• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microsoft: "We Definitely Haven't Told Our Full Story About Gaming On Windows"

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
PC gaming is far from dieing.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/...now-brings-in-more-money-than-console-gaming/

There's a lot of money to be made in PC gaming. Recently League of Legends reported almost one billion dollars in micro transactions this year alone.

LOL..um, I was being somewhat sarcastic. I'm on record here much over the years talking about how strong PC gaming is. I was just trying to point out that so many sources have pronounced us dead, and Microsoft has treated us as if there are only a few of us, yet now Ryse comes to us to help them turn a profit on their game....which if we mattered so little, we wouldn't be able to do.

I should have laid out the premise of my thought a little clearer the first time. But hey, at least I knoew in my own head what I meant! :D

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
LOL..um, I was being somewhat sarcastic. I'm on record here much over the years talking about how strong PC gaming is. I was just trying to point out that so many sources have pronounced us dead, and Microsoft has treated us as if there are only a few of us, yet now Ryse comes to us to help them turn a profit on their game....which if we mattered so little, we wouldn't be able to do.

I should have laid out the premise of my thought a little clearer the first time. But hey, at least I knoew in my own head what I meant! :D

Yeah, I knew you were being sarcastic. I find it funny too when sources say that PC gaming is dieing when the sales just keep going up year after year.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
Are you saying Azure is a failure because it doesn't work for your specific scenario? Because man that's dumb.

When they tell me it will, insist it will, and I full well knowing I am talking to marketing assholes finally agree to send them exports of some databases for lookup and some other windows interfacing, where if they were to dump the CSV into a database, create a sharepoint server to house and run the interface and install a few IBM applications it would work on a PC, but they insisted all they needed was the CSV, and all we needed was Azure subscriptions for each PC to access the server.....

The number of other features some of which were in beta, that failed was overwhelming.

Imagine a thin client logging onto a cloud server where all your data is safe, whoops, looks like another team changed our trial server disk setup, we will get back to you when we feel we are ready.

Hey, we have a deal with McAfee, we would like to infect install it on your PC's free of charge from a sharepoint server, where after it fucks up, and we have licensing synchronization issues we will leave you high and dry. Fortunately I allowed this on a whole 5 PC's that weren't really "mission critical".

lets talk about keeping all your machines up to date, if you install this software and run it it will send you reports of the machine name that is out of date on patches, antivirus subscriptions, definitions, and is reporting any malfunctions. Excuse the hundreds of emails about normal security events we accidentally sent, we seem to have fixed it, please note this file may slow down your productivity, and may infact randomly choose to run when users are actually trying to get work done, causing the machine or applications to crash, we will send a fix for it when we get around to it, and after we add more features that mean nothing, but keep someone on the marketing team happy.

We are ready with a new backup to cloud service, it takes a snapshot of your systems and uploads it to the cloud where it is secure from hardware failure, you can schedule the runs, and after the first backup its incremental, and we maintain X number of prior backups in case something like a MS update breaks things and you need to downgrade your system. Just like carbonite, except it only kinda works, and there are occasional issues like using UDP transport, where when we try to run it and the internet jitter happens it corrupts the file we were uploading, then as the software detects the uploaded file is different, it downloads that file to replace the one on your PC, possibly rendering it unworking, who needs .dll's anyway?

I did my fair share of "testing" and while many ideas were decent, most lacked good implementation, and participating in weekly or biweekly sessions on the faults and failures never seemed to get any results, and after awhile the few times a year you got a copy of software you weren't supposed to sell, cause I really needed another copy of Vista, Office, or another free month of cloud services, or XX hours of HPCC....... I gave up.

System Name Space Station
Processor Intel 13700K
Motherboard ASRock Z790 PG Riptide
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory Corsair Vengeance 6400 2x16GB @ CL34
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4080
Storage SSDs - Nextorage 4TB, Samsung EVO 970 500GB, Plextor M5Pro 128GB, HDDs - WD Black 6TB, 2x 1TB
Display(s) LG C3 OLED 42"
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V371
Power Supply SeaSonic Vertex 1200w Gold
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Software Windows 11 Pro 23H2
...it should be implied that it will launch on Windows and Xbox on the same day without exception.

Honestly, given what's happened, I don't know why so many gamers want/expect multi plat titles to release simultaneously. Rockstar has proven that you can appease all platform players, not compromise PC graphics, and make plenty of profits with staggered releases.

The fact is the PC platform, esp with graphics intense games, DOES take more development time and money. And it's not just due to higher end hardware or offering more settings. The multitude of configurations obviously takes way more testing and patching.

