• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HyperSLI (Enabling SLI on non-sli motherboards)

System Name Cooler Master Elite (case name)
Processor Amd 1090T X6 3.2Ghz
Motherboard Asus m4a89gtd pro/usb3
Cooling oversize fans
Memory 16 gigs ddr3 2000Mhz
Video Card(s) 2 - nvidia gtx 560's sli 2 gigs each video memory
Storage 6 - terabytes sata
Display(s) samsung syncmaster 2330 hd monitor
Case coolermaster elite
Audio Device(s) realtek on-board
Power Supply coolermaster 1000 watts
Software windows 7 64- bit enterprise
Benchmark Scores not available at this time.
To scapho... Your welcome!

alhaynes86

hey new here (but not new to builds or mods) ive heard of this program or something similar before but im just now finding it and hopefully ill be falling in love with the performance gains... but right now im running into probs with something similar as the last post.. with the nvidia control panel not working.... soo ill give you the run down of my problem.. maybe its something simple im not sure...
Specs a amd 9370, asus board x990 sli cert, gpu 660, and 780... i installed the newest drivers (347.52) and i have DifferentSLIAuto1.3 i followed the readme inside the zip folder and followed it to the T (with reboots and test mode is enabled no uac no antivirus ect ect...) so i installed the drivers this installed fine did a clean install... i copied the correct dll file and pasted it in the correct folder the patcher is in... i ran the patcher and patched it.. it said it was successful.. i closed this.. i ran the install.cmd as administrator... that ran its course and everything turned green and i rebooted again.. BUT while it was closing the folders and notepad and just as it shutoff. (all the programs about the patcher was already good and closed) a error popped up and it restarts just as fast as it came so i didnt quite see it.... i looked in event viewer the latest errors i see is nvidia errors with the programs control panel im guessing.. i right clicked and still no control panel option.. i opened it manually from the contrl panel to no avail... nothing happens not even a warning... (but nvidia experience isnt working) msi after burnder isn't reading the cards either... nor is dxdiag... yet in device manager under display adapters it does show.. the 660 gtx and the 780 gtx.. BUT in the properties under general and device status... it reads.. Windows cannot verify the digital signature for the drivers required for this device. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be malicious software from an unknown source. (Code 52) so im thinking i need to force the drivers or this is happening cause of the testing mode??? im not sure... not really familiar with this type of things with drivers... i feel like since the patch and install went so smooth this is just something im looking over.. id love it if someone could tell me whats going on.. as of now ill be looking up how to allow drivers to run even if not digitally signed. (i must be doing something not quite right... has to be simple.)

Cooling oversize fans
Case coolermaster elite
This is really strange, I've done all the same things, I have 2 560's in sli mode and I've had no problems whatsoever, the only real difference between us is I'm running 2 identical video boards and the last 2
posters are not, try finding the same model video boards and try that, (just to test if nothing else, maybe borrow a bd from a friend), hypersli required virtualization to be turned on in the bios, not sure if differentsli requires that also, I have that on in my bios. This is also known as hyper-v on
some motherboards.

Last edited:

alhaynes86

i did see that the dev code is not matching i read at the beginning of this post that they needed to match... but ive not seen it mentioned anywhere else and has the updates patched this??? is this my problem?
also id like to give an update on whats going on.. i did this with 1.2 fresh driver installs, reboots the whole 9 yards this time there was no error message that popped up with restarting.. super clean! but never the less the exact same problems have happened.. ive even went through the deleting of the certificates process and regedit and restarting to no avail... am i tapped out??? looks like ill have to have me a nice dedicated physx card... :/ actually i have an idea..... hope this works ill post if i do and what i done...

alhaynes86

IF YOUR DRIVERS ARE NOT LOADING READ THIS.

