• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

DVI audio to speakers - not working.

Rob Allen

A few months ago the audio on my tv stopped working. I have a computer connected to the tv which I use for TV-related things (Netflix, Youtube, etc.). When the audio died I decided to just hook up a pair of speakers I had lying around since that was cheaper than paying ~$200 to fix the tv. However, the computer is connected to the tv via a DVI to HDMI cable. So I picked up a DVI with 3.5mm audio splitter (this is what the speakers need). This is what I got: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...gclid=CLKvmpfbqcQCFYOSfgodbCMAWQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

I plugged the speakers into the 3.5mm audio cable but the computer is still trying to send the audio to the tv. I have tested the speakers and they work just fine with other equipment. So I have to conclude that the problem is that the cable isn't actually sending anything on the 3.5mm line, even though it seems like that's what it should do. Anyone know why? Did I get the wrong cable or is there something I need to set in the system?

System Name Juliette // HTPC
Processor Intel i7 9700K // AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard ASUS Prime Z390X-A // ASRock B550 ITX-AC
Cooling Noctua NH-U12 Black // Stock
Memory Corsair DDR4 3600 32gb //G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX4070 OC// GTX 1650
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1Tb, Intel 665p Series M.2 2280 1TB // Samsung 1Tb SSD
Display(s) ASUS VP348QGL 34" Quad HD 3440 x 1440 // 55" LG 4K SK8000 Series
Case Seasonic SYNCRO Q7// Silverstone Granada GD05
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 // HDMI to Samsung HW-R650 sound bar
Power Supply Seasonic SYNCRO 750 W // CORSAIR Vengeance 650M
Mouse Cooler Master MM710 53G
Keyboard Logitech 920-009300 G512 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro // Windows 10 Pro
So your trying to use the speakers on your PC?

Last edited:

Ebo

System Name the little fart
Processor AMD Ryzen 2600X
Motherboard MSI x470 gaming plus
Cooling Noctua NH-C14S
Memory 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaw 2400Mhz DDR 4
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX Vega 56 Pulse
Storage 1 Crucial MX100 512GB SSD,1 Crucial MX500 2TB SSD, 1 1,5TB WD Black Caviar, 1 4TB WD RED HD
Display(s) IIyama XUB2792QSU IPS 2560x1440
Case White Lian-Li PC-011 Dynamic
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar SE pci-e card
Power Supply Thermaltake DPS G 1050 watt Digital PSU
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard Corsair K70
Software windows 10 64 pro bit
As far as I remember, DVI dosent send audio, thats only HDMI

Processor Intel Xeon E3 1230 v2 @ 3.7Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte B75M-D3H
Cooling Zalman CNPS 5X, Enermax 120mm intake & 92mm exhaust
Memory GeIL EVO Veloce Series 8GB (2x 4GB) DDR3-1600
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX970 ACX 2.0
Storage 1TB Seagate Hybrid HDD
Display(s) 27" Dell UltraSharp U2713H
Case Rosewill FBM-02
Audio Device(s) Shiit Modi DAC for audio, Asus Zonar DG for mic
Power Supply XION AXP-700K14XE 700W, 80+ Bronze
Software Windows Embedded 8.1 Industry Pro
Are you sure the playback device is set to whatever you're connecting that 3.5mm jack to?

Rob Allen

In the windows sound dialog, it shows the TV as the playback device via the video card, the TV is connected to the video card via the DVI/3.5mm splitter cable. I assumed that this cable would send the audio through the 3.5mm split, which is connected to the speakers. Unfortunately the PC itself does not have a sound card, though if I can't make this work I may just buy a cheap sound card. I was hoping to avoid doing that though. There is no option in the windows sound dialog to send the audio to the speakers.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
DVI doesn't carry audio. It won't work.

Rob Allen

DVI doesn't carry audio. It won't work.

Actually it does. My old DVI cable did, and it does on the TV PC in another room in my house as well. If it didn't, this cable wouldn't even exist since it is supposedly specifically designed to carry audio from a dvi port through the splitter.

Also, in case it helps the video card I am using is a GTX 460, which uses dual-link ports, according to Nvidia's product specifications, so it's not a compatibility issue.

Last edited:

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
Actually it does. My old DVI cable did, and it does on the TV PC in another room in my house as well. If it didn't, this cable wouldn't even exist since it is supposedly specifically designed to carry audio from a dvi port through the splitter.

Also, in case it helps the video card I am using is a GTX 460, which uses dual-link ports, according to Nvidia's product specifications, so it's not a compatibility issue.
That cable you linked to in the first post is DVI plus a separate audio cable in the same jacket, probably with different shielding to reduce EMI. That's not the same as digital audio over DVI which isn't a thing. Some older video cards supported HDMI audio over HDMI by using a special kind of DVI to HDMI adapter. I have a Radeon 2600 XT that works this way but, it doesn't mean audio is sent over DVI. If you're connecting both ends with the 3.5mm headphone jack, then it really has nothing to do with DVI and will be using the audio card, not the GPU, as an audio device.

The simple fact remains that audio over DVI is not a thing in the DVI spec. Only weird revisions of the DVI spec support things like that and support for those kinds. More often than not, you don't find devices that deviate from your typical DVI port, so I suspect you're confusing two different things.

So back to that cable: Both ends of the 3.5mm need to be plugged in. DVI doesn't carry audio.

Memory Corsair DDR4 3600 32gb //G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1Tb, Intel 665p Series M.2 2280 1TB // Samsung 1Tb SSD
DVI does has audio. Unfortunately many adapters do not work. Do not use adapters. You're spending more $ and time then it would have taken to do it right. Get a sound card. That motherboard does not have sound? It been a long time sense Ive seen a MB with no sound

System Name Gen2
Processor Ryzen R9 5950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair Viii Hero Wifi
Cooling Lian Li 360 Galahad
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 64gb @ 3600 Mhz CL14-13-13-24 1T @ 1.45V
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 6900 XT Nitro+
Storage Seagate 520 1TB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB + lots of HDD's
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G7
Case Lian Li PC-O11D XL White
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex SE Platinum 1000W
Mouse Xenics Titan GX Air Wireless
Keyboard Kemove Snowfox 61
Software Main: Gentoo+Arch + Windows 11
Benchmark Scores Have tried but can't beat the leaders :)
DVI carries audio signal

"A DVI-D source can output HDMI signals including audio (e.g. ATI 3000-series and NVIDIA GTX 200-series).[9] Some multimedia displays use a DVI to HDMI adapter to input the HDMI signal with audio. Exact capabilities vary by video card specifications."

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface

DVI and HDMI compatibility
HDMI is a newer digital audio/video interface developed and promoted by the consumer electronics industry. DVI and HDMI have the same electrical specifications for their TMDS and VESA/DDC links. However HDMI and DVI differ in several key ways.

• HDMI lacks VGA compatibility and does not include analog signals.
  • DVI is limited to the RGB color model while HDMI also supports YCbCr 4:4:4 and YCbCr 4:2:2 color spaces which are generally not used for computer graphics.
  • In addition to digital video, HDMI supports the transport of packets used for digital audio.
  • HDMI sources differentiate between legacy DVI displays and HDMI-capable displays by reading the display's EDID block.
To promote interoperability between DVI-D and HDMI devices, HDMI source components and displays support DVI-D signalling. For example, an HDMI display can be driven by a DVI-D source because HDMI and DVI-D both define an overlapping minimum set of supported resolutions and frame buffer formats.

A DVI-D source can output HDMI signals including audio (e.g. ATI 3000-series and NVIDIA GTX 200-series).[9] Some multimedia displays use a DVI to HDMI adapter to input the HDMI signal with audio. Exact capabilities vary by video card specifications.

In the reverse scenario, a DVI display that lacks optional support for HDCP might be unable to display protected content even though it is otherwise compatible with the HDMI source. Features specific to HDMI such as remote control, audio transport, xvYCC and deep color are not usable in devices that support only DVI signals. HDCP compatibility between source and destination devices is subject to manufacturer specifications for each device.

to OP: you need to make sure you connect it to DVI-D

System Name Illidan
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Scythe Mugen 4
Memory G.Skill Trident Z 32GB DDR4 3000MHz 14CL
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT
Storage Crucial P1 1TB + Sandisk Ultra II 960GB + Samsung EVO Plus 970 2TB + F3 1TB + Toshiba X300 4TB
Display(s) Iiyama G-MASTER G4380UHSU-B1
Case Corsair 750D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Sony WH1000-XM4
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850
Mouse Logitech G604
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K70 (Cherry MX Red)
Software Windows 11 Pro
Audio works on DVI because you can send a HDMI signal over it (which carries an audio signal). However the cable OP linked will not work because the audio jack does not use this signal, it uses the input jack. He should try to use the speakers directly on the tv.

O.k., but his TV speakers don't work. Do you mean like plug the speakers into the TV? He can't have missed anything that obvious...right?

EDIT: I just wanted to add my $.02 on the DVI audio theory. My 280X has HDMI/audio output through the DVI port. I found that out when I connected a HDMI(F) to DVI(M) adapter to it, ran HDMI cable to my TV/monitor, and low and behold...let there be light AND sound!

This is the one I used to conjure up the miraculous.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 5900X
Motherboard ASUS Prime X470 Pro
Cooling Arctic liquid freezer II 240
Memory 2 x 16 Gb Gskill Trident Z 3600 Mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3060 Ti OC
Storage Samsung 960 EVO 500 Gb / 860 EVO 1 Tb
Display(s) Dell S2719DGF
Case Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G703
Keyboard Logitech G513
Software Win 11
To answer OP's question you do need to buy a sound card and hook the computer end of the DVI cable 3.5mm jack to it to make this setup work.

Basicly the cable is just a DVI-D with a separate 3.5mm audio cable in the same sleeve.

Rob Allen

DVI does has audio. Unfortunately many adapters do not work. Do not use adapters. You're spending more $ and time then it would have taken to do it right. Get a sound card. That motherboard does not have sound? It been a long time sense Ive seen a MB with no sound

It's a repurposed custom-built gaming pc. The motherboard does not have onboard audio. It did have an audio card in it, but that was removed and put into my main system. I figured the old gaming comp would make a decent TV comp, it was better than throwing it out. It worked just fine until the TV speakers died. I'm a real stingy bastard, I won't spend money if I don't think I have to - so knowing that the GTX 460 in the comp supported audio over DVI, I couldn't justify buying an audio card when the video card did the same job. But I guess now it's not that simple.

Audio works on DVI because you can send a HDMI signal over it (which carries an audio signal). However the cable OP linked will not work because the audio jack does not use this signal, it uses the input jack. He should try to use the speakers directly on the tv.

I did try plugging the speakers into the tv but this did not work either. I suspect it's not the tv's speakers that are the problem but rather the audio controller on the tv's motherboard. Replacing that would cost over $200, but I'm not an expert when it comes to tv tech. I probably will have to get it fixed at some point, but I'm putting that off until I have to. It's sure to be more expensive than an audio card.

To answer OP's question you do need to buy a sound card and hook the computer end of the DVI cable 3.5mm jack to it to make this setup work.

Basicly the cable is just a DVI-D with a separate 3.5mm audio cable in the same sleeve.

It seems that way. Well, thanks for clarifying it. I won't even need this cable when I get the audio card. I can just plug the speakers directly into the pc at that point. I guess the lesson here is that sometimes when you try to save money, you end up spending more than you would have otherwise. If I had just bought a cheap audio card to begin with, I could have saved myself $25.

System Name My baby
Processor Athlon II X4 620 @ 3.5GHz, 1.45v, NB @ 2700Mhz, HT @ 2700Mhz - 24hr prime95 stable
Motherboard Asus M4A785TD-V EVO
Cooling Sonic Tower Rev 2 with 120mm Akasa attached, Akasa @ Front, Xilence Red Wing 120mm @ Rear
Memory 8 GB G.Skills 1600Mhz
Video Card(s) ATI ASUS Crossfire 5850
Storage Crucial MX100 SATA 2.5 SSD
Display(s) Lenovo ThinkVision 27" (LEN P27h-10)
Case Antec VSK 2000 Black Tower Case
Audio Device(s) Onkyo TX-SR309 Receiver, 2x Kef Cresta 1, 1x Kef Center 20c
Power Supply OCZ StealthXstream II 600w, 4x12v/18A, 80% efficiency.
Software Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
It's a repurposed custom-built gaming pc. The motherboard does not have onboard audio. It did have an audio card in it, but that was removed and put into my main system. I figured the old gaming comp would make a decent TV comp, it was better than throwing it out. It worked just fine until the TV speakers died. I'm a real stingy bastard, I won't spend money if I don't think I have to - so knowing that the GTX 460 in the comp supported audio over DVI, I couldn't justify buying an audio card when the video card did the same job. But I guess now it's not that simple.

I did try plugging the speakers into the tv but this did not work either. I suspect it's not the tv's speakers that are the problem but rather the audio controller on the tv's motherboard. Replacing that would cost over $200, but I'm not an expert when it comes to tv tech. I probably will have to get it fixed at some point, but I'm putting that off until I have to. It's sure to be more expensive than an audio card.

It seems that way. Well, thanks for clarifying it. I won't even need this cable when I get the audio card. I can just plug the speakers directly into the pc at that point. I guess the lesson here is that sometimes when you try to save money, you end up spending more than you would have otherwise. If I had just bought a cheap audio card to begin with, I could have saved myself $25.

I have not encounter a motherboard that doesn't have on-board audio. What model is the motherboard?

Forget the entire DVI thing. As others have pointed out DVI isn't designed to carry audio. There has been some crazy work around in the past, namely by NVidia where they use a special preparatory cable. These cables are not really even DVI, they were a work around, and getting it to work has always been hit or miss.

You said your TV has HDMI, I swear the GTX 460 has HDMI-out too. You should be able to get audio working via HDMI.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
that particular cable in the OP is basically DVI and a 3.5mm cable taped together to look neater. it does not add the audio to the DVI.
the only way that adaptor could work, is if your TV is like mine - my HDMI4 has a 3.5mm analogue port.

As said, DVI does not carry audio, if you ever think you had audio over DVI then you were simply mistake about what you were using. why not use HDMI?

I have not encounter a motherboard that doesn't have on-board audio. What model is the motherboard?
I was wondering the same thing. I've owned a couple motherboards with no on-board audio. But they were manufactured in the late 90s. I've not seen one since 2000 or so that didn't have on-board audio. That's definitely very unusual.

System Name My baby
Processor Athlon II X4 620 @ 3.5GHz, 1.45v, NB @ 2700Mhz, HT @ 2700Mhz - 24hr prime95 stable
Motherboard Asus M4A785TD-V EVO
Cooling Sonic Tower Rev 2 with 120mm Akasa attached, Akasa @ Front, Xilence Red Wing 120mm @ Rear
Memory 8 GB G.Skills 1600Mhz
Video Card(s) ATI ASUS Crossfire 5850
Storage Crucial MX100 SATA 2.5 SSD
Display(s) Lenovo ThinkVision 27" (LEN P27h-10)
Case Antec VSK 2000 Black Tower Case
Audio Device(s) Onkyo TX-SR309 Receiver, 2x Kef Cresta 1, 1x Kef Center 20c
Power Supply OCZ StealthXstream II 600w, 4x12v/18A, 80% efficiency.
Software Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
I was wondering the same thing. I've owned a couple motherboards with no on-board audio. But they were manufactured in the late 90s. I've not seen one since 2000 or so that didn't have on-board audio. That's definitely very unusual.

I'm 100% certain your motherboard has on-board audio. It's like saying your motherboard doesn't have a PS/2 port for mouse and keyboard, it's a basic standard.

Download CPU-Z. It will tell you the motherboard's model.

http://www.cpuid.com/downloads/cpu-z/cpu-z_1.72-en.exe

You have to go back to ISA slots to not have sound on a main board

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
Most server boards don't have onboard audio.

System Name Illidan
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Scythe Mugen 4
Memory G.Skill Trident Z 32GB DDR4 3000MHz 14CL
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT
Storage Crucial P1 1TB + Sandisk Ultra II 960GB + Samsung EVO Plus 970 2TB + F3 1TB + Toshiba X300 4TB
Display(s) Iiyama G-MASTER G4380UHSU-B1
Case Corsair 750D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Sony WH1000-XM4
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850
Mouse Logitech G604
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K70 (Cherry MX Red)
Software Windows 11 Pro

Yeah, I was afraid that would happen. A cheap USB soundcard will probably do the trick and reusable if ever needed.

It's like saying your motherboard doesn't have a PS/2 port for mouse and keyboard, it's a basic standard.
My motherboard doesn't have a PS/2 port. That I'm 100% sure of. And I've seen many others like it lately. It kinda seems like they're phasing that out to me. Since you can plug both into a USB port, with an adapter.

I could be wrong about the motherboard(s) I had with no on-board sound. I could swear I had at least one(maybe not 2) that needed a card though. But it were a long time ago.

Last edited:
System Name Windows 10 64-bit Core i7 6700
Processor Intel Core i7 6700
Motherboard Asus Z170M-PLUS
Cooling Corsair AIO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Kingston DDR4 2666
Video Card(s) Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB, Seagate Baracuda 1 TB
Display(s) Dell P2414H
Case Corsair Carbide Air 540
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair TX v2 650W
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard CM Storm Quickfire Pro, Cherry MX Reds
Software MS Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
PH-45-233B.jpg

I believe you are missing one of these (female 3.5mm jack) to connect the 3.5mm male jack from the speakers to that male 3.5mm jack on your new DVI cable. Just be careful not to amplify much on the sound card at the same time you are amplifying on the speakers (if they are not passive).

Rob Allen

I'm 100% certain your motherboard has on-board audio. It's like saying your motherboard doesn't have a PS/2 port for mouse and keyboard, it's a basic standard.

Download CPU-Z. It will tell you the motherboard's model.

http://www.cpuid.com/downloads/cpu-z/cpu-z_1.72-en.exe

This is what I have: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M3N72D/

The case does have audio ports but they dont appear to connect to anything, and Windows does not show a playback device for any onboard sound. Also, you can see on the Asus page that it only mentions having built-in support for Realtek codecs. That seemed odd to me too, but I already discussed this on another forum and they told me (specifically another M3N72 owner) that the mb doesn't actually have an onboard sound card, despite the way it's advertised, because if it did, Windows would be able to use it.

Last edited: