• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Nvidia GTX 970 problems: This isn't acceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
The reason for upgrade shouldn't be a flawed product that you paid full price you know...

*sighs*

I was speaking to the concept of 6 month newer games running slower. I am not excusing NVIDIAs behavior, I wish they'd just come clean about it, but I can not and will not attribute any so called "stuttering issue" to it when it just plain doesn't make technical sense.

The most amusing crime here is the fact I have one, thousands of people (some who don't even own one) are complaining about this very clear and factually represented defect, returning their cards for some obscure purpose, and yet for some reason I don't care in the slightest.

I know that my card is crippled, I know that if I spontaneously decide to use DSR to go from 1440p up to ultra mega super HD and then scale it down again that my card will literally soil itself and make a smutty stuttery gooey mess inside its poor little gimped memory units.

And yet, still, for some unknown reason, I don't care.

My processor looks down from its lofty 1150 socket on high, stares down at the 970 below and teases it for all it's disabled parts, fully functioning but worthless parts. Sometimes I try to calm him down, but then some random internet person who's probably not evening running a dedicated GPU of any kind signs up to some forum and starts laughing at how all these 970's are incapable of running at ultra mega big-baller HD through the use of DSR, doesn't bother looking at graphs and tests done to make comparative performance figures and actual performance, but carries on making multiple threads about something which has news articles with comments sections and already existing 100 page threads on countless forums.

Then I realise, I don't use DSR, I'm not buying 4K any time soon, have yet to pass a 4GB requirement, and my card was as cheap as dirt. If it was sold with a puzzling 3.5GB of VRAM, I'd still buy it. Maybe I'm just a terrible idea of a customer, maybe I should be more self entitled, and perhaps I should take up arms with the militia. But frankly, I can't be bothered.

I'm with you man.

I'm against this behavior from a marketing and eithcs standpoint. But I wouldn't get so hurt as to return a card over it. Maybe it's just me. Can't speak because I don't own one lol.

I was more offended when the benchmark cheating NVIDIA pulled went on, honestly.

System Name Mroofie / Mroofie
Processor Inte Cpu i5 4460 3.2GHZ Turbo Boost 3.4
Motherboard Gigabyte B85M-HD3
Cooling Stock Cooling
Memory Apacer DDR3 1333mhz (4GB) / Adata DDR3 1600Mhz(8GB) CL11
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gtx 960 WF
Storage Seagate 1TB / Seagate 80GB / Seagate 1TB (another one)
Display(s) Philips LED 24 Inch 1080p 60Hz
Case Zalman T4
Audio Device(s) Meh
Power Supply Antec Truepower Classic 750W 80 Plus Gold
Mouse Meh
Keyboard Meh
VR HMD Meh
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Meh
lol the butthurt :D

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Heh yeah it's everywhere.

No, it's still quite a good card. You'd be right to be slightly irritated they say "4GBs of ram" when it's really more of 3.5GBs, but that's all. It's still an excellent card.

You'll get fanboys from both sides of course, but fact is it's still an excellent card and not worth a reorder.

You also get the supporters turning on those who bought the card. The inner fighting is more interesting. The 970 is the runner up top tier and all of a sudden you have supporters saying don't push the card to the enthusiast who bought the 970. They also expect those who bought the card and are displeased to suffer from Nvidia Stockholm syndrome.

Nvidia already pulled the plug on a driver fix

Those who were holding on in hopes of a fix will be disappointed TWICE.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
In the OP, one of the VRAM graphs hits a 4GB ceiling. That would cause issues regardless. What would be better for us all is if one of the reviewing sites did a 970/980 comparative review using pre-determined and carefully controlled settings over a few games (not just SoM). What would help is 3-3.5Gb usage, 3.5-4 and 4+. Over half dozen or so games. Then we'd see a nice clean picture about performance.

Nvidia have obviously mislead their AIC partners but I imagine they're reasoning was dubiously business minded (hey it's not really 4Gb -though technically we can sell it like it is - but it still works really well).

Hopefully this fall out will ensure a cheaper than expected price on any consumer GM200, thus helping keep 380X costs down as well.

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
Nvidia already pulled the plug on a driver fix

Only delusional simpletons could have possibly believed a driver would fix this. :laugh:

Rcoon, DSR is the mean to cripple card now. In 6 months time, games will do that on its own without any DSR. I don't think you won't care anymore then...

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
I just don't get how this slow VRAM partition (running DDR5 surely) could ever be slower than the (likely) DDR3 it will eventually dump to? Am I missing something? How could this be linked to the stuttering issue?

And yeah, if by "driver-fix" they mean "unlock the rest of the ram to it's full potential," no, no amount of software is going to do that. But I don't see the stuttering issue and the ram issue as linked. I think we are seeing a placebo effect of sorts by being told there's an issue, and suddenly seeing it for the first time.

Granted I don't own this hardware, and I don't really plan to as I can't afford an upgrade now. But that's my viewpoint.

Rcoon, DSR is the mean to cripple card now. In 6 months time, games will do that on its own without any DSR. I don't think you won't care anymore then...

Heck, I can cripple my R9 290X right now with virtual super resolution and 4k. It cries. It screams. It gets <20FPS and revs it's fans. That's really... not a worry for me and more of a law of limitations of the hardware.

Unless you are talking way way less than 4k of course. I again, don't own the hardware and could be misunderstanding this completely.

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
In the OP, one of the VRAM graphs hits a 4GB ceiling. That would cause issues regardless. What would be better for us all is if one of the reviewing sites did a 970/980 comparative review using pre-determined and carefully controlled settings over a few games (not just SoM). What would help is 3-3.5Gb usage, 3.5-4 and 4+. Over half dozen or so games. Then we'd see a nice clean picture about performance.

Nvidia have obviously mislead their AIC partners but I imagine they're reasoning was dubiously business minded (hey it's not really 4Gb -though technically we can sell it like it is - but it still works really well).

Hopefully this fall out will ensure a cheaper than expected price on any consumer GM200, thus helping keep 380X costs down as well.

I found this marginally useful
www.pcgameshardware.de/Geforce-GTX-970-Grafikkarte-259503/Specials/zu-wenig-VRAM-1149056/galerie/2322863/

Honestly, if it becomes a problem, I'll either turn the settings down or buy a new GPU.

What would help is 3-3.5Gb usage, 3.5-4 and 4+. Over half dozen or so games. Then we'd see a nice clean picture about performance.

I can probably fudge that together somehow this weekend. Not used DSR before, so I'm unsure how accurately I can force 3.4GB usage and 3.8GB usage. Starpoint Gemini II uses 3.4GB at maximum settings on 1440p, so that will be a useful example.

Last edited:
Processor FX6350@4.2ghz-i54670k@4ghz
Video Card(s) HD7850-R9290
I just don't get how this slow VRAM partition (running DDR5 surely) could ever be slower than DDR3? Am I missing something? How could this be linked to the stuttering issue?

And yeah, if by "driver-fix" they mean "unlock the rest of the ram to it's full potential," no, no amount of software is going to do that. But I don't see the stuttering issue and the ram issue as linked. I think we are seeing a placebo effect of sorts by being told there's an issue, and suddenly seeing it for the first time.

Granted I don't own this hardware, and I don't really plan to as I can't afford an upgrade now. But that's my viewpoint.

Heck, I can cripple my R9 290X right now with virtual super resolution and 4k. That's really... not a worry for me and more of a law of limitations of the hardware.

Unless you are talking way way less than 4k of course. I again, don't own the hardware and could be misunderstanding this completely.

haha I already told you.. I respect peoples opinions even if I need to laugh about it as I walk away. anyway.. this has turned from interesting into slightly frustrating so Im just gonna watch from the stands on this one.

You can have insanely fast GDDR5 VRAM, but if the connection between GPU and VRAM is very narrow, all that massive bandwidth memory can make, kinda becomes irrelevant. And that's the exact issue with GTX 970.

People still don't get it that in computer world, whole system is as fast as the weakest component. In this case, the slowest memory segment dictates the overall performance of the card when you pass the 3,5GB memory limit.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
I also wonder how many people think a single 970 is good enough for 60+fps at 1440+ res? There are plenty of titles out there that require more gpu grunt. For me, DA:I runs at about 30-40fps on a single 780ti classified (i disable 2nd because thats enough in a RPG). It takes 2 to ensure 60+fps on max eye candy on BF4 at 1440p. I'm quite sure there will be a few people returning cards due to gpu grunt being mistaken for lack of Vram.

All said, I wouldn't even trust 4GB for 4k gaming.

This is The TechReport take on it

The last 12min is interesting especially the one question Scott said he ask Jonah Allen which set him back and doesnt answer. Which sounds like what a few have been thinking but out of sheer luck I posted it.

System Name HAL
Processor Core i9 13900k @5.8-6.1
Motherboard Z790 Arous master
Cooling EKWB Quantum Velocity V2 & (2) 360 Corsair XR7 Rads push/pull
Memory 2x 32GB (64GB) Gskill trident 6000 CL30 @28 1T
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 Gigagbyte gaming OC @ +200/1300
Storage (M2's) 2x Samsung 980 pro 2TB, 1xWD Black 2TB, 1x SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB
Display(s) 65" LG OLED 120HZ
Case Lian Li dyanmic Evo11 with distro plate
Power Supply Thermaltake 1350
Software Microsoft Windows 11 x64
Frankly the whole 9 series has been nothing but trouble for me so far.
I have had problems since day 1 with them.
blackscreens, freezes, Display detection timeouts, device driver hanging.
They have made more drivers for the 9 series than I have seen in a long time.
They cannot seem to get it right.
All of them have problems.

