• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Making the case for a console over a PC with Far Cry 4

Can you see why some gamers just get a console over a PC to avoid the hassle?

• Total voters
System Name Desktop | Laptop
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Intel Core i7 7700HQ
Motherboard MAG X570S Torpedo Max| Neptune KLS HM175
Cooling Corsair H100x | Twin fan, fin stack & heat pipes
Memory 32GB G.Skill F4-3600C16-8GVK @ 3600MHz / 16-16-16-36-1T | 16GB DDR4 @ 2400MHz / 17-17-17-39-2T
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | GTX 1050 Ti 4GB
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB + Kingston KC3000 2TB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 970 Evo 500GB
Display(s) 32" Dell G3223Q (2160p @ 144Hz) | 17" IPS 1920x1080P
Case Fractal Meshify 2 Compact | Aspire V Nitro BE
Audio Device(s) ifi Audio ZEN DAC V2 + Focal Radiance / HyperX Solocast
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 1000W | 150W
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate | Logitech MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Razer Huntsman V2 Optical (Linear Red)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64

My first 'console'. I've been in and out with consoles for a while. PS2/Xbox era I was pretty much exclusive to console. Then back to computer before Xbox 360 (which was a very solid experience, can't think of any annoying scenarios like bugs, glitches, crashes). Since then have moved back to PC. I may get an Xbox One out of curiosity, but PC is where it's at! From what I've heard, both the new consoles have their fair share of issues, that I don't think it'd be any less frustrating than PC.

Outback Bronze

Staff member
System Name Raptor Baked
Processor 14900k w.c.
Motherboard Z790 Hero
Cooling w.c.
Memory 32GB Hynix
Video Card(s) Zotac 4080 w.c.
Storage 2TB Kingston kc3k
Display(s) Gigabyte 34" Curved
Case Corsair 460X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply PCIe5 850w
Mouse Asus
Keyboard Corsair
Software Win 11
Benchmark Scores Cool n Quiet.
I voted YES

Simply because its just too easy to plug into the TV and then buy games and not have to install them. I'm guessing the cost of buying a console has got to be cheaper as well.

I have not owned a console for years (since PS2 I think) so I could be wrong about having to install them.

I remember using my mates Pentium 3 with a GeForce 2 I iirc playing AVP2 over the lan and internet and boy did that make piss over any console game I had played at that particular time (1998). I really started to enjoy playing with a mouse and keyboard which was alien to me at the time also.

I adapted the AVP2 game and then I also adapted a PC and have never looked back!

The PC is really for the Enthusiast.

Do you think any console is going to beat my system specs in general hardware?

Geforce Experience (auto-configing games) is obviously designed to help the OP (and others, LOL) with their setup :)
Add controller setup issues
... and yes, gaming is hard, but kids learn so quick, I would not worry.

Processor Pentium G3220
Motherboard Gigabyte H97 Gaming 3
Cooling Stock
Memory 4GB
Video Card(s) Radeon 7750 1GB
Storage WD 160GB, Crucial mx100 256GB
Display(s) Asus VX229H
Case Cheapo
Power Supply Antec VP450
I prefer PC for gaming. Although it's nice to fire up a console for some split screen fun with your friends.

System Name Classy Gal
Processor i7 2600K
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3-B3
Cooling CM Hyper 212 plus
Memory 16GB Kingston Hyper X
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX1070 FE
Storage 2x120GB Vertex 3 - 1x1TB WD
Display(s) LG 23" 1920x1080
Case Coolermaster Cosmos S
Audio Device(s) Creative SB Titanium HD
Power Supply Seasonic M12II 750W
Software Win10 / Linux Mint
I voted yes, just because IMO consoles are till more user friendly than PCs, although the gap has closed a lot in the recent years.

I would have voted NO if i considered only my personal experience, because:

-buying games for my PS3 (both physical and digital) has been more difficult here where i live, wheres i can access the whole catalog of Steam, Origin, GoG, Desura, etc, and the payment options are far more convenient IMO.

-Installing games on PC using Steam, Origin, etc is easier and faster IMO. For some reason PSN downloads speed are not as fast here, and installing games and patches is one thing that IMO PSN is still lacking.

-I have encountered problems in my PS3 and PC, difference is that most of the time the problems on console are not something you can fix, you have to wait for an update or you are screw. Can give examples if anyone wants.

-My PS3 fat died.

System Name HTPC whhaaaat?
Processor 2600k @ 4500mhz
Motherboard Asus Maximus IV gene-z gen3
Cooling Noctua NH-C14
Memory Gskill Ripjaw 2x4gb
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 FTW @ 2037/11016
Storage 2x512GB MX100/1x Agility 3 128gb ssds, Seagate 3TB HDD
Display(s) Vizio P 65'' 4k tv
Case Lian Li pc-c50b
Audio Device(s) Denon 3311
Power Supply Corsair 620HX
Left handed controllers would change my no to a yes...:).

If you'd watched me trying to use an xbox controller, you'd still be laughing. The Playstation controller imo is worse....actually hoping this Steam controller is a win.

As far as comparing graphics on consoles vs. pc....I could care less. If I can make out whats going on in the game...I'm good. Probably because I grew up in the pacman generation...graphics just aren't that important to me.

Best,

LC

Really? As a fellow south paw (as I have a sneaking suspicion many-a techie are) my woes were very much cured by using a ps controller for pc ports. The ps3 was alright, the ps4 is better. I am with you though on the xbox controller...it's a fucking sight to see me attempt to finagle any incarnation of those monstrosities....My brain/hands do not compute that asymmetrical-stick/digital placement.

With you on the larger sentiment to an extent though. If I'm playing a new AAA game, I'd prefer it look as pretty as I can afford, so hence pc. OTOH, what are the games I'm most looking forward to in the next couple months?

Mighty Number 9 (essentially old-school Megaman), Dark Souls 2: E3 Lighting Edition, and MK:X. Arguably all perfectly fine on ps4, if not less. It very much is probably a generational thing when it comes to taste, mine mostly stemming nes-n64/ps2, even while having always owned a pc, as most of my beloved genres are rooted in consoles (and I became over FPS's a long time ago). I like pretty graphics, but the games I enjoy often don't need them. When the rare combo of action/platformer (like Mordor, Tomb Raider, DmC iterations) come along that can use the extra oomph of a pc for a tangible difference though (for 120fps in dmc for instance), I think being a PC guy is worth it.

Also, as much as plug/play is nice...I really think someone mentioned the crux of the matter earlier, even if in jest. Some people just like to tinker with settings (and vicariously almost enjoy finding/solving weird widespread or personal bugs/glitches/issues)...it's a weird mental condition some people just have. If the game is smooth, we haven't messed around with it enough. I am one of those people.

PC gaming on the whole is a state of mind imho; a certain type of personality connects with it. It's not unlike the unspoken-of but very possible reality concerning many of those that enjoy repetitive things like WoW/Destiny; there's probably often some autistic-like mentality there (which is totally fine!). Perhaps pc gamers are masochists (I kid)...I don't know...but I still think it's largely a personality thing more-so than just a performance thing.

System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> RX7800XT
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
I voted YES

Simply because its just too easy to plug into the TV and then buy games and not have to install them. I'm guessing the cost of buying a console has got to be cheaper as well.

I have not owned a console for years (since PS2 I think) so I could be wrong about having to install them.

I remember using my mates Pentium 3 with a GeForce 2 I iirc playing AVP2 over the lan and internet and boy did that make piss over any console game I had played at that particular time (1998). I really started to enjoy playing with a mouse and keyboard which was alien to me at the time also.

I adapted the AVP2 game and then I also adapted a PC and have never looked back!

The PC is really for the Enthusiast.

Do you think any console is going to beat my system specs in general hardware?

You are indeed wrong about not having to install them.
If this was still 1985 I could totally see consoles being viable options, tons of exclusives, easy of use and just a totally different world to play games in.
These days they want to cram so much into consoles they borderline become (rather crappy) pc's.
Take the ps3 for example, I describe that user experience as a god aweful amount of waiting.
Seeing as patches are now also the norm on the consoles, a worry free gaming experience is also quite out the window with them.
I have ti disagree that PC gaming is really (only) for the enthusiast.
I think most people start gaming on the pc, everyone has a PC and all PC's will be able to play some games.
If you are going into the high end on high setting stuff then sure it KINDA becomes enthousiast but even the people not wanting to do and/or learn anything can buy Alienware etc.

Consoles are relatively ease of use but its more a general misconception that PC gaming is something only enthousiasts "nerds" could figure out.
But because of that misconception there will always be people who go for a console.

Added to that (for the current gen specifically) a friend of mine has a capable PC and an Xbox One, the ONLY game he bought one the Xbox One so far is Forza 5.
Because everything else that is remotely interesting has a PC version which will be the superior version.

System Name Graphics Card Free...
Processor Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX Wifi
Cooling Cryorig M9a w/ BeQuiet! PureWings 2 ~ 92mm
Memory Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 3200 ~ 16GB(2x8GB)
Storage Samsung EVO 870 SSD - 1TB
Display(s) AOC 24G2
Case Cardboard...
Power Supply eVGA SuperNova 550w G3
Mouse Logitech t400 Zone Touch Mouse
Keyboard IBM Model "M" Keyboard
Software Manjaro ~ KDE Plasma
Benchmark Scores She's a Runner!

Wouldn't have said it if I didn't mean it...:).

I will admit that I haven't tried the ps controller since ps2....perhaps I should take another look. Although...at last glance it didn't look like it had changed much.

In complete agreement with your commentary regarding the xbox controller.

Best,

LC

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
In a perfect world I would only play games on PC. However most of the games I really enjoy playing either are console exclusive (anything developed by Naughty Dog) or are out for console long before PC (like all of the GTA 4 and 5.)

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
I'm a hardcore PC gamer, but sometimes I can really understand why gamers get a console over a PC, despite the much weaker hardware, since the bloody thing most often just works. I'm going through just such an understanding, epiphanetic moment right now, since I've been unable to play Far Cry 4 for weeks due to a combination of faults.

I got Far Cry 4 over a month ago on Steam (the fancy Gold one with all the trimmings in a nice sale) but I've not even got out of the starting gate with it and it's really pissing me off.

First off at update 1.7.0 (when I first downloaded it) it wasn't saving checkpoints, so I sit through the lengthy 9 minute intro sequence, which is very nice once or twice, but not again and again as I try to sort out the problem. Turns out, unsurprisingly, that it's a bug in the game, since I've seen loads of forum posts about it and update 1.8.0 addresses this very problem in the changelog. Great! Except that now, while the game progress is finally saved, it jumps forward by some unknown amount when I come back to it.

Essentially, I'm right at the start, exploring the villa, picking things up like you do and then save the game. I come back to it and the game now goes through a cut scene where I have to go into some little hut which is a shrine to some murdered woman (forget the name). WTF?! Steam shows 3 hours playtime, but believe me, I've not actually "played" it at all - it's all troubleshooting and annoyance. :cry:

To cap it all, FC4 has just started crashing at startup - complete lockup requiring a kill with Task Manager. Only I can't quite blame FC4 for this one, since the PC has simultaneously developed stability problems! Note that nothing is overclocked.

Sometimes the desktop becomes semi responsive, forcing the inevitable, reluctant press of the reset switch. Other times control panel windows get stuck and won't close etc. It's all handily tear-hairingly intermittent where the PC can run for hours without problems and then screw up, which is the kind of PC troubleshooting joy I can do without. While it could just be a corrupted Windows install, I have a sneaking suspicion that it's the hardware. Despite the instability, the PC still plays the handful of other games I tried by the way, so FC4 still isn't in the clear over this startup glitch.

I then discover that there are 41 updates from Microsoft waiting to install, presumably from this Patch Tuesday, so I install them. In the few hours since I installed them the PC seems to work ok, but the game still locks up at the start. Fabulous. Just fucking fabulous. :banghead:

It's the small hours of the night, so of course I'm not gonna start doing any troubleshooting now and will have to find some time over the weekend to my enjoy busman's holiday.

While experiencing this level of problems is rare for me when playing games, there are often teething issues one can live without, so putting all this together can you see why some gamers just say "fuck it!" and get a console?

Specs are as in my System Specs, but here's a snapshot for when they inevitably change:

Ignore the CPU overclock - I removed it ages ago​

The gui is pretty much firmware. Consoles are not modular meaning no upgrades over its time. Fps games are horrid on console. Only games i could deal with on a Pad were racers using the thumb sticks. The last D pad on a controller i thought was great was the Genesis/Megadrive or the Dreamcast. Also games are being deved for the console first snd not the otherway around.

I do get it because some people don't really know about pcs and its easy to just shove a disc in a system and play away with your friends. Most people are oblivious and don't notice the stuff we do like 30fps or crappy online connections.

Far Cry 4 i would not say is a case of console vs pc, its a case of a shitty port vs a good port and in this case the pc port was not that great.

Also console gamers have to update and install now so thats not really a factor anymore in ease of use.

