• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Bad Sectors, HDD going bad?

System Name ---
Processor FX 8350 @ 4.00 Ghz with 1.28v
Motherboard Gigabyte 990FX-UD3 v4.0, Hacked Bios F4.x
Cooling Silenx 4 pipe Tower cooler + 2 x Cougar 120mm fan, 3 x 120mm, 1 x 200 mm Red LED fan
Memory Kingston HyperX DDR3 1866 16GB + Patriot Memory DDR3 1866 16GB
Video Card(s) Asus R9 290 OC @ GPU - 1050, MEM - 1300
Storage Inland 256GB PCIe NVMe SSD for OS, WDC Black - 2TB + 1TB Storage, Inland 480GB SSD - Games
Display(s) 3 x 1080P LCDs - Acer 25" + Acer 23" + HP 23"
Case AeroCool XPredator X3
Audio Device(s) Built-in Realtek
Power Supply Corsair HX1000 Modular
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
I have a WD Green 1.5TB drive with 64MB cache and its an Advanced format drive. I use it in a external ESata case for backing up my machines. Mainly I connect to my old Windows 2003 server (Enterprise Edition) which acts as my main storage server and copy necessary files to the 1.5TB.

Recently after finishing my usual backup set and was about to check if everything is ok, I randomly tried to open a file and windows threw a error saying the file is corrupted or missing. then tried to open another from the same folder, error!! From a different folder no problem.

I used CrystalDiskInfo to check the drive health and it was in Yellow - Said 'C5 - Current Pending Sector Count' and Raw values showed "1". Did google search and some said might have been a suspect sector and its marked and hence the files are corrupted.

I attached the drive thru USB to my W7 machine and using Mini Tool HDD wizard, filled the drive with zeros and formatted. The error went away. I thought ok I was lucky. Now again connected to the W2K3 server thru Esata and did the same shit load of 1.5TB copying. After that I checked with Crystal and this it reported same error with Raw values now 2. Before copying, Crystal disk reported Good.

Since this is Advanced format drive, does W2K3 somehow corrupt the drive? OR the drive is dying slowly?

The drive is a refurb, replacement from WD, they replaced a dead 1TB green drive with this one. Its almost 3 yrs old now. Never had problems before. Been doing the backups from the W2K3 server for past 3 yrs (but recently filling up almost close to 1.5TB).

I am guessing the Mini Tool when writing Zeros does a low level format? Or low level format is different?

Or is the drive dying, time for a new drive?

Please help.

:toast:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Either controller on mobo, cable, or hdd is shot. Do you have other esata ports? Green drives are not that good and are a marketing gimmick probably time to switch manufacturers/brands.

I used CrystalDiskInfo to check the drive health and it was in Yellow

Whenever you see yellow stuff in SMART reports replace the drive asap and before that backup everything that can be backed up. Back in the day I would say that you can use Victoria or something to fix it but now it's not that actual.

But maybe it's a controller's fault

System Name ---
Cooling Silenx 4 pipe Tower cooler + 2 x Cougar 120mm fan, 3 x 120mm, 1 x 200 mm Red LED fan
Storage Inland 256GB PCIe NVMe SSD for OS, WDC Black - 2TB + 1TB Storage, Inland 480GB SSD - Games
The controller is a PCIE ESata card. I can try onboard sata port to Esata. I also suspect the external case is probably dying too. Should I get a new case or just dump it altogether and buy one of the external 2TB drives?

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Id say its easiest to get an external drive

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
Try the drive in another machine. Since it's a storage drive it should be no problem. If it says it on the other one, then it most certainly time to think about replacing. My son has one with a pending sector count of 5, and crystal disk shows yellow. Verified on another machine. However, it has stayed there for several months and not grown. So you could luck out, but more than likely it will be a cascading effect like dominoes.

SuperSoph_WD

WD Rep
Hey there, @suraswami!

I'd suggest to try WD Align for Windows. The WD Align software aligns partitions on the Advanced Format drive to ensure it provides full performance for certain configurations. I'd check this article as well.
However, what the community has suggested as troubleshooting options is worth trying as well.
I'd take @rtwjunkie's advice and try testing the drive on another computer.
Also make sure you use the WD diagnostics tool to test it - Data LifeGuard. Perform an extended test and see if the sector count error will occur again.
If it does, I'd definitely consider replacing the drive. If you are thinking of an external replacement, I'd suggest to take a look at WD Elements or My Passport Ultra.

Hope this helps you. :)
SuperSoph_WD

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
May I suggest running an enhanced secure erase on the drive instead of writing the zeroes to it? Format it shortly after, check the smart data with whatever tool you're comfortable with and then run from there. I do tend to tear drives out from whatever they're in though, and plug them direct into sata. One of the many reasons I dislike a select few of WD's passport drives, because they don't have sata interfaces on them at all, just that frightening USB interface (which becomes an issue when it's the USB port that's broken).

