• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA Paves Way for Tomorrow's Cars With NVIDIA DRIVE Automotive Computers

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Transporting the world closer to a future of auto-piloted cars that see and detect the world around them, NVIDIA today introduced NVIDIA DRIVE automotive computers -- equipped with powerful capabilities for computer vision, deep learning and advanced cockpit visualization. NVIDIA will offer two car computers: NVIDIA DRIVE PX, for developing auto-pilot capabilities, and NVIDIA DRIVE CX, for creating the most advanced digital cockpit systems. These automotive-grade in-vehicle computers are based on the same architecture used in today's most powerful supercomputers.

"Mobile supercomputing will be central to tomorrow's car," said Jen-Hsun Huang, CEO and co-founder, NVIDIA. "With vast arrays of cameras and displays, cars of the future will see and increasingly understand their surroundings. Whether finding their way back to you from a parking spot or using situational awareness to keep out of harm's way, future cars will do many amazing, seemingly intelligent things. Advances in computer vision, deep learning and graphics have finally put this dream within reach.

"NVIDIA DRIVE will accelerate the intelligent car revolution by putting the visual computing capabilities of supercomputers at the service of each driver."

NVIDIA DRIVE PX
The NVIDIA DRIVE PX auto-pilot development platform provides the technical foundation for cars with completely new features that draw heavily on recent developments in computer vision and deep learning.

DRIVE PX leverages the new NVIDIA Tegra X1 mobile super chip, which is built on NVIDIA's latest Maxwell GPU architecture and delivers over one teraflops of processing power, giving it more horsepower than the world's fastest supercomputer of 15 years ago. DRIVE PX, featuring two Tegra X1 super chips, has inputs for up to 12 high-resolution cameras, and can process up to 1.3 gigapixels per second.

Its computer vision capabilities can enable Auto-Valet, allowing a car to find a parking space and park itself, without human intervention. While current systems offer assisted parallel parking in a specific spot, NVIDIA DRIVE PX can allow a car to discover open spaces in a crowded parking garage, park autonomously and then later return to pick up its driver when summoned from a smartphone.

The deep learning capabilities of DRIVE PX enable a car to learn to differentiate various types of vehicles -- for example, discerning an ambulance from a delivery van, a police car from a regular sedan, or a parked car from one about to pull into traffic. As a result, a self-driving car can detect subtle details and react to the nuances of each situation, like a human driver.

NVIDIA DRIVE CX
The NVIDIA DRIVE CX cockpit computer is a complete solution with hardware and software to enable advanced graphics and computer vision for navigation, infotainment, digital instrument clusters and driver monitoring. It also enables Surround-Vision, which provides an undistorted top-down, 360-degree view of the car in real time -- solving the problem of blind spots -- and can completely replace a physical mirror with a digital smart mirror.

Available with either Tegra X1 or Tegra K1 processors, and complete road-tested software, the DRIVE CX can power up to 16.8 million pixels on multiple displays -- more than 10 times that of current model cars.

Positive Industry Support
Ricky Hudi, executive vice president of Electrical/Electronics Development at AUDI AG, said: "Audi and NVIDIA share a common belief‎ that machine learning is a powerful enhancement to our zFAS Piloted Driving technology. Thus, Audi sees DRIVE PX as a crucial tool for further research and development."

Thilo Koslowski, vice president and distinguished analyst at Gartner, said: "The realization of smart automobiles requires high-performance processing solutions that enable sophisticated sensor fusion and innovative machine learning. This will create a new class of self-aware and ultimately self-driving vehicles that can assess, sense, understand and react to the state of their surroundings and occupants."

Availability
Both NVIDIA DRIVE PX and DRIVE CX platforms include a range of software application modules from NVIDIA or third-party solutions providers. The DRIVE PX auto-pilot development platform and DRIVE CX cockpit computer will be available in the second quarter of 2015.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name gamingPZ
Processor i7-6700k
Motherboard Asrock Z170M Pro4S
Cooling scythe mugen4
Memory 32GB ddr4 2400mhz crucial ballistix sport lt
Video Card(s) gigabyte GTX 1070 ti
Storage ssd - crucial MX500 1TB
Case silverstone sugo sg10
Power Supply Evga G2 650w
Software win10
no, no, nooo !!!! me as a multiple car DIY-er - I know the struggle when your car computers do not work as they should or go nutts and only one who can help then (has access to them) is the dealer - and dealer charges triple digits for any kind of vehicle computer (-s) manupulations, and maytimes they call the main computer disposable and that means 2000$+ from you for new one ... why they do like that (you might ask)? Cuz the dealer can and dealer knows that you can't (no access, no interface and no paswords to get "inside" to cnahge, verify or fix anything there)- "so pay up, buddy - or sell your car to junkyard" is their motto ... and now - more computers ??? :'(

PS. ofcorse if you do not own a car or do not pay for it - then never mind - "go nvidia" and more points for you.