Id buy a playstation if it had games i wanted to play but at the moment it doesn't, i can get everything i want on steam or a physical release. I enjoy games so whatever platform they are on doesn't bother me as long as i get the best experience for the money i can afford.

If i was into gaming i would recommend a pc first because it just offers more imo but if i was just into something for entertainment and to pass the time i would just get a console like a PS4. I compare it to someone who is into film, i would recommend cinema viewing for the experience over the home viewing experience.

As for xbone vs potatostation, not much of a difference that affects gameplay so just get whatever you seem to like the games for imo.

Last edited:
What hassle? The only hassle I've ever had was with very old games getting them to work on brand new systems. I'm talking 15+ years old titles designed for Windows 9x or even MS-DOS. The rest, I don't even remember any issues or hassle. I just use the latest drivers and that's it.

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
I don't have any hassle with old games on Win 7. I buy old games from GOG. They make the game run on my OS without problems. I haven't tried Win 8 but I imagine old games from them run fine on that OS too.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
I don't have any hassle with old games on Win 7. I buy old games from GOG. They make the game run on my OS without problems. I haven't tried Win 8 but I imagine old games from them run fine on that OS too.

he is talking about not having to repurchase the software. I had 1 title that would not run on XP and that was Sonic CD republished by Expert Software. Some fan developed a patch for XP

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
Yes, they do! And those few titles they don't enhance, there are usually some good solutions right in their user forums on each game.

Reactions: 64K
System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
I got a ps4 just before xmass despite owning a decent gaming pc and id just game on both using ps4 more for multiplayer (I oddly never got into online pc gaming) , I popped by here because fc4 is the one game I was going to get on pc but I dunno now I might just get it on ps4, naahhj they'll patch it right,,, hopefully before the steam spring or summer sale;).

My pc spat its C: drive out when it saw the ps4 turn up, soo I set it folding with a new C: drv and its happy again now.

GLD

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700X, AMD Wraith Prism.
Motherboard ASUS TUF X570-Plus (Wi-Fi).
Cooling Antec 120mm RGB case fans.
Memory 4x8gb, G.SKILL F4-3600C16D-16GVKC.
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 6700.
Storage PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB 4.0x4 NVMe ssd with Vantec ICEBERQ heat sink.
Display(s) ASUS VP278QG 27", 1080p, 75hz, FreeSync.
Case Antec GX202.
Audio Device(s) Onboard sound, Logitech Z625 THX 2.1's, Logitech G430 headphones.
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750.
Mouse Logitech G203 Prodigy.
Keyboard Logitech G213.
Software Windows 11 Pro, @ Day 1.
I can see buying a console ONLY for the exclusive console titles. Mario, Gran Turismo, Metal Gear, Halo and the like, and on the side run Netflix.

For the cost of a current gen. console it makes more sense to me to build a AMD FM2+ rig and join the PC Master Race. :peace:

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
I can see buying a console ONLY for the exclusive console titles. Mario, Gran Turismo, Metal Gear, Halo and the like, and on the side run Netflix.

For the cost of a current gen. console it makes more sense to me to build a AMD FM2+ rig and join the PC Master Race. :peace:

Welcome

You now have access to our King

:p:roll::p

System Name Aluminum Mallard
Processor Ryzen 1900x
Motherboard AsRock Phantom 6
Cooling AIO
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) EVGA 3080Ti FTW
Storage SSD
Display(s) Benq Zowie
Case Cosmos 1000
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Corsair CX750
VR HMD HTV Vive, Valve Index
Software Arch Linux
Benchmark Scores 31 FPS in Dalaran
Consoles are PC's. Battlefield 4 proves that the console version of the game can be just as broken and unworking as the PC version.

Source: Owns BF4 for PC and XB1

System Name Space Station
Processor Intel 13700K
Motherboard ASRock Z790 PG Riptide
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory Corsair Vengeance 6400 2x16GB @ CL34
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4080
Storage SSDs - Nextorage 4TB, Samsung EVO 970 500GB, Plextor M5Pro 128GB, HDDs - WD Black 6TB, 2x 1TB
Display(s) LG C3 OLED 42"
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V371
Power Supply SeaSonic Vertex 1200w Gold
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Software Windows 11 Pro 23H2
I got AC IV Gold on Steam on a giveaway here via our beloved Kreij, probably the kindest soul we've ever seen here. It worked pretty well, and when there was a delay getting the Freedom Cry DLC due to a screw up by Ubi, we actually got ours a week before those whom got the game on Uplay.

Far Cry 4 seems to be a reversal of that. Most are reporting that the Uplay version of this game not only works better, but also had no delay in getting the Escape from Durgesh DLC. On Steam it would DL and show up in the library, but not in the game menu like it was supposed to.

Is Ubi trying to now sabotage Steam versions so more people will buy their Uplay only version? Who knows, but after the PC graphics sabotaging of Watch Dogs and The Division, that was leaked by an anonymous Ubi Massive employee, I wouldn't put it past them.

Regardless, I hate digital downloads and try to avoid them whenever possible. Always verify the game file cache when you have such problems, and I also recommend playing in offline mode with the overlay disabled after updating the game and Steam or Uplay.

I have the Steam Gold version of this game, and although I hate the design of it's save system, I have never had the problem you described. Through extensive chatting about saves on the official forum though, it would appear many aren't aware of how the save system works.

Some assume it isn't working as it's supposed to if they die after a checkpoint and lose some progress. That's actually supposed to happen, as checkpoint saves are only session saves and get erased from death or quitting your session.

Truth be told, this can even happen after seeing the so called autosaves that flash onscreen with the gold crossed swords icon. Some say you need to visit a liberated outpost's safehouse to make sure your progress is saved, but I have found that is no guarantee either.

The only way I have found game saves to be reliable is to accept a story mission, then quit game before embarking on it. That however will still revert you to a previous save if you abort the mission after starting the game back up, so you can't just use them as place holders.

As for PC vs console, I guess I'm biased against the latter due to hating gamepads, but I honestly wouldn't make that decision based on Ubi games. As some have said, the reverse can be true.

I've seen plenty of people on console admit they talk up certain exclusives to justify having bought the system. They start feeling like if they don't they're just using it for AAA multi plat titles, and getting inferior graphics in the process.

While one might make the argument that games like Far Cry 4 and Dying Light, which have performance problems on their PC ports, would be good candidates to get on PS4, I feel it's a knee jerk reaction.

Buying a console system may seem great near it's launch, with some games, depending on port quality, looking near equal to PC, but as it's life cycle gets to the 3-4 year mark, it starts really showing it's technology stagnation, literally being left in the dust by PC.

And let's not forget the flexibility of uses and ability to mod and edit files on PC.

Last edited by a moderator:
he is talking about not having to repurchase the software. I had 1 title that would not run on XP and that was Sonic CD republished by Expert Software. Some fan developed a patch for XP

Well, you can't play Xbox 1 games on Xbox 360 or PS2 games on PS4 either, so there's that... On PC you can still brew your own compatibility patch, on consoles it's buy a game remake or you simply can't play it at all.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Well, you can't play Xbox 1 games on Xbox 360 or PS2 games on PS4 either, so there's that... On PC you can still brew your own compatibility patch, on consoles it's buy a game remake or you simply can't play it at all.

You mean 360 games on xb1. And yes youre right about the consoles not allowing prev titles to run unless you buy them.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Thanks for all your great replies, people. :toast: I like those classic console pictures especially.

Check out my updated my OP reflecting the current situation, which is rather improved.

You mean 360 games on xb1. And yes youre right about the consoles not allowing prev titles to run unless you buy them.

I meant original Xbox with that, I always write ONE with letters when I mean the latest one :p

Btw, I also own PS2. Haven't played it for a while, but Burnout series were awesome and the reason why I bought it in the first place.

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
System Name Ryzen Reflection
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master
Cooling 2x EK PE360 | TechN AM4 AMD Block Black | EK Quantum Vector Trinity GPU Nickel + Plexi
Memory Teamgroup T-Force Xtreem 2x16GB B-Die 3600 @ 14-14-14-28-42-288-2T 1.45v
Video Card(s) Zotac AMP HoloBlack RTX 3080Ti 12G | 950mV 1950Mhz
Storage WD SN850 500GB (OS) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (Games_1) | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB (Games_2)
Display(s) Asus XG27AQM 240Hz G-Sync Fast-IPS | Gigabyte M27Q-P 165Hz 1440P IPS | Asus 24" IPS (portrait mode)
Case Lian Li PC-011D XL | Custom cables by Cablemodz
Audio Device(s) FiiO K7 | Sennheiser HD650 + Beyerdynamic FOX Mic
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 850
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit
So this is essentially a console vs. PC thread, with a game plagued with bugs on both sides, not only that, but a game from Ubisoft, and we should all know what they are capable of these days (not much).