• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Unlocked Realtek HD Audio Drivers Windows 7 & 8 (With Dolby Digital Live and DTS Interactive)

mago

Thanks for your reply.

I have no header module connected in my mobo, what should i buy? i did a search on some online stores, but i don't think that what i found is what i need, just some cables similar to this

http://images.computeraudiophile.com/graphics/2010/0208/IMG_0078.JPG

For my system, i bought 5.1 speakers, and when trying to improve my sound configuration on windows and looking for tips on internet, i ended here and also thought on upgrading the sound card, so i can really appreciate the speakers.

I didn't know what the "live" thing on Dolby or DTS meant until your reply and reading on wikipedia lol, i just knew that i don't have a Dolby or DTS option and that i want that.

So yes, my main use would be for movies, i watched one with 5.1 days ago, and sound was good on all speakers, but i guess since i don't have the module or sound card, im not really getting that 5.1 right?

Based on you reply, getting the DX for $20-30usd more i think, seems a good investment, but if im going to invest more, do you know a better option? I thought on the Xonar DG, because has good reviews and price, but maybe is something better than the Xonar DX in the same price range?

Thanks

Hi, if all you intend to use it for is movies, then the basic and modded realtek drivers will pass the digitally encoded audio track to the amp using SPDIF, once of cause you have said cable such as that example in the pic you linked to.

If you wish to go the dedicated route, then the Asus Xonar D2X is also a good card, but it is 3x the price of the DX, both of which support Dolby Digital Live and DTS Connect/Live, avoid however the DG and the DGX as these do not support this feature.

When using digital out the quality of the soundcard is less important so a cheap card may do like the DX, as the sound processing is offloaded to the digital amp/receiver

Here is a the low down on the Xonar range...
The DSX is a good card, tho it supports only DTS connect, the D2X support both DTS and DDL.
Code:
Model         Interface         Dolby Live         DTS Connect
D1               PCI                Yes                 No
DG               PCI                No                  No
DS               PCI                No                  Yes
D2/PM            PCI                Yes                 Yes
DX               PCI-E              Yes                 No
D2X              PCI-E              Yes                 Yes
DGX              PCI-E              No                  No
DSX              PCI-E              No                  Yes
Xense            PCI-E              Yes                 No

I have a Xonar DX myself which work with optical Dolby Digital Live, however I prefer to use the Realtek optical with DTS as the Realtek can support both DDL and DTS, I find the DTS to be a bit richer in sound, likely due to the way its encoded.

Last edited:

matthewrex

Hello all,

Following this tutorial (http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=391553), I've managed to get this working. It's insanely complex, but I have working DTS 5.1 audio in Far Cry 4! The only issue I'm having now is that every time I restart, the driver becomes unusable due to the Windows Driver Signing nonsense, even when it's running in test mode.

The only way I've been able to get it working again is by rebooting via the Windows Startup settings(http://www.howtogeek.com/167723/how...8.1-so-that-you-can-install-unsigned-drivers/) and doing this every time is kind of a pain. Does anyone have any hints about a better way to do this? The Realtek drivers have like 30-40 files, and I'm not sure signing them with DSEO will actually fix it...

matthewrex, stick windows in test mode, uninstall all existing realtek drivers, install these... https://www.sendspace.com/file/e5tmix
You will need to remain in test mode for the drivers to work.
If it works you shall be able to select DTS Connect and Dolby Digital Live from the Realtek control/audio panel.

Good Luck

Is there a reason DDL/DTSI doesn't work with an ALC1150 under Win7/8/8.1? I have an X99 board with licensed DTS Interactive support, but it's broken and it appears I'm not alone. It outputs 2.0 when activated. I've found other threads with ALC1150 owners who report the same, with both officially licensed motherboards and with unlocked support. When testing in the control panel, it doesn't even attempt to output the other channels. My AVR detects it and locks onto it like a typical 5.1 stream, but it's strictly stereo.

I had working DDL/DTSI with an XFI card in the past (under Windows 7). Now, because of an unrelated problem with HDMI audio, I can't even fall back on the shoddy compromise of sending real-time encoded 5.1 DTS/DDL to my 7.1 system in order to enjoy positional audio in games. It seems the ALC1150 is quite broken in the way that matters to me the most. If this is driver-related, and it probably is, it's been broken for a long time to go untreated... I miss my 889.

Edit:

OK, I took the 2.71 stock driver installer and added in 2.71 M1 drivers and it's working perfectly now. DDL and DTSC both work. To reiterate, this is an 8.1 x64 X99 system with ALC1150.

The DTSC test tone only playing 2.0 in the Sound CPL actually meant nothing and I understand why it happens now. Selectiong SPDIF as default device forces the Windows speaker setting to 2.0, and while the test tone only plays two channels when set to DTSC/DDL, games with proper APIs utilize all 5.1 channels. This is the nature of the way Realtek handles real-time encoding. On a Creative chipset, when you wish to use DTSC/DDL you specify analog as the default output device. When enabled, DTSC/DDL is rerouted through the analog device so that the sound CPL and games with inflexible audio APIs utilize your specified Windows speaker configuration.

Unless the game allows you to select a speaker configuration or has proper detection (ie. it doesn't simple ask Windows default device speaker setting), it will default to stereo (2.0). So far OpenAL/Rapture3D games I've tested are working and XAudio2 games that rely on control panel setting are failing. The former group includes the STALKER series and Unreal Tournament 3, and the latter includes The Vanishing of Ethan Carter and RAGE. This is a flaw with certain APIs (namely XAudio2 but likely some others, I fear) which Creative works around (probably unintentionally--as if Creative, the murderers of Aureal3D, would do good on purpose :p). The Realtek application of DTSC/DDL isn't necessarily flawed as the fault lies with the flawed API (XAudio2), but I wish it utilized the reroute workaround for the sake of compatibility, even if it's an unorthodox hack.

I realize I'm talking to myself at this point, but what's worse than a person like me saying "Oh, I figured out my problem!" without offering a solution? When someone comes across the thread searching for solutions they'll find a post with a hidden solution. So here's a hex edit workaround to force 5.1 DDL detection in XAudio2:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...48f4-b08b-9946700763fe?rtAction=1400505261779

Note that on a newer version of XAudio2 detection seems to be fixed. Far Cry 3, for example, correctly detects DDL and doesn't require the corresponding XAudio2 DLL be hex-edited. I suggest only hex editing the older XAudio2 DLLs that you know are afflicted. If I spend much time on this and have enough games installed at the moment to properly test (~800 should do, no?), I'll provide a list of XAudio2 versions and if they're afflicted with shoddy detection or not.

Last edited:

mago

Well my Asus DS arrived today, it has good sound, but lol noob me, my speakers don't have SPDIF anyways so the DS isn't encoding to dts... i found that there are decoders for SPDIF to analog, but i only find with RCA outputs, you know if there are for 3.5mm jacks? The speakers im using are the logitech z506 they are 5.1, but im still not getting true dts right?

Well my Asus DS arrived today, it has good sound, but lol noob me, my speakers don't have SPDIF anyways so the DS isn't encoding to dts... i found that there are decoders for SPDIF to analog, but i only find with RCA outputs, you know if there are for 3.5mm jacks? The speakers im using are the logitech z506 they are 5.1, but im still not getting true dts right?

Run them analog. If analog 5.1 (or 7.1) was possible for my situation, I'd use that instead of DTSI/DDL SPDIF for all but bit-streaming of native DTS/DD content (such as in movies). I wouldn't bitstream to my AVR for improved sound quality over analog, but just to simplify the PC side setup so I wouldn't have to decode on the PC. DTSI and DDL are just mediocre workarounds, mostly useful for gamers who have an AVR with no analog multi-channel inputs. Only use DTSI/DDL if you must or if you somehow have the world's noisiest analog outputs (you don't) where DTSI/DDL might actually sound better.

Unless you have an AVR which can decode DTS/DD, just forgot about SPDIF. Sending DTSI/DDL to an AVR over SPDIF when the content is already natively encoded DTS/DD is absolutely pointless.

Edit: I don't mean to be mean, but after reading your earlier posts, I see no reason for you to use DTSI/DDL at all. Your new soundcard might have quieter analog outs than your onboard chipset and therefore may theoretically sound better, I don't know, but if you only bought it for DTSI/DDL, I'd consider sending it back because you have no use for it. Delphium did not steer you wrong considering the information he had. I think he was under the impression you had an AVR with digital input. An AVR is necessary to decode the DTS signal, if it comes from a movie's soundtrack or from a real-time encoded bitstream like DTSI or DDL.

Last edited:

mago

Thanks for your reply galneon, and no, you were not mean and neither delphium steer me wrong. as i said im a noob on this and i just thought that DTS/DD and SPDIF were (are?) better than the current audio i have and i aimed to get that.

Thanks for your reply galneon, and no, you were not mean and neither delphium steer me wrong. as i said im a noob on this and i just thought that DTS/DD and SPDIF were (are?) better than the current audio i have and i aimed to get that.

You watched that movie with a 5.1 soundtrack and it sounded good to you (your PC decoded the DTS/DD so an analog signal could be sent to your speakers), so it looks like you're all set for your purposes, and if you did want to do some gaming ever, your 5.1 analog connection beats my 5.1 SPDIF connection any day ;) Your new card probably has better analog outs than the onboard chipset. Looks like you're good now.

Delphium did not steer you wrong considering the information he had. I think he was under the impression you had an AVR with digital input. An AVR is necessary to decode the DTS signal, if it comes from a movie's soundtrack or from a real-time encoded bitstream like DTSI or DDL.

This is spot on, mago first suggested he had a mobo with a missing SPDIF header he was looking to use, and given this thread is predominately providing support for those who wish to use 5.1 over SPDIF to an AVR using a Realtek device, I had indeed assumed that mago had an AVR/digital speakers.

Just to be clear mago, if you are intending to use analog audio cables rather than the digital, then the Realtek device using the manufacture provided drivers would work in 5.1 mode, this would be configured in the Realtek control panel or the windows audio device properties, this would of cause mean converting the mic(pink) and line(blue) inputs to outputs (handled by the Realtek drivers) which could be an issue if you wish to use 5.1 and have a microphone plugged in at the same time, although easy to overcome with a usb mic.

So you could have achieved what you were looking to do without the Xonar DS, mago, however the Xonar DS does have better SNR ratios 107db vs 97db for Realtek and of cause also has various other features that you may find useful in the future, including the ability to provide 5.1 output and still have a mic connected should you need and of cause it has native DTS digital output for any digital/AVR system you may upgrade to in the future without the need of having to put windows into driver test mode.

soulweaverr

Hello there Delphium and everyone!, i have a few interesting questions and confusing at the same time, i got this skullcandy 7.1 headphones http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C2B355W/?tag=tec06d-20 as a christmas gift, and i have a lenovoy510p laptop which has DDL 5.1 support through the realktek optical audio out, i also got a mini Toslink converter to plug the optical cable in the laptop through the 3.5 jack, now here comes the problem, i do not have 7.1 support in the realtek audio manager, will these unlocked driver allow me to enable 7.1 in realteak audio manager and hear 7.1 though though the SPDIF (only if the track is decoded right?). And..... if wanted to play games with 7.1 surround sound is there any usb decoder 7.1 for a laptop? would one of this http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004Y0ERRO/?tag=tec06d-20 do the job? and if so.... since it states 7.1 analog , would i still need to plug the cable though the Toslink with the mini adapter in the 3.5 jack ? just an aux 3.5? directly though the standar toslink? I know there are many questions in there, so anythign you might be able to answear will be incredibly appreciated and sorry!

I am trying to work out how to get DDL working with a PX51 wireless 5.1 headset (which accepts optical input only) on an ASRock H87 Pro4 which has:
1) 7.1 ALC892 chipset/codec
2) no optical nor any other form of HD Audio out on the m/b back plate
3) HD Audio via the case front audio jacks connected to the HDA m/b connector

My questions are:
a) Would I be able to get full DDL via the front HD Audio out using a digital coaxial to optical converter? (e.g. http://www.amazon.co_uk/dp/B003OSUXO8/?tag=tec053-21)
b) are there any other solutions for getting DDL via an optical connection from this m/b? It has a 2 pin optical out m/b connector but I cannot find anything that will connect to it...

Thanks!

I am trying to work out how to get DDL working with a PX51 wireless 5.1 headset (which accepts optical input only) on an ASRock H87 Pro4 which has:
1) 7.1 ALC892 chipset/codec
2) no optical nor any other form of HD Audio out on the m/b back plate
3) HD Audio via the case front audio jacks connected to the HDA m/b connector

My questions are:
a) Would I be able to get full DDL via the front HD Audio out using a digital coaxial to optical converter? (e.g. http://www.amazon.co_uk/dp/B003OSUXO8/?tag=tec053-21)
b) are there any other solutions for getting DDL via an optical connection from this m/b? It has a 2 pin optical out m/b connector but I cannot find anything that will connect to it...

Thanks!
According to the manual for your motherboard you have a SPDIF header on the motherboard - manual - ftp://europe.asrock.com/manual/H87%20Pro4.pdf page 10&11, header number 22.
To which you should be able to then connect a SPDIF connector bracket to the header, such as one of these for example - http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=spdif+bracket

Thank you very much Delphium. I searched for something like this but clearly was using the wrong terminology as I found nothing. Now I just need to find this on sale in the uk...

Hello there Delphium and everyone!, i have a few interesting questions and confusing at the same time, i got this skullcandy 7.1 headphones http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C2B355W/?tag=tec06d-20 as a christmas gift, and i have a lenovoy510p laptop which has DDL 5.1 support through the realktek optical audio out, i also got a mini Toslink converter to plug the optical cable in the laptop through the 3.5 jack, now here comes the problem, i do not have 7.1 support in the realtek audio manager, will these unlocked driver allow me to enable 7.1 in realteak audio manager and hear 7.1 though though the SPDIF (only if the track is decoded right?). And..... if wanted to play games with 7.1 surround sound is there any usb decoder 7.1 for a laptop? would one of this http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004Y0ERRO/?tag=tec06d-20 do the job? and if so.... since it states 7.1 analog , would i still need to plug the cable though the Toslink with the mini adapter in the 3.5 jack ? just an aux 3.5? directly though the standar toslink? I know there are many questions in there, so anythign you might be able to answear will be incredibly appreciated and sorry!

Unfortunately I am unable to tell exactly what Realtek audio chipset is used in the laptop.
According to the DDL specification it supports up to 5.1, with Dolby Digital Plus providing the support for 7.1, you could try setting the speaker configuration in windows to 7.1 and then enable DDL mode and see what happens, but this is untested waters for me, my guess is that you will only get 5.1 from games using the headphones when using SPDIF due to the limitation of DDL.

rkk

Would it be possible to unlock the 3.84 drivers too? When I use the modified DLL with 3.84 driver, the Realtek interface doesn't seem to have anything unlocked, and the only way to use DDL/DTS Interactive is by going to Windows Audio Manager and enable it from there but it outputs in STEREO.

Now I installed 2.71 drivers DDL/DTS Interactive is working correctly (And in 5.1) but all the other inputs are screwed. When I plug in my headphones, I can hear the sound in my headphones and the laptop speakers at the same time. I cannot plugin any analog 5.1 speakers anymore, as the laptop speakers never turn off. XiFi MB3 is not working with the 3.71 drivers neither.

Is there any possibility to have the modified drivers updated? Or any workaround to have the input detection fixed and the laptop speakers muted when I plug in any analog input?

Hi, i have a motherboard asus m4a785t-m with optical output, i'd like to have the dts dolby sound but i can't install the driver, it seems the audio chipset in this board is VIA, is there any way i can get the "hack"? i also found a forum where some users were modifying the bios so the board can use dts connect, but the forum was in portuguese, very old and abandoned, if there's no chance to get the dolby dts sound in this board what is the cheapest sound card to do so? thanks.

Mir Aun

I have Acer Aspire e15..
my Realtek Codec is ALC283
the thing is .. Ihave windows 8.1 and the Bass is very low.. i did what this thread shows but my driver stopped working..
i have another laptop that also acer with the same Realtek soundcard. ALC27. something but it has better bass and volume than this laptop..
Is Anybody there can help me with it??
i need better sound and bass :/

accolon

I've successfully installed the drivers but have now this strange problem.

When playing music from Deezer via Internet Explorer all works just fine with both DDL and DTS but when doing the same via Chrome I only get sound from the subwoofer. What might be the cause of this?

System Name hp OMEN X 900-000NX
Processor Intel Core i7-6700K
Motherboard hp Munich-S Z170
Cooling Asetek liquid cooling
Memory 32 GB DDR4-2133 Hynix
Video Card(s) hp GTX1080 Founders
Storage 256GB M2 Samsung (system)+ 1GB SSD WD BLUE edition GAMING(2x500 RAID 0 config)+2TB SATA (storage)
Display(s) LG TV 43 UJ670V active HDR
Case hp OMEN desktop X 900
Audio Device(s) ASUS XONAR DSX (Active) ,SBZ (inactive), onboard Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply hp 600W
Mouse Logitech G620
Keyboard SteelSeries hp OMEN
Software Windows10 64bit hp OMEN edition
I'm happy to report I was able to enable DOLBY DIGITAL LIVE and DTS Connect on msi GT72 2QE Dominator pro powered by Realtek on board sound ALC892.
AMAZING thing you can switch from DTS connect to Dolby Digital Live on flay by selecting which one you want to use ..absolutely MAGNIFICENT . Looks like my SB Omni 5.1 got hard competition :D
I'm using DIGITAL out from the combined Headphone/DIGITAL 3.5 Optical port ..ofc you need a special cable or 3.5 to Optical ADAPTER I'm using BELKIN Digital optical cable + Adapter http://www.rightent.com/images/CAB00058.jpg like this one . It is connected via Logitech 5450 Surround Speaker system ..sound is absolutely amazing .

ishtangli

Can anyone recommend a good USB sound card that supports this hack or outright supports DTS Connect

Last edited:
Is there anyway to unlock the newest realtek driver? The newest Windows 10 preview doesn't allow optional updates, and forces all the "newest" drivers...
It auto installs R3.94

Last edited: