• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NSA Hides Spying Backdoors into Hard Drive Firmware

Snowden? Rats out the US govt. because he's all concerned with rights and freedom. Then runs to Russia and hangs with his bud Putin because he's a defender of freedom and justice. lol Snowden is a bloody traitor! He sold out to the Russians. Why is it so hard to connect the dots? There's only 2 dots. He steals top secret info and goes to Russia. The righteous indignation was nothing more than a smoke screen to cover up he's a spy and a traitor.

Wow. Where did you get your information?

He had two choices after spilling the beans. Come back to the US and spend the rest of his life in jail, or seek asylum. Russia was the only place he was safe. When the Bolivian president (while at a meeting in Russia) stated that Snowden might be allowed asylum, his plane was redirected and searched on the way home. So ya... leaving Russia could be risky.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64

He had two choices after spilling the beans. Come back to the US and spend the rest of his life in jail, or seek asylum. Russia was the only place he was safe. When the Bolivian president (while at a meeting in Russia) stated that Snowden might be allowed asylum, his plane was redirected and searched on the way home. So ya... leaving Russia could be risky.

This, while true, does not make me trust Snowden's latest reveals.

I mean the guy said that he had papers indicating algorithms such as AES have backdoors. That would be mindblowing if true. And he decides to risk it all to leak that Verizon is wiretapping for the government? Yeah right, the guy is a publicity nut... and at this point I think anything he says is probably a load of BS.

I mean the guy said that he had papers indicating algorithms such as AES have backdoors. That would be mindblowing if true. And he decides to risk it all to leak that Verizon is wiretapping for the government? Yeah right, the guy is a publicity nut... and at this point I think anything he says is probably a load of BS.

Not following you. What is he risking by saying that Verizon is complicit, and why do you think he is a publicity nut?

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Not following you. What is he risking by saying that Verizon is complicit, and why do you think he is a publicity nut?

Because later on after he leaked the initial "Verizon government wirerapping report" he SUDDENLY had all this info on everything the government does, all the way down to SSL and AES being vulnerable.

Why wouldn't he leak that first? That's the big, disturbing stuff afterall. I think it's because he never actually had those details. He's making shit up at this point, IMO.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
I know what you guys are saying and I cant even really disagree but what is just as real is fear and what it does to you and those around you
I fear the government more than I fear the "terrorists" because I feel the wrath of government overreach (e.g. the USA PATRIOT Act which created most of the programs Snowden exposed) but the odds of me ever seeing a terrorist are almost none. Classic misdirection ploy on the government's behalf: right hand is data mining while the left hand points at a guy in a white or black dress and turban.

You used the phrase "campaign of fear" but those words fit both the "terrorists" and the government. You'd have to disambiguate that phrase because it is literally interchangeable.

Then runs to Russia and hangs with his bud Putin because he's a defender of freedom and justice. lol Snowden is a bloody traitor! He sold out to the Russians. Why is it so hard to connect the dots? There's only 2 dots. He steals top secret info and goes to Russia. The righteous indignation was nothing more than a smoke screen to cover up he's a spy and a traitor.
Watch the Brian Williams interview with Snowden. He was in Russia because he was on flights from Honolulu to Hong Kong, to Moscow on his way to Ecuador. The reason why he didn't take a more direct route is because all flights heading East from Hawaii end up in the USA where he could have been caught by US officials. He had no intention to stay in Moscow but by the time he arrived in Moscow, it was already announced to the world that he's a wanted man. Any further flights would have likely landed him in prison. His only option to remain free was to seek asylum in Russia which Putin granted.

The data he had was disseminated before he left Hawaii. He carried no data out of the country so there was nothing Russia could get from him other than talk. Snowden, being a trained spy, knew they wouldn't do anything to him because whatever he said couldn't be collaborated with proof; hence, why they leave each other alone. I'm sure Putin is pleased with what has already transpired though because it certainly gave the USA a black eye.

Snowden's account makes sense in every way.

Last edited:
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
It might be a little generous to consider him a "trained spy." He was a NSA contractor.

Ahhzz

Staff member
System Name OrangeHaze / Silence
Processor i7-13700KF / i5-10400 /
Motherboard ROG STRIX Z690-E / MSI Z490 A-Pro Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H75 / TT ToughAir 510
Memory 64Gb GSkill Trident Z5 / 32GB Team Dark Za 3600
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2070 / Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-X 4Gb
Storage Hynix Plat P41 2Tb\Samsung MZVL21 1Tb / Samsung 980 Pro 1Tb
Display(s) 22" Dell Wide/24" Asus
Case Lian Li PC-101 ATX custom mod / Antec Lanboy Air Black & Blue
Audio Device(s) SB Audigy 7.1
Power Supply Corsair Enthusiast TX750
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed Wireless / Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
Keyboard K68 RGB — CHERRY® MX Red
Software Win10 Pro \ RIP:Win 7 Ult 64 bit
It might be a little generous to consider him a "trained spy." He was a NSA contractor.

What does the NSA do? "The National Security Agency (NSA) is a United States intelligence agency responsible for global monitoring, collection, decoding, translation and analysis of information and data for foreign intelligence and counterintelligence purposes - a discipline known as Signals intelligence (SIGINT). NSA is also charged with protection of U.S. government communications and information systems against penetration and network warfare.[8][9] The agency is authorized to accomplish its mission through clandestine means,[10] among which are bugging electronic systems[11] and allegedly engaging in sabotage through subversive software"
Sounds like spy work to me. Someone who works for them? Yeah, spy. Call it what you like.

It really sounds like you just want to talk down about anything that puts our government in a bad light, and attempt to discredit statements to the contrary. Which branch of the government do you work for, again?

Back on Topic, Bruce Schneier had a short write up on his site, and references the Ars Technica article, which does have some interesting detail, especially this section
Mistakes were made
No matter how elite a hacking group may be, Raiu said, mistakes are inevitable. Equation Group made several errors that allowed Kaspersky researchers to glean key insights into an operation that went unreported for at least 14 years.

Kaspersky first came upon the Equation Group in March 2014, while researching the Regin software that infected Belgacom and a variety of other targets. In the process, company researchers analyzed a computer located in the Middle East and dubbed the machine "Magnet of Threats" because, in addition to Regin, it was infected by four other highly advanced pieces of malware, including Turla, Careto/Mask, ItaDuke, and Animal Farm. A never-before-seen sample of malware on the computer piqued researchers' interest and turned out to be an EquationDrug module.

Following the discovery, Kaspersky researchers combed through their cloud-based Kaspersky Security Network of exploits and infections reported by AV users and looked for similarities and connections. In the following months, the researchers uncovered additional pieces of malware used by Equation Group as well as the domain names used to host command channels.

Perhaps most costly to the attackers was their failure to renew some of the domains used by these servers. Out of the 300 or so domains used, about 20 were allowed to expire. Kaspersky quickly registered the domains and, over the past ten months, has used them to "sinkhole" the command channels, a process in which researchers monitor incoming connections from Equation Group-infected machines.

One of the most severe renewal failures involved a channel that controlled computers infected by "EquationLaser," an early malware platform abandoned around 2003 when antivirus programs began to detect it. The underlying domain name remained active for years until one day, it didn't; Kaspersky acquired it and EquationLaser-infected machines still report to it.

"It's really surprising to see there are victims around the world infected with this malware from 12 years ago," Raiu said. He continues to see about a dozen infected machines that report from countries that include Russia, Iran, China, and India.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
That strongly suggests they've been functionally replaced. If it took 12 years for Kaspersky to find those, how many more are they missing?

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
The same Ars Technica article I liked to on page three, but if you read other posts you would have seen that ....

Ahhzz

Staff member
The same Ars Technica article I liked to on page three, but if you read other posts you would have seen that ....
I did see that, but Bruce commenting on it is new, and I liked the section I "spoiled", so I put that in there :)

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
It really sounds like you just want to talk down aboutanything that puts our government in a bad light, and attempt to discredit statements to the contrary. Which branch of the government do you work for, again?

Uh no. Read my posts again. I really doubt the government has anything good in mind for us with these programs. Example

As for which branch of government I work in, it's the unemployed one. :p I won't deny I have a background in college cryptography (though I failed to finish my degree, it's a long story). But my knowledge is why I find everything Snowden related (save the verifiable Verizon report) laughable. It doesn't add up. I don't like the NSA or administration's policies. I do laugh at Snowden every chance I get though because the evidence justifies it.

For the record, I'm the kind of person the NSA likely keeps tabs on, not the other way around. I openly criticize our government and have a background in skills that could be used to disrupt their monitoring programs. The fact that you accuse me of being a government agent for thinking different than you is frankly, grasping at straws.

As for the spy comment, Snowden strikes me more as a datasorting nerd (god knows USA needs a lot of SQL people to manage that data). I guess you could call him a spy, but I think the KGB cold-war type "spies" could crack him pretty fast... and possibly did.

Last edited:
System Name Juliette // HTPC
Processor Intel i7 9700K // AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard ASUS Prime Z390X-A // ASRock B550 ITX-AC
Cooling Noctua NH-U12 Black // Stock
Memory Corsair DDR4 3600 32gb //G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX4070 OC// GTX 1650
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1Tb, Intel 665p Series M.2 2280 1TB // Samsung 1Tb SSD
Display(s) ASUS VP348QGL 34" Quad HD 3440 x 1440 // 55" LG 4K SK8000 Series
Case Seasonic SYNCRO Q7// Silverstone Granada GD05
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 // HDMI to Samsung HW-R650 sound bar
Power Supply Seasonic SYNCRO 750 W // CORSAIR Vengeance 650M
Mouse Cooler Master MM710 53G
Keyboard Logitech 920-009300 G512 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro // Windows 10 Pro

Newer said they were. I was commenting on Snowden.

I'm saying it all stinks and it being planned makes more sense than this series of issues out of his control.

Watch the Brian Williams interview with Snowden. He was in Russia because he was on flights from Honolulu to Hong Kong, to Moscow on his way to Ecuador. The reason why he didn't take a more direct route is because all flights heading East from Hawaii end up in the USA where he could have been caught by US officials. He had no intention to stay in Moscow but by the time he arrived in Moscow, it was already announced to the world that he's a wanted man. Any further flights would have likely landed him in prison. His only option to remain free was to seek asylum in Russia which Putin granted.

The data he had was disseminated before he left Hawaii. He carried no data out of the country so there was nothing Russia could get from him other than talk. Snowden, being a trained spy, knew they wouldn't do anything to him because whatever he said couldn't be collaborated with proof; hence, why they leave each other alone. I'm sure Putin is pleased with what has already transpired though because it certainly gave the USA a black eye.

Snowden's account makes sense in every way.

Only if you want it to. Just like people who think Bush perpetrated 9/11 makes sense to them, and NASA never landed on the moon. It's whatever you want to believe.

If you guys think him moving to Russia shows he has any integrity rather than the opposite I don't know what to say. He's supposed to be concerned with individual rights but seeks asylum in Russia? How does that make sense to anyone? He took secrets and went to Russia. He's a defector not Robin Hood.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Robin hood himself probably wasn't as great as the legend. People need heroes. When they lack true heroes, they glorify substitute ones.

System Name Juliette // HTPC
Processor Intel i7 9700K // AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard ASUS Prime Z390X-A // ASRock B550 ITX-AC
Cooling Noctua NH-U12 Black // Stock
Memory Corsair DDR4 3600 32gb //G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX4070 OC// GTX 1650
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1Tb, Intel 665p Series M.2 2280 1TB // Samsung 1Tb SSD
Display(s) ASUS VP348QGL 34" Quad HD 3440 x 1440 // 55" LG 4K SK8000 Series
Case Seasonic SYNCRO Q7// Silverstone Granada GD05
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 // HDMI to Samsung HW-R650 sound bar
Power Supply Seasonic SYNCRO 750 W // CORSAIR Vengeance 650M
Mouse Cooler Master MM710 53G
Keyboard Logitech 920-009300 G512 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro // Windows 10 Pro
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Wish my area had something going like that...

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
If you guys think him moving to Russia shows he has any integrity rather than the opposite I don't know what to say. He's supposed to be concerned with individual rights but seeks asylum in Russia? How does that make sense to anyone? He took secrets and went to Russia. He's a defector not Robin Hood.
He had no choice. Snowden knew Obama would use the Espionage Act against him (like he did to Manning) and that's exactly what happened. Espionage Act basically jumps straight from whistleblower to treason so he doesn't even get a chance to explain himself (again, like Manning). His only option was to leave the country and Ecuador was the best option seeing how Julian Assange is doing well there.

He fled because the Obama administration gave him no option to stay. The Obama administration has an established track record of this. Daniel Ellsberg, whom leaked the Pentagon Papers, praised Snowden and scolded the administration. This is the most anti-whistleblower administration in recent memory and it presents itself in many ways from the fouled implementation of Obamacare to the firing of over 900 people from the Veteran's Affairs. People simply won't talk about problems on record which effectively means journalists can't report on it.

He had no choice. Snowden knew Obama would use the Espionage Act against him (like he did to Manning) and that's exactly what happened. Espionage Act basically jumps straight from whistleblower to treason so he doesn't even get a chance to explain himself (again, like Manning). His only option was to leave the country and Ecuador was the best option seeing how Julian Assange is doing well there.

He fled because the Obama administration gave him no option to stay. The Obama administration has an established track record of this. Daniel Ellsberg, whom leaked the Pentagon Papers, praised Snowden and scolded the administration. This is the most anti-whistleblower administration in recent memory and it presents itself in many ways from the fouled implementation of Obamacare to the firing of over 900 people from the Veteran's Affairs. People simply won't talk about problems on record which effectively means journalists can't report on it.
People always have choices. Snowden made his. He's sitting there in Russia watching Putin sponsoring overthrows of neighboring governments along the Red Sea acting like he cares that the US is listening to your phone calls. I don't understand why people are so gullible as to believe this stuff.

Ahhzz

Staff member

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/m...age-act-to-go-after-reporters/article/2530340

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/charlie-hebdo-survivor-obama/2015/01/25/id/620634/

People always have choices. Snowden made his. He's sitting there in Russia watching Putin sponsoring overthrows of neighboring governments along the Red Sea acting like he cares that the US is listening to your phone calls. I don't understand why people are so gullible as to believe this stuff.

I agree. He could have ignored the many violations of the constitution and the laws of this country and not violated the espionage act. He could have chosen to not report what shady deals his government has made to get around the letter of the law. He could have chosen to ignore the bullying tactics the NSA and other government agencies have used to force businesses to ignore personal liberties and freedoms guaranteed under the constitution, with promises of protection, like when Bush had a law passed that protected the Telecom agencies from lawsuits from the shit they pulled after 9/11. He could have chosen to just quit or keep doing the shit-job he was doing, and stayed at home, comfy with his life, his girl, his family. But he didn't. He chose to bring those things to light. And he's sitting in a bully's backyard, hoping the bigger bully doesn't strike a deal with his bully.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Perhaps I've been a little mean to Snowden. I still think he's full of BS now and on a lot of his reveals, but that's not the point.

I'm actually with you on the "running to Russia". He didn't have much choice but to settle in Russia. It was a case of a bad or a worse situation. I just don't see his reveals following the initial report as even remotely credible. I think he's trying to look important to the KGB right now more than anything.

And yes, I do respect him for calling the government out. I just wish the government itself offered more ways to do this within it's own system. In an ideal world, you wouldn't have to run like that just to tell people about some wrongdoings. But we don't live in an ideal world.

Ahhzz

Staff member
Perhaps I've been a little mean to Snowden. I still think he's full of BS now and on a lot of his reveals, but that's not the point.

I'm actually with you on the "running to Russia". He didn't have much choice but to settle in Russia. It was a case of a bad or a worse situation. I just don't see his reveals following the initial report as even remotely credible. I think he's trying to look important to the KGB right now more than anything.

And yes, I do respect him for calling the government out. I just wish the government itself offered more ways to do this within it's own system. In an ideal world, you wouldn't have to run like that just to tell people about some wrongdoings. But we don't live in an ideal world.
Much respect for an excellent post.
:respect:

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
I just don't see his reveals following the initial report as even remotely credible. I think he's trying to look important to the KGB right now more than anything.
The government didn't deny the existence of any of the programs he revealed. He's also credible because everything he said has been fact-checked and stood the test.

Snowden's goal in life was to join US special forces but during training, he broke his legs (halo jump if memory serves). This spelled the end of his special forces ambitions so he went into intelligence instead (CIA, then NSA, if memory serves). So there's three reasons the KGB doesn't want him:
1) He is American, not Russian. His loyalties are in doubt.
2) He suffered a major injury that makes him unfit for deployment.
3) He doesn't speak Russian. He may have learned a few words by now but he is in no way fluent or even passable.

Snowden deliberately did not do many press interviews in the year after the data was leaked. The reason for this is because he wanted the government's behavior to be the showcase and not him. He wanted the press to do the investigative research on the programs and tell the story because he didn't want to be the story.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
I've read some reveals credited to him in various forums calling everything from AES to SSL into question without much cooreberating evidence. Those are the kind of things I take with a grain of salt, to say the least.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/m...age-act-to-go-after-reporters/article/2530340

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/charlie-hebdo-survivor-obama/2015/01/25/id/620634/

I agree. He could have ignored the many violations of the constitution and the laws of this country and not violated the espionage act. He could have chosen to not report what shady deals his government has made to get around the letter of the law. He could have chosen to ignore the bullying tactics the NSA and other government agencies have used to force businesses to ignore personal liberties and freedoms guaranteed under the constitution, with promises of protection, like when Bush had a law passed that protected the Telecom agencies from lawsuits from the shit they pulled after 9/11. He could have chosen to just quit or keep doing the shit-job he was doing, and stayed at home, comfy with his life, his girl, his family. But he didn't. He chose to bring those things to light. And he's sitting in a bully's backyard, hoping the bigger bully doesn't strike a deal with his bully.
I've had my say. There isn't really anything more I can add. If people want to find reasons to accept what he's done and how he's gone about it that's fine. For me his actions are pretty cut and dry.

For the record though, I never said he should have ignored anything. Those are your words somehow claiming that's what I meant.

Hmmm...at least some of my paranoid delusions are, as it turns out, based in reality. Imagine that. So I'll say it again, with confidence this time.

If you are connected to the internet...you are vulnerable! There are backdoors you've never(until just now probably) even heard of! If they want in, they'll get in! And there's nothing you can do about it! Don't pretend like they won't/can't!!!

"They" = Hackers of any/all types or persuasions.