark Scores Not sure, don't care
Uh, people are missing the big picture. If it can fit in the back up a truck then it can fit in a... wait for it... SPACE SHIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know eh? My first thought was 'one step closer to an impulse drive!' Engage!! :p

System Name octo1
Processor dual Xeon 2687W ES
Motherboard Supermicro
Cooling dual Noctua NH-D14
Memory generic ECC reg
Video Card(s) 2 HD7950
Storage generic
Case Rosewill Thor
Only in fields that are too expensive for private research which basically encompasses only two fields: health research and space research. Fusion fits under space. Private industry doesn't need incentive to research the rest.

There's a ton of research going on all of the time that is never accounted for when compared to government funding for research. Case in point: Intel developing smaller fabs is all research and they don't get a dime for it from the government. They may get tax incentives for building in a specific place but they aren't getting paid to make circuits smaller. Another example is fast food chains expanding their line up of foods. They have to research what foods people want, design a means to mass produce it, and ensure their logistics system can handle it. They see virtually no government funds for this. Or how about GE designing more efficient turbine engines. The only way they get funds is because of a government contract to buy the engines, not because the government set aside research funds for it. As TheMailMan said, most of the research is going into projects that are crony at best, fraudulent at worst. The government is notoriously bad at delegating funds for research because it's based on political favors, not what American society requires.
It's good to know that you have such a comprehensive knowledge of the state of research and what is needed. Good for you.

System Name Senile
Processor I7-4790K@4.8 GHz 24/7
Motherboard MSI Z97-G45 Gaming
Cooling Be Quiet Pure Rock Air
Memory 16GB 4x4 G.Skill CAS9 2133 Sniper
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE Vega 64
Storage Samsung EVO 500GB / 8 Different WDs / QNAP TS-253 8GB NAS with 2x10Tb WD Blue
Display(s) 34" LG 34CB88-P 21:9 Curved UltraWide QHD (3440*1440) *FREE_SYNC*
Case Rosewill
Audio Device(s) Onboard + HD HDMI
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB & G610 Orion Red
Software Win 10
Yeah, that sounds strange. I always thought that plasma was slipperier than snail slime. You squeeze it over here and it pops out in 6 different places. IIRC, torus shaped reactors keep the plasma flowing in a circle around the torus - I guess to create some momentum/inertia the plasma would have to overcome to break containment. Dynamically shaping the field in response to changes in the plasma sounds like a very neat trick if they can pull it off.

That's what is so cool about the very tech we get hot about, sensors, computing speed and computing power. Maybe that's the key to all this. Traditional fusion has dabbled with static containment fields, or ones that don't react fast enough!

System Name Home Brewed
Processor i9-7900X and i7-8700K
Motherboard ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme & ASUS Prime Z-370 A
Cooling Corsair 280mm AIO & Thermaltake Water 3.0
Memory 64GB DDR4-3000 GSKill RipJaws-V & 32GB DDR4-3466 GEIL Potenza
Video Card(s) 2X-GTX-1080 SLI & 2 GTX-1070Ti 8GB G1 Gaming in SLI
Storage Both have 2TB HDDs for storage, 480GB SSDs for OS, and 240GB SSDs for Steam Games
Display(s) ACER 28" B286HK 4K & Samsung 32" 1080P
Case NZXT Source 540 & Rosewill Rise Chassis
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair RM1000 & Corsair RM850
Mouse Generic
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Tournament & Corsair K90
Software Win-10 Professional
Benchmark Scores yes
I worked at Rockwell International and Boeing Aerospace for a combined 20 years. (retired from Boeing) There is a lot of research and development going on in the private sector, all of the time.
I was witness to a lot of it and it was spectacular to see.
All of the large corporations have Labs and do a lot of studies too.

Imagine taking the rocket engine out of an Aircraft's Missile and throwing it away, ~then~ ending up with an (engine-less) missile that is twice as fast and has twice the range. They did things like that using some simple ideas and taking chances on them.

Also, The US Government will open a R&D bid session describing what it wants in the way of new technology or equipment. This is usually stuff that doesn't yet exist.
Manufacturers then put their thinking caps on and come up with ideas to give it to them.
Based on the responses from different companies, the government awards money to one, or more companies to develop their ideas.
This happens all of the time. Some of it is secret.

Years earlier, I was in the US Army and worked for the Combat Developments Experimentation Command. (at Hunter Liggett, California and then in Ft. Greely, Alaska)
I got to see the development of laser aided targeting and computer aided aiming for pilots. Some private contractors were involved with these ideas.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.

Doesn't really matter how the government defines "R&D" and funding. Its all what how much "K Street" can graft off the top. The F-35 is a prime example.

As for the fusion reactor it will go to the highest bidder in which ever crooked agency needs perpetual drones to spy on people not paying their taxes to K street.........errr the "Government".

System Name octo1
Motherboard Supermicro
Memory generic ECC reg
Video Card(s) 2 HD7950
Storage generic
Case Rosewill Thor
I worked at Rockwell International and Boeing Aerospace for a combined 20 years. (retired from Boeing) There is a lot of research and development going on in the private sector, all of the time.
I was witness to a lot of it and it was spectacular to see.
All of the large corporations have Labs and do a lot of studies too.

Imagine taking the rocket engine out of an Aircraft's Missile and throwing it away, ~then~ ending up with an (engine-less) missile that is twice as fast and has twice the range. They did things like that using some simple ideas and taking chances on them.

Also, The US Government will open a R&D bid session describing what it wants in the way of new technology or equipment. This is usually stuff that doesn't yet exist.
Manufacturers then put their thinking caps on and come up with ideas to give it to them.
Based on the responses from different companies, the government awards money to one, or more companies to develop their ideas.
This happens all of the time. Some of it is secret.

Years earlier, I was in the US Army and worked for the Combat Developments Experimentation Command. (at Hunter Liggett, California and then in Ft. Greely, Alaska)
I got to see the development of laser aided targeting and computer aided aiming for pilots. Some private contractors were involved with these ideas.
I was talking about basic research. Things like the human genome project which, though it was started by the govt and laid much of the groundwork in terms of how best to go about it, it was Venter's company that actually completed it - ahead of schedule. So it's not like I'm saying there's no place for private research or that companies don't do it. The article I linked to shows that about half of basic research is private. But that probably includes a lot of privately funded charities and institutes.

The problem is that most companies want to see practical results from their research. Some, like IBM might do it just because it's the right thing to do, but they're the exception not the rule. And when times are tight, research is the first thing to get cut - both govt and private. There's also the fact that govt funded research has to be public domain, so it adds to our knowledge base. Corporate funded research may not get published at all since they own the IP.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
The article I linked to shows that about half of basic research is private.
That only includes projects that have some public funding (read: vast minority). Government doesn't have access to any data on entirely privately funded R&D which comprises of the lion's share of R&D spending. Case in point: your graph shows federal spending of about $66 billion per year on R&D. The top 10 semiductor companies alone spent $28 billion on R&D in 2013 (Intel being #1, of course, at over $10 billion). The government is a tiny fish in a huge R&D pond.

The things the government needs to research are projects that private industry sees no potential profit in. A prime example of this is an Ebola vaccine. Private companies won't waste resources on it until after there is an epidemic (read: lots of potential customers). Public funding changes that calculation leading to preemptive research.

Coming back to the topic: everyone knows fusion will pay off but the unknown factor is not knowing how much it will cost before the pay off comes. Lockheed has apparently committed to paying that cost (or at least recruiting others to share the cost) because their government contracts dry up if they don't innovate. Fusion is pretty much the pinnacle of innovation for the time being because it solves many, many problems we're facing today.

Last edited:
System Name octo1
Motherboard Supermicro
Memory generic ECC reg
Video Card(s) 2 HD7950
Storage generic
Case Rosewill Thor
The things the government needs to research are projects that private industry sees no potential profit in. A prime example of this is an Ebola vaccine. Private companies won't waste resources on it until after there is an epidemic (read: lots of potential customers). Public funding changes that calculation leading to preemptive research.
Exactly. Which has been the point I've been trying to make. Which basically contradicts your previous statement.
The only time a government organization got close was the Manhattan Project (and similar all-in projects) and there's two features of projects that get results: 1) secrecy (most government leaders know nothing about it so they can't politicize it) and 2) they're ran like a free enterprise business in that they are objective oriented. The fact is, a second Manhattan Project will never happen because there will never be another Franklin D. Roosevelt. He was practically a dictator ("wartime president") for 3 going on 4 terms. Congress gave him what he asked for the most part and that allowed the Manhattan Project to happen.
Basic research is what makes practical R&D possible. Even things as seemingly irrelevant to everyday life like astronomy and astrophysics can and do lead to discoveries that eventually have practical benefits.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
I was replying to this statement:
Lockheed is one of the most innovative companies in the world. There isn't a single government entity in the WORLD that can compete with their kind of innovation. They are the definition of what a free market can do.
The Manhattan project cost $2 billion dollars from 1939 to 1945 in 1945 dollars which calculates to $26.4 billion in today's dollars. By contrast, we've only spent $22.4 billion dollars from 1953 to 2012 on fusion which will cost a lot more than fission due to its nature. Fusion research was politicized by the gas & oil industry which is why the federal government is putting virtually nothing into it today.

Obviously we don't know how much Lockheed has spent on fusion but I guarantee you it was a lot more than the federal government did in the last decade.

Even things as seemingly irrelevant to everyday life like astronomy and astrophysics can and do lead to discoveries that eventually have practical benefits.
That's a stretch. If you want practical benefits from those fields of study, you're better off pumping it into space research (NASA/DARPA). Going there tells us a whole lot more than a telescope can not to mention all of the breakthroughs that are required just to make it happen.

Edit: Example of research fraud that like came out of NIH's R&D budget.

Last edited:

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
I don't think there's any reasonable way to turn fusion into space propulsion. It could be used to produce power for electrical systems on ships/satellites/probes though. Lockheed never mentioned what the refueling process is like however (constantly needs more fuel? can be fueled once and last for x length of time? is there a way to slow and accelerate the reaction? and so on).

that concept warp drive of NASA's that allowed minor space propulsion on only electricity paired with this would work pretty well.