• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel's new Skylake CPU removes support for USB based Win 7 install

Raw

System Name it's a computer
Processor INTEL i5-2500K OC'ed @ 4.5GHz
Motherboard ASUS Z68-V DELUXE Gen3
Cooling NOCTURA NH-C14
Memory 16 GB CORSAIR Vengeance (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 970 SSC 4GB
Storage Intel® Solid-State Drive 730 Series SSDSC2BP240G4R5 2.5" 240GB SATA 6Gb/s MLC
Display(s) SAMSUNG 24HD Model # 2494 Sync Master
Case CM HAF 922
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply CORSAIR Gold AX850 Full Modular
Software Windows 10
Wanting new hardware, but not new OS, to me, is fail. I 100% support the idea that if you want new hardware, you gotta buy a new OS, too. Running software from 5 years ago on new hardware is just more work for the OS maker, and that takes resources away from them doing things right in the first place. I'd much rather see investment in the future, rather than the past. And looking for old software to work old hardware is simply that... investing in the past.

WinXP is 14 years old. Windows 7 is 6 years old. Both are dinosaurs in the hardware world, so if you want to run legacy software, you should run it on legacy hardware.
Makes sense and I have to agree with you. "I'd much rather see investment in the future, rather than the past."
Has it been 14 years already...holy shit!

We have one machine that is windows 95 on our network. AFAIK, it hasnt been rebooted or turned off in years. Im not even sure what the purpose of the machine is.

These machines just insert stuff into mail. I understand they run hundreds of thousands of letters a day.

Processor Intel® Celeron® Processor G1101
Motherboard Supermicro® MBD-C7SIM-Q-B
Memory 8 GB Silicon Power SP004GBLTU133N02/W02
Video Card(s) Sapphire FirePro™ 2270 + AMD Radeon™ HD 8740
Storage 1000 GB Toshiba P300 HDWD110UZSVA
Display(s) 29" LG 29UM57-P
Case Chieftec LBX-02B-U3
Power Supply 650W XFX XXX Edition (P1-650X-XXB9)
Software Windows Server 2016
It shouldn't be too hard for someone to create a Windows 7 ISO with a generic Microsoft USB3 driver.
Sorry, but it doesn't work as of now. Intel has a pretty complicated implementation of their USB 3.0 hub, which basically sits on top of a secondary device, so when Windows PE loads your copy of Intel USB 3.0 driver software, only the "bottom-level" eXHC device starts working, while the other thing that you need (xHCI Root Hub with your USB drive attached to one of its ports) remains inactive for it's "located" on that very host controller.

To be honest, you get the same architecture with USB 1.1/2.0, but in that case both the controller and root hub are already working when the PE environment is loaded, while with USB 3.0 you basically have to restart your PC after getting eXHC to work, so... Yeah. You can't really do that, hah.

My theory is that you can perform a two-stage "fake" Windows installation, during one of which you will install an eXHC driver, then commit changes back to ISO, and then spin everything up again and finish up with installing the actual USB 3.0 Root Hub driver (and then your ISO should be ready for shipment). It's totally different from using a "safe" Answer File-based approach, but if it works, that would be really cool. Well, as long as Intel provides you with said Windows 7-compatible driver for your USB 3.0 hardware, which might not happen with Skylake.

Oh, and sadly there's no "Generic Microsoft USB 3.0" driver for Windows 7. I mean, as far as I'm concerned, it doesn't exist, and OEMs/IHVs are responsible for providing it solely on their behalf. In Windows 8+, sure, but not in legacy operating systems.

Last edited: