• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Large NAS server with backup - Advise or input welcome

System Name Project Evolv mATX V2
Processor 5800X3D
Motherboard ASRock B550M Steel Legend
Cooling AK400 Zero Dark Plus
Memory 32gb (4x8) G.SKILL 3200 C14 / 1T running at 3400
Video Card(s) Sapphire 6800XT Nitro
Storage Samsung 980 pro NVMe 2TB
Display(s) Dual Samsung 27" G50A's
Case Phanteks Enthoo Evolv mATX in Silver
Audio Device(s) To many to list - generally a modified E-MU 0404 combined with a Project Ember for my desktop use
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 750W
Software Win 11
So here is where I am at. For my HT running kodi and also general data, I am looking into building a high capacity NAS setup. Admittedly, this is rather new territory for me. I am used to just having several backup drives and a 2TB drive on my routers built in NAS.

Overall for the amount of data, I would need 12TB with 12TB of backup for redundancy at minimum. Possibly 16-18TB optimal.

I currently see 4TB drives being the best bang for the buck with WD greens at $140. I have no issue doing 6tb drives, however I do not see any NAS setups that offer 6TB support. Or should I just skip a dedicated NAS and build my own?

My raid experience comes down to just raid 1 and 0. Seems what I am after would be a bit more complex than the basic two drive setups I have done in the past (researching other raid options currently)

Any info from others that have built a similar setup would be appreciated.

Kursah

Super Moderator
Staff member
System Name Kursah's Gaming Rig 2018 (2022 Upgrade) - Ryzen+ Edition | Gaming Laptop (Lenovo Legion 5i Pro 2022)
Processor R7 5800X @ Stock | i7 12700H @ Stock
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming BIOS 6203| Legion 5i Pro NM-E231
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S Push-Pull + NT-H1 | Stock Cooling
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 32GB (2x16) DDR4 4000 @ 3600 18-20-20-42 1.35v | 32GB DDR5 4800 (2x16)
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 4070 JetStream 12GB | CPU-based Intel Iris XE + RTX 3070 8GB 150W
Storage 4TB SP UD90 NVME, 960GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD | 1TB Samsung OEM NVME SSD + 4TB Crucial P3 Plus NVME SSD
Display(s) Acer 28" 4K VG280K x2 | 16" 2560x1600 built-in
Case Corsair 600C - Stock Fans on Low | Stock Metal/Plastic
Audio Device(s) Aune T1 mk1 > AKG K553 Pro + JVC HA-RX 700 (Equalizer APO + PeaceUI) | Bluetooth Earbuds (BX29)
Power Supply EVGA 750G2 Modular + APC Back-UPS Pro 1500 | 300W OEM (heavy use) or Lenovo Legion C135W GAN (light)
Mouse Logitech G502 | Logitech M330
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Core RGB | Built in Keyboard (Lenovo laptop KB FTW)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 | Windows 11 Home x64
Look into Raid5 or 6, for redundancy. Raid 5 requires 3+ drives and you get around 70% of your combined space, the rest is used for redundancy. What this means is if 1 drive fails, you replace it, and the array can rebuild.

Raid6 expands on this, but drops closer to 60% iirc (these percentages are rough figures), but allows for 2 drive failures on a 4+ drive array iirc and the array is still rebuildable.

If you want redundancy, you could do a nested raid, say a Raid 10 (1+0), or similar as well: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nested_RAID_levels#RAID_10

Depends on your needs.

Needing that much space, I would consider mirroring your main array. But then my experience with that much data is limited to doing just that though, so my suggestion is slightly biased.

Hope that helps a little! Spend some time researching and you'll get some other good info here I'm sure, and then be able to make the best decision for you and your network.

:toast:

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
My only comment would be to reconsider your HDD choice for storage. I, like a ton of other users, have had high failure rates on the WD Greens in my server. Once I went to WD Reds (and a couple Blacks), I have had a no failure rate.

System Name Games/internet/usage
Processor I7 5820k 4.2 Ghz
Motherboard ASUS X99-A2
Cooling custom water loop for cpu and gpu
Memory 16GiB Crucial Ballistix Sport 2666 MHz
Video Card(s) Radeon Rx 6800 XT
Storage Samsung XP941 500 GB + 1 TB SSD
Display(s) Dell 3008WFP
Case Caselabs Magnum M8
Audio Device(s) Shiit Modi 2 Uber -> Matrix m-stage -> HD650
Power Supply beQuiet dark power pro 1200W
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
Software Win 10 Pro
I am using a home built server with 4 x 4 TB drives in RAID 6, I did that because after comparing the prices I fund that a 8 bay NAS server would cost much more than what a basic computer with a ok raid card would cost.

Use Free nas or some linux OS of your choice, I am using windows server 2008 because I had some free copies from my university days.

I am using a AMD APU but a intel i3 will also be more than good enough.

For RAID card I use a High Point rocket RAID 2720 SGL, not the fastest card around but the limiting factor will anyway be the network you are streaming over.

Remember that you shuld place the OS for such a system on a separate SSD and not the RAID data drive.

The server is housed in a Fractal Design Define R4, it has room for 8 3.5” drives AND 2 2.5” drives, standard motherboards and PSU. I also have it connected to a UPS so that sudden power loss or voltage spikes are less prone to damage the drives.

For multiple hdds its best to use RAID 5 or RAID 6, 5 only need one extra drive for backup, but you are only protected from a single drive failure. RAID 6 uses two drives for backup so if one drive fails your data are still quite safe while you are rebuilding the array (it can take a week to rebuild an array).

If you need 12 TB space you then need MINIUM 4 drives for RAID 5 (3 drives for data, 1 for backup in the RAID structure) but the best would be 5 drives in RAID 6 (3 drives for data, 2 in backup).

On the RAID card I have it was easy to expand the array (or change it from RAID 5 to RAID 6) online (meaning I could access the array and the files on it while it was migrating/expanding.

Hope that helps a little

Processor 5800X3D
Audio Device(s) To many to list - generally a modified E-MU 0404 combined with a Project Ember for my desktop use
Software Win 11
Outstanding info guys! On my reading I was already leaning to raid 6 as well for my needs and data safety. I am leaning to just go 16TB for future expansion. So in R6, it seems I will need 6qty of 4TB drives as usable capacity is 2 less than the number of drives available. I found this page very helpful in quick learning. http://www.adaptec.com/en-us/_common/compatibility/_education/raid_level_compar_wp.htm I am surprised it takes so long to rebuild an array! Is this generally done automatically via software when a new / good drive is installed?

I have several AM1 5350 based systems that have been excellent for general use. The advice clearly points me to just build my own and I will base it off of the AM1 platform for low cost and high reliability / low power consumption. And agreed on the APS - already planned.

Good to know on the greens. I was looking more for a drive that does spin down though as the whole setup would not be used often. Just for streaming when home and data backup. If the reds are the ticket though as they are designed for NAS, then that is the direction I will go.

Motherboard ASUS X99-A2
Display(s) Dell 3008WFP
Case Caselabs Magnum M8
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
Software Win 10 Pro
The raid card I have allows for a spare pool of drives that will be used to rebuild an array should a drive in the array fail automatically. If it rebuilds the array at ones if it detects the array have been damaged an a new drive is inserted I do not know

The Reds are greens with some FW trics (they awnser the controlles faster with “I am alive” messages) so that RAID controllers know the drives are good, I think it’s the same with the other “NAS” drives on the market, they are budget drives with some FW tweaks. I am sure @SuperSoph_WD (resident WD rep) can answer it more in depth.

I am personally using Segate NAS drives, mostly because they are 5900 rpm, so less noise then a 7200 disk. You can actually get them with some “Rescue” package now, where seagate will recover the data from a crashed drive for you if the disk dies in the first 3 years.

A AM1 5350 would be good I think, get a good MB with some solid caps then.

Yes for R6 and 16 TB you need 6 drives at 4 TB each.

For spinning the hdds down you just set the OS to pause the drives when not in use.

Last edited:
System Name CTG Computer
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 7600
Motherboard Asrock B650M PRO RS WIFI
Cooling Thermalright PA120 SE
Memory 2x 16gb G.SKILL F5-6000J3038F16GX2-FX5
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RX6800XT Gaming OC
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB
Display(s) MAG274QRF-QD | Asus vg248qe
Case SAMA IM01
Audio Device(s) Creative SoundBlasterx G6
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Logitech G pro Wireless
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB MK2
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
1- No green, please use WD Red for TLER!
2- Remember that using Onboard RAID = using CPU usage, a little
3- No raid battery card with cache = Do not enable write-back caching, as if you crash while writing, you could get corrupted DATA.
4- if using Intel raid or Raid card with no battery, you can enable write-back cache when you need for big writing, instead, I think you can get between 40 and 70mb/s of writing, which is somehow enought (gbps will do max 125 over 1 single cable)
5- Raid 6 is not supported on Intel chipset, look for LSI megaraid card or other good card for RAID 6 support
6- Freenas likes to have alot of RAM using ZFS, so a minimum a 8gb of RAM for good performance (they say about 1gb of ram per 1TB, but anyway 8gb will be fine)
7- You could use a Windows 7 for file server, if you don't have 17 device accessing it. (Limited device/user share)
8- Raid 6 Is a very good option for redundancy with alot of drive.
9- If you need CPU performance over the name, don't take single core CPU. Look for Intel Penium dual-core that are cheap which would be enought fast!

As for backup, you will need to make a "bit torrent sync" or a manual/automatic script backup to make it easy as a backup, never worked on FreeNas, I don't know if there is a Eternal Site backup job of similar feature.

System Name Commercial towing vehicle "Nostromo"
Processor 5800X3D
Motherboard X570 Unify
Cooling EK-AIO 360
Memory 32 GB Fury 3666 MHz
Video Card(s) 4070 Ti Eagle
Storage SN850 NVMe 1TB + Renegade NVMe 2TB + 870 EVO 4TB
Display(s) 25" Legion Y25g-30
Case Lian Li LanCool 216 v2
Audio Device(s) B & W PX7 S2e
Power Supply HX1500i
Mouse Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition
Keyboard Scope II 96 Wireless
Software Windows 11 23H2
+1 for FreeNas and WD Reds...we are using it for backups from our VMware farm....
10 x 4TB disks (in RAID-Z) and with ZFS filesystem in a rack with an core i5-4460 and 12 GB RAM.
The build in compression in ZFS is amesing .......

Write speeds over LAN is 90~110 MB/s (using HP ProCurve 2920 switches)

Motherboard ASUS X99-A2
Display(s) Dell 3008WFP
Case Caselabs Magnum M8
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
Software Win 10 Pro
1- No green, please use WD Red for TLER!
Same for all other brands in my mind

3- No raid battery card with cache = Do not enable write-back caching, as if you crash while writing, you could get corrupted DATA.
A UPS shuld fix that (the computers writing or the lan streem will be broken before the UPS is empty, allowing the raid card to arrange the data on the drive and the whole computer to shut down correctly to avoid data loss

4- if using Intel raid or Raid card with no battery, you can enable write-back cache when you need for big writing, instead, I think you can get between 40 and 70mb/s of writing, which is somehow enought (gbps will do max 125 over 1 single cable)
Getting 115 MiB/s here using write back on a asus RT-AC66U

7- You could use a Windows 7 for file server, if you don't have 17 device accessing it. (Limited device/user share)
True, win server is nice an all, but no consumer/free antivrus or FW will not run on it, and the server stuff is a bit steep (cheapest is 150 usd a year) so using win 7 is a good option. If you are running win pro you can use remote desktop to manage the server

Processor 5800X3D
Software Win 11
Great advice and info. In my mind, this setup will be directly linked to my HT for video playback. making it a monster HTPC / NAS for all users.

Will start researching raid cards here shorty.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
@Brusfantomet Actually, AVG File Server Edition is quite affordable and runs on server 2008.

System Name CTG Computer
Case SAMA IM01
Same for all other brands in my mind

A UPS shuld fix that (the computers writing or the lan streem will be broken before the UPS is empty, allowing the raid card to arrange the data on the drive and the whole computer to shut down correctly to avoid data loss

Getting 115 MiB/s here using write back on a asus RT-AC66U

True, win server is nice an all, but no consumer/free antivrus or FW will not run on it, and the server stuff is a bit steep (cheapest is 150 usd a year) so using win 7 is a good option. If you are running win pro you can use remote desktop to manage the server

Write-back cache is where you cache Data. 115 is good, but without you might get less, but might be enought for most people (writting at 60mb/s for me is enought over lan)

the UPS will protect only if there is an electric blackout. When the computer crash, the raid battery will remember what's in the buffer, so it can write to the disk.. Never will be able to do this on an onboard Intel..

Here'S an explanation:

It allows the raid card to remember what is in its buffers ( that hasnt been sync'd to disk )

Its very important for people who need high data integrity.. Or to save your DB from certain types of corruption..

(Basically whats on disk, is on disk - so thats safe.. The problem is when the OS thinks its on disk but its actually not and in a RAID card buffer)

When the server starts up again, obviously those buffers get flushed to the disks.. So you have a point in time correlation with your disks and OS..
( otherwise you will just loose information - like a few database records, which you will never know. )

A UPS help sure.. but its not safe enough.. ever decent RAID card should have a BBU (Battery Backed Unit)"

It just ensure that you have data integrity. Anyway, it depends of what usage it is, but for a 16TB, I would surely prefer having a BBU ona raid card..

Motherboard ASUS X99-A2
Display(s) Dell 3008WFP
Case Caselabs Magnum M8
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
Software Win 10 Pro
@Brusfantomet Actually, AVG File Server Edition is quite affordable and runs on server 2008.

true, will probably try that, tank you.
Write-back cache is where you cache Data. 115 is good, but without you might get less, but might be enought for most people (writting at 60mb/s for me is enought over lan)

the UPS will protect only if there is an electric blackout. When the computer crash, the raid battery will remember what's in the buffer, so it can write to the disk.. Never will be able to do this on an onboard Intel..

True, but as the files on MY server is for conveinece only i do not see a OS crash as a big danger. for OP it might be different.

System Name CTG Computer
Case SAMA IM01
Yup, that's why I just mention the point :)

I do not have a raid card at home, anyway, I have my OS backup on External drive and DATA replicated 2 days a week at my parent's home server (on the external drive)

System Name Red Radiance l under construction
Processor 5800x
Motherboard x470 taichi
Cooling stock wrath
Memory TridentZ Neo rgb 3600mhz (2x8 kit)
Video Card(s) Sapphire Vega 64 nitro+
Storage 970 evo nvme
Display(s) lc27g75tq
Case tt core x5 tge
Audio Device(s) sennheiser's pc323d usb soundcard
Power Supply corsair AX860i
Mouse roccat burst pro
Keyboard roccat ryos mk fx
Software windows 10
Great advice and info. In my mind, this setup will be directly linked to my HT for video playback. making it a monster HTPC / NAS for all users.

Will start researching raid cards here shorty.
if you are going to use freenas better not waste time on raid cards.
ZFS was designed to provide redundancy while addressing some of the inherent limitations of hardware RAID such as the write-hole and corrupt data written over time before the hardware controller provides an alert. ZFS provides three levels of redundancy, known as RAIDZ*, where the number after the RAIDZ indicates how many disks per vdev can be lost without losing data. ZFS also supports mirrors, with no restrictions on the number of disks in the mirror. ZFS was designed for commodity disks so no RAID controller is needed. While ZFS can also be used with a RAID controller, it is recommended that the controller be put into JBOD mode so that ZFS has full control of the disks. When determining the type of ZFS redundancy to use, consider whether your goal is to maximize disk space or performance: ....
http://doc.freenas.org/9.3/freenas_intro.html#zfs-primer

System Name Daily Driver / Mobile Gamer
Processor R7-2700x / R7-3700x
Motherboard ASRock Taichi x470 / ASRock x370 Gaming ITX
Cooling EK monoblock - dual 360 rads / NH-U9S
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3466c14 / Crucial 32GB 3733c16
Video Card(s) TITAN / GTX 1070ti
Storage WD BLACK 500GB SSD / 1TB M.2, 1TB 850 EVO
Display(s) LG 27EA83R / TeamViewer
Case Dimastech Easy V3 / DA-2
Audio Device(s) HT E-Claro -> Yamaha Receiver - Polk CS1, 2x Polk OWM3 or DT-990 Pro
Power Supply SeaSonic X-850 / SSR-650SGX
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Drevo GRAMR tkl
Software Linux & Win10 Pro
If it was me, I would use a hardware raid card and a raid5 or raid6 configuration with an extra drive as a hotspare.

