• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Ram question

Processor I7-4790k
Motherboard Asus Maximus VII Formula
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) @ 2400mhz
Video Card(s) GTX 980
Display(s) AOC 24in Gsync
Power Supply 1300 W
Mouse Razer mamba TE chroma
Keyboard razer black widow chroma
Hello, I currently have 2 sticks of corsair vengeance pro ram and am thinking of getting another 2 sticks of ram, my question is if I was to get a set of corsair dominator platinum sticks with same speed and latency will they both work or do I need another set of the exact same vengeance pro?

CAPSLOCKSTUCK

Spaced Out Lunar Tick
System Name Party On
Processor Xeon w 3520
Motherboard DFI Lanparty
Cooling Big tower thing
Memory 6 gb Ballistix Tracer
Video Card(s) HD 7970
Case a plank of wood
Audio Device(s) seperate amp and 6 big speakers
Power Supply Corsair
Mouse cheap
Keyboard under going restoration
They should be fine.

Where are you getting them from ? Speak to them, then, if they dont work send them back. Check their returns policy

From what i know they should be fine though. Matching pairs isnt as critical as it used to be.

I usually put in whatever sticks ive got and if i get beeps on startup i take them out.

Processor I7-4790k
Cooling Corsair H100i
Video Card(s) GTX 980
Power Supply 1300 W
I was planning on newegg.

CAPSLOCKSTUCK

Spaced Out Lunar Tick
System Name Party On
Processor Xeon w 3520
Motherboard DFI Lanparty
Cooling Big tower thing
Memory 6 gb Ballistix Tracer
Video Card(s) HD 7970
Case a plank of wood
Audio Device(s) seperate amp and 6 big speakers
Power Supply Corsair
Mouse cheap
Keyboard under going restoration
Arent the Vengeance faster ?

System Name BattleX
Processor Intel Core i7 4770K, Core i7 4930K
Motherboard Asus Maximus VI Extreme, Rampage IV extreme black edition
Cooling Custom water cooling loop
Memory Dominator Platinum 2133 CL 9, Trident-X 2400 cl9
Video Card(s) HD R9-290X, GTX Titan, HD 7970, HD 3870, HD 7850, 2xHD 5970, HD 6990
Storage Intel series 520 SSD in RAID0, 2xWD 2TB HDD
Display(s) IIyama Prolite B2475HDS
Case Custom modded Cooler Master Haf X
Power Supply Cooler Master Silent Pro M2 1000 Watt
Software Windows XP, Win 7, Win 8, Win 8.1
Benchmark Scores HWBOT: http://hwbot.org/user/henkenator68nl/
Maybe a strange question, but why would you add more ram?
You already have 16GB installed and that 16GB will hardly ever be all in use.

For example here is overview of Memory Usage from 1 of my systems. It has 2 x 4Gb Dominator Platinum 2133 CL9 installed. I use one off the Microsoft Tools from the SysInternals package called Process Explorer, this gives in depth details about a lot of system functions. The memory tab off the System Information Tool contains the interesting stuff:
  • The version of Windows in use determines part off the amount off memory in that Windows uses: a lot of (older) windows 32bit versions do not support > 4GB. The 64bit versions do.
  • A real weird rule of thumb from Microsoft is that it looks at the physical installed amount off memory. In my case: 8.324.415 k (=8 GB). Microsoft than multiplies the amount by 2: 16.646.988 k (=16GB). So the memory is actually seen as 16GB, the extra 8GB is the windows page file.
  • Tasks are prioritized by windows (W7 64bit Ultimate in my case): tasks with lower priority get scheduled for period of low system usage.
  • The actual usage = PEAK LIMIT reached 79,58% on my system that had been up for: 15 hours, meanwhile I played some games, did a lot of Photoshop work (=actually one of the Tools that benefits from large amounts of memory).
  • The current limit is like 33%.
  • The amount off available memory is 5.355.532 K (approx 5,1 GB), so plenty off head room!

So the system doesn't use all available resources by far. In my situation adding more dram does not render any improvement and is pretty much useless. This applies to most peeps with "normal" systems and normal use.

Additionally on a Z77, Z87 or Z97 rigg using more than 2 dram sticks puts more strain on the IMC. This actually lowers the overclocking capacity of the CPU. My advice: No need to buy extra dram. If want some extra perfomance: try to raise the dram frequency on your rigg, the 4790K has an excellent IMC that easily sustains higher dram speed.

Memory usage in my work/game rigg:

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
Hello, I currently have 2 sticks of corsair vengeance pro ram and am thinking of getting another 2 sticks of ram, my question is if I was to get a set of corsair dominator platinum sticks with same speed and latency will they both work or do I need another set of the exact same vengeance pro?

As longs as the latency and frequency is identical, they will operate normally e.g. 2133mhz @ CL11

Maybe a strange question, but why would you add more ram?
You already have 16GB installed and that 16GB will hardly ever be all in use.

For example here is overview of Memory Usage from 1 of my systems. It has 2 x 4Gb Dominator Platinum 2133 CL9 installed. I use one off the Microsoft Tools from the SysInternals package called Process Explorer, this gives in depth details about a lot of system functions. The memory tab off the System Information Tool contains the interesting stuff:
  • The version of Windows in use determines part off the amount off memory in that Windows uses: a lot of (older) windows 32bit versions do not support > 4GB. The 64bit versions do.
  • A real weird rule of thumb from Microsoft is that it looks at the physical installed amount off memory. In my case: 8.324.415 k (=8 GB). Microsoft than multiplies the amount by 2: 16.646.988 k (=16GB). So the memory is actually seen as 16GB, the extra 8GB is the windows page file.
  • Tasks are prioritized by windows (W7 64bit Ultimate in my case): tasks with lower priority get scheduled for period of low system usage.
  • The actual usage = PEAK LIMIT reached 79,58% on my system that had been up for: 15 hours, meanwhile I played some games, did a lot of Photoshop work (=actually one of the Tools that benefits from large amounts of memory).
  • The current limit is like 33%.
  • The amount off available memory is 5.355.532 K (approx 5,1 GB), so plenty off head room!

So the system doesn't use all available resources by far. In my situation adding more dram does not render any improvement and is pretty much useless. This applies to most peeps with "normal" systems and normal use.

Additionally on a Z77, Z87 or Z97 rigg using more than 2 dram sticks puts more strain on the IMC. This actually lowers the overclocking capacity of the CPU. My advice: No need to buy extra dram. If want some extra perfomance: try to raise the dram frequency on your rigg, the 4790K has an excellent IMC that easily sustains higher dram speed.

Memory usage in my work/game rigg:

RAMDisk, Photoshop, or mass database use. Besides those three things, more than 16GB RAM is largely pointless and irrelevant.

Processor I7-4790k
Cooling Corsair H100i
Video Card(s) GTX 980
Power Supply 1300 W
I use virtual machines quite often so the extra ram could be assigned to them to improve their performance.

System Name Devil's Canyon PC build
Processor Intel i7-4790K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z97X-G1 Gaming WIFI-BK
Cooling Prolimatech Megahalems Black Edition Air Cooler, 2x Akasa 120mm PWN Piranha Fans (push-pull config)
Memory Patriot Viper 3 "Black Mamba" 32GB (4x8GB), 2133MHz, C11-11-11-30, 1.5v
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Windforce X3 GeForce GTX Titan X 12GB GDDR5 (Non-Pascal)
Storage Samsung 850 PRO 512GB SSD, 1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, Seagate 8TB Archive HDD, 2TB Samsung M9T HDD
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift 27" 144Hz G-Sync Gaming Monitor
Case Corsair Obsidian 650D Midi Tower - Black, 3x230mm Bitfenix SPECTRE PRO, 1x120mm Bitfenix PWN (SP)
Power Supply Seasonic 660W Platinum Certified Modular
Software Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64
You should get identical second for better compatibility to avoid no functionality at all or weird intermittent faults (bluescreens and sudden freezes, other things can apply too).
Only way to have no compatibility issues at all with RAM is to buy a full exact kit (so for 32GB RAM it would be a single 4x8GB Quad kit).

As mentioned before most people don't get close to using a full 16GB and 8GB is more than sufficient for most scenerios.
My choice for 32GB was just simple SWAG purposes and achiveing maximum use of RAM capacity for the chipset of my motherboard.

The only way I can use 32GB is by playing a faulty game with Memory leakage issues as seen in a particular new release title from not too long ago...

System Name BattleX
Processor Intel Core i7 4770K, Core i7 4930K
Motherboard Asus Maximus VI Extreme, Rampage IV extreme black edition
Cooling Custom water cooling loop
Memory Dominator Platinum 2133 CL 9, Trident-X 2400 cl9
Video Card(s) HD R9-290X, GTX Titan, HD 7970, HD 3870, HD 7850, 2xHD 5970, HD 6990
Storage Intel series 520 SSD in RAID0, 2xWD 2TB HDD
Display(s) IIyama Prolite B2475HDS
Case Custom modded Cooler Master Haf X
Power Supply Cooler Master Silent Pro M2 1000 Watt
Software Windows XP, Win 7, Win 8, Win 8.1
Benchmark Scores HWBOT: http://hwbot.org/user/henkenator68nl/
After re-reading the remarks from the OP, I cannot help but wondering:

Are you sure that you get full control of dedicating the extra dram to any VMware? The influence of all (running in back ground processes which are really prioritised by MS, influencing this behaviour tends to take in depth knowledge of - developer- level programming knowledge.

It would be good to test that before investing any money.

if switching to an extreme platform would be a much more sensible investment.

If this is possible, than I think making a move to an x79 or x99 might be more sensible. The quad channel memory actually increases the efficiency enormously. Double the memory bandwidth is paying of fast. I know this might bring higher initial costs. But if you sell your current rigg you might be able to pick up a Rampage IV extreme black edition with an 4930K with a quad channel dram kit from peeps upgrading to the X99 for very decent price.

Imho that would potentially gain your more than adding extra dram in your current rigg. I have several Riggs and for r3ndering or 3d design the quad channel really makes a lot of difference even more so if you take the extra cores into account.

Just some random thought on my part though.

Processor I7-4790k
Cooling Corsair H100i
Video Card(s) GTX 980
Power Supply 1300 W
After re-reading the remarks from the OP, I cannot help but wondering:

Are you sure that you get full control of dedicating the extra dram to any VMware? The influence of all (running in back ground processes which are really prioritised by MS, influencing this behaviour tends to take in depth knowledge of - developer- level programming knowledge.

It would be good to test that before investing any money.

if switching to an extreme platform would be a much more sensible investment.

If this is possible, than I think making a move to an x79 or x99 might be more sensible. The quad channel memory actually increases the efficiency enormously. Double the memory bandwidth is paying of fast. I know this might bring higher initial costs. But if you sell your current rigg you might be able to pick up a Rampage IV extreme black edition with an 4930K with a quad channel dram kit from peeps upgrading to the X99 for very decent price.

Imho that would potentially gain your more than adding extra dram in your current rigg. I have several Riggs and for r3ndering or 3d design the quad channel really makes a lot of difference even more so if you take the extra cores into account.

Just some random thought on my part though.

I dont have the finances to switch to X79 or X99 because im in high school and as far as vmware goes i use it often for a competition in which it is actually being used, not sitting in the background. In the future however i do plan on making a switch to X99.

Processor I7-4790k
Cooling Corsair H100i
Video Card(s) GTX 980
Power Supply 1300 W
If I was to sell my rig how much do u think I could get from it?

System Name Some computer stuff
Processor Mostly Intel or AMD
Motherboard ATX or mATX
Cooling Bong Cooler
Memory DDR2-4
Video Card(s) A few
Storage Plenty Platters or SSDs or USBs
Display(s) Samsung 23"
Case 5 on the floor
Audio Device(s) There's one for my M7 Gene, Oh I have 3-4 PCI 5.1 ones.Sabrent! lol
Power Supply 750-1000W
Mouse cheap
Keyboard Used ps2 from garage sales
Software Yeah
Benchmark Scores http://hwbot.org/user/schmuckley/#Hardware_Library http://valid.canardpc.com/rbjpbg
If I was to sell my rig how much do u think I could get from it?

hmm..parting it out?CPU- $240
mobo-$185
cooler..eh-$50
RAM..hmm.-$85
GPU- $325
PSU-Do not sell
so.. $885-$900

Processor I7-4790k
Cooling Corsair H100i
Video Card(s) GTX 980
Power Supply 1300 W
What about as a unit?

Motherboard ATX or mATX
Cooling Bong Cooler
Memory DDR2-4
Video Card(s) A few
Display(s) Samsung 23"
Case 5 on the floor
Audio Device(s) There's one for my M7 Gene, Oh I have 3-4 PCI 5.1 ones.Sabrent! lol
Power Supply 750-1000W
Mouse cheap
Software Yeah
Benchmark Scores http://hwbot.org/user/schmuckley/#Hardware_Library http://valid.canardpc.com/rbjpbg
You might could get more;but it would be a long wait.
possibly several months.
$1050-$1150
Things move faster parted out..

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Different models have different latency, you might want to stick to the same brand / modules..
Not only this, but if you have an OLD OLD set, and find a NEW set with similar timings, same model, there is chance the memory WILL NOT be the same, and you may run into issues. Most ram today is single-sided 4 GB sticks, many with timings of double-sided 4 GB sticks, and the two DO NOT like each other. However, 1066-133 MHz DDR3 can be done with a medium rate of success in this situation.

Mixing ram sets is NEVER a good idea, so much so that ANY memory maker will tell you DO NOT BUY SEPERATE KITS to make one larger kit (ie, buy a pair of sets with two sticks to make a 4-stick kit), even though you might pay more for separate kits.

Motherboard ATX or mATX
Cooling Bong Cooler
Memory DDR2-4
Video Card(s) A few
Display(s) Samsung 23"
Case 5 on the floor
Power Supply 750-1000W
Mouse cheap
Software Yeah
^True story :)
I mean..I'd buy a couple of kits separate if I knew they were the same ICs n stuff..
in and around the same time period..
but nowadays..yikes..
mostly it's Hynix stuff.