SuperSoph_WD

WD Rep
May I suggest running an enhanced secure erase on the drive instead of writing the zeroes to it? Format it shortly after, check the smart data with whatever tool you're comfortable with and then run from there. I do tend to tear drives out from whatever they're in though, and plug them direct into sata. One of the many reasons I dislike a select few of WD's passport drives, because they don't have sata interfaces on them at all, just that frightening USB interface (which becomes an issue when it's the USB port that's broken).
To add to what @RCoon said, you can use the Data LifeGuard Diagnostics tool to perform a FULL ERASE (writing zeros) on the HDD. This will wipe out everything, not just write zeros to the first and last million sectors of the drive: http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1211
As for the WD My Passport externals, it is pretty important to know that they have a hardware encryption, which allows extra security and makes the drive unable to be used outside of the enclosure.
This is exactly why I recommended to take a look at WD Elements as well, because they do not incorporate such hardware encryption but offer almost the same capacity and speed as My Passport.
Some users prefer the security and others don't.
I do get why the USB interface frightens you though, @RCoon :)

Hope this was helpful!
SuperSoph_WD

System Name ---
Hey there, @suraswami!

I'd suggest to try WD Align for Windows. The WD Align software aligns partitions on the Advanced Format drive to ensure it provides full performance for certain configurations. I'd check this article as well.
However, what the community has suggested as troubleshooting options is worth trying as well.
I'd take @rtwjunkie's advice and try testing the drive on another computer.
Also make sure you use the WD diagnostics tool to test it - Data LifeGuard. Perform an extended test and see if the sector count error will occur again.
If it does, I'd definitely consider replacing the drive. If you are thinking of an external replacement, I'd suggest to take a look at WD Elements or My Passport Ultra.

Hope this helps you. :)
SuperSoph_WD

Thanks for posting.

Question -
"
WD Align is only necessary for users who have:
  • Installed Windows XP to a WD AFD
  • Cloned a source bootable hard drive with any Windows OS to a target AFD
  • Created single or multiple partitions on an AFD using Windows XP
"

From above seems like I need only for XP. Since Windows 2003 EE has same core as XP do I need to install the software on the server so it will be aware of the Advanced Format?

I don't remember if I had the jumper, I will have to pull out the drive and check it.

I already did a full drive zero write, followed by a slow format. When checked initially there were no bad sectors, even after 750GB of copying, somewhere between copying 750 and 1TB+ there is a bad sector.

I will try out the suggestions mentioned in this thread. I have copied whatever needed from this drive, so I am covered. I will give this one more try and if still bad, say bye bye and buy a new drive.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Id skip green drives altogether

SuperSoph_WD

WD Rep
Thanks for posting.

Question -
"
WD Align is only necessary for users who have:
  • Installed Windows XP to a WD AFD
  • Cloned a source bootable hard drive with any Windows OS to a target AFD
  • Created single or multiple partitions on an AFD using Windows XP
"

From above seems like I need only for XP. Since Windows 2003 EE has same core as XP do I need to install the software on the server so it will be aware of the Advanced Format?

I don't remember if I had the jumper, I will have to pull out the drive and check it.

I already did a full drive zero write, followed by a slow format. When checked initially there were no bad sectors, even after 750GB of copying, somewhere between copying 750 and 1TB+ there is a bad sector.

I will try out the suggestions mentioned in this thread. I have copied whatever needed from this drive, so I am covered. I will give this one more try and if still bad, say bye bye and buy a new drive.
Hi again, @suraswami!

Very good question which our tech support might be able to answer right away, however I had to do my research.
Unfortunately, on the newer drives the jumper functionality has been removed. Windows 2003 Server might not be able to let you install the WD Align, but I'd recommend to format it on Windows 7 or on XP using the WD Alignment utility.
This blog post might be useful to you as well: http://www.joewein.net/blog/2013/03...ive-alignment-for-windows-xp-and-2003-server/
It's a good thing that you have your data backed up. And if it doesn't work, I'd suggest you go for a NAS/RAID new drive like WD Red for your server. As @eidairaman1 mentioned WD Green drives are not really suitable for this. However, WD Reds are the recommended choice for such purposes: http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=810

Hope this helps. :)
SuperSoph_WD

Installed my self opensoureforge HDD Guardian, it is supposed to early warn of errors.

Just in case..

WildChild2

Backup the drive, try it in a different machine, and then if no better results, do enhanced secure erase and ONLY use that drive as a temporary storage one. Have some insight to drive industry and know Hitachi has lowest failure rate...or at least did a year or so ago.