• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Big Swing in Market Share From AMD to NVIDIA: JPR

System Name My White Theme Desktop PC
Processor 4770k / 4670k
Motherboard ASUS
Cooling CM 412 slim
Memory Kingston 8GB DDR3-1600
Video Card(s) GTX 770 / GTX 670
Storage Kingston SSD v300 120GB + 1TB Black + 1TB Green + 1TB Green + 1TB Blue
Display(s) 23" Philips IPS White Slim x 3 / Acer
Case Thermaltake Revo White Snow Edition / Cooler Master
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster 5.1
Power Supply AC 650w 80+ bronze x 2 White
Actually good for AMD, now they are FORCE to produce better GPU vs Nvidia GTX980/970.

or at least same gaming performances with NV but Cheaper than gtx9xx family. End of the day, we customer who will benefit from this all...

System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> RX7800XT
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Actually good for AMD, now they are FORCE to produce better GPU vs Nvidia GTX980/970.

or at least same gaming performances with NV but Cheaper than gtx9xx family. End of the day, we customer who will benefit from this all...

A. Forced? not really.
B. Its not like they were not planning on making new cards, but unlike Nvidia just going with what currently is available unlike what they originally planned, AMD is sticking to the newest tech and are waiting for 20nm to be feasible.

Bloodstar27

AMD too busy supplying chipset for ps4 and xboxone this year, i think that's the main reason they haven't release new generation GPU

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
You say that like Intel doesn't have resources to do R&D.

It's not about R&D muscle, it's about patents. Everything that you need to build a modern GPU has been patented by AMD (well ATI) and NVIDIA, and the two companies have cross-licensed a ton of those patents to each other, in what is a zero-sum. Neither AMD nor NVIDIA will commit the suicidal move of licensing important bits of their IP to a company as monied as Intel. This IP clusterfuck prevents a third serious GPU maker from ever taking shape. Last decade S3 Graphics cross-licensed its old patents, and licensed some stuff from NVIDIA and ATI to come up with a modern discrete GPU. It couldn't keep up with the development cycles of its competitors, and sold out within no time.

Intel's iGPUs are very crude. The SIMD components are essentially stripped down x86 cores (a miniaturized Larrabee). These are not very space-efficient (≠ energy-efficient), and Intel can't build GPUs that compete with GM204 or Hawaii in these 3~5 years, not even having a fab-process advantage over TSMC.

AMD too busy supplying chipset for ps4 and xboxone this year, i think that's the main reason they haven't release new generation GPU

Yeah, they're busy making reeeally sure there's no crippling bug or design flaw with those chips, which could warrant a recall.

System Name Current Rig
Processor Intel 12700K@5.1GHz
Motherboard MSI Pro Z790-P
Cooling Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 360mm
Memory 2x16GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Trident Z RGB
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming X Trio 6800 16GB
Storage 1TB SSD
Case Cooler Master Storm Striker
Power Supply Antec True Power 750w
Keyboard IBM Model 'M"
AMD is going further and further down.... Feel so sorry for those guys. Honestly.

Utter nonsense. Normally, AMD is first to release a new generation of GPUs. This has been the norm since the Radeon 4000 series forced nVidia to skip an entire generation (300-series) back in 2008.

With the GTX970 and 980, nVidia has simply decided to strip practically all the rest of the double precision floating point circuitry out of the chip (which is like a car manufacturer pulling the back seats out of their new model and selling it as a 'feature' that the car is now lighter and faster) and release a new generation on the old 28nm process rather than waiting in line behind AMD at Taiwan Semiconductor for 20nm, because nVidia is always second in line after AMD, being as how ATI has a longer history with TSM. It's a clever move on nVidia's part, and one which nVidia supporters have been lapping up, but AMD's nextgen 390-series GPUs are on schedule for early 2015, and will almost certainly raise the bar past the GTX980, just like the 7970 did to the GTX580, and the 5870 did to the GTX480.

Before you have a crying party for poor AMD, remember that AMD has revenue streams beyond graphics cards, too, and it's only a matter of a year or two before Intel and AMD both crush nVidia's main add-in graphics business with APUs and poor nVidia with no x86 license. AMD's next gen CPU, K12, will also be out near the end of 2015. When AMD's APUs have stacked GDDR5 memory on die, with Radeon 300-series graphics and K12 cores, most people will not even have to bother with discrete graphics cards. Only the most fanatical nVidiots will continue to spill huge wads of cash on 2 and 3 ultra-uber cards, and the game makers won't even be thinking about them.

Don't feel bad for AMD, worry about nVidia, and what they're going to do when add-in graphics cards go the way of add-in sound cards and add-in ethernet cards. They'd better hope AMD doesn't start winning even more of their professional graphics card market at the same time.

Last edited:
System Name Current Rig
Processor Intel 12700K@5.1GHz
Motherboard MSI Pro Z790-P
Cooling Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 360mm
Memory 2x16GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Trident Z RGB
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming X Trio 6800 16GB
Storage 1TB SSD
Case Cooler Master Storm Striker
Power Supply Antec True Power 750w
Keyboard IBM Model 'M"
With that said I have faith that AMD will bring something to the fight before its over. Will they beat Intel...no and never will again IMO. Will they give nVidia a hard time....HELL YEAH!!!!!!!!!

Before you write off AMD ever producing another Intel-beating core, read this: http://www.kitguru.net/components/c...me-changer-but-next-gen-zen-x86-core-will-be/

Jim Keller is building this nextgen AMD CPU, and remember, he's the engineer who designed the AMD K8, otherwise known as the AMD Athlon 64, the last AMD CPU that clearly beat Intel's best at the time. If anybody can do it, he can.

Before you write off AMD ever producing another Intel-beating core, read this: http://www.kitguru.net/components/c...me-changer-but-next-gen-zen-x86-core-will-be/

Jim Keller is building this nextgen AMD CPU, and remember, he's the engineer who designed the AMD K8, otherwise known as the AMD Athlon 64, the last AMD CPU that clearly beat Intel's best at the time. If anybody can do it, he can.

There's an edit button for a reason. Multi-posting is discouraged.

To the point at hand, I don't care. AMD releasing first, getting a minor lead, and then losing the lead to Nvidea almost immediately isn't a good thing. Being the first to market doesn't mean you've got the best product, just that you pushed it out faster.

To the same ends, Zen is years away. I'll believe it can compete with Intel the second that it materializes. I was promised that Bulldozer would compete with Intel years ago, so consider me jaded when it comes to open promises. The second AMD can compete is the second they deserve respect. Right now Nvidea is eating their lunch when it comes to gaming, Intel is eating their lunch when it comes to CPUs, and ARM is eating their lunch when it comes mobile devices. If the APU didn't find a home in the tablet market, and if the consoles didn't rely on the APU as a cheap pre-designed processor, AMD would be in really hot water.

The assertion that Nvidea is competing by cutting out features is interesting, but a fallacy. If a GPU, primarily used for gaming, no longer has calculation ability who cares? The people who use a GPU for computation still have the previous generation of card, which compete well with AMD's most recent offering. Gamers will never know the difference, but the much lighter cost will allow them to buy into the next generation. While I'm not in favor of an upgrade which removes features, this seems like a win-win for the consumers. Lower prices, and performance improvements, mean good things for consumers.

I'm sure your response is going to be something about my biases. Good luck there. I've built AMD systems, Intel systems, and used both flavors of GPU. AMD has always delivered a slightly worse product, at a much better price. That's definitely still true in the CPU market, but the GPU market is another story. Sales figures show this conclusion is extremely valid, and arguing to the opposite point is a fool's errand. Whether you like Nvidea/Intel or not, they're offering a better product right now. AMD cannot compete well with this, and their sales demonstrate that fact. It doesn't matter how AMD will be competing in 5 years, if they can't survive the next 4 due to massively diminished sales.

Processor AMD FX-8350 4.8GHz/1.46V
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair V Formula
Cooling Silverstone SST-TD02
Memory Patriot PV38G213C1K DDR3-2133 4GBx2
Video Card(s) PowerColor R9-290(X-mod)
Storage Plextor M5S-256GB
Case my own hand crafted
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar Essence STX
Power Supply FSP-RAIDER 750W
Software Windows8.1 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Firestrike:8780 3DMark11:P11894 FF14ARR-CC 1080p maximum:13437
i am optimistic about RADEON's future.
new HBM technology would be very effective in GPU.

http://www.sisoftware.eu/rank2011d/...e0d1e8d8ebd9e9cfbd80b096f396ab9bbdcef3c3&l=en
http://www.sisoftware.eu/rank2011d/...eb83be8badd5e8d9ff9affc2f0c7f4ccea99a494&l=en

http://www.bitsandchips.it/9-hardware/4994-dall-isscc-nuove-informazioni-su-carrizo-hbm-in-arrivo
http://www.bitsandchips.it/9-hardware/4994-dall-isscc-nuove-informazioni-su-carrizo-hbm-in-arrivo
Carrizo APU as well.

System Name MoneySink
Processor 2600K @ 4.8
Motherboard P8Z77-V
Cooling AC NexXxos XT45 360, RayStorm, D5T+XSPC tank, Tygon R-3603, Bitspower
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600C8
Video Card(s) GTX 780 SLI (EVGA SC ACX + Giga GHz Ed.)
Storage Kingston HyperX SSD (128) OS, WD RE4 (1TB), RE2 (1TB), Cav. Black (2 x 500GB), Red (4TB)
Display(s) Achieva Shimian QH270-IPSMS (2560x1440) S-IPS
Case NZXT Switch 810
Audio Device(s) onboard Realtek yawn edition
Power Supply Seasonic X-1050
Software Win8.1 Pro
Benchmark Scores 3.5 litres of Pale Ale in 18 minutes.
With the GTX970 and 980, nVidia has simply decided to strip practically all the rest of the double precision floating point circuitry out of the chip (which is like a car manufacturer pulling the back seats out of their new model and selling it as a 'feature' that the car is now lighter and faster
Bad analogy. Double precision isn't used in gaming workloads. A better analogy would be for a car manufacturer to strip out the ability to fit a trailer hitch to its sports car range.
waiting in line behind AMD at Taiwan Semiconductor for 20nm...
Bookmarked for humour and future reference!
Sound's like you'll be an unhappy camper when the 390X turns up on TSMC's 28nmHP node then

It's a clever move on nVidia's part, and one which nVidia supporters have been lapping up, but AMD's nextgen 390-series GPUs are on schedule for early 2015, and will almost certainly raise the bar past the GTX980, just like the 7970 did to the GTX580, and the 5870 did to the GTX480.
AMD's Fiji isn't GM204's direct competitor. Fiji competes with GM200, Bermuda competes with GM204....although that seems some time away judging by the rumours of AMD jacking up the frequencies to extend the life of Hawaii.
Before you have a crying party for poor AMD, remember that AMD has revenue streams beyond graphics cards, too, and it's only a matter of a year or two before Intel and AMD both crush nVidia's main add-in graphics business with APUs
In which case AMD would also crush its own discrete graphics business no? The same discrete graphics market that is keeping AMD afloat.
You really expect iGPs to consume the discrete GPU market? You obviously haven't been paying attention. Both vendors are pushing 4K (and above) gaming and higher graphical image quality settings. How many APU's are capable of playing games at 4K? how about path/ray tracing ? There's a reason that games outpace the ability of a single GPU to run them at max IQ/max resolution/max AA, and those reasons are Gaming Evolved and TWIMTBP. Hardware vendors aren't in the business of destroying their own markets.
AMD's next gen CPU, K12, will also be out near the end of 2015.
Yes, as if AMD have a record of sticking to CPU/APU schedules :rolleyes:
waiting in line behind AMD at Taiwan Semiconductor for 20nm, because nVidia is always second in line after AMD, being as how ATI has a longer history with TSM.
Incorrect. Both ATI and Nvidia used TSMC's 250nm node in 1997-98, both have been continual customers of TSMC since (with small diversions to IBM, UMC, UICC, and Chartered). The reason Nvidia jumps onto a process node after ATI/AMD is because of getting burned in the past (TSMC's 130nm Hi-K process), and because once AMD subsumed ATI it had the ability to troubleshoot foundry process issues better thanks to AMD running its own fabs (at the time of course). I might also point out that Nvidia seems quick off the mark with 16nmFF+, so I wouldn't base a future case scenario solely from past history. As you yourself said, AMD of late have had a process lead (R700, Evergreen etc), but that lead has been eroding with every successive series.

Last edited: