• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

SLI with different cards

djm67

I have exactly the same problem with two different vram size 760 cards, but I found a way to resolve it:
  1. Change OS to Windows 7
  2. Use latest driver 347.09
  3. Connect the monitor to the card which has fewer memory
I haven't use this program yet, just used the coolbits (set in register with value 18), it worked well in Windows 7 64bit.
It spend more than 30 seconds during enabling SLI in console panel and I want to try this program in Windows 8.

I tried Coolbits and I could get the cards to SLi in the desktop environment, but as soon as I wanted to play a game it would freeze at the launch stage.

matjaz

Hello all :)
im new here.. i know that this is gonna be stupid one...but,..is it possible to pair Quadro 4000 and GTX 460 ?
thanx for replay :)

SimpyD

Not sure whats going on, I did a fresh install of my drivers, and now install.cmd won't work at all on newest driver.
SignTool Error: File not found . using 347.09 and modified file.

Then when pc restarts my drivers won't work and I have to reinstall them. So i tried using Older 344.16 and the patcher works but again Install.cmd nope nothing.
I don't see any DifferentSLIAUTO certificates anywhere when I look, Been at this for awhile and not sure what else to do. UAC is off using regedit command. So odd
I cannot even get older driver version working. Avast is disabled like always.

I tried Coolbits and I could get the cards to SLi in the desktop environment, but as soon as I wanted to play a game it would freeze at the launch stage.

Yes, the same result to me in windows 8 64bit, in Windows 7 64bit both desktop environment and games worked well.

VAND3R

Not sure whats going on, I did a fresh install of my drivers, and now install.cmd won't work at all on newest driver.
SignTool Error: File not found . using 347.09 and modified file.

Then when pc restarts my drivers won't work and I have to reinstall them. So i tried using Older 344.16 and the patcher works but again Install.cmd nope nothing.
I don't see any DifferentSLIAUTO certificates anywhere when I look, Been at this for awhile and not sure what else to do. UAC is off using regedit command. So odd
I cannot even get older driver version working. Avast is disabled like always.

you can use the driver sign tool and then just install it manually, be sure to enable test mode also. the driver sign tool is called dseo.

okay guess what!
I didn't get the driver crash when i plugged in only one monitor and also switched the output from the 670 to the 660ti.
now i feel kinda stupid though because i changed two variables at once and now i don't know what fixed it soooo.....
but thanks!

Glad to hear that! and thanks for your thanks :)

I don't know how SLI works but I just feeling that when there are two different cards, the card which has fewer shading units, lower memory bus and smaller vram size should be set as 'main' graphics card, when the monitor plugged in to the card, it will be changed to 'main'.

Last edited:

VAND3R

Glad to hear that! and thanks for your thanks :)

I don't know how SLI works but I just feeling that when there are two different cards, the card which has fewer shading units, lower memory bus and smaller vram size should be set as 'main' graphics card, when the monitor plugged in to the card, it will be changed to 'main'.

I did a test to see if it was fact of multiple monitors or that it was plugged into the 670, the issue was that the monitors were plugged into the 670. I can still use my multimonitor setup on the 660ti

ZiggyStardust

I'm trying to SLI two 970s, a Gigabyte G1 gaming and an EVGA SSC. They're definitely both the exact same card aside from the cooler, but I can't seem to get them to work. They're both recognized in the device manager and they both work individually in either slot of my motherboard (which has 8x/8x support) yet the SLI option is grey'd out in the Nvidia control panel.

I ran the driver version 349.07 installer and the result looks like this

This has no effect on anything as far as I can tell. What am I doing wrong? I've done clean installs/wipes/ etc. and get this result every time.

Differentsli 1.2 and patched 347.09 nvlddmkm.sys file worked for me.installed driver,had other file in differentsli 1.2 folder .administrative cmd prompt,copied link and added install to make the
install in the differensli 1.2 folder function .did its little panrty said to reboot and i had sli function in control pane and turned on sli. thanks goes out to ember for all his work.

Janio_scjr

I can Enable SLI now with my 2xGTX970 (EVGA/PNY), but it seems I 'm not having the recommended performance. It has a notification that I should connect a sli bridge for a maximum 3D performance.

maranzag

NOT good for me too: EVGA GTX 590 + GTX 580.
Win 7 x64, 347.09, no SLI/3 SLI enabled (3 SLI motherboard enabled), only 2 GPUs in SLI of the 590, 580 still alone.

maranzag

long time and no answer but : a 590 is basically a SLI'ed pair of 580 so 580+590 shall be considered as a Tri-SLI and not a different card SLI

Quad SLI capable motherboard with 2 x16 slot mean, for exemple, 2 590 SLI

in CFX a 6970/50+6990 is a trifire unless Nvidia do it the oposite way 580+590 should be same
(as long as the 590 has 3gb (ie: 2x1.5gb) and the 580 1.5gb or 590 6gb(i dont think it exist :wtf:) and 580 3gb)
I'm just try to Multi-SLI it, EVGA 590 Classified + GTX 580.
In facts, DifferentSLI not work, the SLI is available only for 590's GPUs, 580 still not considered in SLI, for now.
I don't get damage, for now.

OlegMarucmp

SLI stucks on enabling at Nvidia control panel (control panel app "not responding")

Windows 7
PC - Dell Precision 490 (Dell native motherboard, 2 Xeons 3ghz, 24 gb RAM, 750 w powersupp)
1 PCI-e x8 slot - Gainward GTX 560 2 gb RAM
3 PCI-e x8 slot - MSI GTX 760 twin frozr 2 gb RAM (Display connected)

Apply drivers (ok, reboot), Apply DifferentSLIAuto 1.2 (ok), Apply install (ok, reboot)

System reboots, and when i tried to turn on SLI at Nvidia Control Panel, app stucks.
Any ideas?

@OlegMarucmp GTX 560 and GTX 760 are not from the same GPU family, it will not work.
GTX 560 = DEV_108x
GTX 760 = DEV_118x
As a rule of thumb, first three of the DEV ID must match. The patch forces the SLI option to be available no matter what. Use cases for this are doing "unsupported" SLI with GTX 680 with GTX 770 or quad SLI 780 (which was made "unsupported" after release by NVIDIA). Also, as a side effect of forcing SLI to be available it's useful for enabling SLI on motherboards that are not "SLI Certified."

@djm67 did you try swapping the card positions in the PCI-E slots. Cards with mismatched frame buffer size are problematic to get working properly. There is nothing I can do to help as this is a NVIDIA driver issue. If the frame buffer cannot be copied between the card, it will crash. 4GB frame buffer cannot fit into 2GB frame buffer.

@maranzag Someone tried to do GTX 690 with GTX 680 and it didn't work either, so I'm not surprised that this did not work.

I am happy to hear back that people are getting SLI option enabled, which is the point of the patch. Actually getting SLI working is a different story that I can't really help resolve other than you get lucky and get two cards from the same GPU family that are happy to work together.

djm67

@djm67 did you try swapping the card positions in the PCI-E slots. Cards with mismatched frame buffer size are problematic to get working properly. There is nothing I can do to help as this is a NVIDIA driver issue. If the frame buffer cannot be copied between the card, it will crash. 4GB frame buffer cannot fit into 2GB frame buffer.

I am happy to hear back that people are getting SLI option enabled, which is the point of the patch. Actually getting SLI working is a different story that I can't really help resolve other than you get lucky and get two cards from the same GPU family that are happy to work together.

Completely understand, appreciative that someone is working on the issue.

It is so wrong of nVidia to deliberately stop cards working together that could by way of their software.

I am quite positive that they could easily code their software to recognise and make cards communicate with each other in some form of SLI.

OlegMarucmp

@OlegMarucmp GTX 560 and GTX 760 are not from the same GPU family, it will not work.
GTX 560 = DEV_108x
GTX 760 = DEV_118x
As a rule of thumb, first three of the DEV ID must match. The patch forces the SLI option to be available no matter what. Use cases for this are doing "unsupported" SLI with GTX 680 with GTX 770 or quad SLI 780 (which was made "unsupported" after release by NVIDIA). Also, as a side effect of forcing SLI to be available it's useful for enabling SLI on motherboards that are not "SLI Certified."

Ember, thank u soooo much! I understand now, that all is OK with my PC and mboard, and problem is only in card conflict. That's really fine for me - i've looking for opportunity to set two GTX 760 cards in SLI mode. Using GTX 560 was only test to my DELL motherboard SLI mode.
Interesting, that 2 GTX 560 Ti works at SLI mode on my motherboard, but only with old Nvidia drivers. If i set WHQL 347.09, SLI refuses to work.

U really do kind business, Ember. Thank you, u are good guy. Long live to ya!

maranzag

@maranzag Someone tried to do GTX 690 with GTX 680 and it didn't work either, so I'm not surprised that this did not work.
It is possible that DifferentSLI take care to enable only SLI conditions and not 3-way SLI?
How can I detect that?
Or as just sayd from @OlegMarucmp, in WHQL 347.09 there is some kind of disabling of that, and using older driver/DifferentSLI versions maybe solve?

347.25 WHQL appears to patch correctly with DifferentSLIAuto 1.2. Waiting for confirmation from users.

OlegMarucmp

Is there information sheet about working configurations of GeForce cards supported with DifferentSLIAuto?
In format like this, for example:

GTX 960 + GTX 960 TI = working fine
GTX 560 + GTX 760 = not supported
etc...

Or may be we can make such sheet together? It will be usefull for everybody, i think.
For me:
MSI GTX 560 ti 1GB + MSI GTX 560 ti 1 GB = working fine on old DELL PRECISION 490 with non-sli MB

@OlegMarucmp it's in the first post a list of device IDs. As I said it is a rule of thumb that the first three characters must match. Sometimes the first three can match but SLI will not work properly. Additionally, since it's not an officially supported combination it may work properly in some versions of the driver and be broken in others. No guarantees.

Sasin2k11

OK reporting in that patch 1.2 is now flawless works like a charm no issues whatsoever getting the latest driver to date 347.25 WHQL working.