• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New build with R280, low frame rates

Teh Lemur

That log is enough actually (less pretty view of the graph)...

I do not recall, can you have MSI AB check FPS and have it in that log too? We need to see the breaking point as it didn't throttle here. Did you experience a FPS slowdown?

There's no sudden change in FPS, it's around 20FPS or so (in Ultra settings) from the moment I launch the game. Here's an Afterburner graph showing this. The craziness at the start is just the framerate in the game's menus, the big drop down to 20 FPS is when the game starts.

afterburner fps test.png

Teh Lemur

From the log, everything seems fine.

1. Press the blue "?" to start a render test and verify if the "Bus Interface" changes. It currently is @x16 1.1, it should rise to @x16 3.0, if not -> Reseat the card and try again, still not at @x16 3.0-> change the card slot. (Depending on which card slot you used it could be @x16 2.0).
2. Uninstall all the AMD drivers, delete the AMD folder (C:\AMD), reboot and reinstall the latest drivers. http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/
3. Still not working properly? Put the card in another PC.
4. Still not? -> RMA.

I found your Fire Strike score and the Physics Score is what it should be, which means that it is only GPU related.
http://www.3dmark.com/fs/3399308

I tried the GPU-Z render test, and the bus interface changes correctly to "@x16 3.0". I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers, but no change. I'll try the card in a different PC when I get the chance, but it's looking increasingly like it's going to have to be RMA'd. :(

Teh Lemur

Oh, one more thing. Re-check graphic card power cables. Most of modern cards will still run with no or bad power connection, but they'll be stuck in low clock mode.

The power cables look to be correctly and securely connected. Is there any way to check if this might be the issue? I presume I wouldn't see the card reaching its full clock speed if this was the problem though, and I am seeing that, it's just the framerate that isn't right.

Teh Lemur

I know this sounds odd, but try downclocking the memory a little bit. You might have a bad memory chip and the ECC algorithm is killing your performance. Downclocking the RAM might make it stable and performance might actually go up. If it does, RMA the card.

I gave it a go, but no luck I'm afraid.

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
Motherboard ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4
Memory 2x8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4-3200MHz CL16 1.35V
Video Card(s) MSI Radeon RX 6600 XT Gaming X 8G
Storage Crucial MX100 512GB + Samsung 870 EVO 2TB
Display(s) MSI Optix MAG24C
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS GX-550
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate
Keyboard Corsair K60
Why is your max core clock @ 827MHz, it should be @ 972MHz.
Push the power limit to +20% in AB and try again.
Unplug and re-plug both power connectors.

Teh Lemur

Hi guys. I don't want to speak too soon, but it seems that yet another driver re-install - with the new Omega drivers - seems to have solved the problem.

I'm still kinda pissed that all I did was install the recommended drivers on a fresh install of Win7, yet I ended up with all this hassle and confusion. But at least now I don't have to RMA the card, and I won't be without a gaming machine over Xmas. :)

Thank you all for the help and advice trying to sort this!

System Name BlueKnight
Processor Intel Celeron G1610 @ 2.60GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-H61M-S2PH (rev. 1.0)
Memory 1x 4GB DDR3 @ 1333MHz (Kingston KVR13N9S8/4)
Video Card(s) Onboard
Storage 1x 160GB (Western Digital WD1600AAJS-75M0A0)
Display(s) 1x 20" 1600x900 (PHILIPS 200VW9FBJ/78)
Case μATX Case (Generic)
Power Supply 300W (Generic)
Software Debian GNU/Linux 8.7 (jessie)
Hi guys. I don't want to speak too soon, but it seems that yet another driver re-install - with the new Omega drivers - seems to have solved the problem.

I'm still kinda pissed that all I did was install the recommended drivers on a fresh install of Win7, yet I ended up with all this hassle and confusion. But at least now I don't have to RMA the card, and I won't be without a gaming machine over Xmas. :)
Good! :D

That's a good feeling!