• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Seagate Launches the Seven Slim Portable Hard Drive

Seagate Technology plc, a world leader in storage solutions, today unveiled a high-design ultra-slim external drive that evokes the legacy form factor of 2.5-inch internal hard drives. The new Seagate Seven drive is the slimmest way to carry 500 GB of data, with the name representing the 7 mm depth of the 500 GB drive. The simplicity of the industrial design of the Seagate Seven pays tribute to the roots of computer storage while simultaneously celebrating the latest advancements in storage innovation. The premium all-metal enclosure highlights the essence of a bare hard drive, Seagate's core competency for over 35 years.

"Seagate has been providing the world with storage since the modern origins of computing history," said Mark Whitby, senior vice president of Seagate Branded Group. "Seagate Seven is designed to speak to this history, while looking forward to the future of where storage technology is headed. We believe that Seagate Seven will resonate with those who want the latest trend in mechanical design while inspiring the user to create great experiences and memories."

The stunning Seagate Seven portable drive celebrates over 35 years of storage expertise and innovation. This statement product combines advanced storage research and development with world-class industrial design to create the slimmest way to carry 500GB of data. The Seagate Seven enclosure is made entirely of steel, not only to achieve the thinnest external drive, but also for a premium appearance inspired by a bare drive, the very essence of storage.

Seagate leveraged the latest of the company's drive technologies and manufacturing processes to create the world's thinnest external hard drive. The deep draw process allows for the all steel enclosure to be shaped in a method that the material could not be any thinner and still hold the structural integrity needed to perform as an external portable storage device. The steel encasing also provides a rigidity, which allows for the incredibly thin design to be functional. The low profile motor technologies used in the bare drive are designed to include extreme Gyro handling capabilities with tablets and thin computing in mind. This is a true benefit when considering that Seagate Seven is a storage device that people will carry with them in their bags or pockets.

Pricing and Availability:
Seagate Seven is a 500 GB portable hard drive that will be widely available in mid to late January for a suggested retail price of $99.99. As of launch, pre-orders can be made on Seagate.com and Amazon.com.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Tiger1-Workstation
Processor Intel XEON E3-1275V2 / E3-1230V3
Motherboard ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 / AsRock H87 Performance
Cooling Corsair H80i Watercooling
Memory 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2400
Video Card(s) Inno3D GTX 780 Ti
Storage 2TB SSD(4X OCZ vertex 4 256GB LSI RAID0 + Crucial M550 1TB)
Display(s) 2x Dell U3011 30" IPS
Case Silverstone Raven 03
Audio Device(s) Xonar Essence STX--> Xonar Essence One --> SPL Auditor -->Hivi X6
Power Supply Corsair AX860i Platinum
Software Windows 8.1 Enterprise
OH! NOW THATS SEXY!

System Name Big Devil
Processor Intel Core i5-2500K
Motherboard ECS P67H2-A2
Cooling XSPC Rasa | Black Ice GT Stealth 240 | XSPC X2O 750 | 2x ACF12PWM | PrimoChill White 7/16"
Memory 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance LP Arctic White 1600MHz CL9
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 780 ACX SC
Storage Intel 520 Series 180GB + WD 1TB Blue
Display(s) HP ZR30W 30" 2650x1600 IPS
Case Corsair 600T SE
Audio Device(s) Xonar Essence STX | Sennheisser PC350 "Hero" Modded | Corsair SP2500
Power Supply ABS SL 1050W (Enermax Revolution Rebadge)
Software Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/ Media Center
Benchmark Scores Ducky Year of the Snake w/ Cherry MX Browns & Year of the Tiger PBT Keycaps | Razer Deathadder Black
I think I'd call this "geek chic."

System Name natr0n-PC
Processor Ryzen 5950x/5600x
Motherboard B450 AORUS M
Cooling EK AIO 360 - 6 fan action
Memory Patriot - Viper Steel DDR4 (B-Die)(4x8GB)
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070ti FTW
Storage Various
Display(s) PIXIO IPS 240Hz 1080P
Case Thermaltake Level 20 VT
Audio Device(s) LOXJIE D10 + Kinter Amp + 6 Bookshelf Speakers Sony+JVC+Sony
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III ARGB 80+ Gold 650W
Software XP/7/8.1/10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.x86.fr/79kuh6
Looks nice yes.

The fancy polished casing is actually the drive itself.

You can tell by the ring/spindle.

System Name Big Devil
Processor Intel Core i5-2500K
Motherboard ECS P67H2-A2
Cooling XSPC Rasa | Black Ice GT Stealth 240 | XSPC X2O 750 | 2x ACF12PWM | PrimoChill White 7/16"
Memory 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance LP Arctic White 1600MHz CL9
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 780 ACX SC
Storage Intel 520 Series 180GB + WD 1TB Blue
Display(s) HP ZR30W 30" 2650x1600 IPS
Case Corsair 600T SE
Audio Device(s) Xonar Essence STX | Sennheisser PC350 "Hero" Modded | Corsair SP2500
Power Supply ABS SL 1050W (Enermax Revolution Rebadge)
Software Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/ Media Center
Benchmark Scores Ducky Year of the Snake w/ Cherry MX Browns & Year of the Tiger PBT Keycaps | Razer Deathadder Black
I don't actually think it's the drive itself. After I read another article it's a 5mm drive in a 7mm casing, they just stylized the casing to look like a HDD casing and to keep it super thin.