• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA Readying GM200-based GeForce GTX 980 Ti

Processor Intel Core i9 13900KF
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 Hero EVA Edition
Cooling Asus Ryujin II 360 EVA Edition
Memory 4x16GBs DDR5 6800MHz G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo Series
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 4090 AMP Extreme Airo
Storage 2TB Samsung 980 Pro OS - 4TB Nextorage G Series Games - 8TBs WD Black Storage
Display(s) LG C2 OLED 42" 4K 120Hz HDR G-Sync enabled TV
Case Asus ROG Helios EVA Edition
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S910W - 7.1 Klipsch Dolby ATMOS Speaker Setup - Audeze Maxwell
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 1300W
Mouse Asus ROG Keris EVA Edition - Asus ROG Scabbard II EVA Edition
Keyboard Asus ROG Strix Scope EVA Edition
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey VR
Software Windows 11 Pro 64bit
Well, it's because they're assholes dummy! :toast:

Yup, prime example can be found above this post ;)

Because Titan card are sign of stupidity - pay 1k$ and some months later for almost half of the price, we have faster card. :D I already feel bad about you. :)

Well, thank you very much for proving my point, I really appreciate you feeling bad about me, I already feel much better because of it, have a nice day sir :toast:

System Name Steam Red Box
Processor Intel Core I7 3770k @ 5.0 Ghz
Motherboard Asus Maximus V Gene
Cooling Custom Water Cooling for CPU, DRAM, GPU, VRM and Chipset
Memory Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 2600MHz C12
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon R9 290x (Core 1.170GHz, Memory 1.5Ghz)
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 128gb, 840 Evo 250gb, 850 Evo 250gb msata and Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM 3 tb
Display(s) BenQ RL2450HT 24.0" 1080p
Case Corsair 350D
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster Zx
Power Supply Corsair AX 1200i
Mouse Razer Mamba 2012
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK PRO
Software Microsoft Windows 10 Professional 64-bit

Well, thank you very much for proving my point, I really appreciate you feeling bad about me, I already feel much better because of it, have a nice day sir :toast:

Hi, I dont want to offend anyone, I just want to give my opinion in the subject, and maybe I can be wrong, but I think that buying a Titan it is just to be buying a false label of "Enthusiast" or "The most powerful GPU on earth" attach with a ridiculous price that nvidia want to makes people to think and really feel that if they own this product they will be really enthusiasts, but I think that buying an expensive product doesn't make you a real enthusiast, I know people who doesn't have the money to build an extreme rig, but they are passionate just by building a $700 dollar rig, by choosing wisely the components of their rigs with the knowledge for technology they have because that´s what they like to do. So I think a true enthusiast buys their components wisely and a true nvidia fan boy buys a titan.

Last edited:
System Name Zotan
Processor i9-10850K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z490 Gaming X AX
Cooling H100
Memory 32GB Viper 3200
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX3080
Case Airflow 275R
Power Supply RMX850
Benchmark Scores d1nky@hwbot.org
@15thwarlock how do those titans power that monitor and is that monitor good gaming with gsync? thats like a dream build right there!

hopefully this release will lower prices on everything else!

p.s to the haters, have you seen the reviews/vids showing an oc'd titanx against sli980s and 4k.... jeez some power! let alone sli titanx!

I just wish they won't waste performance gains just to add bunch of useless effects in games like they've done with stupid tessellation. Instead of keeping same visual fidelity and increasing performance with it, they ALL opted to churn 24759376837563964 billion polygons on fucking everything, dragging performance to new depths of hell. And we can barely see any in-game difference where performance benefits would mean more players would be able to enjoy games on weaker systems.

And I bet you, I bet you they'll do the same with DX12. Wooohooo, we got tons of extra power reserves, lets stick bunch of useless crap into games and make them equally slow as they were before DX12. They always do this kind of shit...

It's okay Warlock, I spend unnecessary amounts of $ on cards too. Mine arrived today (as if I need it) o_O - 2nd card is on the way.

Will likely pick up a 390X when they drop too.

Last edited:
Storage 2TB Samsung 980 Pro OS - 4TB Nextorage G Series Games - 8TBs WD Black Storage
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S910W - 7.1 Klipsch Dolby ATMOS Speaker Setup - Audeze Maxwell
It's okay Warlock, I spend unnecessary amounts of $ on cards too. Mine arrived today (as if I need it) o_O

Congrats on your new card! I'm pretty sure you'll love it, are you gonna put it under a water block also? :)

Hi, I dont want to offend anyone, I just want to give my opinion in the subject, and maybe I can be wrong, but I think that buying a Titan it is just to be buying a false label of "Enthusiast" or "The most powerful GPU on earth" attach with a ridiculous price that nvidia want to makes people to think and really feel that if they own this product they will be really enthusiasts, but I think that buying an expensive product doesn't make you a real enthusiast, I know people who doesn't have the money to build an extreme rig, but they are passionate just by building a $700 dollar rig, by choosing wisely the components of their rigs with the knowledge for technology they have because that´s what they like to do. So I think a true enthusiast buys their components wisely and a true nvidia fan boy buys a titan.

Hi Heydan, yes, I understand what you're trying to say, but that doesn't mean spending more money on your rig means ppl are less passionate about their PCs.

It could be argued that ppl who spends thousands of dollars on exotic cars are just as passionate about their hobby as much as someone who invest weekends working under a car they've built with their own hands.

I'm not a believer of the word enthusiast defining only ppl who spend a certain amount of money on any given hobby. Also, I don't like throwing the word fanboy lightly, many ppl get the best cards from AMD and Nvidia alike, as well as play on consoles so if anything, would you call those ppl gaming fanboys?

@15thwarlock how do those titans power that monitor and is that monitor good gaming with gsync? thats like a dream build right there!

hopefully this release will lower prices on everything else!

p.s to the haters, have you seen the reviews/vids showing an oc'd titanx against sli980s and 4k.... jeez some power! let alone sli titanx!

That 4K monitor is awesome for gaming! To be honest with you I like it better than the swift.

And yes, this release, will lower the price of admittance for both AMD and Nvidia gamers, which is good all around :rockout:

Now that both AMD and Nvidia are focusing on adaptive frame sync, gaming on 4K monitors is more fluid than ever, and both the 980Ti and the 390X will make single GPU 4K gaming a reality at last :)

Last edited:
Congrats on your new card! I'm pretty sure you'll love it, are you gonna put it under a water block also? :)
YOU KNOW IT! Can't have my babies sitting at 84/86 C I am shooting for 60's under load. Have my blocks on order from PPCS (Just came back in stock yesterday/today) So once they come in, I will test em out.

Side note, cant wait for the damn Acer Predator to drop... Ungh....

Last edited:
YOU KNOW IT! Can't have my babies sitting at 84/86 C I am shooting for 60's under load. Have my blocks on order form PPCS (Just can back in stock yesterday/today) So once they come in, I will test em out.

Side note, cant wait for the damn Acer Predator to drop... Ungh....

Yup, I think the NVTT cooler has finally reached the end of the line, and Maxwell begs to be put under water, my 980s scream at 1500MHz core speed well under 50 degrees under water!

Can't wait for my EK blocks to arrive, GM200 will be a monster of a GPU if properly cooled, both the Titan-X and 980Ti owners are in for one hell of a ride! :rockout:

And what Acer monitor are you referring to if I may ask?

System Name Black Knight | White Queen
Processor Intel Core i9-10940X | Intel Core i7-5775C
Motherboard ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore X299G | ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S (White)
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | Xigmatek Dark Knight SD-1283 Night Hawk (White)
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4 3600MHz CL16 | Corsair Vengeance LP 4x4GB DDR3L 1600MHz CL9 (White)
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 OC | KFA2/Galax GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Hall of Fame Edition
Storage Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, 980 Pro 1TB, 850 Pro 256GB, 840 Pro 256GB, WD 10TB+ (incl. VelociRaptors)
Display(s) Dell Alienware AW2721D 240Hz, ASUS ROG Strix XG279Q 170Hz, ASUS PA246Q 60Hz| Samsung JU7500 48'' TV
Case Corsair 7000D AIRFLOW (Black) | NZXT ??? w/ ASUS DRW-24B1ST
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar Essence STX | Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Enermax Revolution 1250W 85+ | Super Flower Leadex Gold 650W (White)
Mouse Razer Basilisk Ultimate, Razer Naga Trinity | Razer Mamba 16000
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2 (Orange switch) | Razer Ornata Chroma
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
All of your cards with Hynix memory? What about the ASIC quality of the chips?

Because Titan card are sign of stupidity - pay 1k$ and some months later for almost half of the price, we have faster card. :D I already feel bad about you. :) Before we had at least double precision .. now only more gigs but for what? :D
Bingo. Sometimes people are made fun of for a reason. You may see a halo product that everyone else wishes they had, but really what we see is some guy who fell for Nvidia's BS marketing.

johnspack

Here For Good!
System Name System2 Blacknet , System1 Blacknet2
Processor System2 Threadripper 1920x, System1 2699 v3
Motherboard System2 Asrock Fatality x399 Professional Gaming, System1 Asus X99-A
Cooling System2 Noctua NH-U14 TR4-SP3 Dual 140mm fans, System1 AIO
Memory System2 64GBS DDR4 3000, System1 32gbs DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) System2 GTX 980Ti System1 GTX 970
Storage System2 4x SSDs + NVme= 2.250TB 2xStorage Drives=8TB System1 3x SSDs=2TB
Display(s) 2x 24" 1080 displays
Case System2 Some Nzxt case with soundproofing...
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar U7 MKII
Power Supply System2 EVGA 750 Watt, System1 XFX XTR 750 Watt
Mouse Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum
Keyboard Ducky
Software Manjaro, Windows 10, Kubuntu 23.10
Benchmark Scores It's linux baby!
Just get them out already. I'm tired of my 480, want a 970, but don't want to pay 400 for the darn thing.... was going to pull on a 770 at almost 300 but then ncix cleared them out and replaced
with the 400+ 970s. Always such a small margin of affordability when Canadian suppliers keep small stocks.....

System Name 192.168.1.1~192.168.1.100
Processor AMD Ryzen5 5600G.
Motherboard Gigabyte B550m DS3H.
Cooling AMD Wraith Stealth.
Memory 16GB Crucial DDR4.
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1080 OC (Underclocked, underpowered).
Storage Samsung 980 NVME 500GB && Assortment of SSDs.
Display(s) LG 24MK430 primary && Samsung S24D590 secondary
Case Corsair Graphite 780T.
Audio Device(s) On-Board.
Power Supply SeaSonic CORE GM-650.
Mouse Coolermaster MM530.
Keyboard Kingston HyperX Alloy FPS.
VR HMD A pair of OP spectacles.
Software Ubuntu 22.04 LTS.
Benchmark Scores Me no know English. What bench mean? Bench like one sit on?
I personally bet on the card being slower or equal to the Titan X. A safe bet would place it midway between the X and the 980. Assuming the folks at Nvidia aren't idiots enough to think 12GB of memory is the only marketing point it takes to sell a card.

There's also the possibility that the 980Ti's GM200 be crippled in some aspect. Lower OC headroom, less/slower ROPs to limit performance at high resolutions (or so I believe the effect would be), etc, etc.

I just wish they won't waste performance gains just to add bunch of useless effects in games like they've done with stupid tessellation.

Tessellation wasn't useless. Misused most of the time, but not useless. Heck, if applications such as Unigine Heaven's were to become mainstream, that would've been cool!
Come to think of it, screw tessellation! Let every model be a high poly one! And while we are at it, let's path trace everything! Render at 4x native res! Physically simulate every hair strand! Infinite LoD!

System Name The Stone that the Builders Refused / iJayo
Processor R5 1600/ R7 3700X
Motherboard Asrock AB350 Pro4 / Asus Rog Strix B450-F gaming
Cooling Cryorig M9 / Noctua NH-D14
Memory G skill 16 Gigs ddr4 / 16 gigs PNY ddr4
Video Card(s) Nvdia GTX 660 / Nvidia RTX 2070 Super
Storage 120gig 840 evo, 120gig adata sp900 / 1tb Mushkin M.2 ssd 1 & 3 tb seagate hdd, 120 gig Hyper X ssd
Display(s) 42" Nec retail display monitor/ 34" Dell curved 165hz monitor
Case Pink Enermax Ostrog / Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass edition
Audio Device(s) Altec Lansing Expressionist Bass/ M-Audio monitors
Power Supply Corsair450 / Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 650
Mouse corsair vengence M65 / Zalman Knossos
Keyboard corsair k95 / Roccat Vulcan 121
Software Window 10 pro / Windows 10 pro
Benchmark Scores meh... feel me on the battle field!
........the vast majority of Titan critics/haters don't get it...... Those who can afford to buy a titan do so because they want to and they can.....when something faster pops up......they'll buy it regardless of their Titan. Its like buying a Bentley...... they are faster, better engineered even more luxurious cars out there........but regardless.....if you bought one...... you still got a Bentley. This card don't belong in any conversation about price/performance. Its just simply a prestige piece. I'm looking to buy a first gen Titan....for double precision...

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
I can't mention how I know...but this card will not be faster than the Titan X. The GTX 980 ti will have less Ram and cost less (about $700) then the GTX titan X. Call me a lier if you want.... just remember you heard it here first.
So for those who bought the new titan feel good about your purchase. However this card will not be released until AMD gets closer to releasing their R9 390X card.

Something like MSI TF5-top or GBT WF3-450W will keep the GM200 well away from its 84C throttle, yielding more performance. Titan-X hits the thermal limit too often under heavy load, and NVIDIA restricts AICs from launching custom-design Titan_X (other than ones with factory-fitted water blocks (not AIO coolers)). Also GTX 990 factory-OC could make it faster than Titan-X. 6 GB vs. 12 GB doesn't matter. So yeah, anyone who's held off on a Titan-X purchase will buy the GTX 990, and have a great friday-night with the $350 saved.

Or if you're a nerd like me, you'd spend the $350 saved on choosing an X99 platform over a Z97 one, if you're building afresh.

System Name Intel® X99 Wellsburg
Processor Intel® Core™ i7-5820K - 4.5GHz
Motherboard ASUS Rampage V E10 (1801)
Cooling EK RGB Monoblock + EK XRES D5 Revo Glass PWM
Memory CMD16GX4M4A2666C15
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon
Storage Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 1TB /850 EVO 1TB / WD Black 2TB
Display(s) Samsung P2450H
Case Lian Li PC-O11 WXC
Audio Device(s) CREATIVE Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply EVGA 1200 P2 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G900 / SS QCK
Keyboard Deck 87 Francium Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
It would be nice to NVIDIA launch GM200 with full CUDA only cheaper. But 6GB is nothing special.
Only someone who have more than 6-8GB can use cards 2-3 years. OK custom models are advantage, but now in some games GTX980 is on edge of limits.
If someone pay SLI he will stay without video memory with 20-30% GPU power unused. Because of that TITAN X is better investment than GTX980 SLI.
Even for 2 years TITAN X owners could play games with x2 AA or AA Off with 5-6-7GB memory usage if need.
From other side if game need 4.-4.2GB 100 fps will look as 20. Cards as TITAN X are always good and I would not think at all on some 6GB version only TITAN X is expensive. And price is special high for Europe.
I don't like only because last weeks every 2 days some new rumor or possible project from AMD show up on net and nothing from their card.
They can't move attention from TITAN X on that way, without R9-390X on table.

I personally bet on the card being slower or equal to the Titan X. A safe bet would place it midway between the X and the 980. Assuming the folks at Nvidia aren't idiots enough to think 12GB of memory is the only marketing point it takes to sell a card.

There's also the possibility that the 980Ti's GM200 be crippled in some aspect. Lower OC headroom, less/slower ROPs to limit performance at high resolutions (or so I believe the effect would be), etc, etc.

Tessellation wasn't useless. Misused most of the time, but not useless. Heck, if applications such as Unigine Heaven's were to become mainstream, that would've been cool!
Come to think of it, screw tessellation! Let every model be a high poly one! And while we are at it, let's path trace everything! Render at 4x native res! Physically simulate every hair strand! Infinite LoD!

Tessellation was meant as a more fluid replacement to multistage LOD. Instead they degenerated it entirely into something that always made performance horrible with hardly any visual benefits.

Because Titan card are sign of stupidity - pay 1k$ and some months later for almost half of the price, we have faster card. :D I already feel bad about you. :) Before we had at least double precision .. now only more gigs but for what? :D
Can't tell if you're serious. With that logic, anybody who is willing to pay 1 mil for a Ferrari the Ferrari is stupid.
I would prefer the term money-enabled.;)
You can't blame people for having the money to spend on s**t they want to have, that's the rule of the land. And if I or you are unable to do the same calling out the people who can "stupid" is the most knee-jerk reaction you could possibly come up with.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
Bingo. Sometimes people are made fun of for a reason. You may see a halo product that everyone else wishes they had, but really what we see is some guy who fell for Nvidia's BS marketing.

I hope AMD pull through for you in Summer, I really do.

FTR, Titan X is the current halo product. I'm not willing to shell out for one, though I can quite easily afford to do so.

I'm holding off till June for AMD to destroy Nvidia. Then I'll buy their magical product. I'll even but it if its as much as the Titan.

But for now, Titan is the go to card and if you want to buy it, that's the buyers choice. If you want to keep crying about it and offend those that want to buy THE fastest single GPU on the planet, then you're obviously out of your little tech mind.
I think in your honour I'll upgrade to the next 1000 dollar Intel chip and sli Titans, just to hear you cry some more.

Processor AMD FX-8320
Motherboard AsRock 970 PRO3 R2.0
Cooling Thermalright Ultra120 eXtreme + 2 LED Green fans
Memory 2 x 4096 MB DDR3-1333 A-Data
Video Card(s) SAPPHIRE 4096M R9 FURY X 4G D5
Storage ST1000VX000 • SV35.6 Series™ 1000 GB 7200 rpm
Display(s) Acer S277HK wmidpp 27" 4K (3840 x 2160) IPS
Case Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus Black + Red Lights
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek
Power Supply OCZ ProXStream 1000W
Mouse Genius NetScroll 100X
Keyboard Logitech Wave
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Tessellation was meant as a more fluid replacement to multistage LOD. Instead they degenerated it entirely into something that always made performance horrible with hardly any visual benefits.

Why? What's happened?

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
Can't tell if you're serious. With that logic, anybody who is willing to pay 1 mil for a Ferrari the Ferrari is stupid.
I would prefer the term money-enabled.;)
You can't blame people for having the money to spend on s**t they want to have, that's the rule of the land. And if I or you are unable to do the same calling out the people who can "stupid" is the most knee-jerk reaction you could possibly come up with.

My sentinments exactly. Well put...

...And I can't afford a Titan for the record.

Why? What's happened?

They sprayed it all over everything like they had a spray can with unlimited capacity, killing performance.

System Name Windows 10 64-bit Core i7 6700
Processor Intel Core i7 6700
Motherboard Asus Z170M-PLUS
Cooling Corsair AIO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Kingston DDR4 2666
Video Card(s) Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB, Seagate Baracuda 1 TB
Display(s) Dell P2414H
Case Corsair Carbide Air 540
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair TX v2 650W
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard CM Storm Quickfire Pro, Cherry MX Reds
Software MS Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
The problem here is that they are cherry picking the best GM200 dies for the cheaper card ... more expensive card for professionals gets less overclock-able chips

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
People who whine about other people who spent money on a top-tier product really do suffer from a lack of vision above anything else.

These people do not realise that the top tier products are the ones that enable progress for future generations. Look at the Tesla S, for example. Marketed and sold as a top tier product, early adopters pay the investment for the future, including all the technological advances it brings in refueling/charging stations, infrastructure, etc. etc.

Similarly, Titan X has the price it has because it is the first iteration of a big chip, one that will suffer from lower yields especially early in its lifetime. The high price on Titan X pays for the fully enable GTX parts later down the line. And it has a healthy margin because it is a top tier product. Early adopters ALWAYS pay the highest price and always suffer the majority of problems. Their payoff is 'being first', nothing else. They get to pioneer new technological advances. The value of this is very personal.

Don't get me wrong, I always frown at paying 1k for a GPU, or buying a car at half the price of a house. But I have learned that 'I' am never the common denominator, nobody really is. Once you learn this you can look at products and prices normally and see how every price point / product niche has its market.

About GTX 980 ti / 990.... yeah. Been there done that, nothing new, 980ti will be faster than Titan X in actual gaming and still be cheaper, there is a difference in DP performance between Kepler and Maxwell, and none of it really matters to anyone. All these cards still have a market, simply because they are going to get kicked down the line in the future. GK110 still sells today for obvious reasons, hell even Titans sell today because, again, there is a niche for them still and the new generation has made them more affordable. One or two years from now we will have the exact same discussion with the exact same conclusion.

I was planning on getting 980 or 970 then decided to wait what AMD will show. It should be a cracker. I always was in the green camp (I hate red color :) ), but if new 3xx series is as good or better (both performance and power efficiency) I will defo consider a switch.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
I was planning on getting 980 or 970 then decided to wait what AMD will show. It should be a cracker. I always was in the green camp (I hate red color :) ), but if new 3xx series is as good or better (both performance and power efficiency) I will defo consider a switch.

I can safely say to you: performance will be greater than Titan X, power efficiency will be worse than Titan X. Performance/watt might get close but AMD will still be slightly behind on that too. Pricing will be around the 800 dollar mark and drop quickly after we see a 980ti released at a similar price point.

In addition, the first couple of months of release the R9 390(x) will have broken drivers. After that all will be fine.

Mark my words.