• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Light is captured as a wave AND a particle at the same time in first ever photograph

CAPSLOCKSTUCK

Spaced Out Lunar Tick
System Name Party On
Processor Xeon w 3520
Motherboard DFI Lanparty
Cooling Big tower thing
Memory 6 gb Ballistix Tracer
Video Card(s) HD 7970
Case a plank of wood
Audio Device(s) seperate amp and 6 big speakers
Power Supply Corsair
Mouse cheap
Keyboard under going restoration
  • Swiss researchers have used lasers and nanowires to capture the images
  • Scientists have been attempting to image light in both states for decades
  • Albert Einstein was first to describe light as being both a wave and particle
  • The experiment could lead to new types of super fast 'quantum computers'

Albert Einstein was the first person to describe this apparent dual state of light in 1905 in an attempt to explain some of the apparently contradictory behaviour it displays.

Yet when scientists attempt to observe these states, it has only ever been able to see light behave as photon particle or as an electromagnetic wave.

The work shows that Einstein was right when he proposed that electromagnetic radiation could behave as both a wave and a particle at the same time.

The technique for capturing the image could be used to help open up new areas of superfast computers that exploit the quantum states of materials.

He said: 'This experiment demonstrates that, for the first time ever, we can film quantum mechanics - and its paradoxical nature - directly.

'Being able to image and control quantum phenomena at the nanometer scale like this opens up a new route towards quantum computing.'

The wave-like behaviour of light can be seen clearly when sunlight is refracted through a prism and splits into the different colours according to the wavelengths of the light.

However, it can also be seen behaving like a particle - like photons hurled out as radiation by materials like uranium or when gas high in the atmosphere is battered by the solar wind to produce the aurora over the poles.

In a paper published in the journal Nature Communications, the research team conducted an experiment and then used electrons to image the light.

By firing a pulse of laser light at a tiny metal wire suspended on graphene, this added energy to the particle wire and caused them to vibrate.

Light then traveled along the wire in two possible directions. When the waves travelling in opposite directions meet each other they form a new 'standing wave' of light.

By then firing a stream of electrons close to the nanowire, they were able to image this wave in an ultrafast microscope due to the way the electrons sped up or slowed down.

Dr Carbone said that the resulting image produces a fingerprint of the wave-nature of light while also simultaneously demonstrating that it is a particle too.

The electrons pass close to the standing wave of light, they hit the photons it contains, again affecting the resulting image.

System Name Desktop / Laptop
Processor AMD Ryzen R7 5600x / Intel i5-4200U
Motherboard ASUS TUF B550-Plus / Lenovo MB
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / Stock
Memory Corsair Vengeance 2x16GB DDR 3800 / 8GB DDR3-1600MHz
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 6900XT / Intel HD 4400
Storage 2.5TB SSDs + 4TB HDD / Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB
Display(s) 34" LG Ultrawide / 12.5 " 1080p IPS Touchscreen
Case Fractal Design R6 / Lenovo X240
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Onboard
Power Supply Enermax REVOLUTION87+ 1000W / Lenovo 40W
Mouse Razer Basilisk X
Keyboard Dell Business Multimedia Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
Benchmark Scores Chicken Invaders 5 @125+ FPS
Sometimes I wish I would have gone and studied physics and not engineering but then i realize i would like to have a job and get paid some day :D

CAPSLOCKSTUCK

Spaced Out Lunar Tick
System Name Party On
Processor Xeon w 3520
Motherboard DFI Lanparty
Cooling Big tower thing
Memory 6 gb Ballistix Tracer
Video Card(s) HD 7970
Case a plank of wood
Audio Device(s) seperate amp and 6 big speakers
Power Supply Corsair
Mouse cheap
Keyboard under going restoration
Last edited:

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
I think it would be very difficult to turn this into a processor...very, very difficult. Dare I say impossible?