• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GTX 970@1.5Ghz and 2500k vs Q9550 in 70+ benchmarks (+bonus i7-860)

Hello my friends.

It has been quite a while since I got my GTX 970 and since I had some spare hardware laying around, I thought that it would be interesting to test how it performs paired with various cpus. Well for me certainly it is. :D

So what I did, is benchmark this card in many games (custom gameplays and built in benchmarks), demos and stand alone benchmarks so we can see what to expect with different configurations.

To tell you the truth, the initial goal was to create a benchmark database, with a highly clocked i5-2500k and a GTX 970 @1.5Ghz. I wanted to have benchmark results without cpu limits, so I can compare them against future cards I get.

Under this scope, you must understand that this test is based primarily on a suite that was supposed to do GPU benchmarking, but since I was at it, the thought occur to see how older cpus would perform with real life gaming settings. Also consider this test, a tribute to older cpus, with which we had a lot of fun.

Of course since I decided to go on and test my other cpus, the benchmark suite deviated somewhat, that's why you will see framerate capped games in this suite, since after a point I wanted to see how the cpus would fair.

All in all then, it is a mixed test, with focus on the gpu but has the very important goal to inform people owning cpus with a varying degree of performance, what kind of gpu could their system handle and what to expect from it.

The good thing is that having this database ready, I can benchmark new graphics cards against the 970, only redoing benchmarks that are greatly affected by newer game versions or drivers. I could test similarly powered AMD graphics cards versus the 970, my 7950 CFX vs the 970 or I could just test AMD cards in cpu limited games to see how the AMD driver fairs. The possibilities are endless. But these are stories for another time. I still have this one to finish, lol.

To that goal, many game engines have been benchmarked, implemented on even more, very well or less known games.

Cry Engine, Frostbite, Dunia, Unreal, Anvil, Unigine, Asura, IW6, Hammer, Chrome, EGO, you name it, all have been benchmarked!

The test suite contains 70+ benchmark tests (dunno how many exactly but I guess they are more than 70 :p), that have produced 108 benchmark results.

My rigs are the following:

The 2500k system

Case: Coolermaster HAF 932
Mobo: Asrock P67 Extreme 6
RAM : 2X8GB TEAMGROUP Vulcan DDR3-2400 PC3 19200 CL 11-13-13-35
CPU : Intel Core i5-2500k @4.8Ghz
CPU cooler : Noctua NH D14
GPU : Gigabyte G1 GTX 970 @1.5Ghz
PSU : Coolermaster Silent Pro 1000W

The i7-860 system

Case: Thermaltake Armor
Mobo: MSI Big Bang Trinergy
RAM : 2X4GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-2000 PC3 16000 CL 9-11-9-29 1.60v
CPU : Intel Core i7-860 @4ghz
CPU cooler : Noctua NH U12P SE2
GPU : Gigabyte G1 GTX 970 @1.5Ghz
PSU : Enermax Galaxy 850W

The Q9550 system

Case: Coolermaster Elite 430 black
Mobo: Asus P5Q Deluxe
RAM : 4X2GB OCZ PC2-8000 Platinum DDR2 CL 5-5-5-18 2.10v
CPU : Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 E0 @4ghz
CPU cooler : Thermalright Ultra 120
GPU : Gigabyte G1 GTX 970 @1.5GHz
PSU : Nexus Silent Modular 850W PSU (RX-8500)

For all the tests, same settings and same game versions have been used. There is only one discrepancy in Far Cry 4, where I have used 1.8.0 for the Q9550 benchmark, 1.7.0 for the 2500k and 1.9.0 for the 860.

According to the 1.8.0 changelog, this patch contains no performance changes, so we are OK.
http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/far-cry-4-pc-patch-1-8.html
and afaik 1.9.0 only added the Valley of the Yeti DLC.

Now the semi ugly part comes to the driver versions used, because due to the sheer size of this benchmark suite, plus my Youtube uploads that took too long (will explain later), the benchmark suite has spanned four driver releases. 347.25, 347.52, 347.74 and 347.88. 350.12 has been used for all systems in GTA V, so that doesn't count.

The ugly part comes to the fact that I was using the new driver as I went, so the older drivers are used on the 2500k for which I did the benchmarks first, then newer drivers for the Q9550, then went back to add some benchmarks to the 2500k and now I am still doing the 860 benchmarks which will have the newer 350.12 drivers for half its benchmarks.

Just to come clean, I provide the release highlights, so you know what changed and how it affects this benchmark suite.
347.52 http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/81877/en-us only Alien Isolation, Dragon Age Inquisition and Grid Autosport are affected with low percentage performance increases
347.71 http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/geforce-347-71-driver-download.html no performance changes
347.88 http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/geforce-347-88-whql-driver-download.html Battlefield Hardline driver and some new SLI profiles, irrelevant with the validity of this test
350.12 http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/83819/en-us GTA V driver, which has been used for all GTA V tests in this suite anyway

So all in all, as you can see, we are OK. The performance improvements of 347.52 have gone to waste anyway, since the Q9550 was very cpu limited in these games. Maybe these improvements will help the 860 a bit, but we will see that in an update.

Now finally the time has come for the good part. The results!

I will provide the results in various ways. First there will be a text based vbulleting table, then some screenies from my excel file that contains the sum up in alphabetical order, sorted screenies by highest performance difference and of course graphs. Lots of them.

For now only the i5-2500k vs Q9550 results will be published, but I am halfway through for the i7-860. On the 860 I will only test the most cpu limited games/benchmarks.

Lets go and see them one by one.

First are the text based vbulleting results.

What is so special about these results, is that each score is a hyperlink which leads to my Youtube channel and shows how this benchmark result came to be. If you want to check it out that is (warning for spicy wallpapers being used). As you can understand, we are talking serious data uploading here, patiently done with 1mbit upload speed. Especially considering that I upload huge 20mbit files :S

All videos are recorded and uploaded raw at 1080p/60fps. I use an external recorder (Elgato HD 60) so what you will see in all videos is pure performance. I spend a lot of time in every video, showing the system and settings. You may want to skip that. At the end of each video, I show the graphs from Task Manager and MSI Afterburner, with framerate, frametimes, cpu usage, etc.

In some videos you will hear something that resembles coil whine. It is not. In my infinite wisdom I had passed my microphone cable underneath the case of one of my systems, right under the PSU. So every electrical disturbance the sytem created, the microphone captured it. My 970 is dead silent.

The quality/versus column, apart from giving you a basic info of the settings I used (every detail is recorded in the respective video links), also contains hyperlinks that will take you to youtube doubler, where you can see side by side comparisons of the runs.

The difference of the hyperlinks in the columns, is that the ones with the numeric framerate results, lead to the video from the beginning, but the "versus" one takes you to the part where the benchmark started.

In videos that contain more than one result of the table (3dmark, AMD Demos, Lost Planet 2, Mafia, Call of Pripyat, Hitman Absolution, Just Cause 2, Rome II, UE4 demos) , the hyperlink of the result will take you to the beginning of the video, but the versus hyperlink will take you to the part that each respective benchmark starts.

For the side by side hyperlinks, you can use ctrl+mouse wheel up to enlarge the windows, use pause to resync the videos when they go out of sync etc. Ok I have followed the exact same path in my custom gameplay benchmarks, but I am only human guys. :)

Hoping this isn't too confusing, here is the vbulletin text based table with the benchmarks.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|Game./.Benchmark ......................|.Quality.|..Gigabyte.G1.GTX.970@1.5GHz....|
|#######################################|#########|CORE.i5-2500k@4.8GHz|.Q9550@4GHz|
|#######################################|#VERSUS##|################################|
|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|3dmark.API.Feature.test.(SP)...........|...DX11..|....2073693...|....1186114......|
|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|3dmark.API.Feature.test.(MT)...........|...DX11..|....2648000...|....1261697......|
|3dmark.Fire.Strike.(GPU)...............|..normal.|......12830...|......13183......|
|3dmark.Fire.Strike.Extreme(GPU)........|.extreme.|.......5909...|.......6106......|
|3dmark.Fire.Strike.Ultra..(GPU)........|..ultra..|.......2896...|.......2899......|
|3dmark.Fire.Strike.Extreme(CPU)........|.default.|.......8698...|.......6745......|
|3dmark.Ice.Storm.Extreme(GPU)..........|.extreme.|.....290704...|.....184832......|
|3dmark.Ice.Storm.Extreme(CPU)..........|.extreme.|......69902...|......51286......|
|3dmark.Cloud.Gate.(GPU)................|.default.|......87082...|......64280......|
|3dmark.Cloud.Gate.(CPU)................|.default.|.......6288...|.......4570......|
|3dmark.Sky.Diver.(GPU).................|.default.|......43680...|......42923......|
|3dmark.Sky.Diver.(CPU).................|.default.|.......8706...|.......5694......|
|3dmark.11.Extreme.(GPU)................|.extreme.|.......5371...|.......5372......|
|3dmark.11.Extreme.(CPU)................|.extreme.|.......8683...|.......4984......|
|A.New.Dawn.Tech.Demo...................|.default.|.....43,756...|.....43,281......|
|Alan.Wake..............................|..high+..|....114,185...|.....92,224......|
|Alien.Isolation........................|..ultra..|....170,931...|....155,795......|
|Aliens.vs.Predator.....................|..maxed..|.....95,500...|.....93,800......|
|AMD.Demo.HK.2207.......................|.default.|....105,440...|.....98,707......|
|AMD.Demo.Ladybug.......................|.default.|.....69,525...|.....69,218......|
|AMD.Demo.Leo...........................|.default.|.....65,471...|.....59,451......|
|Apollo.11.tech.demo....................|.default.|.....28,326...|.....27,952......|
|Assassin's.Creed.Black.Flag............|.v.high..|.....62,327...|.....54,032......|
|Assassin's.Creed.Rogue.................|..maxed..|.....62,462...|.....60,481......|
|Assassin's.Creed.Unity.................|.ultra(-)|.....70,064...|.....49,074......|
|Assetto.Corsa..........................|..maxed..|.....65,396...|.....66,254......|
|Batman.Arkham.Origins..................|.maxed(-)|.....89,000...|.....83,000......|
|Battlefield..3.........................|..maxed..|....120,386...|....112,487......|
|Battlefield..4.........................|.ultra(-)|....131,588...|.....77,273......|
|Bioshock.Infinite......................|..ultra..|....165,985...|....117,589......|
|Bulletstorm............................|..maxed..|....108,386...|....102,210......|
|Call.Of.Duty.Advanced.Warfare..........|.v.high..|....139,139...|.....81,284......|
|Call.Of.Duty.Ghosts.................|Ultra+2xMSAA|....124,167...|....114,704......|
|Call.Of.Duty.Black.Ops.II..............|..maxed..|....197,703...|....181,410......|
|Call.Of.Juarez.........................|high+4xAA|....203,300...|....172,100......|
|Call.Of.Pripyat.(Day)..................|..maxed..|....117,000...|....105,000......|
|Call.Of.Pripyat.(Night)................|..maxed..|....122,000...|....105,000......|
|Call.Of.Pripyat.(Rain).................|..maxed..|....132,000...|....115,000......|
|Call.Of.Pripyat.(Sunshafts)............|..maxed..|.....87,000...|.....83,000......|
|Crysis.3...............................|.v.high..|.....70,317...|.....66,431......|
|Crysis.................................|vhigh4xAA|.....88,280...|.....57,520......|
|Crysis.Warhead.........................|vhigh4xAA|.....87,340...|.....60,050......|
|Dawn.Of.War.II.........................|..maxed..|....106,980...|.....63,900......|
|Dead.Rising.3..........................|..high+..|.....74,522...|.....60,602......|
|Diablo.3...............................|..maxed..|....194,550...|.....95,790......|
|Dirt.Showdown..........................|ultra4xaa|....125,480...|.....95,310......|
|Dragon.Age.Inquisition.................|.ultra(-)|.....70,399...|.....47,888......|
|Dying.Light............................|..v.high.|.....69,979...|.....38,700......|
|Evolve.................................|vhighsmaa|.....75,960...|.....73,907......|
|F1.2014................................|..maxed..|....128,000...|.....77,000......|
|Far.Cry.4..............................|..ultra..|.....89,196...|.....62,490......|
|Gothic.4...............................|..maxed..|.....80,081...|.....58,597......|
|Grand.Theft.Auto.IV....................|..maxed..|.....53,783...|.....32,521......|
|Grand.Theft.Auto.V.....................|.v.high..|.....96,758...|.....81,619......|
|Grey.Goo...............................|..maxed..|.....66,278...|.....35,473......|
|Grid.Autosport......................|Ultra+4xMSAA|....138,950...|.....69,680......|
|Hard.Reset.............................|..ultra..|....133,000...|.....85,300......|
|Hitman.Absolution...................|Ultra+4xMSAA|.....67,743...|.....57,674......|
|Hitman.Absolution...................|Ultra+noMSAA|.....95,567...|.....58,518......|
|Homefront..............................|..maxed..|....136,757...|....124,240......|
|Just.Cause.2.(The.Dark.Tower)..........|.maxed(-)|....129,820...|....115,270......|
|Just.Cause.2.(Desert.Sunrise)..........|.maxed(-)|....148,920...|....129,260......|
|Just.Cause.2.(Concrete.Jungle).........|.maxed(-)|....103,220...|.....70,370......|
|Lichdom.Battlemage.....................|.v.high..|.....84,109...|.....81,713......|
|Lost.Planet.2.(test.A).................|..maxed..|....144,300...|....124,600......|
|Lost.Planet.2.(test.B).................|..maxed..|.....92,800...|.....66,700......|
|Mafia.2.(no.physx).....................|..maxed..|....129,600...|....120,800......|
|Mafia.2.(high.physx)...................|..maxed..|.....73,500...|.....37,500......|
|Max.Payne.3............................|..maxed..|.....64,199...|.....62,918......|
|Medusa.tech.demo.......................|...4xAA..|....197,087...|....141,223......|
|Metro.Last.Light.Redux.................|.v.high..|.....93,100...|.....67,570......|
|Monster.Hunter.Online..................|...4xAA..|......13358...|......12710......|
|Next.Car.Game..........................|..maxed..|.....97,097...|.....65,953......|
|Pneuma.Breath.of.Life..................|..maxed..|....104,504...|.....56,366......|
|Prince.of.Persia.Forgotten.Sands.......|..maxed..|....253,316...|....184,152......|
|Project.Cars...........................|.maxed(-)|.....61,567...|.....34,032......|
|Red.Faction.Armageddon.................|..maxed..|.....97,907...|.....69,613......|
|Resident.Evil.6........................|..maxed..|......18043...|......11740......|
|Risen.3................................|..maxed..|....138,077...|....121,566......|
|Ryse.Son.of.Rome.......................|...high..|.....68,959...|.....39,579......|
|Saint's.Row.Gat.Out.Of.Hell............|..maxed..|....104,804...|.....85,616......|
|Serious.Sam.3..........................|..maxed..|....134,712...|....119,952......|
|Shadow.of.Mordor.......................|..ultra..|.....83,327...|.....62,431......|
|Shadow.Warrior.........................|..maxed..|.....75,772...|.....72,296......|
|Skyrim.(modded)........................|..maxed..|....130,127...|.....85,141......|
|Sleeping.Dogs.........................|extreme(-)|....130,100...|....104,634......|
|Sniper.Elite.3.........................|..ultra..|....153,860...|....151,148......|
|Starcraft.II...........................|..maxed..|.....83,913...|.....50,284......|
|Stone.Giant............................|.default.|....200,741...|....188,547......|
|Supersonic.Sled.Demo...................|..16xAA..|....133,399...|.....98,942......|
|Tessmark.0.3.0.........................|.insane8x|....160,000...|....159,000......|
|The.Evil.Within........................|..maxed..|.....59,976...|.....57,017......|
|The.Talos.Principle....................|..ultra..|....107,800...|....101,400......|
|Thief..................................|.v.high..|.....81,800...|.....46,300......|
|Thief..................................|.^noSSAA.|....106,400...|.....46,500......|
|Tomb.Raider............................|.ultimate|.....94,890...|.....93,730......|
|Total.War.Rome.II......................|.extreme.|.....72,100...|.....53,500......|
|Total.War.Rome.II......................|..maxed..|.....63,100...|.....48,700......|
|Trine.II...............................|..maxed..|.....87,311...|.....87,349......|
|Unigine.Heaven.4.......................|c.extreme|.....59,900...|.....58,900......|
|Unigine.Valley.........................|extremeHD|.....62,800...|.....59,800......|
|Unreal.Engine.4.Elemental.Demo.........|.default.|....108,021...|.....80,268......|
|Unreal.Engine.4.Mountains.&.Landscapes.|.default.|....152,934...|....134,364......|
|Unreal.Engine.4.Matinee.Demo...........|.default.|.....65,998...|.....40,964......|
|WatchDogs..............................|..ultra..|.....65,220...|.....30,373......|
|Witcher.2..............................|.c.ultra.|....117,954...|.....96,627......|
|Woolfe.The.Red.Hood.Diaries............|..maxed..|....151,611...|....124,612......|
|Zombie.Army.Trilogy....................|..maxed..|....168,398...|....146,968......|

Of course results without the difference in percentage and a total average, are useless, so here they are.

These are screenies from my excel file converted to PDF, for which I will also provide download links, so you can delete what benchmarks you don't want and build a result that suits you.

They also contain driver info used for each bench as well as a general description of the settings.

And here are the first 40 most cpu limited benchmarks, with their own average. The i7-860 tests will be based on these.

Here are the download links for the excel and pdf files for your convenience.

-Top 40 Benchmark results sorted by delta
-Benchmark results alphabetical PDF
-Benchmark results alphabetical Excel

And last but not least, graphs! Lots of them!

These need no explanation. :)

So this is the conclusion of this benchmark suite my friends.

I hope it will be of value for some of you.

Will be back to add the i7-860 tests, for which I am very sorry that they are not ready yet, but I've been constructing this test for a long time and I wanted to see it take some form finally.

Needless to say that any constructive criticism, ideas, benchmarks that you would like added, are more than welcome.

Take care

reserved for i7-860

Congrats to the TPU admins that have not put any silly limits in the forums.

You know things like 10000 characters per post, 10 pictures per post, etc

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
Might want to work on your layout, otherwise nobody will read it. Too much text, not clearly laid out.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Thumbnails, use them.
Most people will skim and only read or look at what they think is relevant.
When there's a wall of text or a gazillion pics I don't bother.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Should have included some stock speed results. Or at least ran the 2500k at the same speed as the Q9550 to show off the difference in architecture. The results seem a little unfair or at least unbalanced. Everyone knows that a 4.8ghz 2500k will eat whatever game or benchmark you throw at it for breakfast. There is just no contest. Its obvious the 2500k is gonna cream the Q9550 hands down.

Mindweaver

Moderato®™
Staff member
System Name Tower of Power / Sechs
Processor i7 14700K / i7 5820k @ 4.5ghz
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming WiFi D4 / X99S GAMING 7
Cooling CM MasterLiquid ML360 Mirror ARGB Close-Loop AIO / CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i Extreme
Memory CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600 / G.Skill DDR4 2800 16GB 4x4GB
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 4070 Ti / ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 3070 V2 OC Edition
Storage 4x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2, 2x Crucial 1TB SSD / Samsung 870 PRO 500GB M.2
Display(s) Samsung 32" Odyssy G5 Gaming 144hz 1440p, ViewSonic 32" 72hz 1440p / 2x ViewSonic 32" 72hz 1440p
Case Phantek "400A" / Phanteks “Enthoo Pro series”
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC4080 / Azalia Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Corsair RM Series RM750 / Corsair CXM CX600M
Mouse Glorious Gaming Model D Wireless / Razer DeathAdder Chroma
Keyboard Glorious GMMK with box-white switches / Keychron K6 pro with blue swithes
VR HMD Quest 3 (128gb) + Rift S + HTC Vive + DK1
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 / Windows 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Yes
Might want to work on your layout, otherwise nobody will read it. Too much text, not clearly laid out.
Yea, I agree he should use spoiler tags. :toast: We also, have table tags as well. Of course the table one can get a little confusing if you don't code often. I'm impressed with the @9550 overclock. :toast:

FreedomEclipse

Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
Yea, I agree he should use spoiler tags. :toast: We also, have table tags as well. Of course the table one can get a little confusing if you don't code often. I'm impressed with the @9550 overclock. :toast:

i was 100mhz shy of 4Ghz back when i had my Q9550 :( I swear i could have gotten 4Ghz but i didnt want to up the voltage anymore.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
You obviously put alot of work into this...:respect:. Thanks for sharing these results of so much of your free time! This will be useful for people still sporting old upper-tier C2Q cpu's, both in terms of knowing the current usefulness and in terms of how much an improvement could be gained by switching platforms/cpu.

I do however agree that the presentation will put alot of people off, and could be redesigned and either thumbnailed or spoiler-tagged. Finally, the real test, as @FreedomEclipse pointed out was either not done or not recorded. Both running at their stock speed would have been very useful. Based on my own experiences, I suspect the difference between the two in benchmarks would have been further apart.

Overall, Great Job!!

Mindweaver

Moderato®™
Staff member
Cooling CM MasterLiquid ML360 Mirror ARGB Close-Loop AIO / CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i Extreme
Memory CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600 / G.Skill DDR4 2800 16GB 4x4GB
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 4070 Ti / ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 3070 V2 OC Edition
Storage 4x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2, 2x Crucial 1TB SSD / Samsung 870 PRO 500GB M.2
Display(s) Samsung 32" Odyssy G5 Gaming 144hz 1440p, ViewSonic 32" 72hz 1440p / 2x ViewSonic 32" 72hz 1440p
Keyboard Glorious GMMK with box-white switches / Keychron K6 pro with blue swithes
Benchmark Scores Yes
i was 100mhz shy of 4Ghz back when i had my Q9550 :( I swear i could have gotten 4Ghz but i didnt want to up the voltage anymore.
Yea, I was only able to get mine to 3.8ghz with v1.4 under an H50 cooler. That chip loved voltage..lol It's still running, but at stock. It was like night and day moving from it to a 2600k for gaming.

FreedomEclipse

Display(s) LG GP850-B
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
Yea, I was only able to get mine to 3.8ghz with v1.4 under an H50 cooler. That chip loved voltage..lol It's still running, but at stock. It was like night and day moving from it to a 2600k for gaming.

what stepping were you running? I was running a E0. i think the C1 only managed to get around 3.6Ghz tops.

I think i have some of my old 3Dmark scores with 4870s or 5850s but i'll dig them up when i get back home from work

Mindweaver

Moderato®™
Staff member
Benchmark Scores Yes
what stepping were you running? I was running a E0. i think the C1 only managed to get around 3.6Ghz tops
I had an E0. I lapped the processor as well check it out. I had around 8 pc's in that room crunching 24/7 and in the summer it would hit 80 degrees easy in that room. So, I had to back off a little.

XSI

System Name Mother PC/XSI PC/ Laptop
Processor I3 6100 Skylake@3.7/Intel Core2Duo E8400@3.0-3.7Ghz/Amd sempron 2100+
Motherboard B150M MSI Night ELF/ASUS P5Q PRO P45/
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper Evo 212/ X 2
Memory Kingston HyperX Fury 2x4GB DDR4@2133 Dual channel /Adata 2x2 GB DDR2@800 dual channel/ 2,5GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Windforce 950GTX/MSI 8800GT OC Zilent edition@660/1650/950 / ATI Radeon x1250
Storage 1pc:240GB SSD Kingston HyperX Fury/2PC:Intel 330 SSD 60GB/Samsung 500 GB/Samsung 320GB/80 GB
Display(s) LG 22MP58VQ 1920x1080/ Samsung 2232BW - 22" 1680X1050 and LG Full HDTV 50" / 15" 1280x800
Case Deepcool Tesseract Red/ Modded no name case
Audio Device(s) Realtec 1150/Creative X-FI, Xtreme Gamer + Samsung 5.1 HT + additional 4 speakers and subwoofer
Power Supply EVGA 500B Bronze 80+/ Chieftek 650W 80+.
Mouse Cheapo 5$ mouse/ trackpad :)
Keyboard Some cheap 10$
Software Windows 10/Win 10/ Win 8.1
Benchmark Scores later :)
i would give you a medal for all this work!!! impressive big THX. i always like old vs new comparisons :) until i upgrade everything :D

edit 1: was thinking to upgrade my pc....all i need to do is replace e8400 to q9550 and
8800 to 960-970 and im good :) lol almost all games 60+ on max...damn im happy playing the game on 40 fps.
btw almost same MB (Asus p5q pro) didn't think they are so powerful.

edit2: it would be really interesting to see 4ghz results of 2500k too. would give so much info.

Last edited:
System Name Lowman
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard Asus X570 Gaming E
Cooling 3x 360mm Radiator D5 Pump
Memory 4x 16GB 3600 Trident Z Neo
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 6900XT Merc 319 Black + Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 2x Samsung 970 Evo M.2 1TB + SSDs + Nas
Display(s) LG Ultragear 34gn850, 2x Dell S2721DGFA, Samsung G9 Odyssey, Philips 4K 40" (BDM4065UC),
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL + front Distro Plate
Audio Device(s) NI Komplete Audio 2, JBL 305, Teufel SW5000 THX Sub, Rode NT1-A Steelseries Arctis Pro Wireless
Power Supply ASUS ROG Thor Platinum 850w
Mouse Logitech G903
Keyboard Logitech G815
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores Timespy 18630
My Q9550 was rock solid for years @4,0ghz... unfortunately, after a BIOS update i gave it the maximum Voltage the board allowed to by accident.
Since the incident it's stable to 3,6ghz with reasonable voltage. Today it's on duty in a friends PC. Still fast enough for nearly everything except gaming with DDR2 memory holding it back.

System Name Lowman
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard Asus X570 Gaming E
Cooling 3x 360mm Radiator D5 Pump
Memory 4x 16GB 3600 Trident Z Neo
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 6900XT Merc 319 Black + Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 2x Samsung 970 Evo M.2 1TB + SSDs + Nas
Display(s) LG Ultragear 34gn850, 2x Dell S2721DGFA, Samsung G9 Odyssey, Philips 4K 40" (BDM4065UC),
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL + front Distro Plate
Audio Device(s) NI Komplete Audio 2, JBL 305, Teufel SW5000 THX Sub, Rode NT1-A Steelseries Arctis Pro Wireless
Power Supply ASUS ROG Thor Platinum 850w
Mouse Logitech G903
Keyboard Logitech G815
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores Timespy 18630
i would give you a medal for all this work!!! impressive big THX. i always like old vs new comparisons :) until i upgrade everything :D

edit 1: was thinking to upgrade my pc....all i need to do is replace e8400 to q9550 and
8800 to 960-970 and im good :) lol almost all games 60+ on max...damn im happy playing the game on 40 fps.

edit2: it would be really interesting to see 4ghz results of 2500k too. would give so much info.

I wouldn't recommend the upgrade since the architecture is too old with its DDR2 Memory. Save a few bucks and go for an i5 Setup with DDR3 for gaming instead. - or leave it like it is :)

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
was thinking to upgrade my pc....all i need to do is replace e8400 to q9550 and

I wouldn't advise it. I can tell you from current experience that DDR2 is the weak point. Both from a speed standpoint as well as a size standpoint. Although alot of end-model P45 chipsets had 16GB of RAM capable, in practicality, the trial and error of instability is too hard for most people to get working properly if you overclock, which is of course a necessity with those old processors.

What you're left with is 8GB of slow DDR2. And Dragon Age:Inquisition loaded up will bring most systems to 7GB of usage, as an example. We're at the point I believe, that the mantra of "8GB is enough for gaming" will soon pass.

Last edited:

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
System Name The Command Center
Processor i7 6950X @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard ASUS X99 Deluxe II
Cooling Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3
Memory 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury White 2666MHz
Video Card(s) Radeon VII 16GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus + 5TB Seagate 2.5"
Display(s) LG 27GN950 27" 4K 144Hz IPS
Power Supply Corsair CS750M 750W 80+ Gold
Software Windows 10 PRO x64
That's a great comparison you've compiled here! Looking forward to seeing the i7 860 @ 4GHz results, too.

System Name Karl Arsch v. u. z. Abgewischt
Processor i5 3770K @5GHz delided
Motherboard ASRock Z77 Professional
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer 240
Memory 4x 4GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Video Card(s) GTX 970
Storage Samsung 830 - 512GB; 2x 2TB WD Blue
Display(s) Samsung T240 1920x1200
Case Bitfenix Shinobie XL
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Cougar G600
Mouse Logitech G500
Keyboard CMStorm Ultimate QuickFire (CherryMX Brown)
Software Win7 Pro 64bit
Nice job mate!

Though I agree with some others here, that I ve would have found it more usefull running all CPUs at the same speed.

----

The Q9550 E0 was a really good CPU for its time. With a good motherboard (EP45-UD3 R or P or DFI Lanparty) and some decent memory it could run 4 GHz 24/7. My sample did 4 GHz with 1.28V, sadly my motherbord wasnt able to run an FSB of 480 MHz or more stable. Though I did manage a short prime run with 4.2 GHz (1.37V) - with 4x 2GB RAM!

Does anyone know if its possible to find old cpu-z validations when the email (link) is missing?

ruftman

Really impressive work.

I'm looking forward to the I7 860 benchmarks. I own an I7 860 and I'm wondering if it's worth upgrading in comparison to the 2500k.

But, right now the I7 860 does everything I use my computer for very well. I combine it with an SSD, 16 GB DDR3 memory and a GTX 660.

System Name Hakase
Processor Ryzen 7 3700X @ Stock
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-F
Cooling Noctua NH-U12S
Memory 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3000MHz 18-18-18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX1070 Dual
Storage 250GB 860EVO - 2x600GB Cheetah 15k7 - 2x2TB Constellation ES - 2+3TB Green - 500GB Deskstar
Display(s) Viewsonic VX2476-smhd
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Fostex PC100USB > Altec Lansing ATP-3
Power Supply Corsair CX750M
Mouse Logitech G Pro X Superlight - Razer ExactMat Control
Keyboard Leopold FC750R, MX Blue
Software Win 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores not benching anymore...
this is the one benchmark and test that i really needs.

exccept i have a slower GPU, and a low slower CPU,
i want to see, how much difference in gaming C2Q and a newer i5 is.

if the difference is less than 30% in pretty much all the suite, im getting the C2Q, from my C2D

edit :
just seen the graphs (damn office connection sucks)
so for the most part, an i5 2500k @ 4.8 is 60% faster than Q9550 @ 4GHz
all the games that really matters with CPU is newer AAA titled games.

based on this, i think im keeping my motherboard and getting a Q9550 instead, rather than buying a new X58 board, PSU and RAM just to change to an X5675

thank you so much for all the benchmarks, and testing, this is really helpful

Last edited:
Thank you guys for your feedback and your constructive criticism.

Well I did have a lot to say, so the wall of text could not be avoided. Also I don't see what wrong with the format.
It has paragraphs, the text is as clear as my non English nativity allows, the graphics are understandable.

As for the spoilers, yeah that could help. Thumbnails though? Not really.

In any case, your opinions are dully noted for the next big test. If I find the time maybe I'll try some reformatting here, if time allows.

System Name zalman11
Processor i7 860 @3.95ghz
Motherboard gygabite p55m
Cooling cooler master evo 212
Memory 12gb ddr3 1500mhz
Video Card(s) amd hd 7870 2gb
Storage sandisc ultra plus 256gb,toshiba 2tb,western digital 4tb
Display(s) acer v243hl
Case zalman z11 plus
Power Supply evga 1000w gold
Software windows 8.1
very good work , waiting for i7 860 results.

They are ready my friend. Just waiting my freagin uploads to finish.

The 860 did much better of course.

Also I had to upload some in between benchmarks from games that came out and the whole process has been delayed.

At this point I wonder if I should better wait for Witcher 3 to come out, to include it as well.

thanks

Last edited:
System Name Windows 10 64-bit Core i7 6700
Processor Intel Core i7 6700
Motherboard Asus Z170M-PLUS
Cooling Corsair AIO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Kingston DDR4 2666
Video Card(s) Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB, Seagate Baracuda 1 TB
Display(s) Dell P2414H
Case Corsair Carbide Air 540
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair TX v2 650W
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard CM Storm Quickfire Pro, Cherry MX Reds
Software MS Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
There is just no contest. Its obvious the 2500k is gonna cream the Q9550 hands down.
These comparisons are obviously not for contest ... I see it as a good indicator of how demanding each game is for the CPU generally. What this research unfortunately can't show is that many games can be light on the CPU 90% of the time and in 10% of the time with some of the action filled sequences game gets more CPU heavy.

FreedomEclipse

Display(s) LG GP850-B
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
These comparisons are obviously not for contest ... I see it as a good indicator of how demanding each game is for the CPU generally. What this research unfortunately can't show is that many games can be light on the CPU 90% of the time and in 10% of the time with some of the action filled sequences game gets more CPU heavy.

It would ve a vettwr comparison if both cpus were running at the same clock speed regardless of cpu usage