Motherboard ASUS X99-A2
Display(s) Dell 3008WFP
Case Caselabs Magnum M8
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
Software Win 10 Pro

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
I would personally use MDADM or ZFS (with ECC memory) on something like this:
http://www.asus.com/Commercial_Servers_Workstations/P9AIC2550SAS4L/

...or for a bit more money, they have a C2750 variant with an 8c Atom.
http://www.asus.com/Commercial_Servers_Workstations/P9AIC2750SAS4L/

4 SAS breakout cables and 2 SATA ports means a max of 18 SATA drives in a mini-itx board. Sounds kind of like what you want.

Edit: On top of that you can add more of something else with that PCI-E 8x slot (@4x electrical).

Last edited:
System Name Red Radiance l under construction
Processor 5800x
Motherboard x470 taichi
Cooling stock wrath
Memory TridentZ Neo rgb 3600mhz (2x8 kit)
Video Card(s) Sapphire Vega 64 nitro+
Storage 970 evo nvme
Display(s) lc27g75tq
Case tt core x5 tge
Audio Device(s) sennheiser's pc323d usb soundcard
Power Supply corsair AX860i
Mouse roccat burst pro
Keyboard roccat ryos mk fx
Software windows 10
But for the amount of disks needed (7 or more) you would need some extra S-ata controller cards on most normal motherboards
am3+ boards are tipicaly with 6-8 sata3 ports and if you still need more you can do it with simple port expansion card. no need of raid card with fancy features just to run it in jbod mode.

Processor 5800X3D
Software Win 11
Appreciate all the input guys. Lots to think about and more research to do!

Processor 5800X3D
Software Win 11
Here is what I ended up with and why:
- I am virtually out of space with my current setup (less than 50gb left) and need to get started on this now. I decided to go at this slow but with a plan / path. Decided not to go to crazy right now as I am about to buy a house and keeping funds tight...
- Ordered an 8tb my book duo that will be configured in raid 1 to be connected via USB 3.0 to my PC which will give 4TBish of space that I need right now. This unit contains two RED 4TB drives. This is a decent deal as I get the 4tb reds and the raid station which makes the raid station only $50 in this combo. (379 for the two reds and raid station / individual 4tb reds are $166ea)
- I also ordered in a 4TB red as an emergency backup that will be powered off most of the time in a docking station. So overall I have 3 qty of 4TB reds currently on the way
- This will hold me over until mid summer in which I will buy 3 additional 4TB red drives to create the raid 6 array I am after. This will then give me the 16TB of space I am looking for overall

Just wanted to keep you guys updated on my path as I appreciate all the help!

System Name Dell-y Driver
Processor Core i5-10400
Motherboard Asrock H410M-HVS
Cooling Intel 95w stock cooler
Memory 2x8 A-DATA 2999Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) UHD 630
Storage 1TB WD Green M.2 - 4TB Seagate Barracuda
Display(s) Asus PA248 1920x1200 IPS
Case Dell Vostro 270S case
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Dell 220w
Software Windows 10 64bit
I have the following setup on the office:

1. FreeNAS server with Athlon 5350, 4port RAID card in no-RAID mode, 16GB of RAM and 4 RE3 1TB drives in RAIDZ2 (basically RAID5 with write hole protection). Total capacity 2TB. 450w UPS.

2. FreeNAS server with C60, 8GB of RAM, 3 RE3 1TB drives in RAIDZ1. Total capacity 2TB. 250w UPS.

3. 2TB drive on a external enclosure.

I have setup the 5350 server to replicate on the C60 server every 2 hours so that if the 5350 goes down for some reason I can just switch to the C60 at any moment and I make weekly backups on the 2TB external which then are saved back at home.