System Name MoneySink
Processor 2600K @ 4.8
Motherboard P8Z77-V
Cooling AC NexXxos XT45 360, RayStorm, D5T+XSPC tank, Tygon R-3603, Bitspower
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600C8
Video Card(s) GTX 780 SLI (EVGA SC ACX + Giga GHz Ed.)
Storage Kingston HyperX SSD (128) OS, WD RE4 (1TB), RE2 (1TB), Cav. Black (2 x 500GB), Red (4TB)
Display(s) Achieva Shimian QH270-IPSMS (2560x1440) S-IPS
Case NZXT Switch 810
Audio Device(s) onboard Realtek yawn edition
Power Supply Seasonic X-1050
Software Win8.1 Pro
Benchmark Scores 3.5 litres of Pale Ale in 18 minutes.
no, no, nooo !!!! me as a multiple car DIY-er - I know the struggle when your car computers do not work as they should or go nutts and only one who can help then (has access to them) is the dealer - and dealer charges triple digits for any kind of vehicle computer (-s) manupulations, and maytimes they call the main computer disposable and that means 2000$+ from you for new one ... why they do like that (you might ask)? Cuz the dealer can and dealer knows that you can't (no access, no interface and no paswords to get "inside" to cnahge, verify or fix anything there)- "so pay up, buddy - or sell your car to junkyard" is their motto ... and now - more computers ??? :'(
You're screwed in any event. Microprocessors are taking the place of mechanical systems in ever increasing numbers regardless. Once upon a time, aside from a rebore and crank grind (and maybe motor rewinding and steering box), an avid DIY'er could rebuild a car from the frame up (or chassis if unibody construction), but unless you're dealing with something 20+ years removed, chances are microcontrollers will play a part - whether it's just EFI or something more comprehensive. As a muscle car restorer hobbyist, I can fully understand your sentiment- especially when a computer technician costing an arm and a leg practicing some black box dark art is required that used to involve a couple of hours and a few bucks like re-jetting a carb.
At least with a straight-line rewire of a classic, an electrical fault/blown fuse didn't mean that half the systems of the car got nuked in one fell swoop, but unfortunately the times they are a changing - people now seem to require the car to be a mobile lounge/office with all the creature comforts - with the actual act of driving (and the fun) and doing your own maintenance becoming a secondary consideration.

System Name gamingPZ
Processor i7-6700k
Cooling scythe mugen4
Software win10
You're screwed in any event. Microprocessors are taking the place of mechanical systems in ever increasing numbers regardless. Once upon a time, aside from a rebore and crank grind (and maybe motor rewinding and steering box), an avid DIY'er could rebuild a car from the frame up (or chassis if unibody construction), but unless you're dealing with something 20+ years removed, chances are microcontrollers will play a part - whether it's just EFI or something more comprehensive. As a muscle car restorer hobbyist, I can fully understand your sentiment- especially when a computer technician costing an arm and a leg practicing some black box dark art is required that used to involve a couple of hours and a few bucks like re-jetting a carb.
At least with a straight-line rewire of a classic, an electrical fault/blown fuse didn't mean that half the systems of the car got nuked in one fell swoop, but unfortunately the times they are a changing - people now seem to require the car to be a mobile lounge/office with all the creature comforts - with the actual act of driving (and the fun) and doing your own maintenance becoming a secondary consideration.

I know - that those times ar long gone - like 15 years ago they were gone... now days everything is controlled by Computers and I do not mid that - Computers are much faster and much more adaptive stuff than mechanical Solutions (example - ignition, fuel injection)... what I bitch about is that acess to those Computers are only for dealers (essepcially here in Europe) - you can not even change a brake pads or reset your MAP sensor if you do not buy (and and fully understand) hacked devices from ebay-Hong-Kong reset and verify those actions in your main Computer... and I have plenty of examples where dealers tries to repair their own false diganose (esspecially in Electronics and ECU department - are they dumb or playing dumb) and tries to charge quadripple numbers for it... just because they know that noone can proof or check (if that diagnose whas right)...

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
But can it run Crysis? :p

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
System Name gamingPZ
Processor i7-6700k
Cooling scythe mugen4
Software win10
System Name MoneySink
Processor 2600K @ 4.8
Motherboard P8Z77-V
Storage Kingston HyperX SSD (128) OS, WD RE4 (1TB), RE2 (1TB), Cav. Black (2 x 500GB), Red (4TB)
Case NZXT Switch 810
Software Win8.1 Pro
The Nvidia tech showcase featured a segment with Ricky Hudi of Audi regarding the autonomous (driverless) A7 on a road trip from San Francisco to Las Vegas. Looks like the car made it without incident.
All those drivers training hard by paying absolutely no attention to driving at the expense of texting/phoning, shaving/applying makeup, searching for crap in the glovebox, flipping the bird, and rubbernecking now have their ultimate driving machines within their grasp.

It was also mentioned in its first day it went from Silicon Valley to Bakersfield. Even in traffic you can accomplish that full trip from San Francisco to Las Vegas 3 times in a day.

A 70K+ vehicle that you just sit in and don't drive. Its called a bus.

Last edited:

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
A 70K+ vehicle that you just sit in and don't drive. Its called a bus.

Well hopefully you can still drive these cars manually. I would use auto pilot for when I drink to much which is fairly often.

System Name MoneySink
Processor 2600K @ 4.8
Motherboard P8Z77-V
Case NZXT Switch 810
Software Win8.1 Pro
Well hopefully you can still drive these cars manually. I would use auto pilot for when I drink to much which is fairly often.
+1.0 BAC

Hopefully we get a few years of this option before Audi's own cars decide to change the marque's name to Skynet, and the A7 morphs into the Die You Useless Meatbag Unlimited Edition.

Last edited:

How will you find it?, Remember where you parked it or even if you drove it there in the first place ? :toast:

It's no K.I.T.T.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
Cockpit. Cock pit. Vagina. Nvidia just made a virtual vagina and have told everyone to go F themselves!!!

Still no parking, snow, rain, or detour driving. So based on my driving experiences 5-6 months of the year no.

We have the ability to drive 2 4K displays, so we decided to drive this car instead.

Last edited:

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
How will you find it?, Remember where you parked it or even if you drove it there in the first place ? :toast:

It's no K.I.T.T.

It easily could be

System Name MoneySink
Processor 2600K @ 4.8
Motherboard P8Z77-V
Case NZXT Switch 810
Software Win8.1 Pro
Cockpit. Cock pit. Vagina. Nvidia just made a virtual vagina and have told everyone to go F themselves!!!

Still no parking, snow, rain, or detour driving. So based on my driving experiences 5-6 months of the year no.

As a concept I really don't have too much of a problem with self-driving cars. People who enjoy driving will still do so. Now think of the people who might well love the idea of autonomous driving such as retirees that normally drive at 10 m.p.h. with an indicator flashing at all times, and soccer moms who veer all over the place when a truck paces them in an adjacent lane, and who block traffic for five minutes at a time while they try to parallel park. Personally I can't wait for these people to be relieved of the responsibility of piloting a vehicle.

System Name main/SFFHTPCARGH!(tm)/Xiaomi Mi TV Stick/Samsung Galaxy S23/Ally
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D/i7-3770/S905X/Snapdragon 8 Gen 2/Ryzen Z1 Extreme
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk/HP SFF Q77 Express/uh?/uh?/Asus
Cooling Enermax ETS-T50 Axe aRGB /basic HP HSF /errr.../oh! liqui..wait, no:sizable vapor chamber/a nice one
Memory 64gb Corsair Vengeance Pro 3600mhz DDR4/8gb DDR3 1600/2gb LPDDR3/8gb LPDDR5x 4200/16gb LPDDR5
Video Card(s) Hellhound Spectral White RX 7900 XTX 24gb/GT 730/Mali 450MP5/Adreno 740/RDNA3 768 core
Storage 250gb870EVO/500gb860EVO/2tbSandisk/NVMe2tb+1tb/4tbextreme V2/1TB Arion/500gb/8gb/256gb/2tb SN770M
Display(s) X58222 32" 2880x1620/32"FHDTV/273E3LHSB 27" 1920x1080/6.67"/AMOLED 2X panel FHD+120hz/FHD 120hz
Case Cougar Panzer Max/Elite 8300 SFF/None/back/back-front Gorilla Glass Victus 2+ UAG Monarch Carbon
Audio Device(s) Logi Z333/SB Audigy RX/HDMI/HDMI/Dolby Atmos/KZ x HBB PR2/Edifier STAX Spirit S3 & SamsungxAKG beans
Power Supply Chieftec Proton BDF-1000C /HP 240w/12v 1.5A/4Smart Voltplug PD 30W/Asus USB-C 65W
Mouse Speedlink Sovos Vertical-Asus ROG Spatha-Logi Ergo M575/Xiaomi XMRM-006/touch/touch
Keyboard Endorfy Thock 75% <3/none/touch/virtual
VR HMD Medion Erazer
Software Win10 64/Win8.1 64/Android TV 8.1/Android 13/Win11 64
Benchmark Scores bench...mark? i do leave mark on bench sometime, to remember which one is the most comfortable. :o
But can it run Crysis? :p
it could ... technically ...

it's a Octacore bigLITTLE arm 57/53 in a 4/4 configuration @ 2.2ghz 64bit compatible and the GPU of the SOC is Maxwell class DX12 Ogl ES 3.1 Cuda and AEP 256 cores (if i remember right what i saw about it on Frandroid fun no technical specs here?)

so that question is kinda useless in that case o_O (even if it's a common joke about new tech/cpu/gpu/computer (read: it has gotten old :roll: )

System Name MoneySink
Processor 2600K @ 4.8
Motherboard P8Z77-V
Case NZXT Switch 810
Software Win8.1 Pro
it's a Octacore bigLITTLE arm 57/53 in a 4/4 configuration @ 2.2ghz 64bit compatible and the GPU of the SOC is Maxwell class DX12 Ogl ES 3.1 Cuda and AEP 256 cores (if i remember right what i saw about it on Frandroid fun no technical specs here?)
Anand got a (sort of) hands-on with the Nvidia demo system and have a reasonably comprehensive analysis - certainly better than the cursory news snippets/ PR releases many sites have (re)published.