• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NSA Internet Surveillance Program ransomware virus help

FireFox

The Power Of Intel
Processor Intel i7 10700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus XII Hero
Cooling 2x Black Ice Nemesis GTX 480 - 1x Black Ice Nemesis GTX 420 - D5 VPP655P - 13x Corsair LL120 - LL140
Memory 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 3600Hz
Video Card(s) EVGA GEFORCE RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 500GB/1TB - WD Blue SN550 1TB - 2 X WD Blue 1TB - 3 X WD Black 1TB
Display(s) Asus ROG PG278QR 2560x1440 144Hz (Overclocked 165Hz )/ Samsung
Case Corsair Obsidian 1000D
Audio Device(s) I prefer Gaming-Headset
Power Supply Enermax MaxTytan 1250W 80+ Titanium
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard Virtuis Advanced Gaming Keyboard ( Batboard )
Software Windows 10 Enterprise/Windows 10 Pro/Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores My PC runs FiFA
Sorry to hear about it :( Hopefully you didn't have to waste too much time getting your system back up again... I've done it many times in the past - nowadays I love a good backup :D
nah it doesnt bother me at all a fresh install.
Btw all my datas are in my WHS and extra HDD, with that said if something happend i dont loos anything:clap:

Last edited:
Processor Intel Core i7-4790 Haswell Quad-Core 3.6GHz LGA 1150 84W
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-H87-D3H LGA 1150 Intel H87 HDMI
Cooling CPU - Cooler Master Hyper T4 / Case - cooler master 120mm rear case fan (Air cooling)
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Video Card(s) GTX1060 6GB
Storage Samsung 512 GB 840 PRO SSD Main Drive and Samsung 512 GB 840 EVO SSD Backup Drive
Display(s) ASUS 23" LED Monitor
Case COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 (silver & black)
Audio Device(s) (onboard audio) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply CORSAIR SU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V
Software Windows 10 Home Premium 64bit Edition
Ok, so I'm first? Let's go, then.

First off, you should consider buying an SSD for installing your OS, this will make you happy every day.

sorry about that, I haven't up[dated my system specs since 2009
they are now up to date and accurate

Last edited:
nah it doesnt bother me at all a fresh install.
Btw all my datas are in my WHS and extra HDD, with that said if something happend i dont loos anything:clap:
That would bother me indeed... although a fresh install is recommended once in a while, right? I'm just uncomfortable having 4 weeks of tweaking my systems & programs options on my hands for the sake of one damn piece of malware that got to me... Are those complete system images on your backup devices? Or only data files?
Looking at your avatar, I think you might offer keakar some other AV solution :D Is ESET that good? I'm curious :)

ok, sorry about that, I haven't updated my specs since 2009
they are updated now, hopefully what you said all still applies
Hmm? Can't see any difference... Advice(s) still apply :) Man, you need to increase your RAM, if possible! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

FireFox

The Power Of Intel
Cooling 2x Black Ice Nemesis GTX 480 - 1x Black Ice Nemesis GTX 420 - D5 VPP655P - 13x Corsair LL120 - LL140
Storage Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 500GB/1TB - WD Blue SN550 1TB - 2 X WD Blue 1TB - 3 X WD Black 1TB
That would bother me indeed... although a fresh install is recommended once in a while, right? I'm just uncomfortable having 4 weeks of tweaking my systems & programs options on my hands for the sake of one damn piece of malware that got to me... Are those complete system images on your backup devices? Or only data files?
Looking at your avatar, I think you might offer keakar some other AV solution :D Is ESET that good? I'm curious :)
I do a fresh install every 1 year, I just need 1 hour to tweak my system as was before, are just Data files, I used ESET long time ago and all what I can say that is a very good antivirus, but i use Kaspersky since 2009.

Sorry, keakar I was a little bit harsh :( OK, your RAM is totally OK, thanks for the update :)

Cooling CPU - Cooler Master Hyper T4 / Case - cooler master 120mm rear case fan (Air cooling)
Storage Samsung 512 GB 840 PRO SSD Main Drive and Samsung 512 GB 840 EVO SSD Backup Drive
Sorry, keakar I was a little bit harsh :( OK, your RAM is totally OK, thanks for the update :)

no its cool, I didn't find it harsh at all because your right, my old outdated and non-updated specs were very outdated for systems we build today. I updated them now to show what I have today

Last edited:
no its cool, I didn't find it harsh at all because your right, my specs were very outdated for systems we build today
Thanks. Hope my advice (or any other) will help you out. Don't worry, you'll have your system running up in perfect condition in no time! :cool: Take care, Heaven7.

Ok, so I'm first? Let's go, then.

First off, you should consider buying an SSD for installing your OS, this will make you happy every day. Install Windows 7, check automatic updates - after completion this is the first thing you'll want to do - update.
Next, disable the "remote registry service". Press the Windows key + R, type in "services.msc" and set this service to "disabled". Turning off the "Remote differential compression" under "Programs and Features" -> "Install/uninstall Windows Programs" will enhance speed (it did for me, at least).
Then, disable System Restore an ALL drives (go to the control panel to do so).
Basic installation awareness: Do not opt to participate in any "improvement programs" nor should you allow any automatic "error reporting". ALWAYS check every option you selected. If you are offered a "Custom Install", DO it.
Then you absolutely need to make your browsing more secure! I recommend Firefox, download it and get the following vital add-ons:
AdBlockPlus, Ghostery, HTTPS Everywhere and NoScript. Set it as your default browser and do not use Internet Explorer, if you can.
Get your AV! I personally recommend AVG, their free version is OK, however you really should invest the few extra bucks for the paid Internet Security version. Update it and allow "in the cloud" verification. Then perform a full scan, be careful to enable "scan for PUPs", "enable thorough scanning" and "enhanced set of PUPs" in the advanced options under "Scans".
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is your friend out there. Install it and don't choose the free PRO-trial, unless you want that extra protection. I can't tell you if this will interfere with your AV, though - never tried it.
Spybot S&D is the second tool of my choice. Download version 1.6.2 (and this version only!), it can "immunize" your hosts-file, blocking the most atrocious & well-known badsites from being accessed. It also is a little more thorough than Malwarebytes, if it can't detect this and that. Set it to scan "all file sets". Forget Microsoft Security Essentials, bottom-of-the-line, IMO. :)
Install Priform's "Ccleaner" to rid your system of junk, one of the most popular downloads out there :) Check it out!
Set Windows Backup to automatically run (best on an external disk, if available) and let it "include a system image". If you have a blank DVD handy and you don't have an original Win7 disc, use the "Create a system repair disc" feature now. I personally use "DriveImage XML", a wonderful lightweight backup program, should you need an alternative.
After that, install all programs that you need (duh!), the FlashPlayer for your browser should ONLY be downloaded from www.adobe.com ! Don't klick on anything that says "Klick! "Klick me!" "Free offer! "Yu win 5 milion dolarsc!" Be rational and alert while on the internet. You know that, of course.
Run regular scans with your AV and the anti-malware programs, and if you're certain your system is clean, back it up now!
Those are my personal "brandboy" recommendations :) I'm sure others may disagree, but you have the advantage of getting a variety of (hopefully) good alternatives. Hang in there, keakar! :D

from this list of suggestions i can say I already use ccleaner (great stuff).

let me add what I use right now in case anyone sees something they wish to comment on, every day I run these as a regular practice:

superantispyware
registry clean expert (also used to remove all BHO and delete all startup entries except antivirus)
internet options (all options checked for deletion) - windows
disk cleanup - windows
ccleaner

and I got lazy and never run avast unless I think I need to, its pretty darn good at stopping everything and so I rely on its real time monitoring to catch everything before it gets on my computer. once every couple of months I might run a boot scan with it but it has never found anything on my computer that got passed it.

to my knowledge the ONLY thing that ever got past it is this stupid NSA thing and about once every 6 ,months I delete and reinstall it just in case something got to it to change it like some virus will do to hack the antivirus program first

Thanks. Hope my advice (or any other) will help you out. Don't worry, you'll have your system running up in perfect condition in no time! :cool: Take care, Heaven7.

yep, it just takes time to reload everything.

by the way does anyone know a link to someplace I can get a legitimate windows 7 home premium install disk download that has sp1 built in? I tried creating my own disk one time but got lost trying to follow the directions and all that so the disks I made would never work or even boot. im pretty sure it was this site where some guys made their own versions without the added bloatware and included all the updates to make installs go faster.

I have my own COD and key but I have a first edition windows 7 (pre sp1) so I need like 350 windows updates after installing this thing, im wondering if its worth it to just buy a new version with sp2 built into it if they have one. if not is there any suggestions how to reduce the number of all the updates I need?

from this list of suggestions i can say I already use ccleaner (great stuff).
let me add what I use right now in case anyone sees something they wish to comment on, every day I run these as a regular practice:
superantispyware
registry clean expert (also used to remove all BHO and delete all startup entries except antivirus)
internet options (all options checked for deletion) - windows
disk cleanup - windows
keakar, please tell us what kind of browser you are using! Registry Clean Expert is a great program, I use it too, as an enhancement to Ccleaner. SuperAntispyware is also a good program, so knowing that you use all of these convinces me all the more that the problems you are facing are related to your browser and its settings! Those settings are the most likely to get you into trouble while surfing (and getting "automated" installations of malware). BHO removal is good practice, as is checking autostart entries. However, I use these practices too, and cannot easily get this malware to install itself. Please fill us in on the details :)

FireFox

The Power Of Intel
so I need like 350 windows updates after installing this thing,
Well when I do a fresh install i have to install over 250 updates, Windows 7 Professional (Key better not to tell)

keakar, please tell us what kind of browser you are using! Registry Clean Expert is a great program, I use it too, as an enhancement to Ccleaner. SuperAntispyware is also a good program, so knowing that you use all of these convinces me all the more that the problems you are facing are related to your browser and its settings! Those settings are the most likely to get you into trouble while surfing (and getting "automated" installations of malware). BHO removal is good practice, as is checking autostart entries. However, I use these practices too, and cannot easily get this malware to install itself. Please fill us in on the details :)

I am using explorer 11 I think but it is the explorer Microsoft installs automatically

yes I agree with you, whatever it is I am doing wrong, its something to do with "automated" installations of malware when websites open but its not just dubious websites since yahoo mail and techpowerup were places where I opened and got the NSA crap stuff but the other times I could say it may have been related to untrusted websites

Please fill us in on the details :)

I don't know what you are asking for or what im not telling you so please ask if you are thinking of something.

I avoided going to firefox because it has issues with stuff a lot of times so I didn't want to switch to something that has issues all the time. I don't know anything about browsers but if getting rid of explorer helps how can I do this? its built into windows and windows installs all the latest versions of it automatically

I use adobe reader and flash players directly downloaded only from adobe itself and I use java 64 bit downloaded straight from sun, windows is set to download and install updates automatically, I have Microsoft office 2003 xp version, and I have 7zip and Paint.net and google earth installed (all direct brand source downloads) and that's about it. I have a few games but have no game stuff like punkbuster or gamespy and I only play in single player modes and never click to allow then access past the firewall.

Last edited:

FireFox

The Power Of Intel
I am using explorer 11
I hope you are joking, i don't even remember when was the last time I used Explorer, why don't you use a better browser.

yep, it just takes time to reload everything.
by the way does anyone know a link to someplace I can get a legitimate windows 7 home premium boot disk download that has sp1 built in? I tried creating my own disk one time but got lost trying to follow the directions and all that so the disks I made would never work or even boot.
I have my own COD and key but I have a first edition windows 7 (pre sp1) so I need like 350 windows updates after installing this thing, im wondering if its worth it to just buy a new version with sp2 built into it if they have one. if not is there any suggestions how to reduce the number of all the updates I need?
Windows 7 was released in 2009. Any installation disk you have (from Home Premium to Ultimate) will be a copy of that disc. You may download your version of Windows from Microsoft's website for FREE and then let the update function install SP2 and everything else. There is no need to purchase any "updated" version (I don't think they are legit, for that matter, aside from OEM discs :) Yes, it's been a long time since Win7 got released, and that means there's a LOT of updates! Well, there may be updated images floating around the internet, but I'd go the secure way, as described above. Download your version from here: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...download/709dcc12-d120-435d-91cd-52e1dd0f4c24
Then enter your key / activate when online and install all the updates. It's the only way to go. You want to try for some shady pre-built SP2-images? Be my guest, but don't complain afterwards :) If I can help you in any way, please let me know. In the meantime - good luck.

I avoided going to firefox because it has issues with stuff a lot of times so I didn't want to switch to something that has issues all the time. I don't know anything about browsers but if getting rid of explorer helps how can I do this? its built into windows and windows installs all the latest versions of it automatically
Like I said, install your alternative browser, make it your DEFAULT browser and give it a try. What issues exactly did you experience with firefox? These may have been related to malware already having infected your system! There are also portable browsers available, that do not need installation. Easy to try as an alternative. Internet Explorer can be removed completely from Win7, although many programs such as Skype (and even gadgets) rely on its functions. My suggestion is to just leave it installed - no problem, but to make Firefox/Chrome/Opera your DEFAULT browser. You can check this if you go to "Control Panel" -> "Default Programs" -> select "Custom" and deny Internet Explorer its rights by removing the checkmark next to "allow access to this program". Done! :) Any updates will affect the IE, but will not change your configuration. Give it a try. :)

Windows 7 was released in 2009. Any installation disk you have (from Home Premium to Ultimate) will be a copy of that disc. You may download your version of Windows from Microsoft's website for FREE and then let the update function install SP2 and everything else. There is no need to purchase any "updated" version (I don't think they are legit, for that matter, aside from OEM discs :) Yes, it's been a long time since Win7 got released, and that means there's a LOT of updates! Well, there may be updated images floating around the internet, but I'd go the secure way, as described above. Download your version from here: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...download/709dcc12-d120-435d-91cd-52e1dd0f4c24
Then enter your key / activate when online and install all the updates. It's the only way to go. You want to try for some shady pre-built SP2-images? Be my guest, but don't complain afterwards :) If I can help you in any way, please let me know. In the meantime - good luck.
no I only want something trusted and legit, a loooong time ago I remember people assembling xp install disks that had sp1, 2 and 3 built in to save time and thought it might be the same for win 7.

just to be clear, are you saying Microsoft has fully updated downloads you can use or it the same as the holodisk I have now? because I have the original and was just hoping to find a shortcut version that already contained sp1 and the updates?

ok, I cant remember what it was but my dad was trying firefox for a while and he kept having issues finding some programs didnt want to work and I guess maybe it was just a learning curve thing or it wasn't set up right. I know some software doesn't want to work on firefox and some acts that way with chrome so my niece has both on her laptop because some of her school software programs just wont on chrome and some just wont run if she doesn't switch to firefox.

so that brings up the question, in order of best choices, what are the recommended browsers for simple basic easy to use secure browsers.

@Knoxx29
no im not kidding, I have been using explorer way back since win xp days and while it wasn't something I loved I never felt the need to search for an alternative.

im like, if its not broke leave it alone kinda guy so out of laziness I just went along with whatever windows gave me. until now

as you guys educate me, I can see there is a lot I need to do better

no I only want something trusted and legit, a loooong time ago I remember people assembling xp install disks that had sp1, 2 and 3 built in to save time and thought it might be the same for win 7.

just to be clear, are you saying Microsoft has fully updated downloads you can use or it the same as the holodisk I have now? because I have the original and was just hoping to find a shortcut version that already contained sp1 and the updates?
No, keakar I recommend you just pop that disc you have into your PC now, install it, activate it using your legit key and then update using the windows function to do so. I also recall those XP days :), but I wouldn't take any risks nowadays. Hey, maybe the NSA has an easy Win7 SP4 disc ready for download??? :D Just kidding :) Please give it a try - it will take some time, but at least you'll be safe. "If it's not broke - leave it", well... if it wasn't, you wouldn't be asking for help here, would you? :)

No, keakar I recommend you just pop that disc you have into your PC now, install it, activate it using your legit key and then update using the windows function to do so. I also recall those XP days :), but I wouldn't take any risks nowadays. Hey, maybe the NSA has an easy Win7 SP4 disc ready for download??? :D Just kidding :) Please give it a try - it will take some time, but at least you'll be safe. "If it's not broke - leave it", well... if it wasn't, you wouldn't be asking for help here, would you? :)
yep, I was just hoping there was a shorter way, my internet isn't slow but I recall its like 3 hours of updates after windows is installed. cant imagine if I had a slower non SSD drive trying to do it

since im not going to be using explorer anymore don't I need to turn that off early so im not getting all the explorer update crap? that might save a lot of update time.

