• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Reports 2015 First Quarter Results

AMD today announced revenue for the first quarter of 2015 of $1.03 billion, operating loss of $137 million and net loss of $180 million, or $0.23 per share. Non-GAAP operating loss was $30 million and non-GAAP net loss was $73 million, or $0.09 per share.

"Building great products, driving deeper customer relationships and simplifying our business remain the right long-term steps to strengthen AMD and improve our financial performance," said Dr. Lisa Su, AMD president and CEO. "Under the backdrop of a challenging PC environment, we are focused on improving our near-term financial results and delivering a stronger second half of the year based on completing our work to rebalance channel inventories and shipping strong new products."

Q1 2015 Results
  • Revenue of $1.03 billion, down 17 percent sequentially and 26 percent year-over-year.
  • Gross margin of 32 percent, up 3 percentage points sequentially, primarily due to a lower of cost or market inventory adjustment in Q4 2014. Non-GAAP gross margin of 32 percent, decreased 2 percentage points sequentially due to product mix and lower game console royalties in the first quarter.
  • Operating loss of $137 million, compared to an operating loss of $330 million for the prior quarter, which included a goodwill impairment and a lower of cost or market inventory adjustment in Q4 2014. Non-GAAP operating loss of $30 million, compared to non-GAAP operating income of $52 million in Q4 2014, primarily due to lower revenue and gross margin.
  • Net loss of $180 million, loss per share of $0.23, and non-GAAP net loss of $73 million, non-GAAP loss per share of $0.09, compared to a net loss of $364 million, loss per share of $0.47 and non-GAAP net income of $18 million, non-GAAP earnings per share of $0.02 in Q4 2014.
  • Cash, cash equivalents and marketable securities were $906 million at the end of the quarter, down $134 million from the end of the prior quarter.
  • Total debt at the end of the quarter was $2.27 billion, up $56 million from the prior quarter.

Other Corporate Events
  • As a part of the strategy to simplify and sharpen the company's investment focus, AMD is exiting the dense server systems business, formerly SeaMicro, effective immediately.
    AMD recorded $75 million of special charges in Q1 2015 primarily related to impairment of previously acquired intangible assets.
  • AMD entered into a fifth amendment to our Wafer Supply Agreement with GLOBALFOUNDRIES. AMD expects to purchase approximately $1 billion in wafers in 2015, in line with the company's current market expectations.

Financial Segment Summary
  • Computing and Graphics segment revenue decreased 20 percent sequentially and 38 percent from Q1 2014. The sequential decrease was primarily due to lower desktop and notebook processor sales and the annual decrease was driven by lower desktop processor sales and GPU channel sales.
    Operating loss was $75 million, compared with an operating loss of $56 million in Q4 2014 and operating income of $3 million in Q1 2014. The sequential decrease was primarily driven by lower desktop and notebook processor sales, partially offset by lower operating expenses. The year-over-year decrease was primarily driven by lower desktop processor sales.
    Client average selling price (ASP) decreased sequentially and increased year-over-year primarily driven by processor product sales mix.
    GPU ASP increased sequentially primarily due to higher channel GPU and Professional Graphics ASPs and decreased year-over-year primarily due to a lower channel ASP.
  • Enterprise, Embedded and Semi-Custom segment revenue decreased 14 percent sequentially, primarily driven by seasonally lower sales of semi-custom SoCs. The year-over-year decrease of 7 percent was primarily driven by lower server processor sales.
    Operating income was $45 million compared with $109 million in Q4 2014 and $85 million in Q1 2014, primarily due to lower game console royalties, product mix and higher R&D spending.
  • All Other category operating loss was $107 million compared with losses of $383 million in Q4 2014 and $39 million in Q1 2014. The sequential decrease was primarily due to the absence of the Q4 2014 goodwill impairment of $233 million and the lower of cost or market inventory adjustment of $58 million. The year-over-year increase was primarily due to $87 million restructuring and other special charges, consisting primarily of $75 million related to the exiting of the dense server systems business.

Recent Highlights
  • AMD provided details of the energy efficiency and design advances in the upcoming A-Series APU (codenamed "Carrizo") which is expected to deliver double digit percentage increases in both performance and battery life compared to the previous generation.
  • AMD joined other HSA Foundation members including ARM, LG Electronics, MediaTek, Qualcomm, and Samsung to release the HSA 1.0 specification, bringing the industry one step closer to delivering true heterogeneous computing across the billons of modern SoCs powering mobile devices, desktop PCs, high-performance computing (HPC) systems, and servers.
  • Adoption of AMD's high-performance APUs in key embedded markets continued with new product introductions from Samsung Electronics, GE Intelligent Platforms and Fujitsu.
  • AMD continued to secure new design wins and expand ecosystem support for the AMD FirePro professional graphics cards and server GPUs.
    With the addition of the second-generation HP ZBook 14 G2 and 15u G2 Mobile Workstations, AMD FirePro professional graphics are now available in high-end to entry-level HP ZBook solutions.
    The AMD FirePro server GPU is now available on the HP ProLiant DL380 Gen9, the world's best-selling server, targeting a variety of specialized applications including Academic and Government clusters, Oil and Gas research, and Deep Neural Networks.
  • Acer, BenQ and LG Electronics began offering displays supporting AMD FreeSync technology, designed to enable fluid gaming and video playback at virtually any frame. Asus, Nixeus, Samsung and Viewsonic have also announced plans to introduce new monitors supporting the technology in the first half of 2015.
  • AMD announced the LiquidVR initiative in close collaboration with key technology partners to deliver the next-generation of Virtual Reality capable of delivering immersive awareness where situations, objects, or characters within the virtual world seem "real."
  • AMD continued fostering the development of the 64-bit ARM-based server and embedded ecosystem with announcements that a growing base of operating systems and hypervisors will support AMD's forthcoming 64-bit ARM processor. In addition to OpenSUSE13.2, the Linux 3.19 kernel, Fedora 21 and Xen 4.5 will all support the AMD Opteron A1100 Series processor.

Current Outlook
For Q2 2015, AMD expects revenue to decrease 3 percent, plus or minus 3 percent, sequentially.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Fx

Processor Ryzen 2600x
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Noctua
Memory G.SKILL Flare X Series 16GB DDR4 3466
Video Card(s) EVGA 980ti FTW
Storage (OS)Samsung 950 Pro (512GB), (Data) WD Reds
Display(s) 24" Dell UltraSharp U2412M
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser GAME ONE
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 650 P2
Mouse Mionix Castor
Keyboard Deck Hassium Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
I would like to know how a company can afford to operate over years of revenue loss.

I have been watching AMD for years now thinking that surely they would turn the corner sooner or later, but it just doesn't seem to happen.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory Team Group Dark Pro 8Pack Edition 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 FE
Storage Kingston A2000 1TB + Seagate HDD workhorse
Display(s) Samsung 50" QN94A Neo QLED
Case Antec 1200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11
System Name my box
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi x470 Ultimate
Cooling NZXT Kraken x72
Memory 2×16GiB @ 3200MHz, some Corsair RGB led meme crap
Video Card(s) AMD [ASUS ROG STRIX] Radeon RX Vega64 [OC Edition]
Storage Samsung 970 Pro && 2× Seagate IronWolf Pro 4TB in Raid 1
Display(s) Asus VG278H + Asus VH226H
Case Fractal Design Define R6 Black TG
Audio Device(s) Using optical S/PDIF output lol
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i
Mouse Razer Naga Epic
Keyboard Keychron Q1
Software Funtoo Linux
Benchmark Scores 217634.24 BogoMIPS
i cri evri tym

I would like to know how a company can afford to operate over years of revenue loss.

I have been watching AMD for years now thinking that surely they would turn the corner sooner or later, but it just doesn't seem to happen.
Companies usually don't die until they are unable to function completely. AMD is in the red but their still have almost a billion dollars in cash and this can drive their business for a while even with the debt they currently have. At the rate they are going, they will die in about years or so if nothing changes. Its actually unlikely to happen because they are downsizing a lot and they are looking like they are turning around at least on the financial side in terms of managing their debt and keeping their margins stable.

They don't seem to be in massive internal panic yet so they probably expect to be able to hold steady for a while. They do have roadmaps for at least 5 more years.

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10

Well, basically they keep borrowing to service their past debt and they borrow more to service the new debt from borrowing to service their past debt. It's a black hole of debt that is engulfing them. I don't see any way out from this other than Samsung buying them and putting the inept AMD management out and infusing capital for R&D. AMD went from over a 40 billion market cap to a 2 billion market cap in the last 9 years. This is mostly where I see AMD right now

http://www.investopedia.com/stock-a...oblems-facing-advanced-micro-devices-amd.aspx

System Name MoneySink
Processor 2600K @ 4.8
Motherboard P8Z77-V
Cooling AC NexXxos XT45 360, RayStorm, D5T+XSPC tank, Tygon R-3603, Bitspower
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600C8
Video Card(s) GTX 780 SLI (EVGA SC ACX + Giga GHz Ed.)
Storage Kingston HyperX SSD (128) OS, WD RE4 (1TB), RE2 (1TB), Cav. Black (2 x 500GB), Red (4TB)
Display(s) Achieva Shimian QH270-IPSMS (2560x1440) S-IPS
Case NZXT Switch 810
Audio Device(s) onboard Realtek yawn edition
Power Supply Seasonic X-1050
Software Win8.1 Pro
Benchmark Scores 3.5 litres of Pale Ale in 18 minutes.
Confirmation of what some of us had been fearing for some time....so AMD have gone from blaming the lack of software, to admitting that their implementation was too slow to realize actual product.
Kind of makes you wonder what special sauce companies like Cavium with their 48-core ARM SOC's utilise to get their product range up to speed so quickly.
I don't see any way out from this other than Samsung buying them and putting the inept AMD management out and infusing capital for R&D. AMD went from over a 40 billion market cap to a 2 billion market cap in the last 9 years. This is mostly where I see AMD right now
Fear not, Jorge will be here shortly to tell us that the company is just playing possum and that their next initiative is the one that will lead to world domination. It's really only a matter of time....really! :fear:

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
While I love my AMD cpu, I have to say it is hard to fell bad for them. They dug their own hole to sit in with bulldozer. they KNEW it sucked, they HAD k10 working on 32nm, a 32nm phenom IIx6 with modern instruction sets would have been much more competitive, but they just dumped cash into bulldozer, loosing marketshare in the process.

Then they pull the same junk with GCN. the 7000 series was fantastic, the 7970 could compete with nvidia's high end 680, and sold very well. so what did they do? nothing. they sat on it, from late 2011 until late 2013, then released the 290 and 290x to compete with the 700 series. while nvidia was working on making the hyper-efficient maxwell architecture, AMD was chasing mantle and trueaudio. say what you will about sparking dx12, but giving up your GPU profits to drive the industry forward doesnt work well when you dont have billions to loose. GCN 1.2 wasn't much of an improvement, with the r9 285 being slightly more efficient, but nothing to write home about.

So now, its been 3 1/2 years, and amd is still selling the same arch. it is long overdue for replacement, and hopefully the 300 series has it, if the 300s barely improve though, AMD will not weather it well. at all.

And it's bitten them hard. their marketshare of gpus is as pitiful as their cpu market now, the power-sucking r9 290x being matched in performance by the geforce 970, which is the same price and pulls less than half the power. their inefficiency has lost them the mobile gpu market, while their anemic cpu plops them only in budget low end laptops, with intel stealing the market. hitting deadlines may be hard, but AMD was 11 months late launching their a8-7600, which killed quite a bit of their demand for the thing. now, they don't have the R+D to fight either of their competitors, and they cant keep loosing money forever. something tells me that AMD wont survive much longer without being bought out or selling a majority control to a separate company.

EDIT: just read about amd closing seamicro. there goes another $334 million.....

Last edited:

v12dock

Block Caption of Rainey Street
Supporter
Very talented engineers with just awful management. Samsung needs to buy them their chip tech and fab tech is top notch.

System Name MoneySink
Processor 2600K @ 4.8
Motherboard P8Z77-V
Storage Kingston HyperX SSD (128) OS, WD RE4 (1TB), RE2 (1TB), Cav. Black (2 x 500GB), Red (4TB)
Case NZXT Switch 810
Software Win8.1 Pro
Very talented engineers with just awful management. Samsung needs to buy them their chip tech and fab tech is top notch.
Pretty much.
The comparisons between DEC and AMD go further than commonality with personnel and IP. DEC was often described as good products in search of a good company. The same could be said of AMD.

System Name Juliette // HTPC
Processor Intel i7 9700K // AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard ASUS Prime Z390X-A // ASRock B550 ITX-AC
Cooling Noctua NH-U12 Black // Stock
Memory Corsair DDR4 3600 32gb //G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX4070 OC// GTX 1650
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1Tb, Intel 665p Series M.2 2280 1TB // Samsung 1Tb SSD
Display(s) ASUS VP348QGL 34" Quad HD 3440 x 1440 // 55" LG 4K SK8000 Series
Case Seasonic SYNCRO Q7// Silverstone Granada GD05
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 // HDMI to Samsung HW-R650 sound bar
Power Supply Seasonic SYNCRO 750 W // CORSAIR Vengeance 650M
Mouse Cooler Master MM710 53G
Keyboard Logitech 920-009300 G512 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro // Windows 10 Pro
I really hope R9-390 series and upcoming Zen processor will turn their revenue into black numbers...
If it doesn't they are in trouble. Big time

System Name My baby
Processor Athlon II X4 620 @ 3.5GHz, 1.45v, NB @ 2700Mhz, HT @ 2700Mhz - 24hr prime95 stable
Motherboard Asus M4A785TD-V EVO
Cooling Sonic Tower Rev 2 with 120mm Akasa attached, Akasa @ Front, Xilence Red Wing 120mm @ Rear
Memory 8 GB G.Skills 1600Mhz
Video Card(s) ATI ASUS Crossfire 5850
Storage Crucial MX100 SATA 2.5 SSD
Display(s) Lenovo ThinkVision 27" (LEN P27h-10)
Case Antec VSK 2000 Black Tower Case
Audio Device(s) Onkyo TX-SR309 Receiver, 2x Kef Cresta 1, 1x Kef Center 20c
Power Supply OCZ StealthXstream II 600w, 4x12v/18A, 80% efficiency.
Software Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
While I love my AMD cpu, I have to say it is hard to fell bad for them. They dug their own hole to sit in with bulldozer. they KNEW it sucked, they HAD k10 working on 32nm, a 32nm phenom IIx6 with modern instruction sets would have been much more competitive, but they just dumped cash into bulldozer, loosing marketshare in the process.

Then they pull the same junk with GCN. the 7000 series was fantastic, the 7970 could compete with nvidia's high end 680, and sold very well. so what did they do? nothing. they sat on it, from late 2011 until late 2013, then released the 290 and 290x to compete with the 700 series. while nvidia was working on making the hyper-efficient maxwell architecture, AMD was chasing mantle and trueaudio. say what you will about sparking dx12, but giving up your GPU profits to drive the industry forward doesnt work well when you dont have billions to loose. GCN 1.2 wasn't much of an improvement, with the r9 285 being slightly more efficient, but nothing to write home about.

So now, its been 3 1/2 years, and amd is still selling the same arch. it is long overdue for replacement, and hopefully the 300 series has it, if the 300s barely improve though, AMD will not weather it well. at all.

And it's bitten them hard. their marketshare of gpus is as pitiful as their cpu market now, the power-sucking r9 290x being matched in performance by the geforce 970, which is the same price and pulls less than half the power. their inefficiency has lost them the mobile gpu market, while their anemic cpu plops them only in budget low end laptops, with intel stealing the market. hitting deadlines may be hard, but AMD was 11 months late launching their a8-7600, which killed quite a bit of their demand for the thing. now, they don't have the R+D to fight either of their competitors, and they cant keep loosing money forever. something tells me that AMD wont survive much longer without being bought out or selling a majority control to a separate company.

EDIT: just read about amd closing seamicro. there goes another $334 million.....

Your theory is incorrect.

Turnover and profit relies mostly on marketing efforts, contracts secured, business operation efficiency etc. Product performance, not so much.

System Name My White Theme Desktop PC
Processor 4770k / 4670k
Motherboard ASUS
Cooling CM 412 slim
Memory Kingston 8GB DDR3-1600
Video Card(s) GTX 770 / GTX 670
Storage Kingston SSD v300 120GB + 1TB Black + 1TB Green + 1TB Green + 1TB Blue
Display(s) 23" Philips IPS White Slim x 3 / Acer
Case Thermaltake Revo White Snow Edition / Cooler Master
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster 5.1
Power Supply AC 650w 80+ bronze x 2 White
i have 3 desktops, all running intel or nvidia system... However, i really want AMD to be a successfull company. Monopolize by intel and nvidia will only bring BAD news to consumer. Imagine if AMD is gone, Intel processor n Nvidia GPU price will be really high...

I am holding my $$$ now for 390 or 390x.

This year is going to be a tough one on AMD. If they survive; however, they could turn the tide next year.
And Speaking of AMD's chips, it seems that AMD's cheap 8 core FX CPUs are beating the hell out of Intel's more expensive quad core ones in the new 3Dmark DX12 overhead benchmark by up to 40% more draw calls.
The 290X is doing as well as the Titan X in that benchmark in draw call consumption.

System Name SnowFire / The Reinforcer
Processor i7 10700K 5.1ghz (24/7) / 2x Xeon E52650v2
Motherboard Asus Strix Z490 / Dell Dual Socket (R720)
Cooling RX 360mm + 140mm Custom Loop / Dell Stock
Memory Corsair RGB 16gb DDR4 3000 CL 16 / DDR3 128gb 16 x 8gb
Video Card(s) GTX Titan XP (2025mhz) / Asus GTX 950 (No Power Connector)
Storage Samsung 970 1tb NVME and 2tb HDD x4 RAID 5 / 300gb x8 RAID 5
Display(s) Acer XG270HU, Samsung G7 Odyssey (1440p 240hz)
Case Thermaltake Cube / Dell Poweredge R720 Rack Mount Case
Audio Device(s) Realtec ALC1150 (On board)
Power Supply Rosewill Lightning 1300Watt / Dell Stock 750 / Brick
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Logitech G19S
Software Windows 11 Pro / Windows Server 2016

As far as the CPU goes, they made a bad gamble expecting the market/programmers to keep fopcusing on multi-threading apps and that games/applications would benefit more from massive amounts of cores. Bulldozer is good for a server environment where VM's dominate more than anything but pitiful for everywhere else (Except maybe an inexpensive rendering machine or similar).

As for the GPU's, its nothing out of the normal for them, they did a similar strategy with VLIW so I really expected them to stick to it a little longer. You can always build a better chip and continue to call it whatever you want, the only thing that really holds them back this round would be the re-badging or products and not the fact they are "still" using GCN.

To top if off, they perform just fine in most areas as performance especially in GPU's is not their primary concern considering their old GPU's are still in competition with NVidia's new GPU's. OEM's are their problem as they have a lackluster following of OEM's willing to put their products into action especially in the more dominant mobile and server markets. Even if Zen came to the floor, gave us an 8 core CPU with a 75watt tdp, performance clock to clock with Intel newest architecture, and was surprisingly affordable it would still make very little impact unless they had a ton of OEM's buying up those CPU's for their machines like hot cakes.

I really hope R9-390 series and upcoming Zen processor will turn their revenue into black numbers...
We all do, but those OEM's need to buy their products...Maybe they will finally change their tune after Intel basically "forced" oems to stop using AMD products and go back to properly considering more than one company for their chips in their machines.

All we can hope for is better products and OEM's to start buying them...

Processor i7 7700k
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
Overall the NASDAQ is down about 1.5% right now but AMD is down over 14%. If I knew that Samsung was going to buy AMD I would be all over their stock right now because there is a potential for a lot of money to be made right now but as it stands they seem like a bad risk.

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
Oh $hit....
Their crappy CPUs are killing them slowly. The only department keeping them afloat is the GPU one.
If they will fail again with the next CPU, not to mention GPU, they will be doomed for sure.
This sucks because nobody will want a monopoly on GPUs and CPUs....

System Name My baby
Processor Athlon II X4 620 @ 3.5GHz, 1.45v, NB @ 2700Mhz, HT @ 2700Mhz - 24hr prime95 stable
Motherboard Asus M4A785TD-V EVO
Cooling Sonic Tower Rev 2 with 120mm Akasa attached, Akasa @ Front, Xilence Red Wing 120mm @ Rear
Memory 8 GB G.Skills 1600Mhz
Video Card(s) ATI ASUS Crossfire 5850
Storage Crucial MX100 SATA 2.5 SSD
Display(s) Lenovo ThinkVision 27" (LEN P27h-10)
Case Antec VSK 2000 Black Tower Case
Audio Device(s) Onkyo TX-SR309 Receiver, 2x Kef Cresta 1, 1x Kef Center 20c
Power Supply OCZ StealthXstream II 600w, 4x12v/18A, 80% efficiency.
Software Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
Well, you can't exactly secure OEM's if you can't showcase decent performance...

Says who? They've been securing OEMs for decades. They are in the business of securing OEMs.

What is decent performance? What task will the OEMs be unimpressed with?

OEMs don't care much about performs. They care about profit margin and AMD's ability to supply the volume they need on demand

I know you have a hardware fascination, but it doesn't always apply to business.

Last edited:
Although it is painful, I think AMD should stop producing CPUs.

Let me explain:

1. They could focus on GPU, they're slightly behind but still in the game and nvidia demonstrated that you can turn a nice profit from GPU alone.
2. Let Intel handle the anti-monopoly cases all over the world. They will either get split into 2 or will be forced to provide a license to another third party.
3. Intel and AMD have cross licensing agreements, but I doubt they can just provide AMD tech (like x64) to a third party which means AMD, might get royalties from there as well.
4. Points 2 and 3 alone could persuade Intel to "finance" AMD with let's say 10 billion, to get them re-start in the CPU business.
5. If Intel will argue that there is a competitor in ARM, then most likely Microsoft will be dragged into this and will be forced to make proper desktop software for ARM as well, with everything required for businesses not that limited RT.

6. ARM is getting pretty strong anyway and it is time to be considered for desktop - Exynos 7420 gets ~1500 single core and ~5500 multi-core in geekbench which is close to Core 2 Quad 3Ghz which was a decent cpu and good enough for desktop related activities (browsing, movies, working) even by today standards, and with the right push from the government we could be really having a nice competitive ecosystem going forward.

System Name MoneySink
Processor 2600K @ 4.8
Motherboard P8Z77-V
Case NZXT Switch 810
Software Win8.1 Pro
Says who? They've been securing OEMs for decades. They are in the business of securing OEMs.
Not enough, and not at the margins that are required.
Check the specifications of OEMs Intel based machines versus those AMD-based. Quite a disparity in feature set and pricing.
A second case in point is the (what amounts to giveaway) pricing AMD are absorbing in order to secure Apple contracts. Take the Mac Pro for example. The system comes supplied with dual D500 FirePro's (essentially a cut down W8000 which retail at $1K a pop), but can be upgraded to dual D700's ( basically W9000's which retail for ~$2800 each) for a measly $600 total. AMD is essentially buying Apple's partnership.
OEMs don't care much about performs. They care about profit margin and AMD's ability to supply the volume they need on demand
That is only partly true. The enterprise sector - entirely OEM - is predicated upon performance - performance per watt, and performance per core. Intel's Xeon based systems are generally more expensive than Opteron, but they now account for 98.3 or 98.5% of x86 server sales depending whether you use IDC or Gartners/Mercury Research's market share figures.
What task will the OEMs be unimpressed with?
Lack of new product and a severe lack of timetable adherence spring to mind. The whole SeaMicro fiasco with its lofty claims when launched, cant have instilled much in the way of confidence for potential customers ( Quite where this leaves their only substantial customer, Verizon, should be interesting).
1. They could focus on GPU, they're slightly behind but still in the game and nvidia demonstrated that you can turn a nice profit from GPU alone.
Maybe AMD should have accepted Jen-Hsun as CEO of a merged AMD and Nvidia!
2. Let Intel handle the anti-monopoly cases all over the world. They will either get split into 2 or will be forced to provide a license to another third party.
The Cross-license agreement renewed last year appears to make allowance for a transition in much the same way that National Semiconductor was able to transfer its x86 licence to VIA. The sticking point would probably be outright overseas ownership of AMD by a non-approved DoJ/DoD country, especially if AMD has ongoing DoD contracts.
3. Intel and AMD have cross licensing agreements, but I doubt they can just provide AMD tech (like x64) to a third party which means AMD, might get royalties from there as well.
AMD won't go broke. Intel won't allow them to. If that were the intention, Intel would have ramped up CPU and chipset production to its fabs full capacity and cut prices to the bone for a few financial quarters - not as if the company couldn't absorb the loss of profit. The cross licence x86 / x86-64 is part of it, but there is other IP involved. AMD can survive as a smaller company on non-x86 returns - pretty much as it is doing now, but being on life support means less money for R&D and a slower (and smaller) product cadence.
4. Points 2 and 3 alone could persuade Intel to "finance" AMD with let's say 10 billion, to get them re-start in the CPU business.
Not with ARM becoming a viable competitor. Companies are forced to split in a monopoly situation, but very rarely. IBM was threatened numerous times with breakup (as was Microsoft), but a monopoly situation generally has to also entail undercutting to gain unfair advantage - something Intel has done in the past, and probably skirts with Contra Revenue funding of SoC's, but Intel's desktop and enterprise businesses can't be accused of the same practice at present. Intel wins by default simply by being the only company turning over new product and design on a regular basis.
5. If Intel will argue that there is a competitor in ARM, then most likely Microsoft will be dragged into this and will be forced to make proper desktop software for ARM as well, with everything required for businesses not that limited RT.
Probably. Google are already under scrutiny at the other end of that horizon. ARM maybe isn't a true competitor at the moment, but monopoly breakups aren't trivial matters and the DoJ and FTO would need to consider a rapidly approaching future where RISC obviously plays a larger role.

Last edited:

Processor i7 7700k
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
This sucks because nobody will want a monopoly on GPUs and CPUs....

Agreed. I will leave the monopoly ramifications to the lawyers but I see two serious problems if AMD should bankrupt. Higher prices from Intel and Nvidia and even worse a lack of incentive to advance the tech.

I was hopeful that AMD providing the chips for the consoles would gain them some profit but this hasn't happened. Looking at the basic fundamentals for each company last year

Revenue, Net Income, Net Profit Margin

Intel 52.71 billion, 9.62 billion, 20.95%

Nvidia 4.68 billion, 630.6 million, 13.47%

AMD 5.51 billion, -403 million, -7.32%

Turnover and profit relies mostly on marketing efforts, contracts secured, business operation efficiency etc. Product performance, not so much.

You have it upside down. Product performance is the thing that allows these other aspects to exist. When you have a good product, marketing and securing contracts is easy. If the product sucks, no amount of marketing can save it.

AMD won't go broke. Intel won't allow them to. If that were the intention, Intel would have ramped up CPU and chipset production to its fabs full capacity and cut prices to the bone for a few financial quarters - not as if the company couldn't absorb the loss of profit.

Yes, Nvidia and Intel both want AMD to keep floundering at a low level, rather than go bankrupt. It's the best situation for them, as the alternatives are likely to be worse. Which means we will see slow progress and higher prices in GPUs and CPUs unless AMD or another company manages to force some real competition.