• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Can someone please help me out with what the best fan setup is?

System Name OLD POS
Basically I have an ARC Midi R2 and an Asrock extreme6 MOBO. It came with its own self control 5-7-12v fan controller. I'm looking for a setup that is more controlled by the needs of the hardware. I no longer have any free 5.25. I was thinking of getting 2 140mm in the front one 120mm on the floor and one 140mm in the rear high air flow to kick the air out. (Am currently running corsair h100i CPU cooler and its normally point in I would change the air flow out of the case) Was thinking of using something like a:

http://www.swiftech.com/8-WayPWMsplitter-sata.aspx or http://www.corsair.com/en-us/corsair-commander-mini

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/corsair-link-cooling-kit

. What do you guys think of this idea and which hardware would you select?

Thanks.

System Name Big Blue
Processor i5-4690k 4.7GHz@1.3v
Motherboard AsRock z97 Extreme4
Cooling Custom loop - XSPC
Memory 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3 1600MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte R9 270x Windforce3
Storage Crucial M500 120GB SSD/Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB 2.5" 7200RPM HDD
Display(s) AOC i2267fw 22-Inch IPS Frameless LED Monitor
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro
Power Supply XFX Pro 750W Gold w/Custom Sleeving
Software Win7 64
Benchmark Scores Coming soon!
I personally don't like Corsair Link, but to each their own. That Swiftech PWM splitter looks like it would do exactly what you want it to. Keep in mind though, if you connect 140mm and 120mm fans to it, the fan that is in the 1st position is supplying the RPM signal. So your 140mm fans will spin slower if a 120mm fan is attached to position 1 and vise versa.

If I was you, I would use the onboard motherboard fan headers. You didn't specify, but if this is the AsRock Z97 Extreme6 it has plenty. You can get 1 PWM Y splitter for a few bucks, and run your H100i fans from the CPU header like that.

As far as air flow goes, I had a similar set up in my 350D when I was using an H100i. The only difference was, that I pointed the rear exhaust fan so that it was intake, and supplying fresh air to the H100i that was exhausting out the roof.

System Name OLD POS
I personally don't like Corsair Link, but to each their own. That Swiftech PWM splitter looks like it would do exactly what you want it to. Keep in mind though, if you connect 140mm and 120mm fans to it, the fan that is in the 1st position is supplying the RPM signal. So your 140mm fans will spin slower if a 120mm fan is attached to position 1 and vise versa.

If I was you, I would use the onboard motherboard fan headers. You didn't specify, but if this is the AsRock Z97 Extreme6 it has plenty. You can get 1 PWM Y splitter for a few bucks, and run your H100i fans from the CPU header like that.

As far as air flow goes, I had a similar set up in my 350D when I was using an H100i. The only difference was, that I pointed the rear exhaust fan so that it was intake, and supplying fresh air to the H100i that was exhausting out the roof.

thanks for input, i did say i have the asrock extreme6 and your right there are a number of them, theres one 4 pin for cpu and one 4 pin for chassis and like 3-4 more 3 pins. The h100 does what u say it comes with a splitter and thats how u connect the fans it comes with but its a proprietary connection into the header so you cant use it elsewhere. i was thinking of getting something like
http://www.swiftech.com/8-WayPWMsplitter-sata.aspx
and connect it to the mobo this way it knows when it needs cooling rather then me setting.

Would you happen to know why they have a 4 pin chassis fan? and what is a "power fan" but - cpu theres 4. I have 2 140 in front one 140 in rear and the h100 (would like to get a 120mm on floor but even though theres space it seems no one took account of the cables coming off the power supply so dont know if it will fit. What do you think is the best play (and best fans you'd go with)

thanks,
sebastian

Last edited:

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
System Name PC ?
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 AORUS XTREME
Cooling NZXT Kraken X62
Memory 64gb of G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB 3600 / CL16
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XTX NITRO+
Storage C:/ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB - D:/7TB of Storage (WD-Bx2) - X:/Samsung 840 EVO 1TB
Display(s) Samsung Neo G9 57"
Case Corsair 1000D
Audio Device(s) Cambridge Audio CXA60 + Klipsch RP-160M
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME Ultra Titanium 1000TR
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Logitech G Pro Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro (64bit)
Don't buy corsair ... Corsair Link half of the time isn't working , it's takes years to fix random problems.

System Name Big Blue
Processor i5-4690k 4.7GHz@1.3v
Motherboard AsRock z97 Extreme4
Cooling Custom loop - XSPC
Memory 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3 1600MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte R9 270x Windforce3
Storage Crucial M500 120GB SSD/Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB 2.5" 7200RPM HDD
Display(s) AOC i2267fw 22-Inch IPS Frameless LED Monitor
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro
Power Supply XFX Pro 750W Gold w/Custom Sleeving
Software Win7 64
Benchmark Scores Coming soon!
The PWR_Fan connection is a steady 12v supply on a fan connector. It will provide you with rpm info though. I use mine to monitor my pump speed because the only pin used on the connector is the RPM signal.

Yes the H100 does have a 2 way splitter that is proprietary, get a different 2 way PWM splitter. If you ask me the 8 way is overkill with that motherboard and your config.

The PWM chassis fan header is most likely for front/bottom radiator fan support. You can change the fan speeds based on the CPU or Mobo temps in the BIOS.

No matter where you put the H100 top or bottom I would use the CPU fan header and buy something like this: http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?i...E16812162026&gclid=CKbR852Xj8ICFaHm7AodFFgAkw
I own one, they're good quality. Run your pump RPM signal to the CPU_Fan2 header, run the 140mm fans from chassis fan headers. Just because that one is 4 pin doesn't mean it won't support a 3 pin fan, it will.

Any more questions, ask away.

System Name OLD POS
you could look at the NZXT Grid+ and I believe Phanteks offers a PWM hub as well, off the top of my head I do not recall the naming.

http://www.nzxt.com/product/detail/148-GRID-digital-fan-controller.html
http://www.phanteks.com/PH-PWHUB.html

yeah thats what i had it down to,
theres even another
http://www.nzxt.com/product/detail/123-grid-fan-hub.html

which is the best one you guys think to go with and fans to pair with it (i have never built a cooling system) before so i dont know whats the best call. Like for ex to you hook 3 pins into the mobo, do you get one of these splitters as thats what most are.
Is there an advantage to using PWM fan with one of these splitters?
i was guessing something like
is best as its mobo controlled and when its getting hot it fires the fans up.

Thats why im confused.

Thanks,

Don't buy corsair ... Corsair Link half of the time isn't working , it's takes years to fix random problems.

thanks, i was considering it as they have 2 the mini commander and then i saw this
http://www.corsair.com/en-us/corsair-link-cooling-kit
what sucks is i went ahead and got the h100i and hx1000i to use the link software (but looks like your right as ive heard complaint before)

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Software Windows 11
PWM controlled devices will run all the time. They will be slower and more silent when the load is very little, and once the load is upped PWM takes control and raises the fan speeds according to the temperature of the CPU in the case of these PWM splitters.

All of them will work very similar, it is more about the amount of connections available, the amount of power the device can push so it can power the demand you are looking to apply, and of course cost.

System Name OLD POS
PWM controlled devices will run all the time. They will be slower and more silent when the load is very little, and once the load is upped PWM takes control and raises the fan speeds according to the temperature of the CPU in the case of these PWM splitters.

All of them will work very similar, it is more about the amount of connections available, the amount of power the device can push so it can power the demand you are looking to apply, and of course cost.

Would this setup work?
and
http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products_id=54&lng=en
? is it that simple?

thanks

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Software Windows 11
Any fans will work with that splitter from Swiftech. Just get the controller, find a nice place to mount it and go at it.

When I used that hub, I just stuck it to the floor....

System Name OLD POS
Any fans will work with that splitter from Swiftech. Just get the controller, find a nice place to mount it and go at it.

When I used that hub, I just stuck it to the floor....
NICE Cable Work. Dont get why they make em flat. Looks good on paper not in the real world. Sorry just just retarded on the topic. What do you mean by controller? "a fan controller"? But isnt that what the splitter doing when its connected to the 4 pin chassis fan?

thanks

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Software Windows 11
splitter, controller, sorry I mean the same thing.

Ont he Swiftech, there is a 4-pin that goes to the CPU header to supply the PWM signal. There is also supplementary power to power all of the fan ports on the hub.

System Name OLD POS
splitter, controller, sorry I mean the same thing.

Ont he Swiftech, there is a 4-pin that goes to the CPU header to supply the PWM signal. There is also supplementary power to power all of the fan ports on the hub.

you think its the best way to run fans (as a controller) and what pwm fans would you buy if you were in my shues i have a midi r2 case so i need 2 in front through "filter" which is not real tough and need one in the back and i would like to fit one 120mm on the floor (though dont know if i can as i have a cable issue, seems like its a flaw of design on fractals side) sorry the others are all 140s

thanks

Attachments

• IMAG0870.jpg
    IMAG0870.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 434

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Software Windows 11
Does not matter where it goes, that was just an example. At that time, I just used the Swiftech Helix fans. Worked well.

System Name OLD POS
Does not matter where it goes, that was just an example. At that time, I just used the Swiftech Helix fans. Worked well.
i got ya, i was just saying id like to put a 120 on the bottom and does not appear i can. Thanks for input for the input love the unpaid babysitter line.

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Software Windows 11
you could put a 120mm in there, although the wiring from the PSU may need sort of pushed out of the way just a bit, and make sure they stay out of the blades. a single ziptie would do you wonders to get a fan installed.

System Name OLD POS
gotta say it seems unanimous, no one like the corsair controller. In that case im not going to bother connecting it to USB.

I have spine issues and really annoying when i have a "procedure" done. Leave the project and forget the nuance details as to where i left off. At this point all i have left is GPU and cooling and in the interim im going to use the the provided controller while i get the fans and controller. One thing, do you think http://www.swiftech.com/8-WayPWMsplitter-sata.aspx is ok to use? as NZXT has 2 products in the field grind and grind plus. Is there an advantage to either of the 3 a benefit that one has that the others dont?

Thanks,
Sebastian

Last edited by a moderator:

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Software Windows 11
Grid+ is completely PWM, Grid is not.