• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

LED Monitor VS Plasma HDTV for Games and Movies

Hello guys, I need your advice once more
I'm planning to replace my 27" HD monitor but I would like to know some details before I do so.
Sorry for creating this thread again as it has already been many times, but I cant find the answers I'm looking for, opinions seem to conflict and I'm confused.

To begin with, UHD is out of the question, my MSI N580GTX already struggles big time with some of the newest games, plus it's way out of budget. Also, as I live in Greece, my options are kinda limited when talking about monitors and buying one from abroad, e.g. eBay or NewEgg comes with a lot of import taxes so I'm thinking of a TV, as their price tag is way cheaper, but I'd wanna know at what cost, regarding performance.

As I been searching I came across this TV at the price of 500€, which is as much as I paid for my current monitor back in the day. For a comparison, the only monitor which I found on stores here close to my budget (~500-600€) is this at 400€.

What do you think, is it worth the money to go for the monitor for just 3" and the resolution difference, or shall I go big (which sounds more appealing to me) ? And if I do so, will there be a noticeable difference on the overall experience (image for movies etc, input lag for gaming).

I'm kindly asking you to enlighten me on these factors:

Contrast ratio
The contrast ratio is counted differently on the TV (3,000,000:1) than my current monitor (1000:1 / 5M:1 DFC) and I don't know what to expect on terms of colour difference. For example, my 27" primary has better whites but my 19" secondary LDC monitor has way better blacks, even though it has lower ratio (850:1).

Pixel density
The TV is at ~44PPI while my current monitor is at ~82PPI (and I find the image very satisfying), almost double, will the difference be noticeable and annoying while I play? (taken in account that I'm closer to the monitor when I play that when I watch movies)

Input lag
Both my current monitors have 5ms response time, while the to-buy monitor/TV both don't display anywhere their response times. Weiil there be a problem like ghosting or slow commands while playing an FPS for example?

Refresh Rate
I've read in various threads here and in other forums that the refresh rate advertised on TVs (on my case 600Hz) isn't "real" but CPU generated, and it sometimes makes movies seem blurry, is that true, if yes how much will it affect my experience?

Displayed Text
A friend of mine has his PC at a 40" TV and the text is blocky and not with white borders at time, often unreadable unless on very short distance, is this because of his TV, or a common "PC plugged at TV" issue?

Type
Plasma LCD LED is better?

Downsampling/Other resolutions
Although it's not really essential, will I be able to downsample with custom created resolutions on the TV as I do now on some games i.e. Dark Souls 2? Because I read that TVs only "read" their own 1080/720/480 resolutions and not the ones given by the GPU. Also if a game is very demanding and I lower the resolution at let's say 1600x900 would the TV be able to display it?

Also is there anything else I should keep in mind?
Thanks in advance for any answers, and sorry for any typos or bad English :)

Bo$$

Lab Extraordinaire
System Name Desktop | Server
Processor Intel i7 2700k @ 4.6GHZ | AMD 5350 @ 2500MHZ
Motherboard Asus P7Z77-V Pro | Asus AM1I-A
Cooling Corsair H60v2 | Stock Air
Memory Crucial Ballistix 2x8GB CL8 1600MHZ | Corsair Vengence 2x4GB CL9 1600MHZ
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 6GB | PNY GTX 750Ti
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250GB + 4TB WD Red | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB
Display(s) Samsung S27D390H + Asus VE276Q | Headless
Case Fractal Design R5 | CM Elite 110
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1 w/Otone Stilo 5.1 and Creative Fatal1ty headset
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 850 G2| Corsair CX430M
Mouse Razer Imperator 2012
Keyboard Corsair K90
Software Windows 7 SP1 X64 | Ubuntu 16.04LTS
The Input lag and Ghosting on plasmas are pretty fucking high, I wouldn't go for anything like that, stick to a good IPS panel or if you are strapped for cash a decent TN panel

Is there any way to "test" somehow the input lag if I go to the shop with my laptop?

Bo$$

Lab Extraordinaire
System Name Desktop | Server
Processor Intel i7 2700k @ 4.6GHZ | AMD 5350 @ 2500MHZ
Motherboard Asus P7Z77-V Pro | Asus AM1I-A
Cooling Corsair H60v2 | Stock Air
Memory Crucial Ballistix 2x8GB CL8 1600MHZ | Corsair Vengence 2x4GB CL9 1600MHZ
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 6GB | PNY GTX 750Ti
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250GB + 4TB WD Red | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB
Display(s) Samsung S27D390H + Asus VE276Q | Headless
Case Fractal Design R5 | CM Elite 110
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1 w/Otone Stilo 5.1 and Creative Fatal1ty headset
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 850 G2| Corsair CX430M
Mouse Razer Imperator 2012
Keyboard Corsair K90
Software Windows 7 SP1 X64 | Ubuntu 16.04LTS
http://tft.vanity.dk

This should help you out....

Ghosting should be apparently in any dark scene. If you move some white windows on a black background you should be able to see it

What about this? It has an IPS panel

Also thanks for the useful link!

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Motherboard AsRock B650 HDVM.2
Cooling CPU : Corsair Hydro XC7 }{ GPU: EK FC 1080 via Magicool 360 III PRO > Photon 170 (D5)
Memory 32GB Gskill Flare X5
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 TI
Storage Samsung 9series NVM 2TB and Rust
Display(s) Predator X34P/Tempest X270OC @ 120hz / LG W3000h
Case Fractal Define S [Antec Skeleton hanging in hall of fame]
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Xense with AKG K612 cans on Monacor SA-100
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores FFXIV ARR Benchmark 12,883 on i7 2600k 15,098 on AM5 7600x
The Input lag and Ghosting on plasmas are pretty fucking high, I wouldn't go for anything like that, stick to a good IPS panel or if you are strapped for cash a decent TN panel
I think they are certainly better these days but there's always that concern. Plasmas are the best for blacks though, and I suspect always will be - great technology, just has some limitations.