• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Big Swing in Market Share From AMD to NVIDIA: JPR

System Name SnowFire / The Reinforcer
Processor i7 10700K 5.1ghz (24/7) / 2x Xeon E52650v2
Motherboard Asus Strix Z490 / Dell Dual Socket (R720)
Cooling RX 360mm + 140mm Custom Loop / Dell Stock
Memory Corsair RGB 16gb DDR4 3000 CL 16 / DDR3 128gb 16 x 8gb
Video Card(s) GTX Titan XP (2025mhz) / Asus GTX 950 (No Power Connector)
Storage Samsung 970 1tb NVME and 2tb HDD x4 RAID 5 / 300gb x8 RAID 5
Display(s) Acer XG270HU, Samsung G7 Odyssey (1440p 240hz)
Case Thermaltake Cube / Dell Poweredge R720 Rack Mount Case
Audio Device(s) Realtec ALC1150 (On board)
Power Supply Rosewill Lightning 1300Watt / Dell Stock 750 / Brick
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Logitech G19S
Software Windows 11 Pro / Windows Server 2016
I feel bad for AMD. I wish they would just pull two vicious rabbits out of their hat. A CPU that can compete with intel's i7's, and a GPU that can compete with nVidia's Maxwell cards.
Well I think the CPU part is to farfetched at the moment because they have already decided how they are going to focus for the time being until they win back enough OEMS to gain some serious ground.

As for the GPU's, its all going to depend on the node it comes out on and the overall performance. The waiting game they played instead of just sticking to the basics like Nvidia did could pay off heavily if the 390X is power efficient enough and out performs the 980 using a 20nm die and the 3D stacked memory (HBM) then they will have stuck a hard foot in the ground on the GPU segment of once again. However if they stick to the 28nm and even with the stacked memory only perform on par or around the 980 even if the power consumption for all intensive purposes is about the same then they have made a huge error in waiting this long.

System Name Project Aurorus
Processor Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard MSI Gaming 7
Cooling Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 8GB GSkill Ripjaw X
Video Card(s) Asus Strix 970
Storage Kingston SSDNow V300 120 GB, WD Blue 1 TB
Display(s) 3x VS 239H-P 23"
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl Window
Power Supply Seasonic SS-760XP 760W Platinum
Software Windoge 7
Well I think the CPU part is to farfetched at the moment because they have already decided how they are going to focus for the time being until they win back enough OEMS to gain some serious ground.
I know, it's just wishful thinking, but if they can develop an equivalent to hyper-threading and release it with a small price premium and release it for an updated FX processor.
As for the GPU's, its all going to depend on the node it comes out on and the overall performance. The waiting game they played instead of just sticking to the basics like Nvidia did could pay off heavily if the 390X is power efficient enough and out performs the 980 using a 20nm die and the 3D stacked memory (HBM) then they will have stuck a hard foot in the ground on the GPU segment of once again. However if they stick to the 28nm and even with the stacked memory only perform on par or around the 980 even if the power consumption for all intensive purposes is about the same then they have made a huge error in waiting this long.
I hope the rumors are true. 4096 stream processors on a 20nm node... dayummm

de.das.dude

Pro Indian Modder
System Name Monke | Work Thinkpad| Old Monke
Processor Ryzen 5600X | Ryzen 5500U | FX8320
Motherboard ASRock B550 Extreme4 | ? | Asrock 990FX Extreme 4
Cooling 240mm Rad | Not needed | hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 Corsair RGB | 16 GB DDR4 3600 | 16GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX6700XT 12GB | Vega 8 | Sapphire Pulse RX580 8GB
Storage Samsung 980 nvme (Primary) | some samsung SSD
Display(s) Dell 2723DS | Some 14" 1080p 98%sRGB IPS | Dell 2240L
Case Ant Esports Tempered case | Thinkpad | Antec
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 | Jabra corpo stuff
Power Supply Corsair RM750e | not needed | Corsair GS 600
Mouse Logitech G400 | nipple
Keyboard Logitech G213 | stock kb is awesome | Logitech K230
VR HMD ;_;
Software Windows 10 Professional x3
Benchmark Scores There are no marks on my bench
not helped by the fact ubisoft blamed amd for their own shortcomings.

System Name NEW
Processor Intel 4770 non-K
Motherboard Gigabyte H81M-DS2V
Cooling CM Hyper 212 plus
Memory 16gb Muskin
Video Card(s) XFX 380X 4gb
Storage Sandisk 120gb plus WD blue 1tb
Display(s) AOC 23.5 LED bl
Case XIGMATEK
Audio Device(s) motherboard
Power Supply Cooler Master 500
Its not the end but it could be a means to an end of AMDs CPU and discrete GPUs. Making APUs their main production. Hell the Xbox One and the PS4 together have sold 20 million units..... thats ALOT..not to mention the Wii U.

With that said I have faith that AMD will bring something to the fight before its over. Will they beat Intel...no and never will again IMO. Will they give nVidia a hard time....HELL YEAH!!!!!!!!!

System Name Thought I'd be done with this by now
Processor i7 11700k 8/16
Motherboard MSI Z590 Pro Wifi
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4, 9x aigo AR12
Memory 32GB GSkill TridentZ Neo DDR4-4000 CL18-22-22-42
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 2x Geforce RTX 3070
Storage 1TB MX300 M.2 OS + Games, + cloud mostly
Display(s) Samsung 40" 4k (TV)
Case Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic EVO Black
Audio Device(s) onboard HD -> Yamaha 5.1
Power Supply EVGA 850 GQ
Mouse Logitech wireless
Keyboard same
VR HMD nah
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores no one cares anymore lols

@btarunr either the above is fail or your article is fail.

Quarter to quarter AMD is up 16.5% and Nvidia is up 13.6% so current sales show AMD outpacing Nvidia. The numbers you posted show up in the year over year results meaning that either AMD did awesome last year or they really screwed up the beginning of this year because this past quarter shows growth.
I also really love the fact only 1 other person commented on the graph and the rest went straight into fanboyism without reading the numbers at all.

The graph does show a major discrepancy with the market share this quarter adding up to more than 100%. My guess is that the intel numbers are off as it's really hard to see AMD and NV splitting a measly 11.47% of the market share together.

System Name 3 desktop systems: Gaming / Internet / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5 5500 / Ryzen 5 4600G / FX 6300 (12 years latter got to see how bad Bulldozer is)
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (1) / MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (2) / Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Cooling Νoctua U12S / Segotep T4 / Snowman M-T6
Memory 16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS 3600 / 16GB G.Skill Aegis 3200 / 16GB Kingston 2400MHz (DDR3)
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 6600 + GT 710 (PhysX)/ Vega 7 integrated / Radeon RX 580
Storage NVMes, NVMes everywhere / NVMes, more NVMes / Various storage, SATA SSD mostly
Display(s) Philips 43PUS8857/12 UHD TV (120Hz, HDR, FreeSync Premium) ---- 19'' HP monitor + BlitzWolf BW-V5
Case Sharkoon Rebel 12 / Sharkoon Rebel 9 / Xigmatek Midguard
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Chieftec 850W / Silver Power 400W / Sharkoon 650W
Mouse CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Keyboard CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 / Windows 7
This is the correct one.

This was expected since AMD has no product to counter NVIDIA's new offerings. It'll change when tables turn and if new Radeon will be a better product than current GeForce.

Last edited:
System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
not helped by the fact ubisoft blamed amd for their own shortcomings.

At this point if anyone believes Ubisoft about their pile of shit game they are too stupid to play it.
Considering all current generation consoles use AMD, and no other developer has expressed anything negative about them, and they are essentially PC hardware. Ubisoft needs to have their execs pulled out and shot. Considering the PS4 runs 1080 on many other games and has a very high spec for a console, their shit game is just an attempt to jumpstart a still born crack baby for one more fund raiser.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
I'm not sure those numbers accurately give the whole picture. Is this just in dedicated GPU's? Because if so OF COURSE they slipped. They are to busy making console chips. Also GPU's are only a section of AMD. They make CPU's also ya know? This report is somewhat slanted. I mean even in the same paragraph....

"AMD's shipments of desktop heterogeneous GPU/CPUs, i.e., APUs increased 10.5%". They are not focused on the dedicated GPU market right now.

System Name NEW
Processor Intel 4770 non-K
Motherboard Gigabyte H81M-DS2V
Cooling CM Hyper 212 plus
Memory 16gb Muskin
Video Card(s) XFX 380X 4gb
Storage Sandisk 120gb plus WD blue 1tb
Display(s) AOC 23.5 LED bl
Case XIGMATEK
Audio Device(s) motherboard
Power Supply Cooler Master 500
Why people still count Intel into the bunch. They count every single GPU component as market share even though tons of their chips never ever display a single frame of image on any screen. But they always come with their CPU's whether you like it or not.

