• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Which motherboard for Intel i7-4790k?

Processor i7-7700K @4.7GHz
Memory G.Skill Trident X 16GB 2400
Video Card(s) R9 290
Hey guys,

So I'm going to get an Intel i7-4790k CPU for my new build but am wondering what should I get for the motherboard? I'm all new to this and don't know the first thing about mobo. I've looked at the best of the month article and it still seem confusing:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-intel-amd-moth...

I have no idea which to choose but only know it's a Z97 for my CPU. So I'm hoping to ask you guys for help to get some suggestions.

Here's some addtional information which may (or may not) prove helpful:

1. I'm planning on overclocking but not for 1-2 years at least. Due to financial reasons I'll not be able to buy a new rig for the next 6 years.

2. I'll only choose a single Radeon R9 290 for my GPU, so I'll not run CrossFire and don't need slot for a second card.

3. I mainly play extremely CPU intensive games like Total War, Arma, Mount & Blade etc. some of which are not even optimized for multi core CPUs.

So what do you guys think I should get for the mobo? I'm really new to all this, was also curious whether a better mobo will give better performance ingame (hope it don't sound too silly :p)

Also I'll be buying from this store since I can get a pretty good deal there, and it's also close to where I live.
What would you guys pick from that list considering the price? (Ignore the Outofstock notice)

https://www.umart.com.au/umart1/pro/Products_list.phtml?id=10&bid=9&id2=376

Anyway thanks guys, appreciate any help you guys can give!

Last edited:
Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
My suggestion for bang for the buck is the ASRock Z97 Extreme 4 or Extreme 6. That will be fine for overclocking and your uses.

Motherboards do not give better performance in game for all intents and purposes.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
My suggestion for bang for the buck is the ASRock Z97 Extreme 4 or Extreme 6. That will be fine for overclocking and your uses.
Was just going to post exactly this.

System Name Devil's Canyon PC build
Processor Intel i7-4790K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z97X-G1 Gaming WIFI-BK
Cooling Prolimatech Megahalems Black Edition Air Cooler, 2x Akasa 120mm PWN Piranha Fans (push-pull config)
Memory Patriot Viper 3 "Black Mamba" 32GB (4x8GB), 2133MHz, C11-11-11-30, 1.5v
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Windforce X3 GeForce GTX Titan X 12GB GDDR5 (Non-Pascal)
Storage Samsung 850 PRO 512GB SSD, 1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, Seagate 8TB Archive HDD, 2TB Samsung M9T HDD
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift 27" 144Hz G-Sync Gaming Monitor
Case Corsair Obsidian 650D Midi Tower - Black, 3x230mm Bitfenix SPECTRE PRO, 1x120mm Bitfenix PWN (SP)
Power Supply Seasonic 660W Platinum Certified Modular
Software Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64
I would recommend the Gigabyte G1.Sniper Z97. It is slightly cheaper than the Asrock Extreme 6 (at my location) and to date my own one has been good.

The immediate positives for this motherboard would be that it probably has one of the better or the best onboard sound card for it's price range, very little pointless display connections at the rear ports and from reviews I've seen that the motherboard is known for overclocking well.
Only negatives I could think of is that motherboard is slightly smaller than the normal ATX size, colour scheme may not appeal to all and the motherboard does not have any of the newly promoted new technologies for Sata Express and M.2 SSD slots.

I wasn't particular interested in the new technologies as there are currently no Sata Express devices for consumers yet and I prefer to stick with 2.5" SSDs rather than change to a ulrabook SSD for my main boot option/ operating system.

Currently the better onboard sound has been good for high quality audio such as a playing music in the .flac format with my gaming heatset and as for games I have yet to see my motherboard causing a bottleneck in relation to gaming.
For gaming though the KillerLAN ethernet port (which is on this motherboard) is suppose to be better for multiplayer gaming, but I couldn't say it would be better than another type of ethernet port.

Any other aspect of gaming would be more reliant on the Graphics Card, CPU and RAM rather than the motherboard itself, but the onboard sound and connectivity to internet can contribute depending on which games you play.

Video Card(s) R9 290
Hey guys, sorry for the lack of reply lately, been kinda busy this week.

Anyway I did some research from multiple sites with multiple reviews, and fully agree those are excellent boards coming from all sources.
So I have it set squarely to either the ASRock Z97 Extreme 6 or Extreme 4.

The problem now is deciding between the two, and this is the part I'm really having trouble with.
I've read on the features that each board have and lacks, however I don't seem to know what exactly they do.

Here are the features for each board:
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z97 Extreme6/index.us.asp
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z97 Extreme4/index.us.asp

And here's a simplified comparison chart:
http://www.asrock.com/mb/compare.asp?SelectedModel=Z97+Extreme6&SelectedModel=Z97+Extreme4

Would it be alright if you can explain to me exactly what features that the Extreme6 board has over the other one?
Since I don't even know what they are used for, and I want to decide whether it's worth it to spend more on the Extreme6 board.

Again really appreciate your comments.

System Name A work in progress...
Processor RYZEN 7 5800X3D
Motherboard ASUS X570 ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling ID COOLING 360mm AIO
Memory 2x8GB OLOY WARHAWK PLATINUM DDR4 4000
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3080 V2 GAMING OC
Storage Crucial P3 Plus 2TB
Display(s) GIGABYTE G27QC A
Case TECWARE VXR
Audio Device(s) SMSL Q5 PRO / PIONEER SP-BS22-LR Speakers
Power Supply EVGA G6 850W GOLD
Keyboard TECWARE PHANTOM (BROWN SWITCHES/HYPERX PUDDING KEYCAPS)
Software Windows 11
My suggestion may be a bit odd but I was in your situation recently and was looking around at Z97 boards
but I ended up getting the ASUS Z87-WS. This is a workstation class board with all there bells and whistles you
could think of and it has no issue with Devil's Canyon cpus. A snazzy feature is the ability to upgrade the bios without
a CPU or RAM which I immediately took advantage of to ensure support for my 4790K. My biggest reason for getting the board though was the price. I paid an eBay seller $120 brand new, usual retail is north of $300. All that said Z97 may afford greater longevity in future CPU support.

System Name World Tank Blitz
Processor 8700k
Video Card(s) Asus Gtx 770 OC & 1080 TI
Storage Samsung EVO 850 120GB
Audio Device(s) Logitech
Power Supply Cooler Master V750 Fully Modular
Mouse CM Storm Reaper + MM520
Keyboard MasterKey Pro LRGB and XTI
i learn from here :)

System Name Some computer stuff
Processor Mostly Intel or AMD
Motherboard ATX or mATX
Cooling Bong Cooler
Memory DDR2-4
Video Card(s) A few
Storage Plenty Platters or SSDs or USBs
Display(s) Samsung 23"
Case 5 on the floor
Audio Device(s) There's one for my M7 Gene, Oh I have 3-4 PCI 5.1 ones.Sabrent! lol
Power Supply 750-1000W
Mouse cheap
Keyboard Used ps2 from garage sales
Software Yeah
Benchmark Scores http://hwbot.org/user/schmuckley/#Hardware_Library http://valid.canardpc.com/rbjpbg
Motherboard ATX or mATX
Cooling Bong Cooler
Memory DDR2-4
Video Card(s) A few
Display(s) Samsung 23"
Case 5 on the floor
Audio Device(s) There's one for my M7 Gene, Oh I have 3-4 PCI 5.1 ones.Sabrent! lol
Power Supply 750-1000W
Mouse cheap
Software Yeah
Benchmark Scores http://hwbot.org/user/schmuckley/#Hardware_Library http://valid.canardpc.com/rbjpbg
Hey guys, sorry for the lack of reply lately, been kinda busy this week.

Anyway I did some research from multiple sites with multiple reviews, and fully agree those are excellent boards coming from all sources.
So I have it set squarely to either the ASRock Z97 Extreme 6 or Extreme 4.

The problem now is deciding between the two, and this is the part I'm really having trouble with.
I've read on the features that each board have and lacks, however I don't seem to know what exactly they do.

Here are the features for each board:
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z97 Extreme6/index.us.asp
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z97 Extreme4/index.us.asp

And here's a simplified comparison chart:
http://www.asrock.com/mb/compare.asp?SelectedModel=Z97 Extreme6&SelectedModel=Z97 Extreme4

Would it be alright if you can explain to me exactly what features that the Extreme6 board has over the other one?
Since I don't even know what they are used for, and I want to decide whether it's worth it to spend more on the Extreme6 board.

Again really appreciate your comments.

It might allow "full voltage" for RAM..
It might not..I know for sure the Extreme4 didn't have good voltage tables.
1.8v max on RAM :shadedshu:
I spent all of 20 mins with an Extreme4.That was enough to let me know I did not like it.

Video Card(s) R9 290
@Vincy Boy
holy!!! That mobo is really expensive here in australia, and not many shops sell it, what are all the features that makes it worth it? I'm building my PC mainly for gaming.

@Schmuckley
sorry they don't have that mobo in the shop, I'm wondering what does voltage table do for CPU? Does it allow better OC?
If so does it mean the Extreme6 is better for more performance for gaming?

System Name barely hangin on...
Processor Intel I5 4670K @stock
Motherboard Asus H81m-cs (nothing else available now)
Cooling CM Hyper 212X (in push-pull)
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance Dual Channel 1866MHz
Video Card(s) Asus RX 580 4GB Dual
Storage WD Blue 1TB, WD Black 2TB, Samsung 850 Evo 250GB
Display(s) Acer KG241QP 144Hz
Case Cooler Master CM 690 III (Transparent side panel) - illuminated with NZXT HUE RGB
Audio Device(s) FiiO E10K>Boom 3D>ATH M50/Samson SR850/HD599SE
Power Supply Corsair RM 850
Mouse Redragon M901 PERDITION 16400 DPI Laser Gaming Mouse
Keyboard HyperX Alloy FPS Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (Cherry MX Brown)
Software 7-64bit MBR, 10-64bit UEFI (Not Multi-boot), VBox guests...
Hey guys,

So I'm going to get an Intel i7-4790k CPU for my new build but am wondering what should I get for the motherboard? I'm all new to this and don't know the first thing about mobo. I've looked at the best of the month article and it still seem confusing:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-intel-amd-moth...

I have no idea which to choose but only know it's a Z97 for my CPU. So I'm hoping to ask you guys for help to get some suggestions.

Here's some addtional information which may (or may not) prove helpful:

1. I'm planning on overclocking but not for 1-2 years at least. Due to financial reasons I'll not be able to buy a new rig for the next 6 years.

2. I'll only choose a single Radeon R9 290 for my GPU, so I'll not run CrossFire and don't need slot for a second card.

3. I mainly play extremely CPU intensive games like Total War, Arma, Mount & Blade etc. some of which are not even optimized for multi core CPUs.

So what do you guys think I should get for the mobo? I'm really new to all this, was also curious whether a better mobo will give better performance ingame (hope it don't sound too silly :p)

Also I'll be buying from this store since I can get a pretty good deal there, and it's also close to where I live.
What would you guys pick from that list considering the price? (Ignore the Outofstock notice)

https://www.umart.com.au/umart1/pro/Products_list.phtml?id=10&bid=9&id2=376

Anyway thanks guys, appreciate any help you guys can give!
I would suggest get a GTX 970 instead of the 290.
And for the motherboard, get the Asus Maximus 7 Ranger. It has everything you can possibly need, and some very nice features like usb bios flashback, memOK etc which will make your life a lot easier when you run into problems while overclocking.
Lastly, don't forget to get a good PSU, like at least a 80+ Bronze from Seasonic, Corsair etc.

System Name A work in progress...
Processor RYZEN 7 5800X3D
Motherboard ASUS X570 ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling ID COOLING 360mm AIO
Memory 2x8GB OLOY WARHAWK PLATINUM DDR4 4000
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3080 V2 GAMING OC
Storage Crucial P3 Plus 2TB
Display(s) GIGABYTE G27QC A
Case TECWARE VXR
Audio Device(s) SMSL Q5 PRO / PIONEER SP-BS22-LR Speakers
Power Supply EVGA G6 850W GOLD
Keyboard TECWARE PHANTOM (BROWN SWITCHES/HYPERX PUDDING KEYCAPS)
Software Windows 11
@Vincy Boy
holy!!! That mobo is really expensive here in australia, and not many shops sell it, what are all the features that makes it worth it? I'm building my PC mainly for gaming.

