• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

OFFICIAL Heroes of the Storm (Review)

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro

Introduction

Heroes of the Storm is a MOBA, one of many largely based around the concept of the Warcraft III mod, Defence of the Ancients. It has been developed by Activision Blizzard, and its main goal was to breach the MOBA scene with something fresh and different, allowing players to see how it differs from the mass stockpile of Free to Play MOBAS. The scene is currently dominated largely by League of Legends, followed closely by DotA and with championships still going on for SMITE. One of the key areas Activision Blizzard developed around was the quest-like objectives on the various maps. Currently LoL and DotA run a single map pool for 5v5 matches, but HotS has a slew of maps, with more to be included, all for 5v5 play. Not every map has 3 lanes for instance, and not every map develops as you might think. The game is largely developed using the Starcraft II engine.

Storyline

This has been shoehorned in, and is made quite clear that it’s been shoehorned with the first two tutorial missions to ease players in. Heroes from across all lands (and franchises) are chosen by the nexus to fight in the arena in an endless battle for glory. Or just for funsies basically. The video below should make that evident.

Gameplay

In general, the gameplay objectives are identical to that of every MOBA. Push lanes, kill towers, and then kill the big shiny tower at the end to win the game. There is of course, a little more to it than that, and Blizzard takes it a step forward in terms of mechanics. You’ve got your standard creeps, you’ve got bush sight and fog of war, as well as towers similar to that found in Starcraft II that provide sight over an area. Towers are not normal towers however, as they have ammunition that replenishes very slowly over time. That means you can’t leave your lane and allow the enemies to simply creep push all day. You have to conserve the ammo for the right time. In addition to this, towers aren’t quite as helpful as they are in other MOBAs. Typically a tower will auto attack creeps, and will re-target to any hero that damages a friendly hero. This is not the case in HotS, towers will not help you unless there are no creeps to blast down, so you can’t hide next to your tower when stuck on low health in a sticky situations, you can and will get sniped within tower range, and that damn thing won’t so much as bat an eyelid.

Between each tower is a wall that enemy heroes and creeps can’t pass. It can be damaged, and destroyed however. This stops crazy tower diving tactics in the early game, and allows you to escape to health fountains places by each fort so you can replenish health and mana(assuming your hero uses mana and not fury). It is possible however for a hero to jump over or pull themselves through a wall, as well as fire ranged artillery abilities through it. Sure, they might die horribly from tower and fort damage, but they can still kill you if they need you out of the fight for some time, or to allow a mercenary camp or objective creep to push the lane hard for them.

On the subject of mercenaries and objective creeps, this is one of the key areas Blizzard looked into in order to make their MOBA different. Mercenary camps are one of two types typically, or in very specific maps, one of three. You have your bruiser camps, mainly melee with a single caster, that are like your normal lane creeps but on crack. They can push enemy creeps hard, and break through forts, but they’re susceptible to tower fire, they do however take a hell of a lot more damage to kill. The other main creep type is the siege mercenaries, basically two ogres with a sack of large boulders. These guys can outrange turrets, and deal significant siege damage to buildings, but aren’t so great at pushing lanes and dealing with creeps, heroes, or soaking too much damage. Certain maps with have a third type of creep, which is a mini-boss of some sort, that when destroyed and captured, is like an extra player that simply focuses on pushing lanes. It’s usually a Golem, which can periodically stun enemy heroes, root heroes, and take a tonne of punishment while obliterating a lane entirely if left unchecked. It usually takes a hero and a lot of tower fire to bring these guys down. Additionally, there are objective creeps, this includes Golems on the mines map, the Dragon Knight, the Garden Terror, The Ghost Ship and the Curse. Each of these require players to battle out with other enemy players to capture or reach a certain objective stage first in order to take control of one of those objective creeps and push a lane so hard, the enemy is forced to deal with it head on or risk losing substantial ground. The idea around these objectives is to allow a team to turn the tide of a losing battle with one fell swoop of a smart objective attainment, and to use it wisely. I’ve come back from losing a 25 minute long game and decimating the enemy in a very unexpected turn of events.

One of the excellent features of levelling up in HotS is that it’s done as a team. Unlike other MOBAs, where a single hero can spiral out of control and severely put the enemy team at a huge disadvantage, the levelling system levels up all players of a team at once. Experience is gained over time from killing creeps, towers, walls, as well as capturing objectives and mercenaries, and of course killing enemy heroes. Every few levels you unlock a choice of talents to take, which usually provide some form of passive bonus to existing skills, or unlocking a special ability. Unlike other MOBAs, it doesn’t force you to level up skills either. You have all skill bar the special ability available at level 1, and your damage scales with level only, as well as any additional bonuses provided through talents. You might think of it as a gimmick, but it allows you to play the character how you see fit.

In terms of the options available outside of a battle, you obtain daily quests which reward you substantial amounts of gold (the in-game currency). Each battle rewards gold, as well has character experience and player experience. Gold is used to unlock more heroes and certain skins, and is reward in a much higher quantity than IP in LoL. Player experience gains levels, which mostly provide gold rewards or free character rotation slots (an additional two maximum). Character experience levels up characters you play with, unlocking extra talent options, characters portraits, skins, skin colour alterations and other bonuses.

Controls

The controls are largely standard to any old MOBA. You have your attack-move command from Starcraft II, mouse buttons move around and attack, and your ‘Q’W’E’R’ keys are you skills, along with Special Hero Ability. Some characters have a few different keybinds for additional abilities and skills unlocked through the talent trees. These usually combine the ‘D’ key as well as numbers ‘1’ through ‘4’. One of the keys I find marginally irritating is the use of the ‘Z’ key for mounting up. It’s one of those keys that are very easily missed and in general just awkward to reach during any kind of intense play. You can use ‘TAB’ to toggle on and off your view of the team status page. Here it lists takedowns, and you can switch it to see what talents your team or enemy team have opted to take - Something quite interesting when considering how best to counter a certain engagement. The ‘CTRL’ key to toggle your talents, but it isn’t persistent in battle, so it disappears when the key becomes released.

Video Settings

Blizzard certainly knows what they’re doing when it comes to game options. The interesting aspect of the game is that it incorporates nice little ragdoll physics, which make for an interested death or two. You’ve got all the wonderful options you could imagine for fine tuning the settings to fit in with whatever framerate you’re aiming for on a low end system. Maxed out its got that wonderful cyber Starcraft II art style, but I’d say it’s a little more colourful than the grey and blue tones of the RTS. There are no nasty FPS caps hidden anywhere either.

System Performance

CPU: i5 4670 (Stock)
GPU: MSI GTX 970 (Stock)
RAM: 16GB 2133mhz
Storage: WD 1TB 7200RPM
Display: 2560 x 1440

In terms of general performance, it runs extremely well for a Technical Alpha build. Framerates are largely acceptable for a game in its state, although for my system I expected a little more from what is essentially a pleasant engine. I expected the Starcraft II engine to be so well optimised by now that the Technical Alpha build would be ridden with bugs, but have no performance issues. I’m unsure how this would run on particularly low end systems (which I imagine most of their potential audience will be using), but the options are there to tone things down a bit. Maxed out, LoL runs in excess of 250 FPS, whereas HotS at the same resolutions, runs closer to the 60 mark. It’s worth noting, if you zoom in, the LoL textures and general graphics are completely awful, but that hasn’t affected its popularity. I just hope HotS can look better and at least perform similarly.

Beyond the general performance, there were a number of rather odd server issues. Games would never load, once they did load you didn’t have control of your character and were forced to reload the game again. One of the key problems is the way they currently handle reconnections. You actually have to “catch up” to the server time in order to rejoin. That means if a net connection issues leaves you stranded for a minute when you’re already twenty minutes in, it takes you about three to four minutes to reconnect and “catch up” again with the server time. It’s a little bit strange, and is in dire need of addressing.

