• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

4 way HDD switcher

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hi
As a new member , ı want to beginn with a mini worklog

I know most of my friends are using 3-4 HDD s as storage. Working all of them creates problems;

Life of the HDDs ,heat problems and noise…

At a Project ı wanted to use an HDD switcher for 4 HDD s. but ı could find only for 2 HDD s.

I made an HDD switcher for 4 HDDs.

A 5.25 box with 3mm plexi

Holes for switches and leds on the front cover and holes for molex at back with lazer cut. Letters laser engraving.

All wirings on a little pertinax

Before closing the box

Added 4 leds and 4 sleeved sata power cable.

Finished..

I can select 1. HDD

Or one of 2nd -3 rd or 4 th HDD ..

I can make combinations of f

FİNAL

OTHER WORKLOGS

Grapich Equaliser display

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/graphic-equaliser-display.203871/

900 D MMT CASE

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/900-d-mmt-case.204028/

12 Angry Men 900 D Case

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/12-angry-men-900-d-case.203915/

TRANSFORMER

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/transformer.204111/

only mini worklogs at hot AUGUST days.. it is better to work at beach

Greetings from Fethiye /Turkey arg-ist

Last edited:

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
What are you trying to accomplish by doing this? Keeping drives spinning doesn't kill them nearly as quickly as spinning them back up regularly as it requires a lot more work and power to get something not moving up to speed than keeping something at a particular speed. The only good reason I see is to reduce heat and power consumption but those are non-issues if you just keep the drives spun up. To keep 5 drives and 2 SSDs active costs something like 20 watts, it's really not a lot.

What are you trying to accomplish by doing this? Keeping drives spinning doesn't kill them nearly as quickly as spinning them back up regularly as it requires a lot more work and power to get something not moving up to speed than keeping something at a particular speed. The only good reason I see is to reduce heat and power consumption but those are non-issues if you just keep the drives spun up. To keep 5 drives and 2 SSDs active costs something like 20 watts, it's really not a lot.

that is the reason; my first sentences...

I know most of my friends are using 3-4 HDD s as storage.

they are used as storage . it is not necessary to work with all them . I can select the necessary one..

System Name i7-PC / HTPC / iMac
Processor i7 3820 / Phenom II 940
Motherboard GIGABYTE G1.ASSASSIN2 / M3A79-T Deluxe
Cooling Corsair Hydro H100i / Scythe II (HS only)
Memory G.SKILL Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600mhz / 4GB DDR2 1066 (@800) Corsair Dominator
Video Card(s) GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB / GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB
Storage 2x 80GB Intel X-25, 2x600gb SATA, 1x1tb 5400RPM storage /1x600GB, 3x500GB,1x160,1x120 SATA
Display(s) 1x 27" Yamakasi / Vizio 42" HDTV
Case Lian Li Lancool PC-K58 / Antec 900
Audio Device(s) HT Omega Striker 7.1 / Onboard and HDMI from ATi Card
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling 750W / 610W
Software Ubuntu / Windows 8.1 Pro / OS X / PHPStorm / Gaming
right but the point is you can just plug them in and select the necessary one anyway, and not have to power them off or on independently, ever. there is simply no technical reason to do this, as the problems you listed are minimal compared to the damage eventually caused by turning a drive on or off multiple times every day.

that being said, you did an awesome job. very good work I just disagree with the necessity of it.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
right but the point is you can just plug them in and select the necessary one anyway, and not have to power them off or on independently, ever. there is simply no technical reason to do this, as the problems you listed are minimal compared to the damage eventually caused by turning a drive on or off multiple times every day.

that being said, you did an awesome job. very good work I just disagree with the necessity of it.

You summed up my feelings as well, even if it didn't come out that way. I have 9 spinny disks in my house, 5 in my tower, 4 in my server and the only time any of them power down is if the machine turns off. The 4 in my server all have over 30k hours on time and they're all going strong still. The drives in my tower have between 10k and 4k on hours but I treat them the same way; always spinning.

You summed up my feelings as well, even if it didn't come out that way. I have 9 spinny disks in my house, 5 in my tower, 4 in my server and the only time any of them power down is if the machine turns off. The 4 in my server all have over 30k hours on time and they're all going strong still. The drives in my tower have between 10k and 4k on hours but I treat them the same way; always spinning.

of corse it is your choice..I respect you.

System Name Ultra 64
Processor NEC VR4300 (MIPS R4300i)
Motherboard proprietary design
Cooling Fanless aircooled
Memory 4.5MB 250 MHz RDRAM
Video Card(s) 62.5 MHz Reality Coprocessor
Storage 32 - 512 Mbit ROM Cartridge
Display(s) 720x576
Case Clear Blue Funtastic
Audio Device(s) 16-bit CD quality
Power Supply proprietary design
Mouse N64 mouse for use with N64DD