• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS Xonar Essence STX II 7.1 Sound Card

System Name My Surround PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D
Motherboard ASUS STRIX X670E-F
Cooling Swiftech MCP35X / EK Quantum CPU / Alphacool GPU / XSPC 480mm w/ Corsair Fans
Memory 96GB (2 x 48 GB) G.Skill DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Suprim X 24GB
Storage WD SN850 2TB, 2 x 512GB Samsung PM981a, 4 x 4TB HGST NAS HDD for Windows Storage Spaces
Display(s) 2 x Viotek GFI27QXA 27" 4K 120Hz + LG UH850 4K 60Hz + HMD
Case NZXT Source 530
Audio Device(s) Sony MDR-7506 / Logitech Z-5500 5.1
Power Supply Corsair RM1000x 1 kW
Mouse Patriot Viper V560
Keyboard Corsair K100
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Mellanox ConnectX-3 10 Gb/s Fiber Network Card
i have the dx 7.1 xonar and when i plugged it in years ago(was using the onboard x58a-gd65)

i thought wow wtf !

im using optic into yamaha cinema amp and 6 speakers, center, sub.. quality ones.. (linn,spendor,B&W,yam sub)

sounded way way way better.. playing music wavs

question for you audio buffs...

is the sound on-board the asus Z97 Maximus VII Hero better than my asus dx card ?
and also the Asus Z97 Deluxe (suppose it same as hero)

ta

Are you still using S/PDIF or analog outputs? If you're using S/PDIF then the sound card versus integrated audio makes no difference because all the DAC is being performed at the receiver. About the only thing the Xonar can do that the integrated sound cannot is expand a stereo audio file into Dolby Digital or DTS, but that is unnecessary because the receiver can apply those algorithms too.

That's why I don't quite understand the purpose of these high end PC audio cards. People who truly care about sound quality will not buy an expensive sound card but instead output a digital signal from their PC through USB, HDMI, or S/PDIF to an external DAC and avoid all the interference present in a PC case.

System Name Raptor Lake
Processor 13900KF
Motherboard Rog Strix Z790-E Gaming Wifi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory 32GB DDR5
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3080 ti Suprim X
Storage Samsung 970 Pro SSD(512) NVMe + 850 evo ssd (500) WD 2GB NVME pcie4
Display(s) Samsung Neo 32inch curved 240hz
Case THERMALTAKE CORE X2
Audio Device(s) Rotel 1572 mk ii
Power Supply 1000W
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Steel Series Apex Pro
Software windows 11Pro x64
Are you still using S/PDIF or analog outputs? If you're using S/PDIF then the sound card versus integrated audio makes no difference because all the DAC is being performed at the receiver. About the only thing the Xonar can do that the integrated sound cannot is expand a stereo audio file into Dolby Digital or DTS, but that is unnecessary because the receiver can apply those algorithms too.

That's why I don't quite understand the purpose of these high end PC audio cards. People who truly care about sound quality will not buy an expensive sound card but instead output a digital signal from their PC through USB, HDMI, or S/PDIF to an external DAC and avoid all the interference present in a PC case.

yea i knew that about the DAC being done in the amp, which causes me to think then how did it sound so good when i upgraded, it defo did pal..

another thing, with onboard i only got stereo into amp which converted it "neo 6 cinema" which i beleave is simulated surround.

with the xonar, i get dolby digital out and it comes up on amp display not neo but dolby digital 7.1, all 7.1 channels display on amp as separate channels.
with neo 2 channels as stereo.

hope that makes sense been awake all night its 7:45am here..