System Name MoneySink
Processor 2600K @ 4.8
Motherboard P8Z77-V
Cooling AC NexXxos XT45 360, RayStorm, D5T+XSPC tank, Tygon R-3603, Bitspower
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600C8
Video Card(s) GTX 780 SLI (EVGA SC ACX + Giga GHz Ed.)
Storage Kingston HyperX SSD (128) OS, WD RE4 (1TB), RE2 (1TB), Cav. Black (2 x 500GB), Red (4TB)
Display(s) Achieva Shimian QH270-IPSMS (2560x1440) S-IPS
Case NZXT Switch 810
Audio Device(s) onboard Realtek yawn edition
Power Supply Seasonic X-1050
Software Win8.1 Pro
Benchmark Scores 3.5 litres of Pale Ale in 18 minutes.
You forgot the most important parameter. If the rumors for 4 HBM chips that will give a 4096bit data bus and 640GB/sec bandwidth are true, then both gpus and APUs might see a good performance improvement before 2016 when Zen will comes.
As I said on another thread, HBM gives a wide I/O and high bandwidth. HBM is also limited to 4GB (4 x 1GB stacks), so there are a few things to consider:
1. Wider I/O means more contacts and traces. Higher cost (so you're only looking at the flagship boards anyway).
2. 4GB framebuffer isn't a good marketing point when even mainstream cards will likely sport 4GB as standard, and 8GB cards at the high end are being introduced. IIRC, the GM200 articles allude to 12GB vRAM. Assuming AMD see it the same way, they may have to adopt a tiered memory structure (HBM + GDDR5) which will be more complex (differing latencies, circuitry/traces), more expensive, and wipe out any power saving claimed by HBM alone.
Just how popular are high end cards anyway, if GTX 9xx is behind this? AFAIK most action (fiscally speaking) happens in the low-mid range, and there AMD are excellent.
Doesn't really matter at this stage. The game is more about mind share than market share. Once upon a time, those of us around at the height of ATi's powers saw a company that footed it with the best - at one stage the company had the lions share of OEM contracts and annihilated S3, Matrox, 3dfx, and Nvidia in sales revenue. It was/is a hardware market driven by features and marketing because it markets directly to the end user. Processors on the other hand began as companies selling to the engineers of other companies - marketing was something you did when the product couldn't compete. AMD was founded by a salesman (and a group of analog logic circuit designers IIRC) when marketing wasn't really a thing in CPUs - by the time it was, Sanders had moved on and engineers held the reins at the company. It isn't a complete coincidence that as soon as AMD took over ATi the graphics side started to dip. All the work the company had put into a strong relationship with the gaming community went for nought - starting and stopping the Get in the Game program just as TWIMTBP was gaining traction for example. When your star is being eclipsed (by Nvidia), the response should have been a full court press, but AMD withdrew and began revelling in it's "underdog" status after R600. When you lose the customer base the OEM's soon follow since they pander to what is a saleable and easily recognizable series of brands, and without the OEMs onside a company becomes severely handicapped. The DIY discrete market is miniscule, but the OEMs control virtually all PC desktop sales, and all mobile sales. Then it becomes a vicious circle, OEMs highlight the brand of the company in ascendance both in advertising and model lines and the other companies are marginalized, thus slipping out of the consumers field of view.
Why people still count Intel into the bunch. They count every single GPU component as market share even though tons of their chips never ever display a single frame of image on any screen. But they always come with their CPU's whether you like it or not.
AMD are in the same basket. MANY systems (especially mobile) rely upon integrated graphics. If the iGP is competent enough to do the job (and a lot of people either don't game or play garbage flash based "games") then they have no need of a discrete solution.
Count AMD's blessings. I'm pretty sure when Mercury and JPR release the discrete graphics numbers next week the figures will look even more dismal given that it's a two horse race for a smaller market. It's also pretty safe to assume that the ASP (average selling prices) of the two companies are heading in opposite directions coming into the busiest sales period of the year.
The original chart in the JPR press release had the flawed numbers. I checked a few sites and JPR itself just after the article was published and all the sites carried the same borked chart numbers - which was, along with the wording, repeated verbatim from JPR's PR.

Last edited:
System Name Thought I'd be done with this by now
Processor i7 11700k 8/16
Motherboard MSI Z590 Pro Wifi
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4, 9x aigo AR12
Memory 32GB GSkill TridentZ Neo DDR4-4000 CL18-22-22-42
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 2x Geforce RTX 3070
Storage 1TB MX300 M.2 OS + Games, + cloud mostly
Display(s) Samsung 40" 4k (TV)
Case Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic EVO Black
Audio Device(s) onboard HD -> Yamaha 5.1
Power Supply EVGA 850 GQ
Mouse Logitech wireless
Keyboard same
VR HMD nah
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores no one cares anymore lols
This is the correct one.

If correct that still shows a completely different picture than was portrayed in @btarunr 's article.

That shows both neck and neck after AMD's dominance from last years R9/7/5 series launch. This quarter shows a slight uptick for NV but .5% is hardly a dominant change, especially when intel nearly quadrupled that growth at 1.9%. Overall this shows discreet sales down against on-board/on-chip solutions, especially considering the AMD APU's are included in their market share.

My Guess is the lack of new mid and lowend options from NV make the growth marginal as few people actually buy prebuilts or solo cards of highend chips. As a full range of 9 series NV's come out we could see better growth Q3 and into Q4 (barring a full series AMD release during that time) Overall AMD's in a tock year so it's not suprising NV is making gains during their tick. Just surprising how small those gains are. NV couldn't even match last years tock numbers with this tick while AMD not being able to match a tick with a tock shouldn't shock anyone. (especially being that said tock has what the R9 285 and little else)

overall AMD is only down 2.4% since the launch of the 980 and 970 and NV is only up .5% during that same time intel did the most damage. Year over year BOTH AMD and NV are down. Discreet sales overall are taking a hit. This is not surprising at all considering where pc gaming has been going.

System Name MoneySink
Processor 2600K @ 4.8
Motherboard P8Z77-V
Cooling AC NexXxos XT45 360, RayStorm, D5T+XSPC tank, Tygon R-3603, Bitspower
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600C8
Video Card(s) GTX 780 SLI (EVGA SC ACX + Giga GHz Ed.)
Storage Kingston HyperX SSD (128) OS, WD RE4 (1TB), RE2 (1TB), Cav. Black (2 x 500GB), Red (4TB)
Display(s) Achieva Shimian QH270-IPSMS (2560x1440) S-IPS
Case NZXT Switch 810
Audio Device(s) onboard Realtek yawn edition
Power Supply Seasonic X-1050
Software Win8.1 Pro
Benchmark Scores 3.5 litres of Pale Ale in 18 minutes.
If correct that still shows a completely different picture than was portrayed in @btarunr 's article.
As I stated immediately above. JPR's press release chart was incorrect. It has since been updated. bta simply reprinted the original information at hand. The original (bad) chart was reprinted everywhere (this from G3D for example)

de.das.dude

Pro Indian Modder
System Name Monke | Work Thinkpad| Old Monke
Processor Ryzen 5600X | Ryzen 5500U | FX8320
Motherboard ASRock B550 Extreme4 | ? | Asrock 990FX Extreme 4
Cooling 240mm Rad | Not needed | hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 Corsair RGB | 16 GB DDR4 3600 | 16GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX6700XT 12GB | Vega 8 | Sapphire Pulse RX580 8GB
Storage Samsung 980 nvme (Primary) | some samsung SSD
Display(s) Dell 2723DS | Some 14" 1080p 98%sRGB IPS | Dell 2240L
Case Ant Esports Tempered case | Thinkpad | Antec
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 | Jabra corpo stuff
Power Supply Corsair RM750e | not needed | Corsair GS 600
Mouse Logitech G400 | nipple
Keyboard Logitech G213 | stock kb is awesome | Logitech K230
VR HMD ;_;
Software Windows 10 Professional x3
Benchmark Scores There are no marks on my bench
At this point if anyone believes Ubisoft about their pile of shit game they are too stupid to play it.
Considering all current generation consoles use AMD, and no other developer has expressed anything negative about them, and they are essentially PC hardware. Ubisoft needs to have their execs pulled out and shot. Considering the PS4 runs 1080 on many other games and has a very high spec for a console, their shit game is just an attempt to jumpstart a still born crack baby for one more fund raiser.
this is the first place i actually called ubisoft, ubisoft. i replace the soft with a form of excrement.

