• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Noob that needs help

System Name My PC I guess :)
Processor Intel Core i5-2500K
Motherboard ASRock P67 EXTREME4 (B3) LGA 1155
Cooling 3 case fans?
Memory G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB
Video Card(s) EVGA SuperClocked 01G-P3-1563-AR GeForce GTX 560 T
Storage Seagate Barracuda Green ST1500DL003 1.5TB 64MB
Case Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower
Power Supply CORSAIR HX series HX650 650W
Hi all. I am a complete noob when it comes to working on a pc so bear with me. My computer has been over heating when gaming.
When it first started overheating I cleaned it out it was fine for a few days then started overheating again, so I got a new case fan installed it, ran great for a few days started overheating again. SO then opened it back up and ran it and notice my cpu fan/heatsink fan did not run. So I am assuming that is the issue?

I used Real Temp GT to run a sensor movement test but yeah, don't understand it other then it is bad. I guess my question is is my processor bad or just the cooling? Or something else? I ordered a new fan/heatsink and also thermal paste (nervous about installing it myself) but will that even be worth my effort? Thanks so much for the advice!

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
If the fan on your cpu cooler isn't spinning, that is clearly the issue, yep! Replace the heatsink. What case do you have so we know what can fit..a cooler master hyper 212 evo comes to mind for cheap but good cooling.. if it can fit.

Also, how do you have the airflow setup in the case? It should generally be a front/sides = intake and top/rear = eexhaust. You will want.to list.your complete system specs like you see my link under the avatar.

Last, use the regular realtemp exe file. Gt is for hex cores hence the empty space on the right there. :)

Last edited:
System Name My White Theme Desktop PC
Processor 4770k / 4670k
Motherboard ASUS
Cooling CM 412 slim
Memory Kingston 8GB DDR3-1600
Video Card(s) GTX 770 / GTX 670
Storage Kingston SSD v300 120GB + 1TB Black + 1TB Green + 1TB Green + 1TB Blue
Display(s) 23" Philips IPS White Slim x 3 / Acer
Case Thermaltake Revo White Snow Edition / Cooler Master
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster 5.1
Power Supply AC 650w 80+ bronze x 2 White
lol u already know the problem with your pc, your CPU cooler or fan need a replacement...

Cooling 3 case fans?
If the fan on your cpu cooler isn't spinning, that is clearly the issue, yep! Replace the heatsink. What case do you have so we know what can fit..a cooler master hyper 212 ego comes to mind for cheap but good cooling.. if it can fit.

Also, how do you have the airflow setup in the case? It should generally be a front/sides = intake and top/rear = eexhaust. You will want.to list.your complete system specs like you see my link under the avatar.

Last, use the regular realtemp exe file. Gt is for hex cores hence the empty space on the right there. :)
Thank you for the reply! I added what specs I could ;). I already ordered a replacement heatsink, this one http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005B8SNQE/?tag=tec06d-20 . I did do some research and decided to go with a better thermal paste then what it comes with so I ordered arctic silver 5. I think all my fans are set up as exhaust fans because they are all blowing out. I have a top, side and rear fan. What do you recommend in set up? Glad you guys think its just the heatsink!. I got a little freaked out when I ran that test!! Thank you so much!

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont see specs. And that link doesn't work for me.

As far as fan setup... I mentioned optimal airflow setups. I'd make that side fan intake. No front fan?

Cooling 3 case fans?
I promise specs are there but I did not enable the viewing for others at first. Nope no front, so will switch the side for sure. I dk why link is not working but if you copy and paste it it will. Thanks!

There are spaces for front fans...I'd put it there, but, if you are not overclocking the cpu, it won't matter as there is plenty of headroom normally.

That's a stock Intel cooler...it will be fine at stock speeds and a bit of an overclock.

Cooling 3 case fans?
Guess I will have to take a better look in the from then! Did not even know there was space there!!! Like I said i am new to this. This pc was my first build and I had a ton of help with it... well mostly I watched while my friend did it, lol. Thanks for reassuring me. I will def reconfigure the fans and not game till the new heatsink is installed.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
Welcome to TPU! It seems EarthDog has your problem pretty sorted out.

