• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

any good complete c++ programming tutorial

System Name Unknown
Processor AMD Bulldozer FX8320 @ 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asus Crosshair V
Cooling XSPC Raystorm 750 EX240 for CPU
Memory 8 GB CORSAIR Vengeance Red DDR3 RAM 1922mhz (10-11-9-27)
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Storage Samsung SSD 254GB and Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
Display(s) AOC 23" @ 1920x1080 + Asus 27" 1440p
Case HAF X
Audio Device(s) X Fi Titanium 5.1 Surround Sound
Power Supply 750 Watt PP&C Silencer Black
Software Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
Every one thanks for your help very much. i truly appreciate it! i think i am going to just learn java from Bucky which has very simple way of explaining to program. there they have a beginner tutorial, a advanced tutorial and also tutorial about how to make games with java. as all of you said that unity is probably better i would use unity, and unity also supports coding in Java.
Again all of you thank you for your help for supporting me in my question!
here is a link to Bucky's beginner Java tutorial https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFE2CE09D83EE3E28

I'm glad you decided on a language to begin learning. C# and Java are very similar.
But I regret to inform you that you can't use Java in Unity.

You may be confusing Java with Javascript with UnityScript.

Neither of the 3 are a like except that javascript and unityscript are very similar. Unity calls their unityscript javascript, but in reality it isn't exactly javascript so its also referred to as Unityscript. Even though in all their documents they call it javascript. Hope this isn't too confusing :p its all rather silly if you ask me. http://wiki.unity3d.com/index.php?title=UnityScript_versus_JavaScript

In the end just get to learning the basics of OOP and it will translate over to other OOP capable languages one way or another. But bottom line is No Java in Unity.

Tutorial wise Brackey's and BurgZurgArcade are great! They both use Unity and C# and have tons of tutorials in both. From specfic things like making an inventory to full fledged making a game tutorials!

Here is a beginners guide to C# by Brackey's

and a Hack n Slash game by ZurgBurg but it is looong.

Brackey's also has game tutorials but his Surival Game tutorial uses Unityscript. He has a platformer tutorial that is shorter that uses C# if you want to give that a try.

Last edited:

rafiaksd3

I'm glad you decided on a language to begin learning. C# and Java are very similar.
But I regret to inform you that you can't use Java in Unity.

You may be confusing Java with Javascript with UnityScript.

Neither of the 3 are a like except that javascript and unityscript are very similar. Unity calls their unityscript javascript, but in reality it isn't exactly javascript so its also referred to as Unityscript. Even though in all their documents they call it javascript. Hope this isn't too confusing :p its all rather silly if you ask me. http://wiki.unity3d.com/index.php?title=UnityScript_versus_JavaScript

In the end just get to learning the basics of OOP and it will translate over to other OOP capable languages one way or another. But bottom line is No Java in Unity.

Tutorial wise Brackey's and BurgZurgArcade are great! They both use Unity and C# and have tons of tutorials in both. From specfic things like making an inventory to full fledged making a game tutorials!

Here is a beginners guide to C# by Brackey's

and a Hack n Slash game by ZurgBurg but it is looong.

Brackey's also has game tutorials but his Surival Game tutorial uses Unityscript. He has a platformer tutorial that is shorter that uses C# if you want to give that a try.

hey i want to ask is that is C# better than and more powerful than C++? And is C# easier to learn then C++?
last thing is that, can you give other good c# tutorials because Brackey's one is only 6 videos and it looks unfinished!

System Name Unknown
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Storage Samsung SSD 254GB and Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
Case HAF X
hey i want to ask is that is C# better than and more powerful than C++? And is C# easier to learn then C++?
last thing is that, can you give other good c# tutorials because Brackey's one is only 6 videos and it looks unfinished!

No language is really more "powerful" than another. I'm pretty anything you can do in one language you can do in another. I think it comes down to which language makes it easier to complete the task. I could be mistaken .

I'd say on the level you are on either language will be equally as hard as the other. Learning the basic like for loops, if loops, classes, etc.. will be as hard on one language as it is in the other. But I'd say making a game in C++ is harder because of the tools that exist. There is no tool as intuitive as Unity for C++ as far as I know and if there is one I'd like to know about it. Unreal 4 maybe... but I still found Unity a lot easier to use.

rafiaksd3

No language is really more "powerful" than another. I'm pretty anything you can do in one language you can do in another. I think it comes down to which language makes it easier to complete the task. I could be mistaken .

I'd say on the level you are on either language will be equally as hard as the other. Learning the basic like for loops, if loops, classes, etc.. will be as hard on one language as it is in the other. But I'd say making a game in C++ is harder because of the tools that exist. There is no tool as intuitive as Unity for C++ as far as I know and if there is one I'd like to know about it. Unreal 4 maybe... but I still found Unity a lot easier to use.

no my question is that is c# easier then c++ and as same powerful as that of c++?

System Name Unknown
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Case HAF X
no my question is that is c# easier then c++ and as same powerful as that of c++?

I'd first say that yes, C# is easier than C++, because of the amount of things that you'd have to worry about. Like automatic garbage collection vs manual memory management, lots of libraries and then C++ is harder yet I'd say more flexible rather than powerful because you can use Lambdas, have more control.

C++ is what they call a multi-paradigm.

Paradigms being things like functional programming, Object-Oriented Programming, procedural programming, etc..
If you want to know more I suggest looking into what a paradigm is in computer Science.
So C++ is multi as in multiple paradigms.

C# is just one paradigm, that is Object-Oriented programming paradigm. Where by the programmer can use Classes which can be treated as objects in other classes to call that objects methods which define their functionality and that is the only way you can do it in C# and java, OOP languages.

But I wouldn't worry so much about all that in your case.
You have to get down the basics which are pretty much the same in C++, C# and java and with unity and C# the basics will be enough to get you started, granted you also learn your way around unity.

Last edited:

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
System Name Ryzen Reflection
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master
Cooling 2x EK PE360 | TechN AM4 AMD Block Black | EK Quantum Vector Trinity GPU Nickel + Plexi
Memory Teamgroup T-Force Xtreem 2x16GB B-Die 3600 @ 14-14-14-28-42-288-2T 1.45v
Video Card(s) Zotac AMP HoloBlack RTX 3080Ti 12G | 950mV 1950Mhz
Storage WD SN850 500GB (OS) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (Games_1) | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB (Games_2)
Display(s) Asus XG27AQM 240Hz G-Sync Fast-IPS | Gigabyte M27Q-P 165Hz 1440P IPS | Asus 24" IPS (portrait mode)
Case Lian Li PC-011D XL | Custom cables by Cablemodz
Audio Device(s) FiiO K7 | Sennheiser HD650 + Beyerdynamic FOX Mic
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 850
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit

no, what you can do in one language you cannot do in some others. For instance C++ has function overloading and operator overloading, you can't do those sorts of things in C. Among some other stuff like pass by reference and inheritance.

System Name Unknown
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Case HAF X
no, what you can do in one language you cannot do in some others. For instance C++ has function overloading and operator overloading, you can't do those sorts of things in C. Among some other stuff like pass by reference and inheritance.

Yeah they are different no doubt in syntax, design, structure, etc.. but overall you can accomplish the same tasks, that is what I meant.

Also this was a comparison with C# and C++. I don't know much about C actually.

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
System Name Ryzen Reflection
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master
Cooling 2x EK PE360 | TechN AM4 AMD Block Black | EK Quantum Vector Trinity GPU Nickel + Plexi
Memory Teamgroup T-Force Xtreem 2x16GB B-Die 3600 @ 14-14-14-28-42-288-2T 1.45v
Video Card(s) Zotac AMP HoloBlack RTX 3080Ti 12G | 950mV 1950Mhz
Storage WD SN850 500GB (OS) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (Games_1) | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB (Games_2)
Display(s) Asus XG27AQM 240Hz G-Sync Fast-IPS | Gigabyte M27Q-P 165Hz 1440P IPS | Asus 24" IPS (portrait mode)
Case Lian Li PC-011D XL | Custom cables by Cablemodz
Audio Device(s) FiiO K7 | Sennheiser HD650 + Beyerdynamic FOX Mic
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 850
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit
Yeah they are different no doubt in syntax, design, structure, etc.. but overall you can accomplish the same tasks, that is what I meant.

Ah okay, fair enough. I do agree with that statement.

rafiaksd3

hey AphexDreamer you did not give the tutorial for C# and C# gaming. I asked you about this because the Brackey's tutorial seems unfinished!

System Name Unknown
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Case HAF X
Last edited:
System Name Unknown
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Case HAF X
s

one last time, so for gaming i learn c# and use unity. is unity really easy to use?

That would be a good start. It might seem overwhelming at first but once you go through a few tutorials and get into it with small projects learning the essentials tools and their hotkey's shouldn't be to stressful.

However, what I'd say is stressful is if your making a game by yourself is that you have more than just programming to worry about. Depending on the quality and type of the game you want to make, you'll have to learn animations, modeling 3D/2D, sound design, particle effects and of course programming at the very least.

Not to deter you, it is very possible to make a game on your own. Unity also helps in the art department because they have lots of free Unity Assets. They have an asset store where you can purchase or sometimes find free assets that you can import into your Unity Project aka game. Also the internet has lots of free art and sounds available you just have to dig for them. Importing can be as easy as dragging and dropping into unity or automatic when you download from their asset store.

So to close, unity is a full fledged game engine that gives you the essential tools that you would need to make game in a manner that is IMO least convoluted and even has a store to provide content.

rafiaksd3

That would be a good start. It might seem overwhelming at first but once you go through a few tutorials and get into it with small projects learning the essentials tools and their hotkey's shouldn't be to stressful.

However, what I'd say is stressful is if your making a game by yourself is that you have more than just programming to worry about. Depending on the quality and type of the game you want to make, you'll have to learn animations, modeling 3D/2D, sound design, particle effects and of course programming at the very least.

Not to deter you, it is very possible to make a game on your own. Unity also helps in the art department because they have lots of free Unity Assets. They have an asset store where you can purchase or sometimes find free assets that you can import into your Unity Project aka game. Also the internet has lots of free art and sounds available you just have to dig for them. Importing can be as easy as dragging and dropping into unity or automatic when you download from their asset store.

So to close, unity is a full fledged game engine that gives you the essential tools that you would need to make game in a manner that is IMO least convoluted and even has a store to provide content.
every body thanks for your help. as Aphex Dreamer suggested I am going to learn C# and Unity and will try to make 2d games at first.
So for your help i want to thank everyone one last time!

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
I would learn the language first then trying to make a game. If you try to make a game as you're learning you're only going to get frustrated. What ever language you decide to go with, just remember that writing a game is an end, not the beginning. You need to know what you're doing before you can make any half decent software.

System Name BumBumBox
Processor AMD 5900x
Motherboard ITX
Cooling AIO
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) 3080ti
Storage 2TB
Software Win11
I'd also recommend http://unity3d.com/learn/live-training
Unity is definitely a great engine to start with but like Aquinus and others said. Your going to want to learn some C# before diving right into Unity. I would still recommend messing around in Unity while learning C# so you don't get discouraged. Check out the link I linked to help learn Unity and a little C#.
Like a few others have said I'd start with something like Python. for this I'd go to http://www.codecademy.com/ and do their Python course. This would help learn some basic stuff in programming in a very easy to read syntax.

System Name Unknown
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Case HAF X
I'd also recommend http://unity3d.com/learn/live-training
Unity is definitely a great engine to start with but like Aquinus and others said. Your going to want to learn some C# before diving right into Unity. I would still recommend messing around in Unity while learning C# so you don't get discouraged. Check out the link I linked to help learn Unity and a little C#.
Like a few others have said I'd start with something like Python. for this I'd go to http://www.codecademy.com/ and do their Python course. This would help learn some basic stuff in programming in a very easy to read syntax.

That is pretty cool, didn't know they had that.

System Name BumBumBox
Processor AMD 5900x
Motherboard ITX
Cooling AIO
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) 3080ti
Storage 2TB
Software Win11
I've been dipping my toes in and out of programming and making games (a lot more then just programming) for the last year. I've also been to a few game jams and indie meet ups.
Once I saw a few of the posts mention Python to start. I decided to go do the course on Codecademy and that right there has to be probably the best advice I've heard. Since I've been going in and out of programming for the last year or so I'm still really fresh with it. Learning basic of Python on Codecademy helped a lot. It helped me to understand a lot of stuff I have already learned or didn't completely understand.

Something that has also been really fun but I'm not sure if I'd recommend it is playing with UE4 blueprint system. https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/Blueprints/index.html