So tired of upgrading for problems.
Seems to be that now a days they don't give a shit about quality.

System Name MoneySink
Processor 2600K @ 4.8
Motherboard P8Z77-V
Cooling AC NexXxos XT45 360, RayStorm, D5T+XSPC tank, Tygon R-3603, Bitspower
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600C8
Video Card(s) GTX 780 SLI (EVGA SC ACX + Giga GHz Ed.)
Storage Kingston HyperX SSD (128) OS, WD RE4 (1TB), RE2 (1TB), Cav. Black (2 x 500GB), Red (4TB)
Display(s) Achieva Shimian QH270-IPSMS (2560x1440) S-IPS
Case NZXT Switch 810
Audio Device(s) onboard Realtek yawn edition
Power Supply Seasonic X-1050
Software Win8.1 Pro
Benchmark Scores 3.5 litres of Pale Ale in 18 minutes.
I also wonder how many people think a single 970 is good enough for 60+fps at 1440+ res? There are plenty of titles out there that require more gpu grunt. For me, DA:I runs at about 30-40fps on a single 780ti classified (i disable 2nd because thats enough in a RPG). It takes 2 to ensure 60+fps on max eye candy on BF4 at 1440p. I'm quite sure there will be a few people returning cards due to gpu grunt being mistaken for lack of Vram.
Fair observation. The 970 (or the 980 for that matter) isn't instant magic in the battle for high res gaming. Unless you're the kind of person that gets off on single digit framerate increases, it's barely an improvement - if that- over what has already existed (780/780Ti/Titan/290/290X) for a year or more. The only difference was that the performance was made available to the $300-budget crowd, where the step up was significant (less so now with price cutting from AMD), and maybe the expectation runs a little too high amongst some - no doubt helped by the effusive praise heaped on the card, and vendors willingness to bandy around terms such as "4K ready".
All said, I wouldn't even trust 4GB for 4k gaming.
Well coming from the GK 110, you - like me I suspect, will be eyeing a large die 6GB (or larger) card as minimum requirement for an upgrade cycle. One thing seems certain, if the next round of high-end cards come fitted with more than 4GB, the gaming dev programs will damn well make sure that at least the highest game IQ settings will use it. What better way to differentiate a 6-12GB card from the pack than to ensure that max detail stalls out a card with anything less.

JMO

I mean they are still really fast cards for the price. They HAVE 4GB of ram onboard, so that's not really false advertising saying they have 4gb, but maybe they should have in parentheses (3.5Gb effective).

ROPs (original) – 64
ROPs (actual) – 56

L2 cache (original) – 2MB
L2 cache (actual) – 1.75MB

Memory Bandwidth (original) – 224 GB/s for 4GB VRAM
Memory Bandwidth (actual) – 196 GB/s for 7 memory chips totalling 3.5 GB, and 28 GB/s for the remaining 512 MB 8th memory chip.

False advertising.

Proof lies in reviews endorsed/approved by Nvidia: http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-970/reviews

Sure, for most users, at this current point in time, the vram issue is a non-event.

Still, companies shouldn't get to make up specifications and sell products based on that (mis)information.

System Name Old but gold
Processor 3770k @ 4.5Ghz
Motherboard Asus Maximus Gene V
Cooling Hyper 212 Evo
Memory 16Gb 1600 DDR3@2400 Cl11
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 FE
Storage SanDisk Extreme 120Gb SSD (os) , SanDisk 480Gb (Games), WD Caviar Black 4 TB (Games and storage)
Display(s) 32" Samsung HDTV 1080P
Case Some old Dell
Audio Device(s) Onboard HDMI
Power Supply EVGA G2 550w
Software Windows 10 Pro 1903
Has anyone checked if this can also be applied to older cards. Anything over 1.5Gb vram usage on my 2Gb GTX 650 TI stutters and at high framerates. It also appears to cap at 1.5gb

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
nvidia isn't gonna refund anything or offer vouchers for 980's you are dreaming
crying false adverting isn't gonna get you or anybody else anyware
can we stop making threads about this now ....
I don't think that nvidia have responded adequately and I didn't even buy one so I say crack on more threads please.

And im not assed if nv owners get twitchy because there beloved company is getting called out.

NVIDIA EARNED EVERY LETTER OF ABUSE THEY GET ON THIS

False advertising is Exactly what this was. ........... .. ...

