• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Realtemp shows 100% load, almost nothing else does... temps high...

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
See attached screenshot. Why is RT showing 100% load when there is nothing running? Core temp shows no load, task manager says no load, yet when I get to resource manager, I see a load (blue 'max' line that keeps pegged over 100%). What is that? Temps are quite high for idle sitting in the low 40C. Ambient is 20C. This is the 295x2 and 5820K in the loop cooled by MCR320 and an old PA120.2.

This is a fresh OS install (2 weeks old), drivers (chipset/ME/GPU/USB3/NIC) installed with very few programs (only benchmarks and monitoring tools). I ran Malwarebytes for giggles and it only found some things in chrome I always had.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• ss.jpg
    ss.jpg
    716.7 KB · Views: 806
Last edited:
System Name Windows 10 64-bit Core i7 6700
Processor Intel Core i7 6700
Motherboard Asus Z170M-PLUS
Cooling Corsair AIO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Kingston DDR4 2666
Video Card(s) Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB, Seagate Baracuda 1 TB
Display(s) Dell P2414H
Case Corsair Carbide Air 540
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair TX v2 650W
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard CM Storm Quickfire Pro, Cherry MX Reds
Software MS Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Not in the CPU section its not...there is a "DISK" section (just below CPU) that also has a blue line in it...

CPU load is what I am describing... HDD disk load doesn't cause CPU temp increases in the first place which is my problem. ;)

I will try remounting the block, but, temps were fine since I swapped over to the EVGA. This seems to have happened after I reinstalled windows somehow (and trying to avoid that again if possible).

Last edited:
Cooling Corsair AIO
Display(s) Dell P2414H
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Not in the CPU section its not...
Am I supposed to see a blue line in a CPU section? .... opening resource monitor ... oh that line shows current freq. as percentage of max (turbo) freq.

CPU load is what I am describing... HDD disk load doesn't cause CPU temp increases in the first place which is my problem. ;)

Yeah I see something about temperatures in your opening post now :D it looks like your CPU is not changing power states at idle and is always at 4+ GHz even at 6% load.

I'd check windows power profiles and bios settings

Last edited:
That shouldn't have anything to do with it. Power savings it should throttle down.clocks, yes, but cpu load % is what is off. I've had it at 4.5ghz 1.35v without load and lower temps.

Cooling Corsair AIO
Display(s) Dell P2414H
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
This is my resource monitor. Cpu needed ~20% load to change p-state as seen on the image:

Your's seems to stay at max power state all the time, that's what I'm saying and it's about that blue line, not about your cpu usage or load (green line) that is under 10% most of the time.

Gotcha...I'll see if enabling power savings does anything too...

Switching power plans around in windows does drop the clockspeed, but leaves the voltage the same as expected. Temps dropped too, but not to where they were (still a few C off).

That said, Realtemp is still reading 100% (it will drop to 96-99 at times) load for whatever reason even though the CPU is clocked down and nothing actually loading it.

There is seemingly some kind of load or something going on because my Spi (1/32M) and Wprime times are off (Spi 1M off by a second and 32M off by a minute). Not sure what is going on here...

Attachments

• ss2.jpg
    ss2.jpg
    590.1 KB · Views: 597
Cooling Corsair AIO
Display(s) Dell P2414H
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
It's looking good now, those temps are great at that voltage on 140 W CPU, i'm guessing it's under water in cold climate.
I'm guessing also that your voltage isn't dropping at idle because you overvolted it by setting fixed voltage in bios rather than using voltage offset.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
That is all correct. But these temps were a few C better even with the CPU at 4.5Ghz 1.35v with other boards and a previous OS.

I still don't understand why RTemp is showing 100% load...

Sounds like a bug with Real Temp. @unclewebb would be a great person to ask.
yup... I will message him.

The weird part are the slow times on this board at the same clock/memory speeds and timings... like I said, SPi 1M is 1s off while 32M is 1M off... Im thinking there is something loading this CPU still...I never recall seeing RT nearly pegged at 100% with nothing loading it.

EDIT: I just DL RTemp fresh into a new folder and ran it... same deal. 100% load when there isn't a load.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
The weird part are the slow times on this board at the same clock/memory speeds and timings... like I said, SPi 1M is 1s off while 32M is 1M off... Im thinking there is something loading this CPU still...
Boost by default doesn't run 24/7 or on all the cores. Those idle temperatures seem kind of high to me, my 3820 idles almost 10*C lower on air, so maybe it's how you're overclocking the CPU. Try resetting everything to stock and running the same tests again to see if the same variation occurs.

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
The RealTemp load meter reports the percentage of time a CPU is in the C0 state. If it is reporting 100% when your CPU is idle, that means that all of your low power C States have been disabled. C1, C1E, C3, C6 etc. are all disabled. All motherboards should enable C1 or else the CPU will consume excessive amounts of power and produces lots of unnecessary heat when the CPU is idle.

