• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The Science behind internet trolls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 39 / Windows 11 insider
The internet is just one big playing field for pretty much any falsehood.

That's also false truth... it is kind of a zoo... there a monkeys, elephants, zebras and dinosaurs like me :D pretty much the perception of truth, things is kind of mixed bag. I consider TPU really a solid piece of community except of some personalities that should be spanked, so it is NOT the right field for experiments. The most important thing is the balance of not becoming sold out, geek, fan boy, idiot etc trend... But here the faulty idiots got spanked fast, so I like here... less stressful reading...(that's the most important thing in my opinion) I I like dark humor really(especially British), like most of us... if it is timid and played well, I can take any kind of joke.

System Name Windows 10 64-bit Core i7 6700
Processor Intel Core i7 6700
Motherboard Asus Z170M-PLUS
Cooling Corsair AIO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Kingston DDR4 2666
Video Card(s) Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB, Seagate Baracuda 1 TB
Display(s) Dell P2414H
Case Corsair Carbide Air 540
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair TX v2 650W
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard CM Storm Quickfire Pro, Cherry MX Reds
Software MS Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
There is a huge difference between being a Troll and acting as one.
An acting troll walks the fine line made of dark humor and gets to be called an imp.
An actual troll is truly a kind of a sociopath that trolls in real life as much as online.
How to distinguish the two? Simple. The actual trolling situation can't be defused with humor.

CAPSLOCKSTUCK

Spaced Out Lunar Tick
System Name Party On
Processor Xeon w 3520
Motherboard DFI Lanparty
Cooling Big tower thing
Memory 6 gb Ballistix Tracer
Video Card(s) HD 7970
Case a plank of wood
Audio Device(s) seperate amp and 6 big speakers
Power Supply Corsair
Mouse cheap
Keyboard under going restoration
Twitter's top lawyer has admitted it has been ‘inexcusably slow’ in tackling online trolls who make the lives of others a misery.
Vijaya Gadde said the social network had let internet abuse go ‘unchecked’ because it did not recognise the scope and scale of the problem.
Miss Gadde said Twitter had tripled the size of the team that deals with online abuse – because it had to do better.
She made the announcement on the day a study found that 88 per cent of abusive behaviour on social media happens on Twitter.
Anti-bullying campaigners have also long complained that Twitter is a sanctuary for trolls who post hateful abuse behind the veil of anonymity.
In an article for the Washington Post, Miss Gadde said that running Twitter required constant vigilance but that the company had ‘failed to live up to’ this aim.
She admitted that ‘our response times have been inexcusably slow and the substance of our responses too meagre’.

Miss Gadde wrote: ‘This is, to put it mildly, not good enough.

‘Freedom of expression means little as our underlying philosophy if we continue to allow voices to be silenced because they are afraid to speak up. We need to do a better job combating abuse without chilling or silencing speech’.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...finds-88-abuse-social-media-happens-site.html

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
@CAPSLOCKSTUCK Good find there, buddy.

I didn't know that trolling was so rampant on Twitter. :nutkick: The platform has never really interested me, with its deliberately tiny character limit, so I've not seen any of this other than the odd quoted post in news articles or forum posts. Glad to be out of it, frankly.

Last edited:
System Name Desktop / Laptop
Processor AMD Ryzen R7 5600x / Intel i5-4200U
Motherboard ASUS TUF B550-Plus / Lenovo MB
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / Stock
Memory Corsair Vengeance 2x16GB DDR 3800 / 8GB DDR3-1600MHz
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 6900XT / Intel HD 4400
Storage 2.5TB SSDs + 4TB HDD / Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB
Display(s) 34" LG Ultrawide / 12.5 " 1080p IPS Touchscreen
Case Fractal Design R6 / Lenovo X240
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Onboard
Power Supply Enermax REVOLUTION87+ 1000W / Lenovo 40W
Mouse Razer Basilisk X
Keyboard Dell Business Multimedia Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
Benchmark Scores Chicken Invaders 5 @125+ FPS
In today's world someone somewhere will always be offended by what someone else said or did

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Keyboard Yes
@krusha03 While that's true in some ways, in this context it's the trolls who set out to deliberately offend and cause drama, but then accuse others of being "butthurt" to project their malicious activities onto their victims and deflect the blame away from themselves and have a laugh at those others' expense. It's just old fashioned bullying being done online. So no, it's not "butthurt", but their targets biting back and slapping them down just like they deserve.

CAPSLOCKSTUCK

Spaced Out Lunar Tick
System Name Party On
Processor Xeon w 3520
Motherboard DFI Lanparty
Cooling Big tower thing
Memory 6 gb Ballistix Tracer
Video Card(s) HD 7970
Case a plank of wood
Audio Device(s) seperate amp and 6 big speakers
Power Supply Corsair
Mouse cheap
Keyboard under going restoration
In the UK at least, more and more people are prosecuted for being abusive online.

The old adage "sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me" doesnt really hold true anymore.

Mouse Razer Basilisk X
@krusha03 While that's true in some ways, in this context it's the trolls who set out to deliberately offend and cause drama, but then accuse others of being "butthurt" to project their malicious activities onto their victims and deflect the blame away from themselves and have a laugh at those others' expense. It's just old fashioned bullying being done online. So no, it's not "butthurt", but their targets biting back and slapping them down just like they deserve.

Call me a troll but i think it's people being stupid. Why am I not a victim of this cyber bullying? There are ways to protect yourself and prevent it. Why do kids have facebook? Why to parents allow them to have "gaming streams" (look up twitch raid)? While i don't understand the people going out of their way to make these things, giving access to a complete stranger to your PC and getting it formatted is your own damn fault.

Finally wrt to having a laugh at others expense, well if you post stupid shit I can call you on it and laugh at you for being stupid. (i dont mean you @qubit specifically but in general because sometimes when i see things on my facebook news feed facepalm is not enough)

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
In today's world someone somewhere will always be offended by what someone else said or did

True, I think in some cases it's people speaking their mind and others being offended, intentional or not, other times it is inflammatory remarks meant to incite a reaction.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
Call me a troll but i think it's people being stupid. Why am I not a victim of this cyber bullying? There are ways to protect yourself and prevent it. Why do kids have facebook? Why to parents allow them to have "gaming streams" (look up twitch raid)? While i don't understand the people going out of their way to make these things, giving access to a complete stranger to your PC and getting it formatted is your own damn fault.

Finally wrt to having a laugh at others expense, well if you post stupid shit I can call you on it and laugh at you for being stupid. (i dont mean you @qubit specifically but in general because sometimes when i see things on my facebook news feed facepalm is not enough)
Nah, you're not a troll. :toast:

So, how and why do trolls/bullies pick their targets? I'm not sure there's a definitive answer to that one and I certainly don't have it. It's a bit like what makes people team up as friends or life partners I guess. It's just not a defnite answer, even for the people involved.

You say people can defend themselves against it. Well, that's only true in some scenarios like the one I mentioned above, but now take this example: a family loses a small child to some murderer who plucked them from the street eg toddler Jamie Bulger.

It's a really horrible crime with devastating consequences for that child and all their friends and family. The family then create a Facebook page to honour their dead child. Amongst all the well-wishers, you then get an undercurrent of spiteful, hateful, inflammatory comments from some sick people, designed to hurt those family, friends and other FB users of that page. What then? Is it somehow those victims' fault, or is it the complete fault of the assholes who make those nasty comments? The answer is obviously the blame rests with those trolls. How are the victims supposed to "defend" against it? Make a smartass reply back? That's not the answer is it? It's really best that those comments never showed up in the first place. Do you have an answer to this scenario?

Cooling Corsair AIO
Display(s) Dell P2414H
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Psychology is a bitch.
Let me be blunt, implying that someone is "butthurt" is so obviously saying "I just fucked you in the ass and I know it hurts because I wasn't gentle" or "I just watched that other guy fuck you in the ass, that's gotta hurt, don't mind me masturbating"...
I know there was a point to all this, something homoerotic, but I lost it.

Mouse Razer Basilisk X
Nah, you're not a troll. :toast:

So, how and why do trolls/bullies pick their targets? I'm not sure there's a definitive answer to that one and I certainly don't have it. It's a bit like what makes people team up as friends or life partners I guess. It's just not a defnite answer, even for the people involved.

You say people can defend themselves against it. Well, that's only true in some scenarios like the one I mentioned above, but now take this example: a family loses a small child to some murderer who plucked them from the street eg toddler Jamie Bulger.

It's a really horrible crime with devastating consequences for that child and all their friends and family. The family then create a Facebook page to honour their dead child. Amongst all the well-wishers, you then get an undercurrent of spiteful, hateful, inflammatory comments from some sick people, designed to hurt those family, friends and other FB users of that page. What then? Is it somehow those victims' fault, or is it the complete fault of the assholes who make those nasty comments? The answer is obviously the blame rests with those trolls. How are the victims supposed to "defend" against it? Make a smartass reply back? That's not the answer is it? It's really best that those comments never showed up in the first place. Do you have an answer to this scenario?
Simple

Option 1: make the page a person profile then you can select who can post on it
Option 2 (and for me the more sensible one): Don't open a facebook page because these are things that should be shared with close friends and family and not random strangers. You will get a lot of "that's tragic. RIP. He is in a better place" messages. So what? It's not gonna bring the kid back and in reality not many people care anyway. How did we honor the dead before facebook again?

Psychology is a bitch.
Let me be blunt, implying that someone is "butthurt" is so obviously saying "I just fucked you in the ass and I know it hurts because I wasn't gentle" or "I just watched that other guy fuck you in the ass, that's gotta hurt, don't mind me masturbating"...
I know there was a point to all this, something homoerotic, but I lost it.

This is an example of what i meant by butthurt. Some people deserve a high five.... to their face.... with a chair
http://www.independent.co.uk/voices...-a-saviour-complex-to-rescue-me-10182308.html

Also to continue with your analogy what where you doing spreading your ass infront of a stranger anyway?

Cooling Corsair AIO
Display(s) Dell P2414H
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Also to continue with your analogy what where you doing spreading your ass infront of a stranger anyway?
Now that's a step in the right direction in defining what troll is : a patient observer of butcheeks to see when the grip will loosen

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
Simple

Option 1: make the page a person profile then you can select who can post on it
Option 2 (and for me the more sensible one): Don't open a facebook page because these are things that should be shared with close friends and family and not random strangers. You will get a lot of "that's tragic. RIP. He is in a better place" messages. So what? It's not gonna bring the kid back and in reality not many people care anyway. How did we honor the dead before facebook again?
That "solution" just sounds pithily convenient to me that doesn't really answer the question.

And yes, people should be able to open a public page to remember someone (or a pet) and not have to worry about getting anyone's approval for it - and certainly not be abused for it. Those multiple RIP messages might not mean anything to you, but they do to a lot of people and that's their right. Who are me and you to judge?

Finally, times change, technology changes and enables new things, therefore now people use Facebook and other online social platforms for these things. Nothing wrong with that at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.