@Schmuckley
sorry they don't have that mobo in the shop, I'm wondering what does voltage table do for CPU? Does it allow better OC?

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z87WS/specifications/
http://www.pureoverclock.com/Review-detail/asus-z87-ws-motherboard-review/

Check the above links for more thorough information. In my own experience this is one of the most stable boards (if not the most) I have ever owned.

Processor 8700k
Motherboard z370 extreme 4
Cooling EK CPU, GPU
Memory 32GB ddr4
Video Card(s) GTX 1080ti WC
Storage 500GB wd black nvme, 2x750gb mx300 raid0
Display(s) dell 34 Ultrawide
Case Lian-Li PC10
Audio Device(s) BW MM1
Power Supply Corsair SF600
I am really happy with sabertooth mark 2. Has 5 years of warranty, great fan control for 8 fans and really stable. Only thing missing is sata express/ m.2

Motherboard ATX or mATX
Cooling Bong Cooler
Memory DDR2-4
Video Card(s) A few
Display(s) Samsung 23"
Case 5 on the floor
Power Supply 750-1000W
Mouse cheap
Software Yeah
@Vincy Boy

@Schmuckley

Well;The Extreme6 is most likely better than Extreme4,anyway.
The only AsRock I would get is the Z97 OverClock Formula.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MB-Biost...3-Intel-EuP-Motherboa-HIFIZ97Z7-/390987648921

nevermind about the link to that mobo @ an Italian shop..never buy anything from Italy..slowest shipping in the world..literally.

Gah!! After some searching..Extreme6 DRAM voltage is capped @ 1.8 too :banghead:

It should be fine for gaming..but not for RAM overclocking very much with tightened timings.

Last edited:
System Name Eskwy
Processor 4790k @ 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asus Hero VII
Cooling Stock cooler for the moment
Memory 8GB Kingston HyperX Genesis 2133Mhz
Video Card(s) Gtx 1070 strix oc
Storage 2x Western Digital 1 To -1x Samung Evo 840 256GB - 1x OCZ Vertex 4 128GB
Display(s) ASUS VG248QE 144hz
Case Antec Twelve Hundred
Power Supply Corsair HX 620W
Software Windows 10 Pro x64

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Enermax ETX-T50RGB
Memory CL16 BL2K16G36C16U4RL 3600 1:1 micron e-die
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3070 Ti GAMING OC
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Display(s) LG Ultra Gear 32 1440p 165hz Dell 1440p 75hz
Case Phanteks P300 /w 300A front panel conversion
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus+ Platinum 750W
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Software Windows 11 +startisallback
Well;The Extreme6 is most likely better than Extreme4,anyway.
The only AsRock I would get is the Z97 OverClock Formula.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MB-Biost...3-Intel-EuP-Motherboa-HIFIZ97Z7-/390987648921

nevermind about the link to that mobo @ an Italian shop..never buy anything from Italy..slowest shipping in the world..literally.

Gah!! After some searching..Extreme6 DRAM voltage is capped @ 1.8 too :banghead:

It should be fine for gaming..but not for RAM overclocking very much with tightened timings.
you don't run 1.8V though modern DDR3 unless you are pushing a massive overclock
Jesus get clue

Video Card(s) R9 290
Ahh thank you so much for the comments guys, I really appreciate this!
It looks like I will not be needing any of the extra features that Extreme6 has.

Although this poped up just then, what do you think about the MSI Z97 Gaming 5? Since it is within the budget range of both boards.

And also it's in Tom's top of the month approved list:
Best Motherboards 2014 - Intel and AMD Gaming Motherboards

Here's the review:
Best Z97 Motherboard Between $120 And $160

It also seems to be more popular on PCPartPicker than the Extreme4 & Extreme6:
Choose A Motherboard - PCPartPicker Australia

Again thank you so much for this! You've been really helpful. :)

6 of one half dozen of the other on boards man... pick one that has the features you need, color scheme you want, and fits in your budget. 99% of boards you choose like this will be fine for 99% of people. Don't make it harder than it needs to be. :)

System Name Overpriced
Processor Intel Core i7-3960X
Motherboard ASUS Sabertooth X79
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 32GB Corsair Dominator 2133MHz
Video Card(s) 2x EVGA GTX 770 SC SLI
Storage 2x Corsair Force GT 180GB SSD
Case NZXT Phantom
Power Supply Be Quiet Straight Power Pro 10
Unless you are going to do LN2 overclocking, pretty much any Z97 motherboard can handle high air 24/7 OC and your limitation will be the cooler. We have CPU integrated voltage regulator to thank for that and strict Intel motherboard voltage guidelines. All motherboards will also perform relatively the same game wise with minimal differences. I suggest just focusing on getting one that has the features you need.

Processor 5800x(2)/5700g/5600x/5600g/2700x/1700x/1700
Motherboard MSI B550 Carbon (2)/ MSI z490 Unify/Asus Strix B550-F/MSI B450 Tomahawk (3)
Cooling EK AIO 360 (2)/EK AIO 240, Arctic Cooling Freezer II 280/EVGA CLC 280/Noctua D15/Cryorig M9(2)
Memory 32 GB Ballistix Elite/32 GB TridentZ/16GB Mushkin Redline Black/16 GB Dominator
Video Card(s) Asus Strix RTX3060/EVGA 970(2)/Asus 750 ti/Old Quadros
Storage Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB/WD Black M.2 NVMe 500GB/Adata 500gb NVMe
Display(s) Acer 1080p 22"/ (3) Samsung 22" 1080p
Case (2) Lian Li Lancool II Mesh/Corsair 4000D /Phanteks Eclipse 500a/Be Quiet Pure Base 500/Bones of HAF
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 850G(2)/EVGA Supernova GT 650w/Phantek Amps 750w/Seasonic Focus 750w
Mouse Generic Black wireless (5)
Keyboard Generic Black wireless (5)
Software Win 10/Ubuntu
6 of one half dozen of the other on boards man... pick one that has the features you need, color scheme you want, and fits in your budget. 99% of boards you choose like this will be fine for 99% of people. Don't make it harder than it needs to be. :)

This. When I was a new, I would research and pick 3 motherboards that fit my needs. Then I look for a couple legit reviews from trusted sources on these 3 boards, and chose the board with the most positive professional reviews. That makes more sense than a ton of strangers just telling u to get whatever board they are currently using.

Edit: I will say that out of the 150-160 motherboards I've owned over the last 10 years that Gigabyte and Asus have been the most reliable/durable. Though I'd add DFI and Abit to that list if they were still around. MSI has been the least reliable. Biostar, Foxconn (are they still around?) and Asrock have been inconsistent. But that's just my experience.

Last edited:
Motherboard ATX or mATX
Cooling Bong Cooler
Memory DDR2-4
Video Card(s) A few
Display(s) Samsung 23"
Case 5 on the floor
Power Supply 750-1000W
Mouse cheap
Software Yeah
you don't run 1.8V though modern DDR3 unless you are pushing a massive overclock
Jesus get clue
I run 1.99v through my modern ddr3 any time I want to get a better score and tighten CAS up a notch.
1.8v will not achieve the desired results for me.
OCF will do it,
M7G will do it
Biostar z87/97 HiFi will do it
I'm sure Sabertoof/z97 Asus PRO does too.
Oh..and the Giga OC Force.

I kinda like being able to run 9-12-12-28 @ 2666Mhz sometimes :p
tbh I really don't like boards being gimped just for "why not"

Last edited:
Interesting considering most ICs stop scaling around 1.8v or so on ambient cooling. I'm surprised they aren't dead honestly.

I'm also shocked you are struggling to get good memory results out of the ocf as it's one of the best (so says those better than I at hwbot forums as well as my results with it).

Last edited:

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Enermax ETX-T50RGB
Memory CL16 BL2K16G36C16U4RL 3600 1:1 micron e-die
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3070 Ti GAMING OC
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Display(s) LG Ultra Gear 32 1440p 165hz Dell 1440p 75hz
Case Phanteks P300 /w 300A front panel conversion
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus+ Platinum 750W
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Software Windows 11 +startisallback
there rated to take 1.9v but reality is you never really need that much voltage nor does it usually do you any good in fact while it may not kill the sticks it could make them unstable
either way the comments about ram voltage are in no way relevant to the op and smuckly needs to hush