yep I was just hoping there was a shorter way, my internet isn't slow but I recall its like 3 hours of updates after windows is installed.
since im not going to be using explorer anymore don't I need to turn that off early so im not getting all the explorer update crap? that might save a lot of update time.
Well... 3 hours of updates are not so bad, no? I recall those old days having a very SLOW connection... 10 hours sound OK? :) - I wish I could shorten that period with a SP2 image, perhaps somebody else around here has some suggestions. Beware of shady "ready to go" images though :D
Like I mentioned you can uninstall IE completely in Win7 (unlike Vista), however I suggest you leave it enabled in the "background", like the way I described earlier. Windows will happily keep it up-to-date and it will not interfere with your alternative browser. I don't think IE updates are all that common, you shouldn't worry about them. You'll forget it's even there. I'm sure you'll get accustomed to Firefox in no time :), any questions will be gladly answered! :D

Must have been blind, just spotted the SSD in your specs... :laugh: Way to go! Strike suggestion #1 from my advice... :D

System Name Rainbow
Processor Intel Core i7 8700k
Motherboard MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC
Cooling Corsair H115i, 2x Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC-3000 PWM
Memory G. Skill TridentZ RGB 4x8GB (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR)
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GeForce RTX 3090 Trinity
Storage 2x Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | 2xHGST Deskstar 4TB 7.2K
Display(s) Samsung C27HG70
Case Xigmatek Aquila
Power Supply Seasonic 760W SS-760XP
Mouse Razer Deathadder 2013
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K95
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 4 trillion points in GmailMark, over 144 FPS 2K Facebook Scrolling (Extreme Quality preset)
but its not just dubious websites since yahoo mail and techpowerup were places where I opened and got the NSA crap stuff (but the other times I could say it may have been related to untrusted websites)
The scam viruses like that remain hidden until they can encrypt all your data and only show their metaphorical cards when they have everything locked down.

Things like this typically get in by either disguising itself as a trojan horse (common of malicious websites or piracy/file-sharing), or by browser exploit from visiting a malicious page. I, personally, highly doubt anyone/anything is using any built-in backdoor wizardry to bypass all your routers and software firewall. This is someone who managed to just barely hobble together a program and figured out some way to trick you into downloading it. If you put a fresh Windows 7 trial machine with all the recent Windows updates installed, turn off the software firewall and did nothing except let it sit idle on a public IP out in the open, I bet the machine wouldn't have a single issue at the end of the 30 day trial. Take that same machine, put it behind a thousand hardware firewalls, and visit ONE malicious website with Internet Explorer, you'll be infected. Why? You went out and requested that content, so the firewall allowed it.

If it's a huge concern and an option, I suggest Linux. Security through obscurity. It's not virus/hack-proof like the typical Linux hype would suggest, but Windows and Mac are usually attacked due to their popularity. If you're spending time to make something to infiltrate the masses, you'll want to go with the largest market share to get the most out of it.
For many, running Windows is non-negotiable. In this case, you just have to throw caution to the wind. Many browsers these days watch for malicious websites and will warn you when it comes across a known one, but the one I think does the best job at it is Google's Chrome. (Well, all of Google's products, actually.)

can you advise the best antivirus that is not bloated with extras you don't need?
I prefer Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (MBAM). I don't like realtime scanners and only use something like MBAM to scan individual files that I'm suspicious of (or a full scan if I suspect something might have snuck past me). MBAM's pro version unlocks realtime scanning if that's something you'd prefer. For a free scanner that does realtime too, I'm not too sure. AVG Free used to be a good one. Probably isn't a bad option still.
can you advise the best spyware remover that is not bloated with extras you don't need?
Malwarebytes does both antivirus and antispyware.
can you advise the best antispyware that is not bloated with extras you don't need?
Same as above.
can you give your opinion on Microsoft essentials, if they are any good or not worth using because other things are better?
Decently light on resources, catches a good number of malware. Good for a free option, but a common target for viruses to try to disable. Unfortunately, it's so popular, it gets attacked often.
basic stuff you would advise a novice what they need to best protect their computer.
Always get software from the source, not a third party since they may add malicious things to the installer. Always check reviews. Watch for third-party programs trying to sneak their way in through other installers.
please re-educate me on the best ways and things to use to protect my computer.
When in doubt, Google it. There's a very good chance someone else has had the exact same issue or question you have.

[sarcasm]In NSA you can trust.[/sarcasm] :rolleyes:
..and if you lose any of your files, just call them and ask for a copy of the backup. :laugh:

All I can do is totally agree! Thanks for the advice, xvi - I always prefer to keep my backups on a reliable, secure NSA server! :D

The scam viruses like that remain hidden until they can encrypt all your data and only show their metaphorical cards when they have everything locked down.. :laugh:

well that does make sense, I hadn't thought about it being a sleeper virus.

Well... 3 hours of updates are not so bad, no? I recall those old days having a very SLOW connection... 10 hours sound OK? :) - I wish I could shorten that period with a SP2 image, perhaps somebody else around here has some suggestions. Beware of shady "ready to go" images though :D

please don't remind me of those 16 hour reformat and reinstall marathons lol :banghead:

and yes im very leary of where I get a service pack or updates download so that's why I wasn't websurfing for them and rather ask here where I expect more trusted advice

ok well I haven't done anything with it yet but maybe tonight or tomorrow, windows is borked up but works, some things take forever or lock up and don't run but I can still get online and websurf. I just figure I would get everything I need to know first because I don't want to install or download things just to have to uninstall and cleanup after removing it because I don't need or want it.

so that's what im doing trying to get pointers on correcting my bad computer setup and protection habits

My suggestion is to just leave it installed - no problem, but to make Firefox/Chrome/Opera your DEFAULT browser. You can check this if you go to "Control Panel" -> "Default Programs" -> select "Custom" and deny Internet Explorer its rights by removing the checkmark next to "allow access to this program". Done! :) Any updates will affect the IE, but will not change your configuration. Give it a try. :)

but if explorer isn't secure then doesnt just still having it on there leave a window for someone to gain access they cant get through chrome or firefox?

Well when I do a fresh install i have to install over 250 updates, Windows 7 Professional (Key better not to tell)
you must have the version that already includes sp1 then, after I get all the updates and then it adds sp1 update, then it tells me it has like 228 more updates after rebooting, then its just like a dozen or so more one or two at a time after that.

FireFox

The Power Of Intel
you must have the version that already includes sp1 then, after I get all the updates and then it adds sp1 update, then it tells me it has like 228 more updates after rebooting, then its just like a dozen or so more one or two at a time after that.
Been honest i dont even know which version I have, I Downloaded it from Internet, btw it doesn't bother me to install the updates because my Internet is fast enough :)

but if explorer isn't secure then doesnt just still having it on there leave a window for someone to gain access they cant get through chrome or firefox?
Like I said, you can completely remove it, if you like to. In fact, you should do so, as you could always reinstall it through the "Add/Remove Windows Programs" feature, should some application really need it to function. I don't really think IE is a security risk, if you do not use it and it just sleeps within your system, however. It does so on mine, as it cannot be uninstalled in Vista (built into the OS) :( However, I don't feel at risk just because it is there. If you really want to be safe, you could deny IE everything by blocking any internet access for it in your firewall, while using a secure browser with the proper settings enabled.

ok earlier you said to turn off system restore. why? im not having any opinion on this but just want to know why this is something we should do?

it saves me sometimes when I screw something up, I didn't think it was a security issue is it? or is it an uneccessary resource hog or something?

this is the first time I ever heard anyone say not to allow system restore to work

Here's some help - since you have internet access at this point, why not try WSUS update? Go to http://download.wsusoffline.net/ and download the "most recent version". Extract the zip-archive, go to folder and start the "update generator". Check your Windows version & the stuff you'd like to be updated. It will download all updates and save them. You could do this now - before you reinstall. Then, after the fresh install, just open the WSUS folder (save it to some other disk / removable media first, duh!), open the "client" folder, run the "UpdateInstaller"and it will update your fresh system to the point it was before! All without having to connect to the internet and suffering from slow speeds :) Therefore there's no need for any SP2 discs, even if you should have to reinstall anytime in the future.