• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

4K on R9 290/X? Here is some advice/experience from my attempts

System Name SnowFire / The Reinforcer
Processor i7 10700K 5.1ghz (24/7) / 2x Xeon E52650v2
Motherboard Asus Strix Z490 / Dell Dual Socket (R720)
Cooling RX 360mm + 140mm Custom Loop / Dell Stock
Memory Corsair RGB 16gb DDR4 3000 CL 16 / DDR3 128gb 16 x 8gb
Video Card(s) GTX Titan XP (2025mhz) / Asus GTX 950 (No Power Connector)
Storage Samsung 970 1tb NVME and 2tb HDD x4 RAID 5 / 300gb x8 RAID 5
Display(s) Acer XG270HU, Samsung G7 Odyssey (1440p 240hz)
Case Thermaltake Cube / Dell Poweredge R720 Rack Mount Case
Audio Device(s) Realtec ALC1150 (On board)
Power Supply Rosewill Lightning 1300Watt / Dell Stock 750 / Brick
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Logitech G19S
Software Windows 11 Pro / Windows Server 2016
Ok so awhile back I decided after upgrading my machine I would jump into the realm of 4K and skip 1440p because I decided that would be my next attempt after eyefinity (3 1080p displays) as I was tired of stretching my head around. I thought I would make this to post my experience since I still see people having issues some of which I had so I thought I would post this to give you a bit of help in making some choices if you want to jump into that realm. Bear in mind this is based off my experiences and personal tests/research and nothing else with my own system and will not cover every scenario or situation. This is only meant to help out and give you a rough idea of what to expect making your own 4K system specifically with AMD cards.

System specs for reference:

i7 5930K @ 4.5ghz
MSI X99 Gaming 9 AC
Corsair Vengeance 16gb (4x4gb) @ 2666mhz CL 15
3x PowerColor R9 290X @ stock OC speeds (1030mhz) (reference models)
Rosewill Lightning 1300Watt 80+ Gold PSU
Samsung 840Pro 512gb and Seagate Barracuda 1tb 7200RPM

Originally when I was looking at 4K my system had just added 3 PowerColor R9 290X reference cards under liquid. These cards are pre-overclocked to 1030mhz and have their own defined custom overclocks I have made to 1125 and 5500mhz memory clocks that I use when needing extra power/performance. Upon waiting and researching I had seen a couple models that were available at the time which was between 3 models that seemed to have nice recommendations/reviews:

Asus PB287Q
Samsung U28D590D
AOC U2868PQU

Between these at the time, the prices were all ~$600 bucks fluctuating depending on the site and day. After reviewing the Samsung and Asus seemed to be the same panel and had about the same quality though the Asus came with more features and a better stand while also seeing a $50 difference at times (Cheaper) versus the AOC which I had heard was not as good in terms of quality as the other two (And was normally the same price). I waited around a bit more and happened on a deal for the Asus monitor dropping to below $500 which to me considering the options was an excellent deal so I jumped onto it and received it in 3 days from newegg. The monitor itself came in perfect condition as expected and showed up on the computer immediately at 4K settings. However here is where the experience begins:

I noticed that it was not nearly as smooth as the secondary 1080p (1 of my previous monitors still hooked in) with just the basic mouse movements which seemed odd. Upon checking I noticed the monitor was running at 30hz (Using DP cable supplied I might add) and the computer was reporting the same thing. I tried changing it but the computer did not have the option for 60hz which I found quite odd. Then I remember the LinusTechTips review which stated the Asus defaults to DP 1.1 at start and you have to change it to DP 1.2 for it to run properly. I went to the monitor settings to change it and this is of course where things went from bad to worse. Immediately upon changing this the screen went black, when it came back up it would flicker and go back away at a constant pace. I had to get Catalyst open on the secondary monitor just to check the settings and force it back to 4K 30hz which immediately stopped the issue. Curious I decided to start investigating a bit further to find a multitude of people having the same issue I am with the Asus PB 287Q and Samsung U28D590D on the R9 290/X model cards. The issue only occurs when trying to run 60hz on the monitors and there was no fix. Talking with AMD rep Warsam71 on forums and in PM's it was apparent to be a known issue that AMD was working to fix. A week latter AMD had a new CCC version with a fix specifically labeling the issue on the AOC U2868PQU using an abnormal refresh method causing the issue. I tried the driver and sadly this did not resolve my issue so I was back to talking with warsam71 who asked a lot of questions and tried to find different solutions for me. I tried driver sweeper and fresh install but still nothing solved the issue. After talking with other members the first solution they gave me was trying a better quality DP cable and a very short one at that. I bought the Accell UltraAV B142C-003B DP 1.2 cable as it was recommended as being one of the top cable solutions right now (While also being a decent price) so I took the plunge and bought the 1 meter version to give it a shot. Upon receiving it I tried it out to no avail, in fact the flickering had just changed patterns to staying black a lot longer so it was back to the drawing board.

The next solution was posted for being a "temporary" fix and involved finding the next best setting that the monitor would run fine at. I used the CRU (Custom Resolution Utility) to create different resolutions at different refreshes to try and solve the issue or find a sweet point at 4K. To my surprise I was able to only go up to 37hz at 4K before flickering came back which was not nearly enough for a nice gaming experience. Using this idea I decided that based on responses this was a bandwidth problem specifically with the R9 290X's DP port. I decided to try changing the resolution to 1440p (Using CRU because the Asus does not have that resolution built in oddly enough) at 60hz. The flickering issue persisted, in fact even down to 1920x1080p had the same exact results unless I used the HDTV settings in CCC for 1080p which just confused me with this problem even more because if it was bandwidth causing the problem then I should have been able to drop the resolution to solve the problem. At this point drivers had come out in higher volumes labeling more fixes for 4K monitors but none had solved my problem or even improved it. Oddly enough some of the users with the same monitor had said the issue had been resolved which confused me even more as to why I still had the problem.

At this point I had run out of ideas and decided to consult @cadaveca to see if he had an idea to try or if I should even just find an updated Bios version and go flash my cards to see if that solved the issue or RMA the monitor. He doubted the bios flash would solve the issue and had said based on what I said/had tested it sounded like hardware incompatibility as seen in the past with some odd resolutions/monitors. After that I decided that I was going to RMA the monitor to see if a firmware update resolved the issue until I saw a special black Friday sale on another 4K monitor:

Acer B286HK $349.99

I decided to give it a try for that price and see if I had the same issues or if anything else presented an issue. Upon receiving it I hooked it up via my Accell cable and immediately the monitor came up 4K at 60hz no questions asked and no flickering or other issues. The quality was all there in the stand similar to the Asus, it came with more pre-set resolutions available should they be needed, and the monitor runs well in everything I have done including games and movies.

The conclusion I draw is simple and my advice to you is simple if your wanting to do 4K on R9 290/X cards. The Acer B286HK is an excellent budget friendly (well as friendly as you can be at this range) monitor especially if you can get it under $500 (Or even $350 like I did). Just make sure before hand to research if you want a different monitor and I would say stay away from the Asus or Samsung 28inch 4K's because they have been hit or miss on the 290/X. I suggest buying also getting your own DP cable and the shortest you can to eliminate any chance of issues.

Hopefully this can help or save one person at least from running into the same experience/problems I did and get them into a proper experience like I am now. Please note this is just my experience in hoping to help people avoid problems that I had, I do not have every scenario nor can I account for them all. If you have a question feel free to ask.

Also for the record, the Asus PB287Q does work on my friends machine with an GTX 780 at the proper 4K 60hz so it looks like it just has compatibility issues on AMD cards (Maybe even just the 290/X).

Edit (Additional info):
1: Disabling CFX did not add to or improve my issues with the 290X and Asus monitor.
2: I tried all three DP cables I have which are the Asus supplied, Acer supplied, and the Accell cable to which the Asus does not change the issues except the flickering happens at different intervals and the Acer does not have any problems with all three cables.

Thanks,
GSR

Last edited:

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Thanks very much for the update and confirming it to be a compatibility issue. I think in this case, it might be on the ASUS side of things though, since the same config, different monitor works well. Interesting note about the cable though. Have you by chance tried the other cable you have out?

Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Logitech G19S
Thanks very much for the update and confirming it to be a compatibility issue. I think in this case, it might be on the ASUS side of things though, since the same config, different monitor works well. Interesting note about the cable though. Have you by chance tried the other cable you have out?
I have tried both the Acer supplied cable and the Accell cable (Currently using Accell). Both seem to have the same results and work well without a change in quality or any other issues. Though to be fair I did not use it for an extended period of time as I only played a quick round of BF4 on it and decided just to stick with the Accell to reduce the amount of cables I have around.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
Kudos on your crazy power rig man! FWIW, I thought about getting a pair of 980's for future 4k build but they get beaten by 290's at 4k more often than not. It's a pain that there will be hardware issues on some monitors.
In the end I bought a second 780ti classified (on eBay) and if I do go 4k, I'll not bother with AA.

manofthem

WCG-TPU Team All-Star!
Processor 3900X @ 4.0
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X570-E
Cooling DeepCool Castle 360EX
Memory G Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB 3600
Video Card(s) RX 5700 XT Pulse
Storage Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB
Display(s) LG 34UC88
Case Thermaltake P3
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III 750w
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard G Skill KM570 MX Silver
Software Windows 10 Pro
Nice write up @GhostRyder. I skimmed it briefly but I'll be back to read more in depth a bit later, especially since I'm desiring to go 4k and have 290s as well.
:toast:

System Name Champ's 1440P Rig
Processor Intel i7-4770K @ 4.6 GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z97 Extreme6
Cooling Corsair H60
Memory Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600 Mhz 4x4 Blue Ram
Video Card(s) Nvidia 1080 FE
Storage Samsung 840 Evo 256 GB/RAID 0 Western Digital Blue 1 TB HDDs
Display(s) Acer XG270HU
Case Antec P100
Power Supply Corsair CX850M
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard TT eSports Poseidon
Software Windows 10
I have the AOC monitor and after using ddu and clean sweeper with new drivers, it solved most of my problems. I have a dud card from eBay. Guy said he didn't mine on them, but I doubt. I read some about one of the vrms overheating and it causes display problems. Don't buy reference cards from eBay

Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Logitech G19S
Kudos on your crazy power rig man! FWIW, I thought about getting a pair of 980's for future 4k build but they get beaten by 290's at 4k more often than not. It's a pain that there will be hardware issues on some monitors.
In the end I bought a second 780ti classified (on eBay) and if I do go 4k, I'll not bother with AA.
Thanks :), I like being a bit crazy with my rigs as I did in the past. I had a dual GTX 295 rig (yes two of them and they were both the dual PCB variants) that I had under water and sold a bit later due to me deciding that I did not have enough time to game that hard and did not need something like that (Plus it was an expensive system). My previous system had Dual HD 6990's under water which was great for 3 monitor surround at the time but lately even with my recent system I had found doing eyefinity was more of a pain than fun anymore hence why I went ahead and decided to go 4K.

Nice write up @GhostRyder. I skimmed it briefly but I'll be back to read more in depth a bit later, especially since I'm desiring to go 4k and have 290s as well.

Thanks, I am glad you liked it and hope it helps you out. I just wanted to make sure since the information around the net on the issue was a bit more limited than I like. So I decided to make a spot showing my personal experience hoping people will get the information they need on the subject and not end up with disappointment. :)

I have the AOC monitor and after using ddu and clean sweeper with new drivers, it solved most of my problems. I have a dud card from eBay. Guy said he didn't mine on them, but I doubt. I read some about one of the vrms overheating and it causes display problems. Don't buy reference cards from eBay
Yea I can understand that, those eBay cards are a bit skeptical sometimes and you have to be careful especially with those reference models. Depending on the brand you can probably get away with an RMA to fix it.

How do you like the AOC?