System Name SnowFire / The Reinforcer
Processor i7 10700K 5.1ghz (24/7) / 2x Xeon E52650v2
Motherboard Asus Strix Z490 / Dell Dual Socket (R720)
Cooling RX 360mm + 140mm Custom Loop / Dell Stock
Memory Corsair RGB 16gb DDR4 3000 CL 16 / DDR3 128gb 16 x 8gb
Video Card(s) GTX Titan XP (2025mhz) / Asus GTX 950 (No Power Connector)
Storage Samsung 970 1tb NVME and 2tb HDD x4 RAID 5 / 300gb x8 RAID 5
Display(s) Acer XG270HU, Samsung G7 Odyssey (1440p 240hz)
Case Thermaltake Cube / Dell Poweredge R720 Rack Mount Case
Audio Device(s) Realtec ALC1150 (On board)
Power Supply Rosewill Lightning 1300Watt / Dell Stock 750 / Brick
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Logitech G19S
Software Windows 11 Pro / Windows Server 2016

That shows both neck and neck after AMD's dominance from last years R9/7/5 series launch. This quarter shows a slight uptick for NV but .5% is hardly a dominant change, especially when intel nearly quadrupled that growth at 1.9%. Overall this shows discreet sales down against on-board/on-chip solutions, especially considering the AMD APU's are included in their market share.

My Guess is the lack of new mid and lowend options from NV make the growth marginal as few people actually buy prebuilts or solo cards of highend chips. As a full range of 9 series NV's come out we could see better growth Q3 and into Q4 (barring a full series AMD release during that time) Overall AMD's in a tock year so it's not suprising NV is making gains during their tick. Just surprising how small those gains are. NV couldn't even match last years tock numbers with this tick while AMD not being able to match a tick with a tock shouldn't shock anyone. (especially being that said tock has what the R9 285 and little else)

overall AMD is only down 2.4% since the launch of the 980 and 970 and NV is only up .5% during that same time intel did the most damage. Year over year BOTH AMD and NV are down. Discreet sales overall are taking a hit. This is not surprising at all considering where pc gaming has been going.
I agree with you there. Personally I do not view all the figures from anything like these as completely accurate because the problem is that depending on what gets counted into the equation can cause the chart to be a completely different story.

A GPU launch my cause a slight spike in sales but generally is not going to shake everything to pieces no matter what it is unless its a complete failure. Even if the cards were amazing in performance, efficiency, etc the cards would sell at the same rate as they do year to year (With slight variations). Normally the biggest changes that would effect this in a substantial way would be something that becomes a flop or does not live up to what a next generation card is which so far has not happened recently enough to make a difference.

Even so we do not influence the market much, it still goes back to OEMs being the reason for things like this which is why when we see changes on these numbers its generally OEMs purchasing for the new generation machines that get the numbers flowing (or similar) more than the community buying the GTX 980 or the 290X for the power house gaming machine.

One thing that gets left out of these reports from companies are the consoles which to me would paint a different picture (As someone else pointed out). Like I said though it depends on what gets counted into these reports as to how they come out.

Last edited:
AMD may have their own troubles, but they put their products into very compelling packages, ie. AM1 and APUs.

nVidia has a massive advantage with Maxwell that will likely take AMD a few generations to catch up.

System Name Desktop | Laptop
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Intel Core i7 7700HQ
Motherboard MAG X570S Torpedo Max| Neptune KLS HM175
Cooling Corsair H100x | Twin fan, fin stack & heat pipes
Memory 32GB G.Skill F4-3600C16-8GVK @ 3600MHz / 16-16-16-36-1T | 16GB DDR4 @ 2400MHz / 17-17-17-39-2T
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | GTX 1050 Ti 4GB
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB + Kingston KC3000 2TB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 970 Evo 500GB
Display(s) 32" Dell G3223Q (2160p @ 144Hz) | 17" IPS 1920x1080P
Case Fractal Meshify 2 Compact | Aspire V Nitro BE
Audio Device(s) ifi Audio ZEN DAC V2 + Focal Radiance / HyperX Solocast
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 1000W | 150W
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate | Logitech MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Razer Huntsman V2 Optical (Linear Red)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
I know, it's just wishful thinking, but if they can develop an equivalent to hyper-threading and release it with a small price premium and release it for an updated FX processor.

If multithreaded optimization is already one of the many factors affecting AMDs architecture performance, I doubt adding an extra layer of handling more threads would help the situation. Perhaps only in very specialized scenarios it would offer any benefit. However, as most of their processors don't so much sip power or run as cool as they could do, adding more hardware to the die will only make it worse.