okay i figured out the driver problem..... it was simple enough... for anyone else having this problem with fixing the driver signature problem all you have to do is while you are starting up... hit f8 (windows 7) so that you come to the screen where you can select from safemode and the other options... near the bottom there will be an option for disable driver signature enforcement. or something like that.... this will cause the drivers to load and be recognized and you nvidia control panel will open and you can then select the option to enable your sli.... B U T!!!!! <<<<<<<<<< i still need help here something has gone horribly wrong... it seems i cant use it.. (i might add that one card is 2gb and the other is 3gb.)
now i got the pop up from nvidia experience say "this system is sli capable." so i open the control panel everything is going fine.. im able to select it.. mind you i do leave (physx autoselect alone) and i enable the sli.. it goes through the paces of starting up and im getting excited!!! and boom screen goes black and pops back on and the control panel is not black unresponsive.. and EveRYthing is garbled and totally pixelated.. well i think to myself i guess somehow its reverted to a extremely low resolution the nvidia control panel closes.. in its death.. i right click to go back and again the option is gone... like the driver has stopped working again.. and no longer understands the cards.. i try to open it manually and this time it says i have no display plugged into a nvidia gpu basically..... so its working its just some kinda bug going on i dont understand.. but i did get the computer to recognize the gpu's and that it did want to sli a 780 and a 660 restarting the computer did not help at all it would not even give me a proper display after waiting awhile... even pretty freaky errors... so im back to square one..

Cooling oversize fans
Case coolermaster elite
I've never had any of these problems, nor have I ever had to disable driver enforcement, if you see in small white text on the lower right-hand corner of your desktop "test mode windows 7 build 7601" then the altered video driver
should load ok. do you have virtualization turned on in your bios? I'm really stumped at the moment on this one...

I've never had to run this utility, but try here:

http://www.ngohq.com/?page=dseo

You could also try turning off your computer, remove the sli bridge and 1 video board, and
re-run the entire installation procedure and see if that small white text shows up in the lower right-hand corner, once it does, turn off your pc again, re-install the 2nd video board and
re-install the sli bridge and restart...

Last edited:

alhaynes86

from what i understand about test mode... vs my f8 method... this just ignores unsigned drivers and im telling them to load them anyways.... but even tho it may still load them it still knows they are bad?? and has conflicting issues??? i will give this another try on the 1.3 side of things... ill study the testmode a little more too. but im almost 100% sure what i did and what that does is basically the same thing. but let me research.. the only thing that i dont understand.. is why it did what it did... it accepted everything.. then when it came time to display it properly.. it did Not like it.. it was like it did not like communicating with each other and said oh hell no... haha.. ill see what ill see what i can d... btw i really appreciate your help!!! it would be nice to see this work.... do you know if the the non matching dev has anything to do with this???

Cooling oversize fans
Case coolermaster elite
As I understand things, the whole point of differentsli is to allow different video boards to be able to run in sli mode, that shouldn't be a problem.
Here's how I did stuff on my end:

1. Install new drivers. <---- Be sure to do this first!, you could wind up patching a old sys file otherwise!
2. Copy nvlddmkm.sys to the same folder I have differentsli installed.
3. run the differentsliauto executable
4. Click "patch"
5. If it says "successful" then exit the executable and run "install.cmd".
6. If that went ok, restart the computer
7. Go to nvidia control panel and open the "sli/phyx" window.
8. Click on "maximize performance", reboot once more to finalize everything.
9. Your good to go.

Make sure your sli bridge is seated properly and it's the right bridge for your video boards (it should be, sli is standard for most nvidia boards).

You could also try installing a older driver just to see what happens there, maybe swap the 2 video boards around in the pci slots....

I'm not sure how this could happen but make sure you aren't patching a old/wrong version
of nvlddmkm.sys, patch *only* the sys file that's in "c:\windows\system32\drivers". If your
somehow mixing up versions of this file, that could explain your troubles.

Last edited:

alhaynes86

well i did just what you said with the program and i got the same results... and yes im dropping it right into the same folder the patch is at... and then it even makes the backup file there (.bak) i restart in the way that it should be done everything is working and i go to nvidia control panel select the right performance deal click apply and boom total garbage pixelation just like before... and the control panel crashes and will not start back up like it reverted itself back to (not in testmode) the other odd thing is i tried to take a screen shot with the "snipping tool" while it looked like this so you could see what im talking about.. i then i restarted the pc reverted it back to not load the drivers (just stock so i could see and move to redo drivers again)
and i go to look at this picture and its perfectly clear... haha.. so im going to look up what could cause pixelation in sli see where that leads me.

Cooling oversize fans
Case coolermaster elite
Good luck on that, Try swapping your video cable to your other video board just to see, it could be that 1 of your video boards is bad, you could pull 1 board out reboot and see if it works, if it
does, turn off your pc, take that bd out, put in the other one and reboot and see if that one is
working, if I think of anything else, I'll post here...

alhaynes86

right on... and sli pixelation really lead me no where im going to check the seating on the bridge like you said that would make since why i got clear picture in the snipping tool but shit the way i view it and maybe even why the control panel crashes... im still thinking this has something to do with the hardware id number where the frist 3 dev numbers dont match up??? if so this will never work. so thats a question you might be able to answer me.. is this designed to work in conjunction with ANY paired nvidia cards? or just a select few?

Cooling oversize fans
Case coolermaster elite
I'm not actually sure about the limits on that, in general, I would keep the different video boards within a couple of generations of each other, in my opinion, you should be able to combine the following models:

400 series with 500, 600, 700, maybe put the more powerful bd in the first pci slot...
I wouldn't go lower then 400, or higher then 700, (though a 900 series may work fine, I just don't know for sure).

Note that the more powerful bd will probably have to "downclock" to the weaker boards' clock
speed, this is why I would keep the different boards generation gap to a minimum.

Last edited:
Cooling oversize fans
Case coolermaster elite
I'm running 2 identical 560's, and yes the dev codes match. (which would be expected for 2 identical video boards). You could post a message to ember and ask him to be sure about
the different dev codes, and actually I think that old post was about hypersli, not differentsli.

Jarrett

does anyone know what geforce drivers are compatible with this? the only way I have gotten this to work is install the older geforce drivers... any help would be appreciated...

Cooling oversize fans
Case coolermaster elite
I'm running 347.52 (latest drivers), everything is working fine on my end. What problems are you having? Your not trying to run hypersli are you, that program is way out of date and hasen't been maintained at all lately, you need to use differentsli now.
Go here for the latest version:

https://github.com/EmberVulpix/DifferentSLIAuto/releases

Jarrett

I'm running 347.52 (latest drivers), everything is working fine on my end. What problems are you having? Your not trying to run hypersli are you, that program is way out of date and hasen't been maintained at all lately, you need to use differentsli now.
Go here for the latest version:

https://github.com/EmberVulpix/DifferentSLIAuto/releases

I followed directions to a T... this what happened...

ideas??

Code:
[I] : Welcome to DifferentSLI Patcher v1.3 by Ember 2k15!
[I] : Press "Patch!" to patch your driver.
[E] : Could not find patch #1. Please inform Ember @ techPowerUp! forums.
[E] : Could not find patch #3. Please inform Ember @ techPowerUp! forums.
[I] : Could not find patch #4, falling back to permutation #1
[I] : Could not find patch #4, falling back to permutation #2
[I] : Could not find patch #4, falling back to permutation #3
[I] : Could not find patch #4, falling back to permutation #4
[E] : Could not find patch #4 at all. Please inform Ember @ techPowerUp! forums.
[C] : Patching was aborted because all of the patch locations could not be found.

root "Trusted Root Certification Authorities"
================ Certificate 2 ================
Issuer: CN=DifferentSLIAuto
NotBefore: 3/3/2015 7:45 PM
NotAfter: 12/31/2039 6:59 PM
Subject: CN=DifferentSLIAuto
Signature matches Public Key
Root Certificate: Subject matches Issuer
No key provider information
Cannot find the certificate and private key for decryption.
Encryption test passed
CertUtil: -store command completed successfully.
The following certificate was selected:
Issued to: DifferentSLIAuto
Issued by: DifferentSLIAuto
Expires: Sat Dec 31 18:59:59 2039
Done Adding Additional Store
SignTool Error: The signer's certificate is not valid for signing.
SignTool Error: An error occurred while attempting to sign: nvlddmkm.sys
Number of files successfully Signed: 0
Number of warnings: 0
Number of errors: 1
SUCCESS: The file (or folder): "C:\Windows\System32\drivers\nvlddmkm.sys" now ow
ned by the administrators group.
processed file: C:\Windows\System32\drivers\nvlddmkm.sys
Successfully processed 1 files; Failed processing 0 files
The operation completed successfully.
1 file(s) copied.
Reboot now for changes to take effect

Cooling oversize fans
Case coolermaster elite
The reason it didn't work (this is based on your post) is because the patcher failed to actually patch the driver file, which is strange because it patched the driver on my end.

Make sure your trying to patch the current drivers (347.52)
Copy nvlddmkm.sys from c:\windows\system32\drivers to wherever you installed differentsli.
Run the main exe, it should say "success!"
Run the install.cmd file, then reboot.
If you copied the wrong version of that file, or didn't copy it to that location, that would cause the patching to fail.

If you would not prefer to continue with that, here is a download link to my patched driver:

http://www.gamefront.com/files/24845574/nvlddmkm.r

Unrar this to your differentsli folder and run the install.cmd, and reboot.
This sys file is for 347.52, make sure you don't have a different nvidia driver installed first...

Last edited:

Jarrett

The reason it didn't work (this is based on your post) is because the patcher failed to actually patch the driver file, which is strange because it patched the driver on my end.

Make sure your trying to patch the current drivers (347.52)
Copy nvlddmkm.sys from c:\windows\system32\drivers to wherever you installed differentsli.
Run the main exe, it should say "success!"
Run the install.cmd file, then reboot.
If you copied the wrong version of that file, or didn't copy it to that location, that would cause the patching to fail.

If you would not prefer to continue with that, here is a download link to my patched driver:

http://www.gamefront.com/files/24845574/nvlddmkm.r

Unrar this to your differentsli folder and run the install.cmd, and reboot.
This sys file is for 347.52, make sure you don't have a different nvidia driver installed first...
could it be because im using win8? I copied your file into directory where I extracted the program. same thing happens... just to reiterate :). so I copied that file mvlddmkm.sys from the rar that you provided into the directory.. from here https://github.com/EmberVulpix/DifferentSLIAuto/releases[/QUOTE that zip file. created a directory for these files. ok check this out, I reinstalled the latest drivers for my card. copied that sys file from the system32\drivers directory this is first thing that came up when I ran the .exe

Code:
[S] : Patching was successful!

does this mean it works??

Last edited:
Cooling oversize fans
Case coolermaster elite
Don't run the patcher exe again on my file, it's already been patched on my end, just run the "install.cmd" file, I'm not sure, but I don't see why this wouldn't run under windows 8, try turning off
your antivirus program while your running differentsli, I'm running avg and had to pause it for a few minutes, it kept stopping checksum.exe which is part of the installation process
ran from the install.cmd.

Jarrett

Don't run the patcher exe again on my file, it's already been patched on my end, just run the "install.cmd" file, I'm not sure, but I don't see why this wouldn't run under windows 8, try turning off
your antivirus program while your running differentsli, I'm running avg and had to pause it for a few minutes, it kept stopping checksum.exe which is part of the installation process
ran from the install.cmd.

K will mess around with it, thx for the help you been giving me man... :)..

Cooling oversize fans
Case coolermaster elite
No problem...

Cooling oversize fans
Case coolermaster elite
could it be because im using win8? I copied your file into directory where I extracted the program. same thing happens... just to reiterate :). so I copied that file mvlddmkm.sys from the rar that you provided into the directory.. from here https://github.com/EmberVulpix/DifferentSLIAuto/releases[/QUOTE that zip file. created a directory for these files. ok check this out, I reinstalled the latest drivers for my card. copied that sys file from the system32\drivers directory this is first thing that came up when I ran the .exe

Code:
[S] : Patching was successful!

does this mean it works??
Generally, if you see "patching successful!" it worked, but you ran that program on my already patched file, so you might do well to re-download it and just run the install.cmd (with your antivirus off).