• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

"It Won't Happen Again:" NVIDIA CEO Breaks Silence on GTX 970 Controversy

System Name Steam Red Box
Processor Intel Core I7 3770k @ 5.0 Ghz
Motherboard Asus Maximus V Gene
Cooling Custom Water Cooling for CPU, DRAM, GPU, VRM and Chipset
Memory Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 2600MHz C12
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon R9 290x (Core 1.170GHz, Memory 1.5Ghz)
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 128gb, 840 Evo 250gb, 850 Evo 250gb msata and Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM 3 tb
Display(s) BenQ RL2450HT 24.0" 1080p
Case Corsair 350D
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster Zx
Power Supply Corsair AX 1200i
Mouse Razer Mamba 2012
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK PRO
Software Microsoft Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
lol that would pretty much ensure the opposite happens. AMD has gone through how many ceo's in the last 22 years? How's that worked out for them? Did Hector Ruiz respect the consumer? how about the others? Did amd stay true to its roots of offering low cost microprocessors and motherboard chipsets when it got the performance lead during the Athlon 64 and X2 or did they resort to 250$ mortherboards and 500$ cpus?

seriously ones who don't care don't respond.

I dont think this is a Nvidia vs AMD discuss, this is about consumer vs enterprises, and also all that you said is not "hidden the truth" to the consumer but maybe change the strategy, so even if AMD or any other company that make this kind of thing should be treated the same....

System Name SnowFire / The Reinforcer
Processor i7 10700K 5.1ghz (24/7) / 2x Xeon E52650v2
Motherboard Asus Strix Z490 / Dell Dual Socket (R720)
Cooling RX 360mm + 140mm Custom Loop / Dell Stock
Memory Corsair RGB 16gb DDR4 3000 CL 16 / DDR3 128gb 16 x 8gb
Video Card(s) GTX Titan XP (2025mhz) / Asus GTX 950 (No Power Connector)
Storage Samsung 970 1tb NVME and 2tb HDD x4 RAID 5 / 300gb x8 RAID 5
Display(s) Acer XG270HU, Samsung G7 Odyssey (1440p 240hz)
Case Thermaltake Cube / Dell Poweredge R720 Rack Mount Case
Audio Device(s) Realtec ALC1150 (On board)
Power Supply Rosewill Lightning 1300Watt / Dell Stock 750 / Brick
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Logitech G19S
Software Windows 11 Pro / Windows Server 2016
Not sure how to count this, the wording hints at multiple things instead of sounding like an apology.

lol,

It's a very clever apology, not sincere in the slightest but very clever.
Yea I am with you on that, it really has no sincerity in it but more than anything it almost sounds to me at least like he is saying we are ungrateful to them for this. Maybe I am reading into it to much...

What the hell guys. You all have miscommunications, and don't make a big deal. We're all human, we make mistakes, get over it.
NV had a miscommunication, so what, no one is perfect. Quit bashing them when they at least own up to their mistake.

Next time I see one of you mess up, I'll just link this thread into your post and remind you of how much of an ass you are.

NO HUMAN IS PERFECT.
We are all human, and we all do make mistakes. However your telling me a multi-million dollar company did not catch these types of things before sending it out to the public along with specs sheets for months? That's a different story and I am pretty sure NVidia has some sort of way to check these things before speaking or showing to the public since most businesses want to cover themselves as much as possible.

So basically they tried to make the 970 a 4gb card and they saw that they would not make it and maybe they saw that advertising the card has a 3gb card wouldn´t be that excitement from a 780 3gb card and decided to advertise it as a 4gb card.
That sounds about right honestly if we are going off of the intentional theory.

I honestly see something more here overall than just an oversight, but that is just my opinion and Jen-Hsun's comment did not exactly help my opinion on that.

BUCK NASTY

4P Enthusiust
System Name Main Rig
Processor AMD FX-4130 @ 4.8Ghz
Motherboard ASUS M5A99X Evo
Cooling Coolermaster Hyper 212+
Memory 8GB GSkill DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX 970 Strix @ 1503Mhz Core
Storage Corsair Force 90gb SSD/ WD Caviar Blue 750gb
Display(s) ASUS 24" IPS
Case Coolermaster Centurion 590
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Antec TP750 80+
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64
I accept your apology Jen-Hsun Huang. Now give me my settlement money for the 6x GTX 970's that I own.

Outback Bronze

Staff member
System Name Raptor Baked
Processor 14900k w.c.
Motherboard Z790 Hero
Cooling w.c.
Memory 32GB Hynix
Video Card(s) Zotac 4080 w.c.
Storage 2TB Kingston kc3k
Display(s) Gigabyte 34" Curved
Case Corsair 460X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply PCIe5 850w
Mouse Asus
Keyboard Corsair
Software Win 11
Benchmark Scores Cool n Quiet.
They should have marketed a 3GB card so everyone would have been talking about the BONUS 512 of memory
instead of marketing a 4GB and everybody getting pissed about only having 3.5GB.
No excuses and extremely unprofessional from a multi million/billion dollar company.

System Name Dave
Processor AMD R7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120
Memory 2x16GB Kingston Fury Beast DDR5 6000 Tuned
Video Card(s) Pailt Nvidia RTX 4080 Gamerock Omniblack
Storage 2x 500GB 1x 1TB NVME's
Display(s) iiyama ProLite XUB3493WQSU-B1
Case Fractal Design Meshify 2 Compact
Audio Device(s) Couple of USB DAC's
Power Supply Be Quiet Pure Power 12M 850w
Mouse Logitech G305
Keyboard Wooting 2
Software Microshaft Winhoes 11
Benchmark Scores NO BENCH! ONLY GAME!
"This is a good design"

No, Jen-Hsun... No it is not...

This letter is about as apologetic as putting lemon juice in my eyes.

if this is an apology letter. they its the worst!
no offer to refund, no offer to upgrade, nothing! frigging CHEAT

"Instead of being excited that we invented a way to increase memory of the GTX 970 from 3GB to 4GB, some were disappointed that we didn't better describe the segmented nature of the architecture for that last 1GB of memory."

4 months ago...

Me - "Did you hear about that new feature with the gtx970... I'm so excited by it!"

Friend - "No, what is it?"

Me - "I don't know. They haven't told us about it. So i'm excited by it!"

Friend - "That's great logic dude! I'm excited now too."

Storage Samsung 840 Pro 128gb, 840 Evo 250gb, 850 Evo 250gb msata and Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM 3 tb
Case Corsair 350D
Mouse Razer Mamba 2012
"Instead of being excited that we invented a way to increase memory of the GTX 970 from 3GB to 4GB, some were disappointed that we didn't better describe the segmented nature of the architecture for that last 1GB of memory."

4 months ago...

Me - "Did you hear about that new feature with the gtx970... I'm so excited by it!"

Friend - "No, what is it?"

Me - "I don't know. They haven't told us about it. So i'm excited by it!"

Friend - "That's great logic dude! I'm excited now too."

Completly agree with this, if they want us to be exicited about "adding aditional weird 1gb" at least they should told us on release date...

Unfortunately, we failed to communicate this internally to our marketing team, and externally to reviewers at launch.

That's the BS part. The driver team knew since they were allocating low access resources into the 512mb sector. It doesn't fly that there was a communication problem if 2 separate departments hardware and software knew with software developing drivers continuing to optimize for it. Reeks of deception or cover your ass because the lawsuits are coming.

Isn't Heng
I dont think this is a Nvidia vs AMD discuss, this is about consumer vs enterprises, and also all that you said is not "hidden the truth" to the consumer but maybe change the strategy, so even if AMD or any other company that make this kind of thing should be treated the same....

Exactly. I'm not against NVIDIA as such. I'm against them when they pull shit like this with GTX 970. I don't hate GTX 980, because that one is a good card. But at the same time it sucks to be their cusotmer, because you're placed in a shitty position because of it. Have a GTX 970 with potentially questionable performance or fork out a lot more for GTX 980 in which case you'll just be fueling their lies. After all, the controversy kinda forced more people to buy more expensive GTX 980 if they wanted NVIDIA card for whatever reason...

System Name MoneySink
Processor 2600K @ 4.8
Motherboard P8Z77-V
Cooling AC NexXxos XT45 360, RayStorm, D5T+XSPC tank, Tygon R-3603, Bitspower
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600C8
Video Card(s) GTX 780 SLI (EVGA SC ACX + Giga GHz Ed.)
Storage Kingston HyperX SSD (128) OS, WD RE4 (1TB), RE2 (1TB), Cav. Black (2 x 500GB), Red (4TB)
Display(s) Achieva Shimian QH270-IPSMS (2560x1440) S-IPS
Case NZXT Switch 810
Audio Device(s) onboard Realtek yawn edition
Power Supply Seasonic X-1050
Software Win8.1 Pro
Benchmark Scores 3.5 litres of Pale Ale in 18 minutes.
lol,
It's a very clever apology, not sincere in the slightest but very clever.
More like an explanation worded to sound like an apology
I accept your apology Jen-Hsun Huang. Now give me my settlement money for the 6x GTX 970's that I own.
Don't count on too big a windfall

Buy a table and and 4 chairs,
Some one sits on the fourth chair,
It collapses.
"Well we were originally going to sell it with only three chairs, but we found an innovative new way to add a fourth. The last one is made of cardboard and bubble gum. We thought you'd be excited!"

Nvidia it's time for a new CEO, I hope will replace with someone who RESPECT the company and consumers...

if anything i think this is the hardest thing to happen. AFAIK they have much worse mess with Fermi and JHH still lead the company after that. plus JHH won't give up the CEO position even if other company to buy Nvidia lol.

Case Corsair 350D
Mouse Razer Mamba 2012
Buy a table and and 4 chairs,
Some one sits on the fourth chair,
It collapses.
"Well we were originally going to sell it with only three chairs, but we found an innovative new way to add a fourth. The last one is made of cardboard and bubble gum. We thought you'd be excited!"

I dont know why is everyone complaining about it, my table works great and I dont have any intentions to use the fourth chair either way, and if I need it, Ill change my hole set for a new better set..... of course of the same brand... just in case I want finish this by saying I'm being sarcastic...

Last edited:
System Name MoneySink
Processor 2600K @ 4.8
Motherboard P8Z77-V
Cooling AC NexXxos XT45 360, RayStorm, D5T+XSPC tank, Tygon R-3603, Bitspower
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600C8
Video Card(s) GTX 780 SLI (EVGA SC ACX + Giga GHz Ed.)
Storage Kingston HyperX SSD (128) OS, WD RE4 (1TB), RE2 (1TB), Cav. Black (2 x 500GB), Red (4TB)
Display(s) Achieva Shimian QH270-IPSMS (2560x1440) S-IPS
Case NZXT Switch 810
Audio Device(s) onboard Realtek yawn edition
Power Supply Seasonic X-1050
Software Win8.1 Pro
Benchmark Scores 3.5 litres of Pale Ale in 18 minutes.
Nvidia it's time for a new CEO, I hope will replace with someone who RESPECT the company and consumers...
if anything i think this is the hardest thing to happen. AFAIK they have much worse mess with Fermi and JHH still lead the company after that. plus JHH won't give up the CEO position even if other company to buy Nvidia lol.
Companies as a general rule don't oust successful CEO's - especially when they are founders. Balance the GTX 970 issue against both a record last quarter and record year, and outselling their principle competitor with discrete GPUs versus the competitions GPU + APU portfolio. If the role was reversed, how likely would it be that AMD or Intel would fire their CEO after a record year in revenue because of an issue with a single SKU?
I dont know why is everyone complaining about it, my table works great and I dont have any intentions to use the fourth chair either way
Seating for three, or up-end the chairs and you have seating for 12 of the lawyers involved in the civil suit.

iO

Processor R7 5700x
Motherboard MSI B450i Gaming
Cooling Accelero Mono CPU Edition
Memory 16 GB VLP
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6700 XT
Storage P34A80 512GB
Display(s) LG 27UM67 UHD
Case none
Power Supply SS G-650
But hey it only took them five weeks and an incoming class-action suit to officially respond on the topic...

System Name Gwafwar
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Msi MPG X570 Gaming Plus
Memory 16Gb Adata Spectrix 3600 Cl18
Video Card(s) Palit GTX970 SLI
Storage Adata 512Gb SX8200 pro
Display(s) 3x 27" 1080p Lg's
Case Coolermaster 690 II pure black
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Coolermaster 750W Masterwatt
Mouse Saitek X65-f HOTAS
Software Win10 Pro
I would love to defend Nvidia in this.

My own 970's are fantastic. They would have still been fantastic if they had not attempted to hide a "feature".

If they had not bothered to add in that last 1GB then the problem is where does the 780 end and the 970 start. So they tweaked the configuration and put-in a semi working feature with the hopes of controlling it with software designed to not allocate to that segment of memory.

What that statement is actually saying is we were hoping to force these cards to opperate as a 3.5GB card via drivers. So they had no intention of ever having the final user have access to the whole 4GB of memory. So in effect the statement he has given is more of a rod for his own back in this instance.

Bring me the popcorn this is better than Samsung V/s Apple.

"it wont happen again" "next time well do better" lol there is no next time nvidia, no way im gonna buy nvidia ever.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
"it wont happen again" "next time well do better" lol there is no next time nvidia, no way im gonna buy nvidia ever.
So who will be buy? AMD? You remember when they released a card marketed at 1000MHz and then after a reasonable gaming session was found to drop down as low as 550MHz? It could last long enough to get through benchmarks, so the reviews were good, but actual user experience wasn't as good. Remember that? No? How about the time AMD released a card, let it go through all the reviews(which gave it very good reviews) and then released a driver that purposely and drastically reduced performance to stop the cards from dying pre-maturely? No. Don't remember that? Remember how they didn't even bother to apologize for either? Yeah, good times!

All you people need to get over your hate on nVidia because this is nothing compared to what some other companies have done and never even bothered to apologize for. What nVidia did was a marketing mistake, it doesn't affect the performance of the card we bought compared to the reviews we all read.

So who will be buy? AMD? You remember when they released a card marketed at 1000MHz and then after a reasonable gaming session was found to drop down as low as 550MHz? It could last long enough to get through benchmarks, so the reviews were good, but actual user experience wasn't as good. Remember that? No? How about the time AMD released a card, let it go through all the reviews(which gave it very good reviews) and then released a driver that purposely and drastically reduced performance to stop the cards from dying pre-maturely? No. Don't remember that? Remember how they didn't even bother to apologize for either? Yeah, good times!

All you people need to get over your hate on nVidia because this is nothing compared to what some other companies have done and never even bothered to apologize for. What nVidia did was a marketing mistake, it doesn't affect the performance of the card we bought compared to the reviews we all read.

Obviously you don't remember that AMD got crap over it because it never specified a base clock and used the words "Up To". Many people here defending Nvidia complained about that or they just conveniently forgot.

You seem to be implying its okay and should be accepted because others do it as its common practice. That's a sad state to be in as a consumer.

System Name Desktop | Laptop
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Intel Core i7 7700HQ
Motherboard MAG X570S Torpedo Max| Neptune KLS HM175
Cooling Corsair H100x | Twin fan, fin stack & heat pipes
Memory 32GB G.Skill F4-3600C16-8GVK @ 3600MHz / 16-16-16-36-1T | 16GB DDR4 @ 2400MHz / 17-17-17-39-2T
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | GTX 1050 Ti 4GB
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB + Kingston KC3000 2TB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 970 Evo 500GB
Display(s) 32" Dell G3223Q (2160p @ 144Hz) | 17" IPS 1920x1080P
Case Fractal Meshify 2 Compact | Aspire V Nitro BE
Audio Device(s) ifi Audio ZEN DAC V2 + Focal Radiance / HyperX Solocast
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 1000W | 150W
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate | Logitech MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Razer Huntsman V2 Optical (Linear Red)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
I think Nvidia need to do less apologizing and more explaining of how they will correct the performance issues seen in some scenarios. It's obvious that having segmented memory seems to slow the entire memory system down when it has to deal with the smaller segment. Perhaps they need to add a 'switch' to their drivers in which the card completely ignores the smaller 512MB segment as to keep the 3.5GB segment at maximum speed. This may help remove micro-stutter and the other various issues reported.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Obviously you don't remember that AMD got crap over it because it never specified a base clock and used the words "Up To". Many people here defending Nvidia complained about that or they just conveniently forgot.

You seem to be implying its okay and should be accepted because others do it as its common practice. That's a sad state to be in as a consumer.

I do remember they got crap over it, but they never apologized, they got crap over their drivers deliberately reducing performance too but didn't apologize either.

What I'm directly saying, not implying anything, is that people need to cut nVidia some slack. Their mistake was on paper, on paper that was private, it didn't affect the performance we were promised through reviews. The card has not changed just because the specs on paper did. People shouldn't be buying cards on specs anyway, or name, they should be buying them based on the performance they get in reviews. And nVidia did not change that performance, AMD on the other hand did. AMD did cheat in the reviews, nVidia didn't. Yet, nVidia apologizes and people still want to bash, AMD never even comments on the problems when they get caught.

I think Nvidia need to do less apologizing and more explaining of how they will correct the performance issues seen in some scenarios. It's obvious that having segmented memory seems to slow the entire memory system down when it has to deal with the smaller segment. Perhaps they need to add a 'switch' to their drivers in which the card completely ignores the smaller 512MB segment as to keep the 3.5GB segment at maximum speed. This may help remove micro-stutter and the other various issues reported.

That is the thing, having the 512MB only improves performance. Turning if off means that the card would start paging out to system RAM instead of accessing the 512MB, that is way worse.

Case Corsair 350D
Mouse Razer Mamba 2012

I would say at least skip this generation donr support this kind of things

System Name Main
Processor Ryzen 5950x
Motherboard B550 PG Velocita
Cooling Water
Memory Ballistix
Video Card(s) RX 6900XT
Storage T-FORCE CARDEA A440 PRO
Display(s) Samsung UE590
Case QUBE 500
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z623
Power Supply LEADEX V 1KW
Mouse Cooler Master MM710
Keyboard Huntsman Elite
Software 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://hwbot.org/user/damric/
Dear Jen-Hsun,

Don't worry. As a consumer, my memory is shorter than that of an American voter. I'll still buy your stuff, even if you use lead paint and baby fetuses for thermal grease.

Your dearly beloved,

Fanboy.