• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Choose R9 290 Series for its 512-bit Memory Bus: AMD

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
I honestly do NOT understand what exactly you are laughing for. Nvidia drivers send signals to any display which differ to what ATi Catalyst does.
Actually, I use the default colour, brightness, gamma, etc settings on my AMD rig and I have to manually reduce brightness and adjust contrast accordingly on my Nvia machine because the screen image looks unnatural.

What is so funny about it? Maybe that you didn't get anything from the article itself and the methodology they used? :D

No apologies at all, man.

The thread should be:

Choose R9 290 Series for its superior image quality compared to competition's: AMD

One problem with that...... it simply isn't true and I am an AMD man! If you read my post you will see that unless you tamper it's pretty much technically impossible.

Processor AMD FX-8320
Motherboard AsRock 970 PRO3 R2.0
Cooling Thermalright Ultra120 eXtreme + 2 LED Green fans
Memory 2 x 4096 MB DDR3-1333 A-Data
Video Card(s) SAPPHIRE 4096M R9 FURY X 4G D5
Storage ST1000VX000 • SV35.6 Series™ 1000 GB 7200 rpm
Display(s) Acer S277HK wmidpp 27" 4K (3840 x 2160) IPS
Case Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus Black + Red Lights
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek
Power Supply OCZ ProXStream 1000W
Mouse Genius NetScroll 100X
Keyboard Logitech Wave
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
One problem with that...... it simply isn't true and I am an AMD man! If you read my post you will see that unless you tamper it's pretty much technically impossible.

First, what you quoted with that "computer" does this, that..... it is bullshit because it is not the computer but the software it is running.
Even if you have the OS wanting something, or the game wanting something, you always have the driver of the corresponding manufacturer which is like a translator and a link for understanding between the hardware itself, the OS, the game, etc.

And what the hell has the fact that you are an AMD man anything to do with your wrong point?

It isn't "may" but it is a fact.

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Software Win 10 Home x64
First, what you quoted with that "computer" does this, that..... it is bullshit because it is not the computer but the software it is running.
Even if you have the OS wanting something, or the game wanting something, you always have the driver of the corresponding manufacturer which is like a translator and a link for understanding between the hardware itself, the OS, the game, etc.

And what the hell has the fact that you are an AMD man anything to do with your wrong point?

It isn't "may" but it is a fact.
No actually the facts speak for themselves, if you have seen the visuals from both cards and feel that AMD reproduces better then yes the drivers factor but only if users have set there own preferences using those drivers and every individual user who does so has there own visual preferences, some set for performance, some for quality and therefore you can't really make comparisons unless of course you have seen every setup, if CCC, NVidia control panel or any 3rd party software is not used then as the link says, colour reproduction defaults to the OS for commands, hence the "clean" method for testing digital colour reproduction which can be the only "safe" method. I mentioned I am an AMD man because you simply come across as a fanboi who refuses to acknowledge facts and seems therefore blinded by your own misguided logic.

The last time I had an NVidia card it was a 560Ti, I also had in my 2nd rig at the time a HD5850, I set my settings to highest quality on whatever card and whilst my monitors were different of course they were both DVi cabled, both were of the same resolution and similar quality and I could see no differences, perhaps you have seen differences in setup's you have seen but as I said that may well have been down to individual settings so in this case we can agree to disagree.

Processor AMD FX-8320
Motherboard AsRock 970 PRO3 R2.0
Cooling Thermalright Ultra120 eXtreme + 2 LED Green fans
Memory 2 x 4096 MB DDR3-1333 A-Data
Video Card(s) SAPPHIRE 4096M R9 FURY X 4G D5
Storage ST1000VX000 • SV35.6 Series™ 1000 GB 7200 rpm
Display(s) Acer S277HK wmidpp 27" 4K (3840 x 2160) IPS
Case Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus Black + Red Lights
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek
Power Supply OCZ ProXStream 1000W
Mouse Genius NetScroll 100X
Keyboard Logitech Wave
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
:banghead:

The difference is pretty well stated in the article:

"As usual the Nvidia card sent out completely the wrong colour signal to the monitor, washing out colours and hugely reducing contrast."

They never said that it was their individual preset but the default setting when you have an nvidia card. :banghead:

Basically you are doing three things.

1. Accusing for lying and arguing with other writers at https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/aoc-i2369vm/;
2. Claiming something that is irrelevant - that if you uninstall nvidia's drivers, then you will see one and the same image quality.
And even then, I am not sure whether that's true because Microsoft have also their drivers and I'm not sure whether it is one and the same for both vendors;

3. Confirming what I am saying.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
AMD videocards give you better image quality and it's pretty obviously proven here:

https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/aoc-i2369vm/
To quote your own source:
To rectify this and make everything look as it should for PC use the following steps should be taken in Nvidia Control Panel.
If you want to avoid having to do these little tweaks in the graphics driver then make use of the monitor’s DisplayPort.

So no only is there a workaround, this isn't impacted by DisplayPort devices. That's a pretty piss poor reason to choose AMD over nVidia for that one, insignificant, reason. Even more so if it's an issue that can corrected.
What is so funny about it? Maybe that you didn't get anything from the article itself and the methodology they used? :D
That is a review of a monitor, or did I miss something? The name "nVidia" doesn't show up anywhere in that article except for the quote you posted:
We also briefly tested the monitor using an Nvidia GTX 670 just to see if there were any obvious colour differences. As usual the Nvidia card sent out completely the wrong colour signal to the monitor, washing out colours and hugely reducing contrast. To rectify this and make everything look as it should for PC use the following steps should be taken in Nvidia Control Panel.

So how about finding some "testing methodology" that actually tests what you're complaining about instead of cherry picking non-relevant articles.

The thread title should be:
Factless bantering about AMD and NVidia GPUs.

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Software Win 10 Home x64
I think you are misunderstanding me and the link I posted, perhaps I didn't explain myself very well so I will try again............ If you use either cards and with that use either CCC, NVidia Control panel, a 3rd party piece of software or simply your monitors calibration either through software or monitor controls there are too many variables to make accurately the assumption in every case that one's image or colour reproduction is better than another, so we use our eyes of course and they tell us. As a simple example, if we were both playing BF4 in the same house and we both had the same monitors, the same cabling etc and you were running a 290X and I was running lets say a 970, you could walk into my room, look at me gaming and say damn my image quality seems to be better than yours and you may well be right but unless you know what presets and settings I had invoked through the control panel (yes at the driver level) then it's moot, it is very difficult to reproduce all of those factors I mentioned earlier in the real world.

I am not accusing any article of lying, merely stating that in order to do a clean comparison and hence remove all of those variables the link I posted sought to test at the hardware level and there was no difference, I acknowledge what you are saying about at the software (driver) level but it is not easily and fairly measurable, in my opinion in different scenarios with different games/apps it's likely there will be different results. My "old" eyes really didn't see any differences when I had the 2 rigs. Also even when you are using driver level software it is still the OS that is communicating with the hardware and software, the command for both systems would be the same as my link discussed but with NVidia Control panel or CCC their execution would be different depending on settings.

So in summary, all I am saying is that there are too many variables in my opinion at the software level to accurately reflect visuals for ALL users of these graphics cards, hence why we seem to get different views.

perhaps we should now move back to the topic of the bus size of AMD cards!

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
Thread needs cleaning, so much crap.

Also lookup the GTX970 utilization issues Nvidia is having.
Look in the other "game ready" thread, Nvidia doesn't give the options for bit depth, and other enhancements.

I would still take one in a heartbeat, just to see if I liked it of course.

System Name Windows 10 64-bit Core i7 6700
Processor Intel Core i7 6700
Motherboard Asus Z170M-PLUS
Cooling Corsair AIO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Kingston DDR4 2666
Video Card(s) Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB, Seagate Baracuda 1 TB
Display(s) Dell P2414H
Case Corsair Carbide Air 540
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair TX v2 650W
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard CM Storm Quickfire Pro, Cherry MX Reds
Software MS Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Also lookup the GTX970 utilization issues Nvidia is having.
Thanks for this, didn't know people have to modify the low power state voltages in card's bios to get it stable at low loads when overclocked ... even if it's a factory overclock.