Last edited:
System Name main/SFFHTPCARGH!(tm)/Xiaomi Mi TV Stick/Samsung Galaxy S23/Ally
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D/i7-3770/S905X/Snapdragon 8 Gen 2/Ryzen Z1 Extreme
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk/HP SFF Q77 Express/uh?/uh?/Asus
Cooling Enermax ETS-T50 Axe aRGB /basic HP HSF /errr.../oh! liqui..wait, no:sizable vapor chamber/a nice one
Memory 64gb Corsair Vengeance Pro 3600mhz DDR4/8gb DDR3 1600/2gb LPDDR3/8gb LPDDR5x 4200/16gb LPDDR5
Video Card(s) Hellhound Spectral White RX 7900 XTX 24gb/GT 730/Mali 450MP5/Adreno 740/RDNA3 768 core
Storage 250gb870EVO/500gb860EVO/2tbSandisk/NVMe2tb+1tb/4tbextreme V2/1TB Arion/500gb/8gb/256gb/2tb SN770M
Display(s) X58222 32" 2880x1620/32"FHDTV/273E3LHSB 27" 1920x1080/6.67"/AMOLED 2X panel FHD+120hz/FHD 120hz
Case Cougar Panzer Max/Elite 8300 SFF/None/back/back-front Gorilla Glass Victus 2+ UAG Monarch Carbon
Audio Device(s) Logi Z333/SB Audigy RX/HDMI/HDMI/Dolby Atmos/KZ x HBB PR2/Edifier STAX Spirit S3 & SamsungxAKG beans
Power Supply Chieftec Proton BDF-1000C /HP 240w/12v 1.5A/4Smart Voltplug PD 30W/Asus USB-C 65W
Mouse Speedlink Sovos Vertical-Asus ROG Spatha-Logi Ergo M575/Xiaomi XMRM-006/touch/touch
Keyboard Endorfy Thock 75% <3/none/touch/virtual
VR HMD Medion Erazer
Software Win10 64/Win8.1 64/Android TV 8.1/Android 13/Win11 64
Benchmark Scores bench...mark? i do leave mark on bench sometime, to remember which one is the most comfortable. :o
nice and thanks @GhostRyder, not that i will go dual 290 or 4K sooner but it was pretty interesting!

Kudos! :toast:

System Name Champ's 1440P Rig
Processor Intel i7-4770K @ 4.6 GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z97 Extreme6
Cooling Corsair H60
Memory Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600 Mhz 4x4 Blue Ram
Video Card(s) Nvidia 1080 FE
Storage Samsung 840 Evo 256 GB/RAID 0 Western Digital Blue 1 TB HDDs
Display(s) Acer XG270HU
Case Antec P100
Power Supply Corsair CX850M
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard TT eSports Poseidon
Software Windows 10
I like it. I brought it because I read it was a better panel than the Asus and Samsung. That was probably before the refresh issue was public. But I like it in general. Fine display

System Name Sandfiller
Processor I5-10400
Motherboard MSI MPG Z490 GAMING PLUS
Cooling Noctua NH-L9i (92x25mm fan)
Memory 32GB Corsair LPX 2400 Mhz DDR4 CL14
Video Card(s) MSI RX 5700 XT GAMING X
Storage Intel 670P 512GB
Display(s) 2560x1080 LG 29" + 22" LG
Case SS RV02
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Fractal Design IntegraM 650W
Mouse Logitech Triathlon
Keyboard REDRAGON MITRA
Software Windows 11 Home x 64
Thumbs up for the effort to provide feedback and advice!

Otherwise, I'd go with Dell personally. I don't why, I want to buy Dell for my next monitor. I feel like I trust them for monitors. Can't wait to muster some cash up. I can't go 4K, but I'd be glad if I can hit 1920x1200 or something like that.

System Name Jaspe
Processor Ryzen 1500X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming
Cooling Stock
Memory 16Gb Corsair 3000mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA GTS 450
Storage Crucial M500
Display(s) Philips 1080 24'
Case NZXT
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Enermax 425W
Software Windows 10 Pro

That was really useful as I'm also considering 4K.

One question: Do your reference cards have those little vents between and around the DP and hdmi ports? My Powercolor came with that slot blocked, and you know with the stock cooler every little helps.

Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Logitech G19S

That was really useful as I'm also considering 4K.

One question: Do your reference cards have those little vents between and around the DP and hdmi ports? My Powercolor came with that slot blocked, and you know with the stock cooler every little helps.
I'll post a picture when I am back in town but my reference models do have the vents though now they are under liquid.

System Name Jaspe
Processor Ryzen 1500X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming
Cooling Stock
Memory 16Gb Corsair 3000mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA GTS 450
Storage Crucial M500
Display(s) Philips 1080 24'
Case NZXT
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Enermax 425W
Software Windows 10 Pro
Thanks. I must have got mine from an odd batch.

System Name Home Brewed
Processor i9-7900X and i7-8700K
Motherboard ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme & ASUS Prime Z-370 A
Cooling Corsair 280mm AIO & Thermaltake Water 3.0
Memory 64GB DDR4-3000 GSKill RipJaws-V & 32GB DDR4-3466 GEIL Potenza
Video Card(s) 2X-GTX-1080 SLI & 2 GTX-1070Ti 8GB G1 Gaming in SLI
Storage Both have 2TB HDDs for storage, 480GB SSDs for OS, and 240GB SSDs for Steam Games
Display(s) ACER 28" B286HK 4K & Samsung 32" 1080P
Case NZXT Source 540 & Rosewill Rise Chassis
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair RM1000 & Corsair RM850
Mouse Generic
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Tournament & Corsair K90
Software Win-10 Professional
Benchmark Scores yes
I'm getting good 4K resolution with the same ACER Screen and a pair of Crossfire R9-280X OC GPUs.

Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Logitech G19S
Thanks. I must have got mine from an odd batch.
It maybe later models that changed that for some reason but mine are generation 1 variants as I bought them pretty soon after release (Less than a month into release I got them on sale).
I'm getting good 4K resolution with the same ACER Screen and a pair of Crossfire R9-280X OC GPUs.

Forgot to add a few things ill edit into my first post:

1: I have now tried all the DP cords I have (1 came with Asus, the other Acer, last is my Accell.) and all three work in and out of games no problems that I can find or difference other than the length of the cable.

2: Disabling CFX did not change the issues I was having on the 290X with the Asus (I tested awhile back forgot to mention it)

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Motherboard AsRock B650 HDVM.2
Cooling CPU : Corsair Hydro XC7 }{ GPU: EK FC 1080 via Magicool 360 III PRO > Photon 170 (D5)
Memory 32GB Gskill Flare X5
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 TI
Storage Samsung 9series NVM 2TB and Rust
Display(s) Predator X34P/Tempest X270OC @ 120hz / LG W3000h
Case Fractal Define S [Antec Skeleton hanging in hall of fame]
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Xense with AKG K612 cans on Monacor SA-100
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores FFXIV ARR Benchmark 12,883 on i7 2600k 15,098 on AM5 7600x
In the interest of the devil's advocate I'll shorten this for everyone and then add my own comments.

1. Ghost was really excited about 4k - even skipping over a tried and true 1600p
2. Asus PB287Q and Samsung U28D590D produced flickering and black screens when used with AMD R9 290/290x - a known issue
3. Newer driver versions from AMD did not resolve this as it is not software related
4. Thicker gauge display port cable did not resolve the issue, as it was not cable related
5. Ghost bought ACER B286HK which gave him instant 60hz results at 4k resolution, with no flickering

TL;DR 28" 4k TN panels on the market are using the same panel. Some of the older versions have Display port flickering issues on a number of graphics cards including the popular R9 290 series.
Solution, use a known working monitor such as the Acer B286K, Iiyama B2888, a Philips or a newer revision of the above mentioned Asus/Samsung.

Source : My own experience - learned the hard way that 4k on 28" is a waste of time, and the TN panels have terrible quality. 1440p or 1600p IPS is superior and doesn't melt your graphics cards/kill your performance for visuals that you can't appreciate.

Thanks for sharing Ghost.

Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Logitech G19S
Thought I would add an update, I started to get issues but a different set this time after working on my cable management in my new house. I thought it was nothing but then it got worse and worse to the point where the issue occurred at a constant rate. The issue was a random flicker and a black screen for a second in and out of game. I checked the cable and found that if I touched it much the issue would get worse off and on so I decided to grab the cable that came with the Acer and try it which solved the issue immediately.

Testing the old DP cable I was using (Ironically its the Accell cable which was supposed to be on of the top DP cable picks) on another monitor that was running at 1440p (Its a friends as I do not have any other monitors that have a DP port) caused the same issues eventually so its just a bad cable. Things happen so I won't write off Accell but I thought I would mention that.

System Name Home Brewed
Processor i9-7900X and i7-8700K
Motherboard ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme & ASUS Prime Z-370 A
Cooling Corsair 280mm AIO & Thermaltake Water 3.0
Memory 64GB DDR4-3000 GSKill RipJaws-V & 32GB DDR4-3466 GEIL Potenza
Video Card(s) 2X-GTX-1080 SLI & 2 GTX-1070Ti 8GB G1 Gaming in SLI
Storage Both have 2TB HDDs for storage, 480GB SSDs for OS, and 240GB SSDs for Steam Games
Display(s) ACER 28" B286HK 4K & Samsung 32" 1080P
Case NZXT Source 540 & Rosewill Rise Chassis
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair RM1000 & Corsair RM850
Mouse Generic
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Tournament & Corsair K90
Software Win-10 Professional
Benchmark Scores yes
I'm using the ACER cable that came with my screen too.

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Motherboard AsRock B650 HDVM.2
Cooling CPU : Corsair Hydro XC7 }{ GPU: EK FC 1080 via Magicool 360 III PRO > Photon 170 (D5)
Memory 32GB Gskill Flare X5
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 TI
Storage Samsung 9series NVM 2TB and Rust
Display(s) Predator X34P/Tempest X270OC @ 120hz / LG W3000h
Case Fractal Define S [Antec Skeleton hanging in hall of fame]
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Xense with AKG K612 cans on Monacor SA-100
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores FFXIV ARR Benchmark 12,883 on i7 2600k 15,098 on AM5 7600x
The cable I used (when I had my Iiyama last) was one they provided - however I haven't a clue what gauge it was.
Frankly, the cables should not be the source of a problem - that's really sloppy design and worse QA before leaving the factory.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Ive used cheaper cables that worked better that enthusiast brands lol

Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Logitech G19S
The cable I used (when I had my Iiyama last) was one they provided - however I haven't a clue what gauge it was.
Frankly, the cables should not be the source of a problem - that's really sloppy design and worse QA before leaving the factory.
I agree especially because the cable was the one I bought that was supposed to be one of the best (But it was not to expensive so I am not that upset). But things happen so I normally do not worry on things like that so much but it can be an annoyance especially considering how DP is not exactly the most common thing around.

Ebo

System Name the little fart
Processor AMD Ryzen 2600X
Motherboard MSI x470 gaming plus
Cooling Noctua NH-C14S
Memory 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaw 2400Mhz DDR 4
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX Vega 56 Pulse
Storage 1 Crucial MX100 512GB SSD,1 Crucial MX500 2TB SSD, 1 1,5TB WD Black Caviar, 1 4TB WD RED HD
Display(s) IIyama XUB2792QSU IPS 2560x1440
Case White Lian-Li PC-011 Dynamic
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar SE pci-e card
Power Supply Thermaltake DPS G 1050 watt Digital PSU
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard Corsair K70
Software windows 10 64 pro bit
I had cable problems with my Iiyama screen in 1920x1200 after the first year, suddenly black screens and just fallout. first I thourght it was my GFX but no, after some time trying to find the problem, it was the cable. Now I use a 5 meter cable from Home theather because the price was right.
First i wanted some from Lindy, but the guy at the shop said I wouldnt see any difference or experience any quality loss, so it was better to save some money which I did, sice the change Ive had no issues what so ever.

Now im going for 4K also, but im waiting for the new screen from Iiyama with freesync which should comt to my country just about 1-2 months from now, so it gives me time to buy another R9 290, so it will be able for hold some decent framerates.