1440p

1080p

Conclusion

The Free to Play model is possibly one of the best I’ve seen for a game of this type. While I admire DOTA for the ability to play any hero regardless of experience, I can see why many publishers opt for the alternative option of in-game currency unlocking heroes, as well as paid versions. Simply the game is there to make money, but as long as they offer players the ability to unlock champions through sensible means, and not endless dubious grinds that are purposefully made to be bland and long to make you pay instead, and then it’s almost OK. That doesn’t mean it is OK. I’d prefer it if they unlocked all heroes to all, but the free champion rotation almost solves that small issues in terms of free characters with a variety. Typically skins in almost every game cost money, and they cost a significant amount. £7.49 is quite frankly a joke, but you almost have to reason that nobody needs those skins. Another very pleasant thing Blizzard have done in this case, is unlock colour variations of heroes as you level them up, as well as unlock legendary type skins once you hit level 10 on that particular character, so I have to give them kudos for that. Along similar lines are mounts that can be purchased, some costing rather excessive amounts, but there is currently a single in-game currency purchasable mount.

In terms of gameplay, it cuts out the entire item aspect of most MOBAs, and I think it’s for the better. I’ve dropped hundreds if not thousands of hours in LoL, and you always run bread and butter items in almost every case. There are a number of areas when you might switch something out, but everybody tends to reach for the same items, and it makes the ability to choose as pointless as the old WoW talent system in BC – Lots of choices, but a clear advantage is gained through specific ones. The Talent system within HotS is actually quite nice. After playing a number of characters through two free rotations, I found that most of the talents weren’t necessarily better than others, but they were an acceptable choice based on how you wanted to play, and what role you wanted to fill within your team. Some melee characters could go all out tanks, or play a more assassin style role, or even fill a supporting role. The Talent system definitely did what it was set out to achieve.

All in all it’s been a very positive experience. I can certainly see it becoming my replacement for LoL, simply because the toxic community and bland choices haven’t arrived into the game yet. Yet. The game is very easy to learn, and has a very acceptable skill curve. The map objectives need to be adjusted somehow, as many players simply ignore them because they think they’re a waste of time, others think very differently. Following similar lines, there’s no real baseline for how hero splits should be on various maps, and there are evidently some very clear balance issues with some heroes.

If you don’t have the time or patience to step into DotA or LoL after all this time, HotS is a very good potential candidate to get into a relatively fair F2P model MOBA and actually enjoy yourself, instead of getting hurled with abuse and hate.

Heroes of the Storm is currently in Closed Alpha Development.

System Name Unknown
Processor AMD Bulldozer FX8320 @ 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asus Crosshair V
Cooling XSPC Raystorm 750 EX240 for CPU
Memory 8 GB CORSAIR Vengeance Red DDR3 RAM 1922mhz (10-11-9-27)
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Storage Samsung SSD 254GB and Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
Display(s) AOC 23" @ 1920x1080 + Asus 27" 1440p
Case HAF X
Audio Device(s) X Fi Titanium 5.1 Surround Sound
Power Supply 750 Watt PP&C Silencer Black
Software Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
My name is Skia#1743 if anyone wants to party up.

I really like that I don't have to b back to buy items but that I can still go b back to at least heal.

Not having to worry about items makes you focus on the fun factor instead of the grind factor. That coupled with shared xp really makes this a team oriented MOBA. I tired getting my serious LoL friends to play some of this to increase our team work in LoL but of course its either LoL or nothing.

System Name Rainbow Puke Machine :D
Processor Intel Core i5-11400 (MCE enabled, PL removed)
Motherboard ASUS STRIX B560-G GAMING WIFI mATX
Cooling Corsair H60i RGB PRO XT AIO + HD120 RGB (x3) + SP120 RGB PRO (x3) + Commander PRO
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB RT 2 x 8GB 3200MHz DDR4 C16
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX2060 Twin Fan 6GB GDDR6 (Stock)
Storage Corsair MP600 PRO 1TB M.2 PCIe Gen4 x4 SSD
Display(s) LG 29WK600-W Ultrawide 1080p IPS Monitor (primary display)
Case Corsair iCUE 220T RGB Airflow (White) w/Lighting Node CORE + Lighting Node PRO RGB LED Strips (x4).
Audio Device(s) ASUS ROG Supreme FX S1220A w/ Savitech SV3H712 AMP + Sonic Studio 3 suite
Power Supply Corsair RM750x 80 Plus Gold Fully Modular
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB FPS Gaming (White)
Keyboard Corsair K60 PRO RGB Mechanical w/ Cherry VIOLA Switches
VR HMD Pico 4 128GB AIO VR Headset* (* = in consideration of getting one)
Software Windows 10 Professional x64 (Update 22H2)
Just got a spot for Closed Beta. ID is Tsukiyomi91#1899 if those who needs a teammate.

