• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

first time raid'er, need advise

System Name Buffyvpsfan
Processor i7 5820k oc 4.3ghz
Motherboard MSI gaming 7 X99
Cooling NZXT H41 single radiator
Memory 16gb ddr4
Video Card(s) asus gtx 970 4gb GDDR5
Storage samsung evo 840 120gb ssd, 1 tb HDD
Display(s) Acer XR341CK
Case NZXT h440 red
Power Supply 1200 crosair
I've been debating about building a raid system, I have a p67 motherboard. I have an evo ssd for os, is there a way to build a raid hdd for games and are there benefits in speed?? also how would I go about building raid other than the advice beside buying the same ssd or hdd??

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
What do you hope to accomplish with the setup?

More disk space?
Faster load times?
Failure tolerant?

Next how much data will you be using, between games, OS, personal files and "stuff".

Most operating systems with basic programs can use 120GB including a decent game library, but not music, movies, pictures.

Will you store your personal files, inclusive of music, movies, pictures, and other things like phone backups, documents, and scrap programs/files on another drive?

System Name Some computer stuff
Processor Mostly Intel or AMD
Motherboard ATX or mATX
Cooling Bong Cooler
Memory DDR2-4
Video Card(s) A few
Storage Plenty Platters or SSDs or USBs
Display(s) Samsung 23"
Case 5 on the floor
Audio Device(s) There's one for my M7 Gene, Oh I have 3-4 PCI 5.1 ones.Sabrent! lol
Power Supply 750-1000W
Mouse cheap
Keyboard Used ps2 from garage sales
Software Yeah
Benchmark Scores http://hwbot.org/user/schmuckley/#Hardware_Library http://valid.canardpc.com/rbjpbg
a) install IRST for your motherboard that you downloaded from the vendor's site.
b) go into BIOS and set up up array
Yes there are benefits in read/write time and storage capacity.
You could also DL this: http://www.romexsoftware.com/download/PrimoCache.Setup.zip
and set a 2-3GB cache up for the drive you want to use.

SuperSoph_WD

WD Rep
Hey there, @buffyvpsfan!

It's preferable to use specific NAS/RAID HDDs, because they can save you from rebuilding the array which often happens with regular desktop drives. The specific RAID-environment drives have different features and firmware with algorithms that optimize the performance, power and reliability of that drive. They are even tested to run in 24/7 environments. In contrast, the average desktop drives are not optimized for multi-drive systems which have higher noise and vibration levels. If such drives are added to a RAID system, this additional vibration can reduce the life span and reliability.
However, it really depends on what you intend to use the RAID for as @Steevo mentioned. For example, a lot of video editing professionals prefer RAID-ing SSDs because of the intense work on raw files and the needed high speed. But it's a rather pricey configuration and most of the time unnecessary for other RAID users.
Since you are looking for speed, then RAID 0 (striping) is what would suit you best. It enhances performance, speed and all the storage capacity is usable unlike other RAID configurations, but it has no fault-tolerance and failure in just one disk can result in loss of all the data on the array. So I'd recommend not to keep anything important on it.

Hope this helped. Keep us posted with your decision! :)
SuperSoph_WD

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
I've been debating about building a raid system, I have a p67 motherboard. I have an evo ssd for os, is there a way to build a raid hdd for games and are there benefits in speed?? also how would I go about building raid other than the advice beside buying the same ssd or hdd??
You shouldn't be considering RAID if your only goal is performance. If performance is your goal, a SSD will do nicely. RAID is really intended to minimize downtime and to provide fault tolerance. If performance is your goal, don't go with RAID because RAID-0 doesn't help where things matter (such as random 4k IOPs) and you would be much better off just getting a larger SSD. Not to mention you increase the likelihood that your computer will take a nose dive into the floor if you lose a drive in RAID-0.

So before you do anything else explain this for me: Why do you think you need RAID?
Hey there, @buffyvpsfan!

It's preferable to use specific NAS/RAID HDDs, because they can save you from rebuilding the array which often happens with regular desktop drives. The specific RAID-environment drives have different features and firmware with algorithms that optimize the performance, power and reliability of that drive. They are even tested to run in 24/7 environments. In contrast, the average desktop drives are not optimized for multi-drive systems which have higher noise and vibration levels. If such drives are added to a RAID system, this additional vibration can reduce the life span and reliability.
However, it really depends on what you intend to use the RAID for as @Steevo mentioned. For example, a lot of video editing professionals prefer RAID-ing SSDs because of the intense work on raw files and the needed high speed. But it's a rather pricey configuration and most of the time unnecessary for other RAID users.
Since you are looking for speed, then RAID 0 (striping) is what would suit you best. It enhances performance, speed and all the storage capacity is usable unlike other RAID configurations, but it has no fault-tolerance and failure in just one disk can result in loss of all the data on the array. So I'd recommend not to keep anything important on it.

Hope this helped. Keep us posted with your decision! :)
SuperSoph_WD
I'm reluctant to recommend any kind of RAID until I know why the OP needs it. More often than not, people who think they need RAID really don't. Also TLER is nice when drives don't spin up very quickly but drives in WD Blacks (like the ones in my tower, despite lack of TLER) run flawlessly in RAID-5 with RSTe.

Tallencor

TPU's First Patreon
Supporter
System Name Francis
Processor 7700k @5.0 delid
Motherboard Rog Maximus IX Code
Cooling Corsair H100i V2
Memory 32 GB Gskill Trident Z RGB 3200 xmp
Video Card(s) MSI RX 480 Gaming x 8G
Storage Samsung960evo250GB os Samsung 860 evo 500GB (Games)Samsung 840 120 (Storage)
Display(s) Viewsonic XG 2701 Freesync
Case Corsair Crystal 570x
Audio Device(s) On board Supreme FX
Power Supply Evga 850 G3
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Logitech G810
Software Win 10 Home 64
Benchmark Scores 11+12=19?

This is how I have always felt about Raid. Scary chance of me messing something up. I am interested to see how this thread develops.

SuperSoph_WD

WD Rep
You shouldn't be considering RAID if your only goal is performance. If performance is your goal, a SSD will do nicely. RAID is really intended to minimize downtime and to provide fault tolerance. If performance is your goal, don't go with RAID because RAID-0 doesn't help where things matter (such as random 4k IOPs) and you would be much better off just getting a larger SSD. Not to mention you increase the likelihood that your computer will take a nose dive into the floor if you lose a drive in RAID-0.

So before you do anything else explain this for me: Why do you think you need RAID?

I'm reluctant to recommend any kind of RAID until I know why the OP needs it. More often than not, people who think they need RAID really don't. Also TLER is nice when drives don't spin up very quickly but drives in WD Blacks (like the ones in my tower, despite lack of TLER) run flawlessly in RAID-5 with RSTe.

Can't argue with that one, @Aquinus ! You are right. The OP does need to explain the purpose for the RAID.
He can most probably get away with a much simpler storage solution and avoid the scary chance of messing something up as @Tallencor mentioned. :D
I'm glad that your tower works flawlessly with the WD Blacks though. I guess you are taking good care of it. :)

System Name Buffyvpsfan
Processor i7 5820k oc 4.3ghz
Motherboard MSI gaming 7 X99
Cooling NZXT H41 single radiator
Memory 16gb ddr4
Video Card(s) asus gtx 970 4gb GDDR5
Storage samsung evo 840 120gb ssd, 1 tb HDD
Display(s) Acer XR341CK
Case NZXT h440 red
Power Supply 1200 crosair
im running out of space on my hdd my 1 tb only has 130 gb left and my Samsung evo 840 ssd 120gb only has about 40 gb left. I need more space and more performance, speed was what I am trying to achieve. wth more games being 40gbs going all ssd is very expensive, which was why I was considering hdd raid. I might just get more ssds, but bang for the dollar im not sure if its such a wise idea with games like shadows of mordor poping up more and more.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
More performance, get a bigger SSD. More space, get a bigger drive. It's really that simple. The only reason I did RAID-0 with my SSDs is because at the time 120GB SSDs were considerably cheaper than 240GBs, that's not the case so much anymore. I do however recommend RAID-5 if most of what you'll be doing is reading. RAID-5 gives RAID-0 like read speeds, but because of parity data, writes take longer and are slower. The biggest benefit to RAID-5 is linear read speeds and fault tolerance but you lose one disk of space due to parity.

For RAID, you'll want the same kind of drives, so a new bigger HDD and a new and bigger SSD might actually cost less than going with the RAID options as well. I would just add a 240GB SSD and a 2TB drive to the drives you have now then figure out a backup plan after, but I don't see you being in a position where fault tolerance will be worth the shortcomings of going with RAID.

...or to keep it simple: If you don't care about fault tolerance, than you shouldn't really care about RAID. You shouldn't use it unless you need it.