Sounds like a bug with Real Temp

Not really. RealTemp just likes doing things differently so you know when there is a problem with your CPU. Most other apps use a Windows API function that at times is not accurate and ignores these kind of problems.

Edit - Try using the C1E option in RealTemp. If might not work if the bios has disabled all of the C States.

Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Intelppm

Check out that registry key and see what Start is set to. It is usually set to 3. If it is set to something different you could try setting it to 3, reboot and see if it makes any difference.

Last edited:
Looks like I did things differently on this overclock versus the rest...though I always disable C states when overclocking and don't recall this behavior in the past.

Now I suppose I need to figure out why the hell this board is so slow in my testing...

unclewebb

When you disable C States in the bios, the motherboard is supposed to leave C0 and C1 enabled. When a CPU is working on something, it is in the C0 state and when it has nothing to do, it drops down to C1 where it is instantly ready to get back to work. If the motherboard is working correctly, RealTemp will show a low percentage. If you did a clean Windows install then there is a problem with your motherboard. If you swapped a hard drive from one motherboard to a different motherboard, you can end up with problems like this.

On my laptop the Max CPU approaches 150%. Default multi is 24 and max single core multi is 36 so 150% makes sense.

http://i.imgur.com/hVbmebV.png

Yup.. clean install...

I'll chat with EVGA as this is for a review.

unclewebb

Check that registry key I posted. If C1 was disabled by the bios, when installing Windows, the value in that registry key will not be 3 like it should be. Setting the Start registry key to 3 might fix this problem.

Missed that edit RE the registry. I will check it out when I get to the pc later.

Thanks for chiming in and I will report back tonight. :)

Sorry for the double post, but that "start" registry entry is set to 3.

Setting C1E within RT doesn't seem to do anything with the windows power set to performance and the bios with C states disabled.

Last edited:

unclewebb

Have you tried enabling one of the other C States in the bios like C3 or C6?

When idle, the RealTemp load should drop towards zero if the CPU can access C3 or C6 or C7.

I think its all or nothing in this bios... (EVGA X99 FTW for the record)... let me check really quick...

Its either C1 enhanced, C3, or C6 it appears...I disabled 3/6 and the load in RT went down. :)

... and suddenly the system freezes... LOL

... repeatedly with it enabled... I can't even use it.

EDIT again: If I leave C states enabled, but disable 1/6/7. It seems to work... temps are where I expect them to be for the clocks/voltage/ambient, and RT shows a more typical 'load'. :)

Last EDIT?: that also seemed to correct my performance issue as well... Im back to 8.1s SPi 1M times... WHEW. I have NEVER seen that happen before on a board!

Last edited:

unclewebb

I have NEVER seen that happen before on a board!

I have. :)
But this happens very rarely. The first time I saw this happen, I was scratching my head too. A bios update should get your EVGA board fixed up.

If you have the time could you post a few screenshots of your bios and what C State options work and which ones don't. A screenshot of RealTemp GT working correctly would be nice too. I found a couple of screenshots of a Haswell-E 5930K but had a hard time finding one of a 5820K. That way when someone finds this forum 6 months from now, it will all make sense. The T|I version of RealTemp includes C State reporting for the 4 core CPUs. It might help you understand what C States are being enabled by the bios. Some bios versions and bios options are not always accurate.

RealTemp T|I Edition
https://www.sendspace.com/file/55yvry

Sure things UW.

Here is RT GT 3.70 working with the 5820K with C states enabled, but C1 Enhanced, C3, and C6 (BIOS' only options) disabled. If I disabled C States all together, we would then see the 100% load displayed in RT as earlier in the thread.

I'll follow up with T|I and BIOS SS after more testing that I am behind on. :)

Attachments

• rt.jpg
    rt.jpg
    325.9 KB · Views: 405

unclewebb

Thanks for posting the pic. It is nice to see that RealTemp GT is still working correctly on Intel's latest CPUs even though it has not been updated in almost 3 years.

Intel says the Haswell E CPUs support the following core C States:
C0, C1, C1E, C3, C6, C7

and they support these package C States
C0, C1/C1E, C2, C3, C6

Package C7 is not supported. Your bios might disable the core C7 state.

Anyway, it looks like this board is doing exactly what you told it to do. With C States completely disabled in the bios, it disables all of them and leaves the CPU constantly in the C0 state. In the early days of CPU design, this was the norm. The CPU was always in the C0 state and ready to get to work. Surprising that you saw slightly less performance but perhaps Windows or the CPU was not expecting this.

The performance thing was curious, but it is repeatable when I disable C States from the higher level.. Here is the BIOS ss...

141130230918.jpg