Ahhzz

Staff member
System Name OrangeHaze / Silence
Processor i7-13700KF / i5-10400 /
Motherboard ROG STRIX Z690-E / MSI Z490 A-Pro Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H75 / TT ToughAir 510
Memory 64Gb GSkill Trident Z5 / 32GB Team Dark Za 3600
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2070 / Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-X 4Gb
Storage Hynix Plat P41 2Tb\Samsung MZVL21 1Tb / Samsung 980 Pro 1Tb
Display(s) 22" Dell Wide/24" Asus
Case Lian Li PC-101 ATX custom mod / Antec Lanboy Air Black & Blue
Audio Device(s) SB Audigy 7.1
Power Supply Corsair Enthusiast TX750
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed Wireless / Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
Keyboard K68 RGB — CHERRY® MX Red
Software Win10 Pro \ RIP:Win 7 Ult 64 bit
Still not sure I want in on this..... LoL is nothing but troll bait for someone who doesn't breathe the stuff, and I prefer to find my way into my own style, not be expected to pick the same cookie cutter design or risk the wrath of my team and all their noise...

AlienIsGOD

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Aliens Ryzen Rig | 2nd Hand Omen
Processor Ryzen R5 5600 | Ryzen R5 3600
Motherboard Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite (F61 BIOS) | B450 matx
Cooling DeepCool Castle EX V2 240mm AIO| stock for now
Memory 8GB X 2 DDR4 3000mhz Team Group Vulcan | 16GB DDR4
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 8GB | GTX 1650 4GB
Storage Adata XPG 8200 PRO 512GB SSD OS / 240 SSD + 2TB M.2 SSD Games / 1000 GB Data | SSD + HDD
Display(s) Acer ED273 27" VA 144hz Freesync |TCL 32" 1080P w/ HDR
Case NZXT H500 Black | HP Omen Obelisk
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek | Onboard Realtek
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650w 80+ Gold | 500w
Mouse Steelseries Rival 500 15 button mouse w/ Razor Goliathus Chroma XL mousemat | Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spark RGB w/ Romer G tactile keys | Logitech G513 Carbon w/ Romer G tactile keys
Software Windows 10 Pro | Windows 10 Pro
i have 4 closed beta keys if anyone wishes to try this out, 1st come 1st serve :D

Ahhzz

Staff member
I'd like to try :)

AlienIsGOD

Vanguard Beta Tester
Storage Adata XPG 8200 PRO 512GB SSD OS / 240 SSD + 2TB M.2 SSD Games / 1000 GB Data | SSD + HDD
Mouse Steelseries Rival 500 15 button mouse w/ Razor Goliathus Chroma XL mousemat | Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spark RGB w/ Romer G tactile keys | Logitech G513 Carbon w/ Romer G tactile keys
3 keys left :D

sorry for hijacking review Rcoon feel free to delete if needed. Ive been holding these keys for awhile tho :p

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
3 keys left :D

sorry for hijacking review Rcoon feel free to delete if needed. Ive been holding these keys for awhile tho :p

No worries, the more players the better! I'm busy most of this week with review and NPU article prep, but I'd join a few gents on HotS at some point for some TPU funions

System Name Snizzle
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard ROG STRIX X470-F GAMING
Cooling CORSAIR Hydro Series™ H100i PRO RGB
Memory CORSAIR VENGEANCE® RGB PRO 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C14 Memory Kit
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti XC ULTRA GAMING, 11G-P4-2383-KR
Storage SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 2280 500GB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q
Case NZXT H500
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2 220-G2-0850-XR 850W
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei
Keyboard Ducky DK2108S
Software Windows 10 Pro

AlienIsGOD

Vanguard Beta Tester
2 keys left :)

AlienIsGOD

Vanguard Beta Tester
got an email from Blizzard for 4 MORE KEYS :D these keys include Valla the Demon Hunter along with access.

So 6 keys are left :D

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
got an email from Blizzard for 4 MORE KEYS :D these keys include Valla the Demon Hunter along with access.

So 6 keys are left :D

I've never played a MOBA in my life (except some Starcraft maps that worked the same way), toss me one!

AlienIsGOD

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name RyZEN Build + XBOX One
Processor AMD Ryzen 1600 3.2Ghz
Motherboard ASUS Prime B350-Plus
Cooling Stock cooling
Memory Kingston HyperX FURY Black 24GB DDR4 2400Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 OC
Storage Samsung 860Evo 250GB SSD M.2 + Corsair Force GT 60GB SSD + WD Blue 500GB Sata
Case Antec Three Hundred TWO
Power Supply Seasonic M12II 620Watt
Software Win 10 Pro

Ahhzz

Staff member
Had some time in last night and played my first three matches this morn, won all three. In my second game, got an a$$hat "So-and-so (I forgot the name of the starter merc character) doesn't know how to capture a f'ing temple!! F'ing noob!!" etc, etc, etc. I told him that Maybe this was my second game, and maybe you're a whiny ¢unt. We still won, and I had most hero and siege damage. I was actually enjoying myself, even with the jerk in the game, but that kinda hints at the type people that are going to be playing. If you've got that sort of attitude in a beta, when it's obvious people are just learning the game, I wince at the stuff I expect to see in a few weeks....

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
Had some time in last night and played my first three matches this morn, won all three. In my second game, got an a$$hat "So-and-so (I forgot the name of the starter merc character) doesn't know how to capture a f'ing temple!! F'ing noob!!" etc, etc, etc. I told him that Maybe this was my second game, and maybe you're a whiny ¢unt. We still won, and I had most hero and siege damage. I was actually enjoying myself, even with the jerk in the game, but that kinda hints at the type people that are going to be playing. If you've got that sort of attitude in a beta, when it's obvious people are just learning the game, I wince at the stuff I expect to see in a few weeks....

As with most games, those people exist. I keep saying there aren't that many people in HotS, the mouthy edgy douchebag kind, however I get the impression that's because it's closed beta, so they can't sign up willy-nilly. Still, I see less bad mouthing in HotS than every other MOBA combined. That and if you ever mess up, you always know it's you're own fault, and not because some guy has snowballed out of control and become disgustingly OP (except Illidan. Screw that guy). Those people just sadly exist in online games.

Get Sgt. Hammer. Highest Siege damage in any match I've ever played, because attack range increase over time is OP as hell early game.

Ahhzz

Staff member
True, true.... I haven't played either of the big boys in years, but I do remember a lot more vitriol in those games than just the one time in mine.... Guess I'm over sensitive heheh :)

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
True, true.... I haven't played either of the big boys in years, but I do remember a lot more vitriol in those games than just the one time in mine.... Guess I'm over sensitive heheh :)

Strangely enough, if you play URF or ARAM in League, 99% of the players are super nice people. Just seems to be standard 5v5 and ranked where all the angry teenagers live. Couple of friends of mine finally got HotS access the other day, so I might join at some point soon. This week's a busy one though.

System Name Rainbow Puke Machine :D
Processor Intel Core i5-11400 (MCE enabled, PL removed)
Motherboard ASUS STRIX B560-G GAMING WIFI mATX
Cooling Corsair H60i RGB PRO XT AIO + HD120 RGB (x3) + SP120 RGB PRO (x3) + Commander PRO
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB RT 2 x 8GB 3200MHz DDR4 C16
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX2060 Twin Fan 6GB GDDR6 (Stock)
Storage Corsair MP600 PRO 1TB M.2 PCIe Gen4 x4 SSD
Display(s) LG 29WK600-W Ultrawide 1080p IPS Monitor (primary display)
Case Corsair iCUE 220T RGB Airflow (White) w/Lighting Node CORE + Lighting Node PRO RGB LED Strips (x4).
Audio Device(s) ASUS ROG Supreme FX S1220A w/ Savitech SV3H712 AMP + Sonic Studio 3 suite
Power Supply Corsair RM750x 80 Plus Gold Fully Modular
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB FPS Gaming (White)
Keyboard Corsair K60 PRO RGB Mechanical w/ Cherry VIOLA Switches
VR HMD Pico 4 128GB AIO VR Headset* (* = in consideration of getting one)
Software Windows 10 Professional x64 (Update 22H2)
I still got 4 keys in my mail. Who wants it do PM me ya~