• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HyperSLI (Enabling SLI on non-sli motherboards)

System Name Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Processor AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition
Motherboard Asus Crosshair IV Extreme
Cooling Corsair H100
Memory 8GB G.Skill Flare F3-16000CL7Q-4GBFLS (4 x 2GB)
Video Card(s) 3 x EVGA GTX 460 FTW EE
Storage 1 Western Digital Velociraptor 64MB 600GB SATA III
Display(s) ASUS VG278H 27"
Case Lian Li A77FA Silver
Power Supply Super Flower SF1200P-14HE 1200Watts Crystal Twilight
Software Games+++
Hey Chris,
Download the newest driver from Nvidia.
here is the link to the newest driver uninstaller program http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html
What u should do is install this program first but do not use it yet.
After that uninstall your Nvidia driver in your configuration screen from windows.
Reboot in safe mode and use the Display Driver Uninstaller program to get rid of all left over parts of driver in your registry and on your harddrive.
I believe its the middle option which also says (highly recommended). Also select PHYSX as shown.
U should read well how this program works so you wont do anything stupid before u use it.
Disconnect your network internet cable so you wont get the annoying driver update from windows when u reboot again.

This is in no way CCleaner, this is really ment for Drivers.
CCleaner is for all your registry cleaning and im not a fan of it to be honest, but suit yourself.

here is the link to DifferentSLI 1.1 http://www.mediafire.com/download/c27fdatla4m5w5b/DifferentSLIAuto1.1.zip
Download the file, unpack it and read the included Readme file. It explains perfectly, step by step what to do.

So rebooted and u have no driver installed yet.
Now u can install your Nvidia driver. Dont reboot afterwards.
Now do step by step what the readme file says from DifferentSLI.
After you have patched and used the patch the program will ask you to reboot.
Now you can reboot and plug in your network internet cable.

If everything went ok you can select SLI in your configuration screen from Nvidia.
And your all done :)

I cannot answer your question if you have to have HyperSLI or not.
But from what i can read in your information you probably will need HyperSLI to get the SLI working and that program needs the SLI bridge to make it work.
Its gonna be trial and error to find out how to get it working.

This should be enough information to make it work.
Good luck :)

Hi Michael !
I have installed DifferentSliAuto. It works perfectly. I can to have 3-Way SLI with my 3 EVGA GTX 460 cards, but now, at the bottom right it is indicated "Test Mode Windows 7 Build 7601" on the desktop.

why and what is that? (My windows is original and activated) this problem is every time after the installation of the DifferentSLIAuto. I have the UAC desabled first, before to run DifferentSLIAuto 1.1.

I have found the solution-process to remove this message "Test Mode Windows 7 Build 7601", but when I run this process (like this :http://www.askvg.com/disable-test-m...600-message-watermark-from-windows-7-desktop/ ) to remove this message, after, the Nvidia drivers are not any more apply with my graphiccards. The picture of the screen is like as when you have no drivers installed.

Now I have a restauration of my Windows 7, and it work without DifferentSLIAuto.

Can you help me to install the DifferentSLIAuto without this message "Test Mode Windows 7 Build 7601" ?

Thank you for your help.
Best regards

Last edited:
System Name Core i7 980
Processor Intel Core i7 980 @ 6x4.0 Ghz - 1.33vcore
Motherboard Asus P6T SE
Cooling Corsair h50
Memory 12 GB DDR3 Kingston Hyper X 1600mhz
Video Card(s) Asus Geforce Gtx 670 non OC version - GPU: +154 Memory: +400
Storage OCZ Vertex 3 SSD 120GB + 1TB WD Black + 2TB WD green + 4TB Seagate
Display(s) 28" old school LCD full hd @ 60hz
Case Fractal Design Define R3 Black
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply SEASONIC 850W X-850 80plus Gold
Software Windows 7 Pro 64 bit
Benchmark Scores Unigine Valley 1.0 - Ultra - 4xAA - 1080p - 2454p; AvP Bench - Very High 4xAA - 1080p - 67.1fps
Guys, do you need physically connect the cards with SLI cable in order to get it work?

Devill23

Guys, do you need physically connect the cards with SLI cable in order to get it work?

Yep you need SLI cabe to connect the cards. On the new mobo's u dont need it in any case there are some that they comunicate thru the slots so you dont need cabel.

michael_johns

Hello, I have managed to get my sli working however there is very little improvement and im getting alot of lag spikes. Does anyone have any knowledge off i how i could fix this? I couldnt get hypersli to work so i used Differentsli 1.1

my pc parts

intel 4670K
2x palit gtx 660ti
msi h97 gaming 3
2x 4gb corsair vengeance

thank you

System Name Cooler Master Elite (case name)
Processor Amd 1090T X6 3.2Ghz
Motherboard Asus m4a89gtd pro/usb3
Cooling oversize fans
Memory 16 gigs ddr3 2000Mhz
Video Card(s) 2 - nvidia gtx 560's sli 2 gigs each video memory
Storage 6 - terabytes sata
Display(s) samsung syncmaster 2330 hd monitor
Case coolermaster elite
Audio Device(s) realtek on-board
Power Supply coolermaster 1000 watts
Software windows 7 64- bit enterprise
Benchmark Scores not available at this time.
Hello, I have managed to get my sli working however there is very little improvement and im getting alot of lag spikes. Does anyone have any knowledge off i how i could fix this? I couldnt get hypersli to work so i used Differentsli 1.1

my pc parts

intel 4670K
2x palit gtx 660ti
msi h97 gaming 3
2x 4gb corsair vengeance

thank you

hypersli doesn't support any video drivers past 335.23, hyper sli needs to be updated to support newer drivers, I've asked about the source code, but nobody has responded so far, try different sli, I'm going to keep using hyper sli
as long as my games run ok.

michael_johns

i am using differentsli now however i am getting about 3fps avg increase. should i install an older driver?

Cooling oversize fans
Case coolermaster elite
I'm doing pretty well with 335.23, and I'm running hypersli, I'd say give it a try, you can always go back to where you are now if things don't work any better.

Cooling oversize fans
Case coolermaster elite
I finally went with differentsli1.1, I'm running cod/aw and nvidia had released a new driver update, while migration from hypersli to differentsli was successful, I now have on my desktop in small
letters 'test mode windows 7 build 7601', while it's not particularly obtrusive, and it's only on the desktop (doesn't show up in games for example), hyper sli didn't do this, I'd go back to hypersli
in a second if it were updated for current video drivers, I'd like to try updating it myself if I could get the source code, someone will have to show me at least once what to look for and how to
update the required code in hypersli, but I'm willing, can't guarantee I'd be successful, but at least I'm willing to try.

Marshall_lockjaw

i can't even do different sli auto it just refuses to work on my current system. the last time it did run and enabled in the nvidia control panel i tested it on a number of games and i'd only get one card at 95% and the other just idles.
i wonder if the old sli patch does anything?

Cooling oversize fans
Case coolermaster elite
That issue might be because you don't have the right compatibility bit set for the game your running, I'm getting good scaling on my 2 560's with different sli, but as I said in my earlier post, you could try hypersli again
but you'll have to install 335.23 drivers, that's the last driver revision supported.

Tomcatciller

Why Hypersli don´t support drivers beyond 335.23 ? Did Nvidia change the driver Sli architecture? Any chances that newest drivers like 344.75 WHQL will work? Or is Hypersli lost forever regarding to new Nvidia drivers?

I did a comparison session to determine if it was worth it to upgrade to the latest v344 Nvidia graphics driver and use DifferentSLI 1.1, or instead stick to v335 and HyperSLI 1.0.
The hardware vitualization mode of HyperSLI proves to outperform it's software mode in any benchmark, and also DifferentSLI which performs in software mode as well.
I tested this with 2x Asus GTX660DC2T
Results:

DifferentSLI with Nvidia driver v344 - HyperSLI with Nvidia driver v335/software - HyperSLI with Nvidia driver v335/hardware

3Dmark 1.3.708

Fire Strike 6999 7265 7597
Sky Diver 18937 19806 20937
Cloud Gate 20646 18272 20691​
Ice Storm 73066 103202 118342
Conclusion:
Considerations on which combination to use are really a personal thing here.
Different hardware setups could yield very different results.

What Hardware do you run IMweasel?

It is very hard to see most recent nvidia drivers dont work, because new "mantle /dx12" like drivers reduce driver overload and improve cpu performance. This is hardly needed for many HyperSli rigs, because of the lack of cpu power compared to the two graphic cards... :(

Greets

TCC

Last edited:
Cooling oversize fans
Case coolermaster elite
Why Hypersli don´t support drivers beyond 335.23 ? Did Nvidia change the driver Sli architecture? Any chances that newest drivers like 344.75 WHQL will work? Or is Hypersli lost forever regarding to new Nvidia drivers?

Nvidia changed something in their later drivers because everytime I tried later versions with hypersli I lost my sli functionality, hypersli needs to be updated to support the later drivers, but the source code
doesn't seem to be available, I'm now using differentsli which works fine for me with the latest drivers, the only complaint I have is now on the lower right hand corner of my desktop I have the
small text 'Test mode Windows 7 build 7601'. I'd recommend going with different sli for now, I'm running 344.75 with sli mode available. And I'm running a crossfire system.

You can get different sli here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/c27fdatla4m5w5b/DifferentSLIAuto1.1.zip

Cooling oversize fans
Case coolermaster elite
i can't even do different sli auto it just refuses to work on my current system. the last time it did run and enabled in the nvidia control panel i tested it on a number of games and i'd only get one card at 95% and the other just idles.
i wonder if the old sli patch does anything?

Sli mode for you is probably active, what is more then likely causing your scaling problem is you need to set a compatibility bit in the dx11 field of the sli profile of the game you're running, I use nvidia
inspector for this. I've ran accross your problem too, but once I entered the right bit, scaling was good for me.