Once you check, if you dont have a front intake fan, it would be worthwhile to get one. It will help keep some airflow over tje hard drive area, which couls help save you another overheating problem down the road, and will bring in some additional airflow for the cpu and other components.

And yeah, definately dont game until you get new heatsink and fan. In fact, my guess even just light use will get you to the point of overheating, so if it were me, i would just wait until it arrives.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

System Name Main/DC
Processor i7-3770K/i7-2600K
Motherboard MSI Z77A-GD55/GA-P67A-UD4-B3
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC14CS/H80
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) LP /4GB Kingston DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 660 Ti/MSI HD7770
Storage Crucial MX100 256GB/120GB Samsung 830 & Seagate 2TB(died)
Display(s) Asus 24' LED/Samsung SyncMaster B1940
Case P100/Antec P280 It's huge!
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply SeaSonic SS-660XP2/Seasonic SS-760XP2
Software Win 7 Home Premiun 64 Bit
Cooling 3 case fans?
Welcome to TPU! It seems EarthDog has your problem pretty sorted out.

Once you check, if you dont have a front intake fan, it would be worthwhile to get one. It will help keep some airflow over tje hard drive area, which couls help save you another overheating problem down the road, and will bring in some additional airflow for the cpu and other components.

And yeah, definately dont game until you get new heatsink and fan. In fact, my guess even just light use will get you to the point of overheating, so if it were me, i would just wait until it arrives.

Good luck, and keep us posted!
Light use is OK stay in the 44-49 c range, its really just when I game that it becomes an issue and temps rise quickly. I will def keep you all posted and I will lurk here to learn more on how to keep this PC running and build my next one.

Ha!! I just watched this earlier tonight right before ordering the new one!! :) Thanks tho!

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name Better than before
Processor 10400
Motherboard B460 Pro4
Cooling Id-Cooling 224
Memory 16 GB
Video Card(s) 1650 Super
Storage Swordfish 500 GB
Display(s) AOC G2
Case Coolermaster Ammo 533
Audio Device(s) Micca MB42X
Power Supply Pure Power 11
Mouse G403
Keyboard Sidewinder x4
Software Windows 10 (ugh)
The fact that the heatsink keeps it at 50c with a broken fan is interesting, given the stock cooler. But it is the 2k series, before they screwed up the TIM on the 3k series. You have a great CPU there. I do wish you'd have gone with a better cooler (120mm fan) to take advantage of your unlocked CPU. Did the person who built it for you overclock it at all? That CPU has a lot of headroom for extra speed.

Can't say I've ever had a fan just stop working, but I have had a couple make a lot of grinding noises that I trashed. Funnily enough, I only have 1 fan in my tower and it's still working, but it's been unplugged for a year or so (annoying blue LED). It came with the case, and it's 10 years old.

System Name Ryzen 2023
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700
Motherboard Asrock B650E Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory G Skill Flare X5 2x16gb cl32@6000 MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 6950 XT Nitro + gaming Oc
Storage WESTERN DIGITAL 1TB 64MB 7k SATA600 Blue WD10EZEX, WD Black SN850X 1Tb nvme
Display(s) LG 27GP850P-B
Case Corsair 5000D airflow tempered glass
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-850W
Mouse A4Tech V7M bloody
Keyboard Genius KB-G255
Software Windows 10 64bit
Did you try to plug the fan in a different 3 or 4 pin fan header. Maybe it's not the fan that's broken but the fan header on the board.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
Light use is OK stay in the 44-49 c range, its really just when I game that it becomes an issue and temps rise quickly. I will def keep you all posted and I will lurk here to learn more on how to keep this PC running and build my next one.

I'm guessing then, that it means your case airflow is generally good. That's excellent that you can do light use without the CPU fan!

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
Cooling 3 case fans?
The fact that the heatsink keeps it at 50c with a broken fan is interesting, given the stock cooler. But it is the 2k series, before they screwed up the TIM on the 3k series. You have a great CPU there. I do wish you'd have gone with a better cooler (120mm fan) to take advantage of your unlocked CPU. Did the person who built it for you overclock it at all? That CPU has a lot of headroom for extra speed.

Can't say I've ever had a fan just stop working, but I have had a couple make a lot of grinding noises that I trashed. Funnily enough, I only have 1 fan in my tower and it's still working, but it's been unplugged for a year or so (annoying blue LED). It came with the case, and it's 10 years old.
Yeah I think the game I am playing (DAI) is why it is such an issue with a nonworking fan. Other then that it works great. This is the temp after running a few min this AM (see image). It fluctuates to the low 50's then back down, depending on how many web pages I have open etc...

I went with the stock heatsink because I know it fits and I was nervous about having to mount a new one and the intel one clips in right so no screws (yay for me!). I did debate over it for a few hours and decided for my needs I probably just need the same I have (just a working one). I know nothing about overclocking (blushes), so I have no idea if he did at all. It was a few years ago when we built this (2011) so if we discussed it I have long forgotten.

Did you try to plug the fan in a different 3 or 4 pin fan header. Maybe it's not the fan that's broken but the fan header on the board.
Umm no I didn't. Did not even know it was an option, that's how much of a noob I am ;). I did notice the heatsink has lots of dust that I cant clean off with air or q-tips, I removed as much as I could but its still pretty dust where I cant reach/get to. I will give it a try later today as I am dying to take advantage of my days off this week and finish up DAI.

I'm guessing then, that it means your case airflow is generally good. That's excellent that you can do light use without the CPU fan!
I will admit it is a shock to me. It even cools down quickly as long as I am not trying to game. :)

Yes that was her link. for some reason, that link doesn't work unless you copy it into another page, just clicking on it doesnt... weird.

Its an antec 300...https://www.google.com/search?q=antec 300&espv=2&biw=1373&bih=904&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=43CAVLfQKtWlyASB2YHgBA&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg
Yup that is my case.

@micropage7 EarthDog linked images of my case. If you do feel it is necessary I can post images.

Thanks gentlemen and ladies (if any of you are ladies). I will definitely take all your advice and apply it.

Last edited:
System Name BlueKnight
Processor Intel Celeron G1610 @ 2.60GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-H61M-S2PH (rev. 1.0)
Memory 1x 4GB DDR3 @ 1333MHz (Kingston KVR13N9S8/4)
Video Card(s) Onboard
Storage 1x 160GB (Western Digital WD1600AAJS-75M0A0)
Display(s) 1x 20" 1600x900 (PHILIPS 200VW9FBJ/78)
Case μATX Case (Generic)
Power Supply 300W (Generic)
Software Debian GNU/Linux 8.7 (jessie)
SO then opened it back up and ran it and notice my cpu fan/heatsink fan did not run. So I am assuming that is the issue?
I think the BIOS option: "CPU Fan Fail Warning" should be enabled by default. The user would hear the endless beep and automatically think there's something wrong!

Just my opinion.

System Name Joel's Rig
Processor Intel i7-6700K (4 Cores, 4GHz)
Motherboard MSI Z170A GAMING M5
Cooling 3x 140mm Case Fans, Cooler Master Hyper TX3 Evo
Memory Kingston HyperX Fury (DDR4, 2x 8GB, 2133MHz) 16GB
Video Card(s) MSI AMD Radeon R9 290X (8GB VRAM)
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 120GB SSD, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, WD 3TB HDD
Display(s) Samsung U28E590D (28-Inch, 4K, 60Hz)
Case Corsair Carbide 600C
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD (Integrated)
Power Supply Corsair RM750i (750W)
Mouse Roccat Tyon
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Chroma
Software Windows 10 Pro
I had the exact same problem as this not long ago just after I had built my first PC. Stock heatsink was a load of crap and stopped working so I had to buy a new one, installed it and now nothing has gone wrong since :)
But because of the size of my graphics card and the size of the new heatsink I got, I had to completely take my PC apart and build it back together - I hope you don't have to do this! :oops: