• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

SLI with different cards

alhaynes86

hey new here (but not new to builds or mods) ive heard of this program or something similar before but im just now finding it and hopefully ill be falling in love with the performance gains... but right now im running into probs with in the nvidia control panel or drivers not working.... soo ill give you the run down of my problem.. maybe its something simple im not sure...
Specs a amd 9370, asus board x990 sli cert, gpu 660, and 780... i installed the newest drivers (347.52) and i have DifferentSLIAuto1.3 i followed the readme inside the zip folder and followed it to the T (with reboots and test mode is enabled no uac no antivirus ect ect...) so i installed the drivers this installed fine did a clean install... i copied the correct dll file and pasted it in the correct folder the patcher is in... i ran the patcher and patched it.. it said it was successful.. i closed this.. i ran the install.cmd as administrator... that ran its course and everything turned green and i rebooted again.. BUT while it was closing the folders and notepad and just as it shutoff. (all the programs about the patcher was already good and closed) a error popped up and it restarts just as fast as it came so i didnt quite see it.... i looked in event viewer the latest errors i see is nvidia errors with the programs control panel im guessing.. i right clicked and still no control panel option.. i opened it manually from the contrl panel to no avail... nothing happens not even a warning... (but nvidia experience isnt working) msi after burnder isn't reading the cards either... nor is dxdiag... yet in device manager under display adapters it does show.. the 660 gtx and the 780 gtx.. BUT in the properties under general and device status... it reads.. Windows cannot verify the digital signature for the drivers required for this device. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be malicious software from an unknown source. (Code 52) so im thinking i need to force the drivers or this is happening cause of the testing mode??? im not sure... not really familiar with this type of things with drivers... i feel like since the patch and install went so smooth this is just something im looking over.. id love it if someone could tell me whats going on.. as of now ill be looking up how to allow drivers to run even if not digitally signed. (i must be doing something not quite right... has to be simple.)

@ alhaynes86 & Everyone Else

Download fresh new DifferentSLIAuto1.3 fresh in post #1

I'd say download dseo (Driver Signature Enforcer Overrider) http://www.ngohq.com/?page=dseo

Install the nvidia driver and restart first to a working driver with nvidia control panel access just no sli support yet.

Copy nvlddmkm.sys from c:\windows\system32\drivers\ ... to the patcher directory .. run patcher .. success .. copy back nvlddmkm.sys to c:\windows\system32\drivers

Enable test mode first. Then sign a system file. In the directory path of sign a system file put this in there ... c:\windows\system32\drivers\nvlddmkm.sys .... Enter .... Restart .. Good To Go.

Good Luck

jeffreyunterberg

Hello :),
is it possible to delete or disable the Windows 8.1 test mode sign without disable differentSLI.
I currently using the updated version of differentSLI 1.3.

Thanks in advance for your answers! :D

alhaynes86

@chris189 i got past the biggest of my problems last night... i got everything to work... with one huge exception when i go into the control panel and i try to enable sli and i push apply it gets extremely pixelated. unable to see anything its like the drivers reverted back to not being able to be read again.. i say this cause when it got pixelated after enabling sli i could no longer open up the nvidia control panel... i think this has something to do with the mismatching dev numbers??? doing a 660 and a 780 together... the dev numbers do not match.. is this still a problem with new versions of this program and yes i was using 1.3 and 1.2 i worked at this for serveral hours last night i figured out if you boot up hitting f8 you can choose to not enforce driver signatures this way and you are not in testmode either so this way also works but still pixelation also did it with testmode and driver signing as well with the same problem... im thinking this has something to do with the dev numbers can anyone one confirm this is my problem i know for a fact there is nothing im doing wrong unless the driver version im using is just to new???

@alhaynes86

It's probably because when you sli two different cards the faster card clocks as low as the slower card.

The ideal approach to this is to VGA mod both GPU's to the same Vendor like EVGA for instance and set all the clocks for all the states the exact same clock.

I bet it's because the VGA ram de-clocked or over-clocked to a level the voltage cannot withstand. This is common especially among 320-bit+ video cards like the GTX 780 at 384-bit memory.

The GTX 660 is 192-bit so comparing 384-bit to 192-bit, the 660 is 200% less memory throughput than the GTX 780.

If your willing the get a usb flash drive ready with bootable ms-dos and have me mod you up some vga bios for your two cards as long as you list their exact model numbers. I can match up vendor, and clocks to have them at 1:1 symmetrical performance states.

This will give you the very best scaling possible.

Let me know

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Just run the 780 Al... it has plenty of horsepower for 2560x1440 on down. You are mixing and matching two dramatically different performing cards....

Last edited:

alhaynes86

that would defeat the purpose of the entire program, thread, all the work and time anyone here has put in this...... i have an extra 660 literally laying around if i can tap into that extra horsepower why would i not? you say this is enough.... but honestly once you max everything out in a lot of AAA titles and im just at 1080p i hover around 30fps... sometimes much more.. but thats my bottom end.. seeing dips as much as 20fps do i really need to explain why i would want to do this outside of spending $500 more on another 780? so no it really dont have plenty of horsepower... not at all. i challenge you to say that you do even if you have 3 way sli 980's. cause you still couldnt game at 60 fps on 4k surround... even with that. to much is never enough when it comes to gpu's. imo

Is it worth the effort? Clearly its ok if it is, but, its less effort to........sell the 780 and the 660 and get a 970/980/290x/290x and call it a day rather than waste time on a hack and getting it working properly with such dramatically different cards.

Are you running 4K surround? Let's worry about you and 1080p before dealing with unrelated hypotheticals. ;)

A 970 or a 290 are plenty of horsepower for 1080p with in game Ultra settings (outside of Crysis, LOL!).

Another thing thing is that you have a AMD chip trying to drive 2 GPUs. That is holding things back in the first place, but I don't think that is the real issue with this setup.

But I digress... my apologies for crapping. :(

I would sell the 660 because 192 bit is not something I'd ever run. No one in my mind except kids should run a card below 256-bit ever. It's the bit and ROP's that matter the most honestly. The GTX 980 is simply amazing with it's as true as can be 64 ROP's on one card, however it's low energy 256-bit bus limits it. Luckily I believe it can handle 3-way SLI and that's baller. Again we are talking into finances well beyond a fathomable sense.

I'm my mind your 780 is solid however if it's the 3GB model :/ I'd just feel a bit off running it. The 780 is unreal though because of it's 384-bit width.

When it comes down to it and what you have and what you want to do you may see about 10-20 more fps on top of your 95fps from the 780. I'd just buy more 780's and 3-way SLI them.

The very best card hands down for your money is the GTX 760 MARS in my mind. Buy 2 of them for Quad-SLI and really tear it up for less than $875. By Christmas though the GTX 760 Mars will be way less around $200 and I'm going to hop on it.

alhaynes86

yea selling both to get one 980 isnt a bad idea...but as far as you talking about my amd cpu not being able to push 2 gpu's that utterly laughable... 8 physical cores running at 5 ghz... hmmm yea thats plenty.

the mars gpu's was surprising to me for the amount of bang it had idk why they aint doing this with another gpu like the 980 its a perfect candidate for its low power consumption. ive been 2nd guessing the 980's for awhile and i keep 2nd guessing them too cause ive seen a lot of direct comparisons with the 780, 970, and 980 running side by side and the fps difference isn't worth the hassle of selling both these cards and buying another one.

Last edited by a moderator:
but as far as you talking about my amd cpu not being able to push 2 gpu's that utterly laughable... 8 physical cores running at 5 ghz... hmmm yea thats plenty.
You should read a review on that...there is a glass ceiling with AMD CPU's and multiple GPUs. The Intels actually best them in 2GPU and more configs clock for clock. Its looking like a several % difference. PCIe2 is 1% or so, the rest is the glass ceiling. But clock for clock, the Intel runs multi GPU setups faster. ;)
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6934/choosing-a-gaming-cpu-single-multigpu-at-1440p/9

Last edited:

alhaynes86

i just looked at the latest heaven 4 benchmarks with a 980 lightning and they are scoring a 1651 average fps 65.6 and my latest bench with my card was 1801 and average fps 71.5... so its not a bad idea to switch 780 to 980 but right now i dont see why its worth it.. as for a debate about my cpu this 980 bench had a intel i7... if you wanna debate about cpu and how they help the gpu perform sure lets get right into that.. how much do you think you are going to get fps wise per $100 more that you spend on a cpu... im going to throw a liberal number out here... from a dual core to a i7 your going to be looking at about a 10fps difference.. so tell me how this is reallllly worth my money... simply its not.. as for pci 3.0 and pci 2.0 there is also very little difference... so all in all why in hell monkey fucks would i spend a total of $500 more on a cpu and board just to have 10-15 more fps... and i could just get a whole other 780 for that price...

btw that article was written before my cpu was even known about.

Last edited by a moderator:
Heaven doesn't rely on the CPU hardly at all...at least with a single card. With dual cards, more CPU speed helps in most any bench as it needs to drive them. What I am getting at is heaven is a terrible benchmark to compare what we are talking about.

Again, Al, all I said it that it was a glass ceiling. You didn't believe me, I supported my assertion with a link. Whether its worth it or not is up to the person and was not a consideration. But its real as I have shown. That's all I was saying. Your CPU is as fast clock for clock as the 8350 so that point is not relevant. It just has a higher stock clockspeed. My point was, simply, that there is performance left on the table with multi-gpu paired with AMD CPUs versus Intel. As far as the price difference... Let's do some math...

AMD 9370 - $220
Proper board to support a 220W CPU and overclocking it without throttling - $160+
Total - $380

4790K - $330
Any board over $100 will do, but for the sake of being fair - $160
Total $490

$490 - $380 = $110.

So the difference is $110, not $500.

RE: PCIe2 vs 3. I know the difference. I said it. 1%. I was just saying I was aware that is a part of the differences from the link I posted so you could maybe extrapolate the actual difference PCIe2 v 3 notwithstanding. If you step back and look at the big picture, this is what I see. I see you spending a lot of time trying to get this hack to work (how much is your time worth per hour?), I see you have a glass ceiling for a multi gpu setup. I see two woefully mismatched cards leaving more performance on the table. Just make sure its worth your effort is really the bottom line.

Also, you can EDIT your posts instead of double posting. ;)

Perhaps digressing wasn't blatant enough... so I will just say it. I know I am a bit OT, so if you want to continue the discussion, I'm happy to do so via PM. again, sorry for the jack... just trying to suggest other things that may take less time and effort to accomplish your goals.

Last edited:

alhaynes86

anyways... ive owned this stuff for awhile it would cost me about $500 to get a intel cpu and board.. and i see no reason in that when i could just get another 780 for the same price but if im upgrading ill be going for ddr4 too and this would become a very expensive upgrade quickly and still not have a 2nd 780 so im not doing that period..... but if you want to help with the goals at least for shits and giggles... at least confirm or deny this... the dev numbers in the hardware id matter when pairing these gpu's with ths program... (meaning they should match the first 3 numbers.)

Last edited:

pyr0ball

I'm running into an issue that my quick searching of this thread and forum isn't helping me debug. I'm trying to SLI and EVGA 970 and Gigabyte 970.

System Specs:
Windows 8 Pro (not 8.1) x64
ASRock z77 Extreme6/TB4
32GB DDR3
EVGA GTX 970 ACX 2.0 04G-P4-2974-B6
Gigabyte GV-N970IXOC-4GD
Driver 347.52

Tried using the 1.1 patcher first and got this:
upload_2015-3-2_20-2-15.png

So I assumed I just needed to try the updated one. But on 1.3, I'm getting this:
upload_2015-3-2_20-3-19.png

I tried a couple of compatibility modes but to no avail.

I cant seem to find a viable download for 1.2 to test that out

UPDATE /// I was able to track down a reupload link for 1.2 and got it working! SLI has been set and I'm a happy camper. I do want to help fix the problem with 1.3 however, so if you need me to test anything else let me know.

Here's an eventlog dump of the crash:
Faulting application name: DifferentSLIAuto.exe, version: 1.3.0.0, time stamp: 0x54e7f54f
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.2.9200.16864, time stamp: 0x531d2be6
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x00010f22
Faulting process id: 0x2758
Faulting application start time: 0x01d05566ee2a0ebd
Faulting application path: G:\Media1\Downloads\Drivers\nVidia Drivers\DifferentSLIAuto1.3\DifferentSLIAuto.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: 2ca2f01c-c15a-11e4-bf13-bc5ff497492c
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Last edited:

Thorgs

Different SLI 1.3 works fine with Ndivia's Hotfix 347.71 :p

Ken Nguyen

Hi,

I am new to this forum. I have a question regarding the Geforce Gtx 780m working with my Eurocom Panther 3.0 laptop (similar to the Clevo X7200 I believe). My old cards, the Radeon HD 6990M's, were fried when I tried to reflow them for the 4rth time (long story), so I need to get the replacement cards. I was told by the seller that the gtx 780m could be made to work with my laptop with certain modified bios/driver but he isnt 100% sure. He also offer the 680m's, which he is certain that they will work with my laptop, but they are even more expensive than the 780m's. So he suggested me to do some more researches before deciding which cards to get.

Anyway, if it is possible, can someone here help me get the right tools/instructions to make the gtx 780m to work with my Eurocom panther 3.0 please? and if it is not possible will the 680m's work for me without any modification? Thanks for helping!

Mrluap

Hey Guys,

I recently used this program and put together my GTX 670 2gb and 680 4gb. The problem is when I try to enable SLI by pressing "maximize 3d performance," NVIDIA control panel crashes and my cards are no longer recognized by windows until I re-install the drivers. Do you guys have any ideas?

Thanks

f00d4tehg0dz

Any word on anyone using 347.88? If you are running it. Which differentSli are you using 1.2 or 1.3?

RakotGOD

Hey Guys,

I recently used this program and put together my GTX 670 2gb and 680 4gb. The problem is when I try to enable SLI by pressing "maximize 3d performance," NVIDIA control panel crashes and my cards are no longer recognized by windows until I re-install the drivers. Do you guys have any ideas?

Thanks

I have the same problem with my GTX580 and GTX570. Win 8.1 x64, tried both 1.2 and 1.3 differentSli(((
It is so sad for me(((
Mey be someone can help me?)

Meta2

DifferentSLIAuto 1.3 + 347.88 + 2*GTX560Ti + Windows 7 x64 works for me

But i need to modify install.cmd. I need to remove 9-10 lines. Only after that modified driver has been installed

Vesuveus

Hey all, new to differentsli (but familiar with hypersli).

My brother in law has a motherboard that supports sli and he has 3 gtx 260's. He has all three installed and is using bridges, but the prombem comes in with the third gtx 260. because the last pcie slot is running at 4x, it will not add it to the sli configuration. The only other reason I can think of is the last gtx 260 is a core 216 edition.

My question is this: will differentsli make it possible for him to run at 4x on the last card? I know HyperSLI will (I ran 2 gtx 470's on an amd board it 16x/4x with it), but it is outdated. If it doesnt I will probably tell him to use hypersli and deal with the older drivers. Anyway, any help would be awesome!

his system specs
i5 750
500gb hdd
8gb crucial ballistix
(I dont know exact motherboard model, but i know its a lga 1156 asus)

Thanks!

TheNoblePoptart

Hey everybody this is my first attempt at SLI let alone with two different cards.

I'm trying to pair up a 780ti and a 970 FTW OC, I realize there will be some performance loss from the ti but I am really hoping these will pair together nicely rather than having to go buy another 970. I am just hoping someone here will tell me if that will even work.

Thanks in advance for any advice.