System Name My Surround PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D
Motherboard ASUS STRIX X670E-F
Cooling Swiftech MCP35X / EK Quantum CPU / Alphacool GPU / XSPC 480mm w/ Corsair Fans
Memory 96GB (2 x 48 GB) G.Skill DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Suprim X 24GB
Storage WD SN850 2TB, 2 x 512GB Samsung PM981a, 4 x 4TB HGST NAS HDD for Windows Storage Spaces
Display(s) 2 x Viotek GFI27QXA 27" 4K 120Hz + LG UH850 4K 60Hz + HMD
Case NZXT Source 530
Audio Device(s) Sony MDR-7506 / Logitech Z-5500 5.1
Power Supply Corsair RM1000x 1 kW
Mouse Patriot Viper V560
Keyboard Corsair K100
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Mellanox ConnectX-3 10 Gb/s Fiber Network Card
another thing, with onboard i only got stereo into amp which converted it "neo 6 cinema" which i beleave is simulated surround.

with the xonar, i get dolby digital out and it comes up on amp display not neo but dolby digital 7.1, all 7.1 channels display on amp as separate channels.
with neo 2 channels as stereo.

hope that makes sense been awake all night its 7:45am here..

I actually own a Xonar DX (not in my main PC) with the 7.1 analog outputs connected to speakers, and I also have a HTPC steaming LPCM through HDMI to a home theater receiver. With both playing the same source, both with Pro Logic IIx processing, they sound identical.

I'm assuming you are listening to a stereo source? If so, then both scenarios are simulated surround and the difference comes down to which device is performing the expansion using what algorithm. The receiver is just showing the number of input channels, not the number of output channels; in both cases all your speakers are being used.

When you send out stereo over S/PDIF, the receiver is apparently using DTS Neo:6 processing to upconvert the stereo to 7.1. When you use the Xonar card, the Xonar card upconverts stereo using Dolby Pro Logic II and then encodes it using lossy Dolby Digital EX to be sent over S/PDIF to your receiver.

Theoretically, sending uncompressed stereo to the receiver and letting the receiver perform the upconversion is the better option because the entire chain is lossless. If you could set your receiver to upconvert the stereo using Pro Logic IIx instead of Neo:6, then you would have a similar listening experience to the Xonar card.

yea i knew that about the DAC being done in the amp, which causes me to think then how did it sound so good when i upgraded, it defo did pal..

I don't doubt it did, but I think the receiver could do just as well if you set it to Pro Logic IIx. You should also consider whether you are using "Music" or "Cinema/Movie" mode. The "Cinema/Movie" mode focuses audio towards the center channel to improve the clarity of dialogue and vocals at the expense of achieving room-filling sound. The "Music" mode expands the music to fill the room with sound (including reverberation) at the expense of some clarity in vocals and dialogue. If you're playing the same source using the "Music" mode with your Xonar DX and the "Cinema/Movie" mode of your receiver, then it's not a fair comparison.

Hi.. I'm Noob of Sound Card. I thinking to buy this card for my AVR Pioneer VSX-922K but don't know how to connect the cables to my home Pioneer VSX-922K.
Anyone can teach me? My PC is HTPC, now i am using MSI R9 290X Lightning HDMI port output to my AVR to get "Dolby Digital, DTS Audio, Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus and DTS-HD" i thinking to get Best Sound so thinking to buy this card. But i really don't know how to connect the cable for my AVR so come here find some one help.

Here my AVR : http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/products/archive/VSX-922-K/page.html
My AVR Rear : http://www.areadvd.de/images/2012/Pioneer_VSX-922/Pioneer_VSX-922_RueckseiteSeitlich1.jpg
My AVR Rear2: http://postimg.org/image/gsl17dkx7/

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 39 / Windows 11 insider
If you are using SPDIF and receiver... you don't need this card. Calm down.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI)
Cooling Corsair iCUE H115i Elite Capellix 280mm
Memory 32GB G.Skill DDR4 3600Mhz CL18
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX 3070 Ti TUF Gaming OC Edition
Storage Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF
Case Corsair iCUE 4000X
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar D2X
Power Supply Corsair AX760 Platinum
Mouse Razer DeathAdder V2 - Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K70 MK.2 Low-Profile Rapidfire
Software Microsoft Windows 11 Pro (64-bit)
I love the skin of this driver package, anyone know how I can go about getting it? :)

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 39 / Windows 11 insider
I love the skin of this driver package, anyone know how I can go about getting it? :)

Download the driver and swap the skin folder? Xonar UI is ugly and dated as medieval toilet.

Use UniXonar lowDPC anyways...