AMD is currently a second-rate product in both GPU and CPU markets. They need to do something really special to change that image... sooner, rather than later. Whilst I won't be going AMD (their success grew from Intels success; cloning early chips and becoming second-source manufacturer for IBM) anytime soon, mainly due to past experiences of them with CPUs (a long time back, however) and GPUs, I do hope they succeed in both markets, because competition leads to innovation and lower prices.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
They have consistently failed to shrink the die size for performance increases in the last two cards, so engineering dollars went to make a better mud pie, silicon costs are the same.
AMD doesn't have their own fabs. You can blame TSMC for dragging their feet on this one.
They have failed to materialize a CPU that could compete in per clock performance, so have been forced to add more cores, and thus more silicon to get closer, higher cost.
Except the module design reduce the size of two "cores" by, what? 40%? That's more CPU in less space.
Manufacturing hasn't improved at the rate they have needed and planned on, and this may be holding up production of plans for smaller chips, and without the R&D budget to allow for side by side development it halts their production improvement.
...and the fact that they don't own their own fabs anymore. That's a big thing IMHO.
While developers of software were focusing on multithreading, they were only really focusing on 2-4 cores at most and were stuck not wanting to spend the time to go beyond that because most chips were just 2 or 4 cores and still are to this day. Developers were not going to waste time developing for it so while if you include using all the cores on an FX 8350 makes it much stronger than the i7 quad core (with hyper threading 8) you still suffer from the fact that each core in a core to core comparison the Intel is much better which caused all programs that only look to the first 2-4 cores to run way faster and better on which ever had the better first cores (Intel).
Actually, workloads that scale well to 4 cores probably will scale to 8 cores with a minimum of work. The problem comes down to how much of the application can actually be run in parallel and a lot of tasks are single threaded or only utilize a core or two worth of resources because of locking and coordination overhead on top of the simple fact that some workloads can't be made to run in parallel.

In all seriousness, I think AMD CPUs have plenty of umfph. The problem is that they suck down too much electricity to do an okay job. I think the module idea was a good one (for the long term) because it saves on die space but the simple fact is that they'll never make up for the insane power consumption figures.

System Name panda
Processor 6700k
Motherboard sabertooth s
Cooling raystorm block<black ice stealth 240 rad<ek dcc 18w 140 xres
Memory 32gb ripjaw v
Video Card(s) 290x gamer<ntzx g10<antec 920
Storage 950 pro 250gb boot 850 evo pr0n
Display(s) QX2710LED@110hz lg 27ud68p
Case 540 Air
Audio Device(s) nope
Power Supply 750w superflower
Mouse g502
Keyboard shine 3 with grey, black and red caps
Software win 10
Benchmark Scores http://hwbot.org/user/marsey99/

dont go talking sense dude, facts only get in the way of a good debate :rofl:

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
The biggest gain from Intel is the notebook and entry sector, where AMD or Nvidia don't really compete for differing reasons.

AMD is hamstrung by immature processes creating higher power consumption despite good overall performance in CPU and great in GPU, also costing more in silicon due to size.

Nvidia doesn't make a CPU, so then it becomes a complex add in card that doubles up resources either CPU maker already is working on.

System Name System 1
Processor Intel i7-4770K
Motherboard MSI Z97 G45
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3
Video Card(s) Palit Jetstream GTX 780
Storage Samsung 840 Evo SSD x2
Case Corsair 750D
Power Supply Corsair RM850
Benchmark Scores 8891 3DMark prior to any OC.
Sad news indeed. I've primarily always been an Nvidia user, but I may switch just to support the underdog regardless of how tempting the GTX 980 is to me at the moment. It might be foolish but it's my money :)

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
i dont think its a big news since Nvidia offers better performance and as usual newer products that has better performance would take more attention

System Name Champ's 1440P Rig
Processor Intel i7-4770K @ 4.6 GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z97 Extreme6
Cooling Corsair H60
Memory Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600 Mhz 4x4 Blue Ram
Video Card(s) Nvidia 1080 FE
Storage Samsung 840 Evo 256 GB/RAID 0 Western Digital Blue 1 TB HDDs
Display(s) Acer XG270HU
Case Antec P100
Power Supply Corsair CX850M
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard TT eSports Poseidon
Software Windows 10
Sad news indeed. I've primarily always been an Nvidia user, but I may switch just to support the underdog regardless of how tempting the GTX 980 is to me at the moment. It might be foolish but it's my money :)

Don't buy with the intentions of crossfire, high res monitors and displayport. It is essencely broken. They really need to step their R&D up. I hear NV doesn't have these issues.