Cooling oversize fans
Case coolermaster elite
Sli mode for you is probably active, what is more then likely causing your scaling problem is you need to set a compatibility bit in the dx11 field of the sli profile of the game you're running, I use nvidia
inspector for this. I've ran accross your problem too, but once I entered the right bit, scaling was good for me.

Quick note, I just tried different sli 11 with the latest beta drivers from nvidia, (347.09 I think), and it won't patch, going back to 344.75 for now, please update different sli.
Thanks!

Cooling oversize fans
Case coolermaster elite
guys, we are fucked
If someone doesn't update either hypersli or different sli, you're right, I also sent a message to the maintainer of different sli, but I haven't gotten a response yet.

wblo

guys, we are fucked

I have the sinking feeling that you're right. A friend helped me put together a system which included his old pair of GTX 560 Ti GPUs and some new bits which unfortunately included an AMD 970-based motherboard that will only do Crossfire, not SLI.

So, because of my particular configuration there IS no other option than HyperSLI. The other SLI hacks don't enable SLI on a non-SLI motherboard, they only make cards that normally don't work together in SLI work on motherboards that support SLI to begin with!

HyperSLI is the only thing that worked, but as the nVidia drivers soldier on past the HyperSLI cutoff version it becomes a less and less viable solution, in addition to all the oddities (I can no longer use applications that use Virtualization, like VirtualBox) and system crashes I pin on this thoroughly unexplained & undocumented (Would it have killed him to explain, even generally, how it works?) hack job.

I know, I know, it's rude to complain about free software and the author owes me precisely nothing. And his unexplained & undocumented hack job is better than nothing. I really do wish that instead of ducking out and disappearing with his code he turned it over to someone else, especially since he was making no money off of it to begin with and because he has absolutely no interest in it anymore.

As for me, I can't afford a new GPU that would exceed the performance of the two 560s in half-assed SLI, and I do get a solid 20-30 percent more performance with the second 560 (the AMD 970 doesn't have enough PCI-E lanes to run two cards in x16)...and on a budget system I'm already disadvantaged and can't really just throw away 20-30 percent. Going down to one GPU would be a definite downgrade, although my system might be more stable in general.

I signed up for the forums to write this just so I could subscribe to this thread and get any updates, but I get the feeling I'm just going to be on version 335.23 of the nVidia drivers until I get a new system.

Cooling oversize fans
Case coolermaster elite
It looks like both hypersli and differentsli have been abandoned (at least to me) I still haven't heard back from the maintainer, so hopefully as a start I did a compare between patched and unpatched nvlddmkm.sys
from 344.75. See attached text file. Maybe this will get something good started.

Attachments

• out.txt
    60 KB · Views: 569

MrMiniBeast

Hey, I installed HyperSLI completely and it says its working, but I installed a second EVGA GTX 660 in my mobo and the device manager wont recognize it.
My mobo is a Gigabyte 970A-UD3P
Any help is appreciated.

Cooling oversize fans
Case coolermaster elite
The reason hypersli isn't working is because the last driver version it supported was 335.23, however if the 2nd video board isn't even being reported in the device manager, I'm wondering if the bios/motherboard even supports
2 video boards, you could try pulling the boards out and installing only 1 board and see if it's reported, then swap the boards and see if the other board is reported, if they both are, then it sounds like your mb
won't support 2 boards installed at the same time, if that's the case try updating your bios, but even if you get that problem resolved, you'll have to install nvidia driver version 335.23 for hyper sli to work at all,
and those drivers are pretty old, either hypersli or different sli will have to be updated for continued support. I'd go with different sli myself, it supports up to 344.75, which are current, but
the last drivers released it won't.

Last edited:

MrMiniBeast

The reason hypersli isn't working is because the last driver version it supported was 335.23, however if the 2nd video board isn't even being reported in the device manager, I'm wondering if the bios/motherboard even supports
2 video boards, you could try pulling the boards out and installing only 1 board and see if it's reported, then swap the boards and see if the other board is reported, if they both are, then it sounds like your mb
won't support 2 boards installed at the same time, if that's the case try updating your bios, but even if you get that problem resolved, you'll have to install nvidia driver version 335.23 for hyper sli to work at all,
and those drivers are pretty old, either hypersli or different sli will have to be updated for continued support. I'd go with different sli myself, it supports up to 344.75, which are current, but
the last drivers released it won't.

My board should support 2 GPUs because it is able to run crossfire. It has two PCI slots as well, so that shouldn't be the problem.

Cooling oversize fans
Case coolermaster elite
Ok good, I would go with different sli 11 it supports later drivers then hypersli, there should be a download link in this forum.

Franco

good night , I'm from Brazil and I use the program ( diferent self SLI ) in a gigabyte mother board GAB75MD3H and two GTX660 zotac and only works with version 320.18 NVidea and when I want to play assassisn creed unity of the drive error and stops working , Nvidea recently launched in the update 347.09 but if I upgrade because the game I lose SLI , you have some version of ( diferent sli ) that supports the latest drivers ? sorry my inglish

Cooling oversize fans
Case coolermaster elite
No the latest driver version I've been able to use with different sli is 344.75, it will have to be updated for driver support past this version.