• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

solar roadways

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
yea, in 1 country while the rest of the world the banks didn't pay back squat....

you really do think dark matter energy sources are the future...tell me again how much anti matter we have been able to produce.

Gaslighting. Red Herring. Circular reasoning.

You suffer or, excel at any and all of these at any given time.

The fact of the matter is solar has issues that have no reasonable answer,

1) Manufacturing inputs.
1a) Many times solar seems cheaper and less expensive as the raw material and labor costs are outsourced to other countries where pollution laws, labor laws, and ethics are ignored. http://www.forbes.com/sites/william...the-sun-how-much-do-solar-panels-really-cost/ http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/03/08/AR2008030802595.html
1b) the lifecycle of solar cells at 20 years, at best 10 years for power conversion hardware isn't figured by many, instead they merely look at the FEEL its doing good, and it didn't cost that much, which brings me to.
1c) Subsidized renewables, when a large percentage of the cost is subsidized by tax dollars you are still paying the true cost by force.

2) Power storage.
2a) Power from solar when light doesn't reach the panels due to things like night, seasons, clouds, snow, dirt.....
2b) Lithium Ion batteries, with a finite charge cycle, high cost, and dangerous mixture of compounds, many other highly inefficient types of storage are just as dangerous, and would require additiopanl huge infrastructure costs and upkeep.

3) Power use
3a) As shown the LED's will use more power in 24 hours under typical use than the panels can provide. So right there we have a failure.
3b) The math to heat the panels as shown in the above video (380Wh), take your typical 1200 Watt hair dryer, and go try to melt 3 square meters of snow and ice on tarmac when its is 20F, and also when it is -20F, now melt another square meter as the lights need to run, with the hair dryer off.

I want to be able to fly like a bird, and always thought it would be cool, but unlike these idiots I haven't ever tried to scam people out of money by making up a stupid idea and applying for grants and asking for handouts to finance it with no production or repercussions, only a few youtube videos and a shitty looking website.

i am sure those trees to the north will be a massive problem....

mail man that is great news, not really news that it is coming "soon" but that they do more than just make new ways to kill people.

that guy is my new hero.

it will be guys like him who sets this all off not the corps who will still want all the monies for doing nothing.

"Protons and Lithium" "Heavy Water"

Ahh hah, Deuterium hydrogen bonded to Oxygen, so water with an extra neutron and lithium combined will burn, since Lithium is exothermically reactive with oxygen and hydrogen burns.

Plus a home made neutron counter.

Put it all together with some lead sheeting around a stainless part that was supposedly a electron beam scanner, no containment field for the plasma that hot enough to liquify the concrete floor, and also able to cool it with a plastic tube and computer fan.

He really is amazing. I look forward to his future science breakthroughs.

Last edited:

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
Rather long, but you'll probably get the idea...
I don't like the pleading way he talks but yeah...it doesn't add up, never did, and never will. I can't believe anyone is daft enough to defend and/or promote this idea. It falls flat on its face at step #1 and spontaneously combusts by step #2. The day this works on Earth, cattle will fly and it shall rain urine and bullshit.

Allow me to put this into computer terms, referring to the past. If you can't understand any of this, then I'll assume that understanding is beyond your faculties.

Coal power is Dell.
Wind power is HP.
Solar power is Apple.
Fusion is an ARM based device.

Dell is the old, reliable, and tarnished brand of computers. They aren't the most monetarily efficient, they're not immensely pretty to look at, and they should have been relegated to work stations years ago.
HP is pricey. They're a bit more aesthetically pleasing, but that price tag and the more limited range of products makes people view them as a very good, if expensive, niche product.
Apple is expensive, less powerful than other offerings, and makes people feel good about their purchases. Never mind the huge impact of server farms, lax child labor practices, and the insane cost of the status symbol.
ARM has a way to go before the public accepts it. It isn't as functional as a full PC, but it's rapidly gaining relevance because people are pushing it forward. People are pushing it forward because the old paradigms just aren't sustainable.

If you missed that, let me put it simpler. Solar power is an expensive waste of money. The materials science isn't there, the basic mechanics aren't viable, the monetary investment is insane, and anybody who raises the red flag is being silenced as "polluters and haters" who just love fossil fuels.

Stupid people don't look at the math before they say something. If you need an example I'd suggest the hard-core tree huggers look at the whaling industry. Short term gains were placed above a long term strategy, and we nearly made whales extinct. Strip mining is a thousand times more dangerous, especially when done in the countries we do it in. How do you reconcile these facts with your insistence that solar power is good?

To be vulgar, let's say I want a BJ giving robot. The robot requires $5,000 per year to maintain, while a hooker is approximately $4,000. There's a huge social stigma against paying for a BJ, but the robot is hidden away inside my house and nobody knows. I get to feel good about my social standing, but it costs me an extra $1,000 per year. Is that investment worth it? Am I really a better person because nobody knows that I'm not conforming to the social norm? If you answer yes, you're a fool. This is an objective situation, and objectively there is a right answer. Any other statement isn't being logical, it's being driven to waste resources on a poorer solution. Solar is that robot, and Fusion/Fission are the hooker. Fusion/Fission is a difficult sell to the general populace, but it's what we need for an effective and lasting solution.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
To put fusion in perspective using Lockheed's claims (100MW in a 10' x 6' area), you could pack no less than 3 of those (300MW) on a single freight engine. Your typical American freight engine today only produces ~2-3MW. We're looking at a 100 fold increase in power in the same space at almost zero operational cost. 100 fold! That's fusion compared to diesel. Fusion power literally would change the world; can we say the same for solar roadways?

If we take that Aussie's liberal estimate of 3 MWh/day/km compared to 2400 MWh/day for fusion, we find that we would need 800km of road to equal one of these relatively weak fusion power packs. I suspect that fusion reactor, once mass produced, will cost less than 1 KM of "solar roadway" once mass produced. So, we're in the neighborhood of at least 800 times cheaper and that fusion reactor will run far longer (40 years minimum life expectancy) than the 5-10 years (maximum) projected for that road.

So, I ask you this, marsey99: which a better investment for powering tomorrow?
a) $3 million on the solar roadway project
b) $3 million into fusion power research

$3 million comes from the $2.2 million raised on IndieGoGo + $850,000 given to them via Federal grant.

Last edited:
System Name panda
Processor 6700k
Motherboard sabertooth s
Cooling raystorm block<black ice stealth 240 rad<ek dcc 18w 140 xres
Memory 32gb ripjaw v
Video Card(s) 290x gamer<ntzx g10<antec 920
Storage 950 pro 250gb boot 850 evo pr0n
Display(s) QX2710LED@110hz lg 27ud68p
Case 540 Air
Audio Device(s) nope
Power Supply 750w superflower
Mouse g502
Keyboard shine 3 with grey, black and red caps
Software win 10
Benchmark Scores http://hwbot.org/user/marsey99/
so you think fusion will be working before 2017....time will tell.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
No, Lockheed expects to have a first working prototype in 2017. They expect mass production by 2025.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
People debate your ideas of a hick in a shack with a gun and no formal education with proof and that is all you have to respond with?

System Name panda
Processor 6700k
Motherboard sabertooth s
Cooling raystorm block<black ice stealth 240 rad<ek dcc 18w 140 xres
Memory 32gb ripjaw v
Video Card(s) 290x gamer<ntzx g10<antec 920
Storage 950 pro 250gb boot 850 evo pr0n
Display(s) QX2710LED@110hz lg 27ud68p
Case 540 Air
Audio Device(s) nope
Power Supply 750w superflower
Mouse g502
Keyboard shine 3 with grey, black and red caps
Software win 10
Benchmark Scores http://hwbot.org/user/marsey99/
you missed the point by so much debate is maybe the wrong word.

how can improving something which is everywhere, something which would of be of benefit to all concerned be a bad thing?

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Because solar is a function of surface area and surface area is valuable. There is a finite limit to how much it can be "improved" and even using the best case scenario in terms of efficiency, solar is still altogether disappointing. We're better off erecting greenhouses and growing food in that space. The cost is substantially lower and the return on investment is substantially higher.

Last edited:
System Name ---
Processor FX 8350 @ 4.00 Ghz with 1.28v
Motherboard Gigabyte 990FX-UD3 v4.0, Hacked Bios F4.x
Cooling Silenx 4 pipe Tower cooler + 2 x Cougar 120mm fan, 3 x 120mm, 1 x 200 mm Red LED fan
Memory Kingston HyperX DDR3 1866 16GB + Patriot Memory DDR3 1866 16GB
Video Card(s) Asus R9 290 OC @ GPU - 1050, MEM - 1300
Storage Inland 256GB PCIe NVMe SSD for OS, WDC Black - 2TB + 1TB Storage, Inland 480GB SSD - Games
Display(s) 3 x 1080P LCDs - Acer 25" + Acer 23" + HP 23"
Case AeroCool XPredator X3
Audio Device(s) Built-in Realtek
Power Supply Corsair HX1000 Modular
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
can't believe this thread I started is still alive!!

Best transportation for the future is teleporting!! Star Trek :rockout::peace:

you missed the point by so much debate is maybe the wrong word.

how can improving something which is everywhere, something which would of be of benefit to all concerned be a bad thing?

By your logic, let's consider a few things.

Right now, to nearest source of a combustible material is how far away from you?
How much radiation are you being exposed to right now?
How many water falls are within a ten minute drive?
What is the intensity of light, on average, where you are standing?

Logically, we should still be burning crap. The source of combustible materials is very near to you, and burning everything could easily generate a thermal differential. After we burnt everything combustible, we'd have natural radiation. Soil, building materials, and even non optical spectrum radiation makes solar exposure a sad joke. Depending upon where you are; solar, wind, and hydro-electric are the next most common sources of energy in close proximity.

Bad logic leads to flawed solutions. Solar roads are a good intention, leading to a flawed assumption of "green" technology. Realistically, they are a boondoggle. Arguing anything else is either arguing against the facts, or without reason.

If you want a heat tower, with focusing mirrors, then solar makes sense. Solar panels are a huge mess, that nobody wants to speak out against because critics slander anyone who applies logic to the debate. If you want to continue arguing, please come up with facts to support yourself. Once you find them, I'll happily have a discussion. Otherwise, you're running on feeling rather than fact. Nothing good comes from that.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
By your logic, let's consider a few things.

Right now, to nearest source of a combustible material is how far away from you?
How much radiation are you being exposed to right now?
How many water falls are within a ten minute drive?
What is the intensity of light, on average, where you are standing?

Logically, we should still be burning crap. The source of combustible materials is very near to you, and burning everything could easily generate a thermal differential. After we burnt everything combustible, we'd have natural radiation. Soil, building materials, and even non optical spectrum radiation makes solar exposure a sad joke. Depending upon where you are; solar, wind, and hydro-electric are the next most common sources of energy in close proximity.

Bad logic leads to flawed solutions. Solar roads are a good intention, leading to a flawed assumption of "green" technology. Realistically, they are a boondoggle. Arguing anything else is either arguing against the facts, or without reason.

If you want a heat tower, with focusing mirrors, then solar makes sense. Solar panels are a huge mess, that nobody wants to speak out against because critics slander anyone who applies logic to the debate. If you want to continue arguing, please come up with facts to support yourself. Once you find them, I'll happily have a discussion. Otherwise, you're running on feeling rather than fact. Nothing good comes from that.

I am all for solar towers, focused collection, heat recovery, heat rejection from buildings. In sunny areas, like Arizona, Texas, California, and many other places.
I think we all agree that solar has its place, I would prefer the use of something like a heat tower/focused collection as it kills all the birds with one stone.
Can turn turbines to create AC power, no conversion losses.
Can work after the sun goes down by storing heat energy, no batteries.
Uses and reuses common materials we have the infrastructure to support, no need waste energy building new when whats existing here works.
Highly efficient, captures more of the solar output, and with improvements like using TEG along with Stirling engines, and high temperature photovoltaics, many sunny areas may be able to use solar to meet peak demand.

Even with all that being said, we need a sustainable, reliable, energy source that has as low of emissions as possible to get us there, and for the large portion of the US, and world that isn't always sunny and hot. Like Nuclear fission.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Turning roads green with solar power

Netherlands installed a solar bike path. Paraphrasing: "it produces enough power in 6 months to power a house for a year." I had to double take, then laugh. That's pathetic.

France wants to pay for 1 km of solar roadway and hopes it will spur private investment to fund 1000 km of roadway "over the next five years." Thing is, it's 6 EUD per watt to install and produces substantially less power than traditional panels. I'm extremely skeptical that they'll get investment. Maybe a few kilometers because of political friends of friends but no more beyond that because it just doesn't make financial sense.

Has solar power panels been improved yet? I mean the lifespan of the panels.

As far as I know, it has lifespan of about a decade, give or take few years.

System Name Box of Distraction
Processor Ryzen 7 1800X
Motherboard Crosshair VI Hero
Cooling Custom watercooling
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 2x8GB @ 3466MHz CL14 1T
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080Ti FE. WC'd & TDP limit increased to 360W.
Storage Samsung 960 Evo 500GB & WD Black 2TB storage drive.
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" 1440P 165hz Gsync
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M
Audio Device(s) Phillips Fidelio X2 headphones / basic Bose speakers
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750W G3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 6.0 (mx red switches)
Software Win 10 & Linux Mint
Benchmark Scores https://hwbot.org/user/infrared
It's all a big waste of money and resources, it's not going to be efficient enough to feed any power into the grid.

Check out this video by an excellent electronics engineer in australia (Dave, from EEVBlog). He's got 3 or 4 videos on the topic.

Personally I think nuclear fusion is the way of the future, it'll be very interesting to see how the various projects progress. ITER especially, and the Wendelstein 7-X should be interesting. There's a lot of reactors currently being built or tested, unfortunately the media rarely cover any of it.

http://www.world-nuclear.org/inform...d-future-generation/nuclear-fusion-power.aspx

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
There's a lot of reactors currently being built or tested, unfortunately the media rarely cover any of it.
Because they're largely funded by oil and natural gas industries. When watching anything political related, for example, I see a lot of veiled fossil fuel ads. Media doesn't cover other sources of energy because they don't want to lose their sponsors with deep pockets and deeper motivations.

System Name Senile
Processor I7-4790K@4.8 GHz 24/7
Motherboard MSI Z97-G45 Gaming
Cooling Be Quiet Pure Rock Air
Memory 16GB 4x4 G.Skill CAS9 2133 Sniper
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE Vega 64
Storage Samsung EVO 500GB / 8 Different WDs / QNAP TS-253 8GB NAS with 2x10Tb WD Blue
Display(s) 34" LG 34CB88-P 21:9 Curved UltraWide QHD (3440*1440) *FREE_SYNC*
Case Rosewill
Audio Device(s) Onboard + HD HDMI
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB & G610 Orion Red
Software Win 10
It's all a big waste of money and resources, it's not going to be efficient enough to feed any power into the grid.

Check out this video by an excellent electronics engineer in australia (Dave, from EEVBlog). He's got 3 or 4 videos on the topic.

Personally I think nuclear fusion is the way of the future, it'll be very interesting to see how the various projects progress. ITER especially, and the Wendelstein 7-X should be interesting. There's a lot of reactors currently being built or tested, unfortunately the media rarely cover any of it.

http://www.world-nuclear.org/inform...d-future-generation/nuclear-fusion-power.aspx

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/solar-roadways.202415/page-4#post-3191374

System Name Box of Distraction
Processor Ryzen 7 1800X
Motherboard Crosshair VI Hero
Cooling Custom watercooling
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 2x8GB @ 3466MHz CL14 1T
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080Ti FE. WC'd & TDP limit increased to 360W.
Storage Samsung 960 Evo 500GB & WD Black 2TB storage drive.
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" 1440P 165hz Gsync
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M
Audio Device(s) Phillips Fidelio X2 headphones / basic Bose speakers
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750W G3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 6.0 (mx red switches)
Software Win 10 & Linux Mint
Benchmark Scores https://hwbot.org/user/infrared
derp, sorry Sasqui

System Name Senile
Processor I7-4790K@4.8 GHz 24/7
Motherboard MSI Z97-G45 Gaming
Cooling Be Quiet Pure Rock Air
Memory 16GB 4x4 G.Skill CAS9 2133 Sniper
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE Vega 64
Storage Samsung EVO 500GB / 8 Different WDs / QNAP TS-253 8GB NAS with 2x10Tb WD Blue
Display(s) 34" LG 34CB88-P 21:9 Curved UltraWide QHD (3440*1440) *FREE_SYNC*
Case Rosewill
Audio Device(s) Onboard + HD HDMI
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB & G610 Orion Red
Software Win 10
System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.

Fusion is a dead end game, it creates radioactive waste, its a lossy energy solution. Fission until we get it efficient or have the means to make solar (not roads, but roofs) the dream we need.

System Name Computer of Theseus
Processor Intel i9-12900KS: 50x Pcore multi @ 1.18Vcore (target 1.275V -100mv offset)
Motherboard EVGA Z690 Classified
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S, 2xThermalRight TY-143, 4xNoctua NF-A12x25,3xNF-A12x15, 2xAquacomputer Splitty9Active
Memory G-Skill Trident Z5 (32GB) DDR5-6000 C36 F5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5RK
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce 3060 XC Black Gaming 12GB
Storage 1x Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVMe (OS), 2x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB (data 1 and 2), ASUS BW-16D1HT
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF 32" 2560x1440 165Hz Primary, Dell P2017H 19.5" 1600x900 Secondary, Ergotron LX arms.
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Audiotechnica ATR2100X-USB, El Gato Wave XLR Mic Preamp, ATH M50X Headphones, Behringer 302USB Mixer
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Platinum SE 1000W 80+ Platinum White
Mouse Zowie EC3-C
Keyboard Vortex Multix 87 Winter TKL (Gateron G Pro Yellow)
Software Win 10 LTSC 21H2
Zombie thread ftw.

System Name Gaming Desktop
Processor i7 6700k
Motherboard asus rog alpha
Cooling H110i
Memory Corsair Dominator 16gb DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) GTX 1080
Storage EVO 840 500gb, EVO 850 500gb, Perc 710 Raid WD RED 4tbx4
Case Corsair 500r
Power Supply Antec 850
Mouse Logitec G502
Keyboard a cheap dell
Fusion is a dead end game, it creates radioactive waste, its a lossy energy solution. Fission until we get it efficient or have the means to make solar (not roads, but roofs) the dream we need.
you seem to be confused about fusion and fission.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Most countries are crisscrossed with roads already, it makes sense to utilize that resource and attempt to make it work for us and get a return even if marginal.
Of course the returns are going to be greater in warmer climates and pretty pointless in cold climates.

CAPSLOCKSTUCK

Spaced Out Lunar Tick
System Name Party On
Processor Xeon w 3520
Motherboard DFI Lanparty
Cooling Big tower thing
Memory 6 gb Ballistix Tracer
Video Card(s) HD 7970
Case a plank of wood
Audio Device(s) seperate amp and 6 big speakers
Power Supply Corsair
Mouse cheap
Keyboard under going restoration
I think its a daft idea, (i am trying to be polite BTW.)

Processor 2500K @ 4.5GHz 1.28V
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Deluxe
Cooling Corsair A70
Memory 8GB (2x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600 9-9-9-24 1T
Video Card(s) eVGA GTX 470
Storage Crucial m4 128GB + Seagate RAID 1 (1TB x 2)
Display(s) Dell 22" 1680x1050 nothing special
Case Antec 300
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling 750W
Software Windows 7 64bit Pro
It'd be cheaper to just build them above the roadway. Then you wouldn't have the issue of the roadway being as slippery as ice when it gets wet, wouldn't have to worry about a rock in a vehicle's tire scratching or chipping the protective surface, wouldn't have to worry about stress fractures from heavy trucks, ...... etc. etc. Sometimes just because you can isn't a good enough reason.