System Name White Theme
Processor Intel 12700K CPU
Motherboard ASUS STRIX Z690-A D4
Cooling Lian Li Galahad Uni w/ AL120 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3200 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Aero 4080 Super 16GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 980 Pro PCIE 4.0
Display(s) Alienware 38" 3840x1600 (165Hz)
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO White
Audio Device(s) 2i2 Scarlett Solo + Schiit Magni 3 AMP
Power Supply Corsair HX 1000 Platinum
This has made work stressful for me the past two days, the amount of people requesting to RMA their cards is in abundance. And without an official solution from NVIDIA we've been refunding cards for store credit and people have been either jumping ship to AMD or taking the opportunity to pay the extra for a GTX 980. So a tip, you may be able to pass this problem back to your re-seller to deal with.

Personally I also have this card and it still performs very very close to the 780ti for almost less than half the price, so AFAIK there's really nothing to complain about so far as I've been gaming with max eye candy on a 1080p monitor and do not feel mislead, betrayed or bothered at all by this, because this is still a kick ass card. You can argue it will perform worse in higher resolutions etc. etc. although to be quite honest I would opt for a GTX 980 or 290x 8GB before I were to even consider 1440p and above.

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
I can probably fudge that together somehow this weekend. Not used DSR before, so I'm unsure how accurately I can force 3.4GB usage and 3.8GB usage. Starpoint Gemini II uses 3.4GB at maximum settings on 1440p, so that will be a useful example.

Thanks RCoon. I hope you find the time this weekend. I'm looking forward to what you find.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
ok but is the 980 with the same settings & maybe reduced clockspeed showing the same signs when nearing 4gb?

i also recently got a 660... it's 2gb 192bit, so it has a similar uneven memory arrangement that i guess i should investigate

Correct, only the 3GB version is symetrical. However, when it was released, 2GB was alot of VRAM requirement. Who noticed, really? Now a single 660, even a 3Gig version, is not going to play the newest games at more than medium settings, the GPU chip itself can't do it, and a couple years old or older games, on medium-high, it's likely still to not be an issue.

Besides, IIRC, those that did discover this didn't show it as a problem, just that performance was better on the 3GB versions because it performed faster.

Last edited:
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
So it sounds like this has been an industry practice of NVIDIA's for a bit?

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
I don't think that nvidia have responded adequately and I didn't even buy one so I say crack on more threads please.

And im not assed if nv owners get twitchy because there beloved company is getting called out.

NVIDIA EARNED EVERY LETTER OF ABUSE THEY GET ON THIS

False advertising is Exactly what this was. ........... .. ...
+1 buddy.

I'm an nvidia owner and I'm pissed that they resort to tactics like this, especially as we now know that it does cause performance problems. You won't find me apologizing for them.

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
So it sounds like this has been an industry practice of NVIDIA's for a bit?

Yup, ever since Fermi.

But there are some key differences to the way Fermi handled it, Kepler handled it, and Maxwell does today.

Back in the day the Fermi card (550ti) launched with a larger amount of VRAM than was generally the norm (1.5GB where 1GB was the norm for that price bracket). This also meant that games would hardly, if ever utilize the additional VRAM on that card. Basically the problem was there, but it was hidden due to 'more hardware'.

Then Kepler's 192bit bus came around. Kepler was a different beast, but STILL handled VRAM better than Maxwell's 970 does today. On Kepler's 660 and 660ti the 192 bus was divided asymmetrical which meant a 44 Gbps bandwidth dip with the last 0.5GB. This also explains how 660ti was a crippled card on 1080p when you used high levels of AA - similarly priced Radeons would beat the 660ti any day of the week on higher AA settings. The problem was again present, but hidden, because the same happened with the 680 and 256bit versus the 7970 with 384bit - but the origin of the problem is different. Where 680 was just choking because of overall bandwidth because it had a better GK104 behind it, 660ti was choking because of that lacking bandwidth on the last 0.5gb.

Now, compare Kepler and Maxwell and their bandwidth drop on the last 0.5GB. Very much apples & apples. The (much weaker) Kepler card has a 44Gbps bandwidth on the last 0.5Gb. The (over 40% faster) GPU in GM204 has that last 0.5Gb on a measly 28Gbps. Compare this to your DDR3 RAM which generally runs at 16Gbps - that is awfully close. This explains why people run into issues today, while they did not run into issues as much with Kepler or Fermi. The GAP between bandwidth variance is larger than ever before, while at the same time the memory requirements have vastly increased over time *and* the GPU itself is much more powerful.

ENBSeries' comparison of actually having only 3.5GB VRAM effective is bang on the money. Whatever part of the memory Windows resides in does not even come into play: the last 0.5GB effectively handles precisely like system RAM.

Now tell us again this is business as usual... It most certainly is not. To everyone marginalizing this issue, please go home, you haven't been paying attention. Maxwell is the iteration of GPU from Nvidia where cost cutting and memory subsystem tricks have gone too far and result in bad gaming - something which just so happens to be Nvidia's core business for this market. It is absolutely vital that we as (potential) customers draw the line here. If not for your currently owned 970, then at least do it for future generations of GPU.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.