We've recently seen Ubi say they're pushing for simultaneous releases, and now they're saying Sony and MS are pushing for 30 FPS on all platforms. Push leads to shove on the PC end in the form of crappy, rushed ports. I say stop the madness and have PC players get used to staggered releases.

Sony and MS got us into this mess by launching x86 platforms with not enough exclusives for a lot of players to maintain interest in them. So now they're literally leeching off multi plat titles trying to force a level playing field by enticing big developers into dumbing down PC graphics.

The next gen launch disaster ship has already sailed people. Expecting PC titles to release same day will only make it worse.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
Honestly, given what's happened, I don't know why so many gamers want/expect multi plat titles to release simultaneously. Rockstar has proven that you can appease all platform players, not compromise PC graphics, and make plenty of profits with staggered releases.

The fact is the PC platform, esp with graphics intense games, DOES take more development time and money. And it's not just due to higher end hardware or offering more settings. The multitude of configurations obviously takes way more testing and patching.

The next gen launch disaster ship has already sailed people. Expecting PC titles to release same day will only make it worse.

MS claims to have a software tool that moves code from the Xbone to PC or back with 80% efficency.

Also, Rockstar has no doubt been paid or pushed to get the console versions of GTA5 for the holiday season, to sell consoles and games. The PC version has been in development as long as the game has been out, and if we look at what the modding community can do for free, there is no reason for them not to release it, sell it for the two year old game it is at the price it should be at and let the community have at it.

Unless of course you think Rockstar is amazing at making video editors, and that is what we all need, another video editor, cause there aren't enough for free, or sale.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.

We've recently seen Ubi say they're pushing for simultaneous releases, and now they're saying Sony and MS are pushing for 30 FPS on all platforms. Push leads to shove on the PC end in the form of crappy, rushed ports. I say stop the madness and have PC players get used to staggered releases.

Sony and MS got us into this mess by launching x86 platforms with not enough exclusives for a lot of players to maintain interest in them. So now they're literally leeching off multi plat titles trying to force a level playing field by enticing big developers into dumbing down PC graphics.

The logic is that whatever improvements are made for either platform should improve the opposite platforms release too. Microsoft should hold Windows launches to the same strict standards they do Xbox launches. That translates to no day-zero patches, no rushed patches within a week of launch, and no DLC preferential treatment (Xbox owners for example got cheated on Fable III when Windows got all of the DLCs for free).

Processor Intel 13700K
Storage SSDs - Nextorage 4TB, Samsung EVO 970 500GB, Plextor M5Pro 128GB, HDDs - WD Black 6TB, 2x 1TB
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
@Steevo,
I don't see much sense in factoring in porting efficiency unless you have a case where the platforms are drastically different, like PS4 vs PS3 where TLoU ws ported. Reason being that port time is not the whole story. To even be able to make a PC version capable of using the very best PC hardware, esp 4k, you have to have very high textures in the first place. So it can be said part of that PC development starts at the point of original development pre porting.

Also, porting only refers to translating raw code. It doesn't account for all the settings scripts, control schemes and testing I referred to. There's a WHOLE LOT more that goes into a PC title than the porting itself. And btw, Rockstar has been staggering releases for quite some time. It's nothing new, and it still works well. Nor with their huge budget do they need to be paid off by Sony or MS to release the console versions first. Ubi has recently put it as them "wanting" this or that, but clearly Rockstar are successful enough to call their own shots. I think they just knew it was going to be more profitable for them to stagger, and it has been. Rockstar just have a lot of common sense. Ubi, not so much.

@Ford,
That logic is still somewhat flawed because equating title quality from one platform to another is not at all the same as equating the platforms themselves, and obviously they still have clear differences, despite having similar code now. This reeks of the same devs doing QA on console and PC, and they really need to be individualized efforts.

I mean my GOD, just expecting no more day one patches on PC makes it clear you are lumping the simplicity of a fixed hardware system in with a platform that literally has endless combinations and potential problems.

Where did we get to the point of day one patches being a negative anyway? In this day and age of rushed titles where we often see bugs take months to get fixed, if they're even fixed at all, I would think they would be a huge plus by comparison.

Expecting all PC tiles to launch with no problems is unrealistic, esp if you don't give them proper development time. That usually means staggered releases, considering how they focus first on console QC, since that's where most of the profits are.

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name Home Brewed
Processor i9-7900X and i7-8700K
Motherboard ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme & ASUS Prime Z-370 A
Cooling Corsair 280mm AIO & Thermaltake Water 3.0
Memory 64GB DDR4-3000 GSKill RipJaws-V & 32GB DDR4-3466 GEIL Potenza
Video Card(s) 2X-GTX-1080 SLI & 2 GTX-1070Ti 8GB G1 Gaming in SLI
Storage Both have 2TB HDDs for storage, 480GB SSDs for OS, and 240GB SSDs for Steam Games
Display(s) ACER 28" B286HK 4K & Samsung 32" 1080P
Case NZXT Source 540 & Rosewill Rise Chassis
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair RM1000 & Corsair RM850
Mouse Generic
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Tournament & Corsair K90
Software Win-10 Professional
Benchmark Scores yes
if it weren't for games I would have ditched windows years ago.

Agreed. Games are why I'm still on Windows. Just look at the functionality of many Linux distros,...........

Processor Intel 13700K
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Agreed. Games are why I'm still on Windows. Just look at the functionality of many Linux distros,...........

I think this goes without saying for many. It will be interesting to see if Steam OS eventually changes that, but I get the feeling at best Valve will always be playing a huge catch up game.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2Ă—BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
It be best if they have separate teams deving the games. In the day when I played nfsu on a Dell Xps inspiron gen 1/9100 (9700/9800) i maxed detail settings out and ran smoothly. Xbox was running at its max already and people said the pc version looked better. At that time it told me EA took time to develop the game for pc and then dummed the settings down to that of a gf5200 (could run on low settings) for xbox use. So the game ran at best possible performance on a 5200 but maxed detail on a 9700 while being fun to play, 30fps to me is like what the xb,gc,ps2 ran at. They can do that for those but allow 60-144 Vsync on pc.

System Name BlueKnight
Processor Intel Celeron G1610 @ 2.60GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-H61M-S2PH (rev. 1.0)
Memory 1x 4GB DDR3 @ 1333MHz (Kingston KVR13N9S8/4)
Video Card(s) Onboard
Storage 1x 160GB (Western Digital WD1600AAJS-75M0A0)
Display(s) 1x 20" 1600x900 (PHILIPS 200VW9FBJ/78)
Case ÎĽATX Case (Generic)
Power Supply 300W (Generic)
Software Debian GNU/Linux 8.7 (jessie)
Shame that linux isn't quite the gamers OS.
Maybe because no one is selling it for a high price.

I'm just speculating...

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2Ă—BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Installation of programs/drivers isnt as easy on linux plus no ms apps work on it, few game devs are even writing for it-open gl/cl are needed, good drivers for chipsets and gpus are needed

I disagree that gaming community is more "vibrant" than ever. Community, maybe, but i don't care about community (loner and all), i care about the games. And a chronic lack of racing games and deep complex FPS games like System Shock or Deus Ex is not helping really. I feel really depressed this year knowing there won't be any racing games on PC. Not even anything from NFS franchise. All they did was re-release of Rivals with all DLC's. Boooring. I just hope skipping 1 year means they are working on a kick ass title for NFS. Like NFS Hot Pursuit 2010 where multiplayer was the best in NFS i've ever seen and is still alive even today. It's a shame that Criterion didn't bother with that game. Or the NFS The Run. The race across entire North America was really amazing experience.

But that's that. I miss times when there were so many racing games on PC you couldn't allocate enough time to play them all. And now you're having hard times finding one. And i'm talking fun games, not boring circuit simulations which exist in great numbers.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
The Crew is coming soon. There's a similar title from another studio (forget the name) coming soon as well. Also can't forget Next Car Game.

Dishonored is getting a sequel, Deus Ex is getting a sequel, another Hitman title is in the works. It seems like I'm forgetting several too.

The reason why racing games aren't like they were is because they reached a cross roads: physics, open world, MMO. All three of these things are expensive and the audience for racing games is small. They have to invest a ton of money in a new engine in order to make a game people will pay for but they also have to create something that can move enough units to turn a profit.

NFS has been dead to me since Underground 2.

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 39 / Windows 11 insider
Gosh really... both stupid AMD and Nvidia fix your linux drivers and let Steam reign there...

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
The Crew is coming soon. There's a similar title from another studio (forget the name) coming soon as well. Also can't forget Next Car Game.

Dishonored is getting a sequel, Deus Ex is getting a sequel, another Hitman title is in the works. It seems like I'm forgetting several too.

The reason why racing games aren't like they were is because they reached a cross roads: physics, open world, MMO. All three of these things are expensive and the audience for racing games is small. They have to invest a ton of money in a new engine in order to make a game people will pay for but they also have to create something that can move enough units to turn a profit.

Next Car Game looks funky, but probably won't have much on Project Cars. Sequel to Deus Ex can't be good. 2nd was bad, third was average. Dishonored was a great game, I can only hope they don't mess it up somehow. I also stopped played at Underground 2, mainly because my Original XBOX ONE died while I was playing it.

If they really cared *sniff sniff* they'd make a Freelancer sequel or release a HD version.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
Dishonored is getting a sequel,

Truly?! I hadn't heard that, but it's good news! It's one of the few recent games that I immediately had to go and play a second time. That's how I guage games...are they good enough that I immediately will play again?

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Next Car Game looks funky, but probably won't have much on Project Cars. Sequel to Deus Ex can't be good. 2nd was bad, third was average. Dishonored was a great game, I can only hope they don't mess it up somehow. I also stopped played at Underground 2, mainly because my Original XBOX ONE died while I was playing it.
Deus Ex HR used a Square Enix engine that was wholly unsuitable for the game they were making. Most of their efforts, therefore, went to making the engine work for their kind of game. Case in point: the engine was almost completely devoid of physics processing. During the prologue in the game where people went flying off the second floor in the lab took them a long time to make that play out in a reasonable fashion. I have no doubt the next Deus Ex game will be hugely improved because most of the engine hurdles have been overcome.

I think all of the Deus Ex games are good to very good. The only exception is Deus Ex The Fall because they didn't put enough effort into the controls when porting it to Windows. I'd call that one average because the story makes up for it.

If they really cared *sniff sniff* they'd make a Freelancer sequel or release a HD version.
What is Star Citizen? Yeah, yeah, it's not Microsoft but that's kind of the jist of this thread. Microsoft doesn't give a flying pig about Windows gaming. The only exception to this rule is DirectX and I think that is only because it stems from the same group of geniuses that are responsible for Visual Studio. The Xbox division doesn't have direct control over the technology.

Truly?! I hadn't heard that, but it's good news! It's one of the few recent games that I immediately had to go and play a second time. That's how I guage games...are they good enough that I immediately will play again?
It sold so well they'd be fools to not exploit it. 2016 is the most reliable year I can gather.

Last edited:

The problem is obsession with open world bullshit. Who says it has to be open world to be enjoyable? I don't see any point in open worlds when they are 80% generic roads and 20% of memorable sections. Where circuits, can be memorable on their own. If you ask me what was memorable in NFS Most Wanted 2012 i'd just stare with a dull expression on my face at you. But if you ask me about tracks in NFS3, i'd be talking about them for 2 hours straight. I can actually tell you all the traks names, all the sections of them, hell i can close my eyes and take you through the tracks for a game that i haven't played for like 12 years. It's that memorable and awesome. Country Hometown in autumn colors, wooden covered bridges, small town center, open highway between crop fields, twisted canyon roads carved into orange rocks of Redrock Ridge and Lost Canyon, high tech coastal city Atlantica and Aquatica with sterile white buildings, glass everywhere and loads of water features everywhere, green and rocky twisted roads of Rocky Pass, the other end of Hometown covered in snow through Country Woods or the killer Summit, snowy Rocky Pass with insane elevation changes. That's why i don't want some shitty open worlds because trends demand that. People would change their minds when you'd deliver them proper thematic circuit tracks that would remain in their memory forever. That's why i loved NFS The Run. No open world bullshit, just highly thematic segments of one way roads that were also incredibly memorable. But all companies know to do these days is to make either open worlds or closed real world circuits (liek Suzuka). Which is all so booring unless if you're into for my taste boring grinding of soulless "blank" race tracks. Or the same way how they ruined Burnout series. Burnout 3 was awesome, but the Paradise one was fun for few hours and then i forgot about it. But i did like Split/Second:Velocity which was quite criticized by people, but i loved it because of unique gamestyle and thematic tracks that could be rerouted. And i bloody miss that. Badly. Give me NFS: The Run 2 that goes through entire Europe or something. I'd buy that for sure.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
That's because Most Wanted (2012) was a terrible game; I didn't even bother to finish it. I've beat The Run and didn't find it memorable at all (seems pretty much everyone agrees and it was considered a failure).

I found Most Wanted (2005) the most memorable because it was the first cop chase game that actually got my heart racing. I can still tell you where most of the pursuit breakers are located, what routes are generally the safest to take when wanted, the design of the regions of the map, and the major parts of the plot.

System Name Champ's 1440P Rig
Processor Intel i7-4770K @ 4.6 GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z97 Extreme6
Cooling Corsair H60
Memory Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600 Mhz 4x4 Blue Ram
Video Card(s) Nvidia 1080 FE
Storage Samsung 840 Evo 256 GB/RAID 0 Western Digital Blue 1 TB HDDs
Display(s) Acer XG270HU
Case Antec P100
Power Supply Corsair CX850M
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard TT eSports Poseidon
Software Windows 10
I thought metro on linux was gonna break things open, but I don't know. I was watching a vid about that and there are only a handful of graphical options. Seens like gaming linux would be a waste of highend components

Processor Intel 13700K
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
I found Most Wanted (2005) the most memorable because it was the first cop chase game that actually got my heart racing. I can still tell you where most of the pursuit breakers are located, what routes are generally the safest to take when wanted, the design of the regions of the map, and the major parts of the plot.
Don't know why you'd say everything NFS since Underground 2 is dead to you then, which came out a year before Most Wanted 2005.

I agree that MW '05 was great, lots of good chases and ways to lose cops, but it had a HUGE flaw that I don't recall ever being fixed. One of the Most Fun things about the game was lengthy pursuits, but the longer the pursuit, the bigger the chance the game would crash. After 20 min your chances rose, after 30 they rose significantly.

I had all the pursuit breakers and jumps memorized and had made LOTS of videos of the game. My final one was a lengthy pursuit that involved using all pursuit breakers and jumps. You can't imagine how many tries that took, and it wasn't for my driving or forgetting where things were. It was the crashing to desktop.

I actually enjoyed The Run though. The on foot and mob chase scenes got old, but there was some great racing in it. Too short a campaign though, and once again, a game with technical problems. They never fixed the control mapping resetting.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
My bad. I'd rank them:
1) Most Wanted (2005) - Loved the Rap Sheet--can't believe no title has had it since.
2) Porsche Unleashed (Playstation) - First open world map--cop chase multiplayer.
3) Porsche Unleashed (Windows) - Amazing graphics and detail on cars.
4) Underground 2 - First open world map on Windows.
5) Hot Pursuit 2 (2002) - Best music--after this title came the hip hop.
The rest aren't worth mentioning.

I never had problems with Most Wanted crashing. I had a 30 minute long, $10 million bounty chase too. You could try the large address aware edit to see if that was the problem.

System Name Don't Tell My Wife
Processor i7-13700K
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix Z690-F Gaming WiFi 6E
Cooling ASUS ROG Strix LC II 240 + Four 120mm Noctua's
Memory 32GB Vengeance DDR5 5600
Video Card(s) RTX 3080Ti
Storage (3) M.2 SSD's
Display(s) Phillips 144Hz 1Ms + Gigabyte 34" ultrawide
Case Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh
Audio Device(s) Onboard Sound
Power Supply Corsair 850w Modular
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard Steelseries MERC - best kbd EVER!
Software Win 10 Pro
Now that I'm a FORMER Microsoft Store employee I can say this to the world: MS does not care about PC Gamers. My store had a 'dedicated' section for PC gamers, a 4x4 section with 5 games, a mouse, headset, and a new Razer Blade.
Pretty sad really. When I brought up to my bosses how popular PC Gaming is, they just laughed. That section was gone within weeks because "it wan't selling well". That's what happens when you shove this little section next to Go Pro cameras and Fitbit accessories.

Microsoft does not care about PC Gamers.
Microsoft Store does not care about PC Gamers.

Processor Intel 13700K
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
^Yep, MS are the GameStop of OS corporations, same mentality. If it's not console, it can't be good.

How can it be if they don't want big developers to even allow PC titles to look any better than console ones? I translate this thread topic as "We definitely haven't told the whole truth about the damage we've done to PC gaming".

BTW Ford, don't know if I'll get around to playing MW '05 again, but can you detail the use of that "large address aware edit" please? I don't recall using such a thing.

I bought the game in '04 though and played it on a P4, X800XT rig, so I wasn't even using spec that caused problems, like the issues it had with dual cores. I also played it a long time and the 1.3 patch that was supposed to fix a lot of bugs came out well within that time, so I know I tried it.

I DO recall CTDs on long pursuits was a common complaint on the official MW forum though, and I don't recall seeing this edit you refer to. Nor have I seen it on any guides like TweakGuides or PCGamingWiki.

My P4 did have HT though, and I just read that can cause problems with the game. I don't recall if I ever tried disabling it, or if I even used it at all.

Last edited by a moderator: